Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can spirulina help with problem skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
Thanks DM, I quess I had scrolled right past the link. Smile

No problem, you are welcome, I buy mine either at Whole Foods or my neighorbhood health food store, but there are places to order online if it's not sold locally for you. Smile

DM

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:54 am      Reply with quote
I live in the UK, so i'm going to nip to my local Holland and Barret health store today for some supplies of powder & capsules of spirulina and do some research into creams & masks containing spirulina and give it go for a couple of weeks. If anyone knows any DIY face mask recipes for spirulina powder then i'd be grateful to hear about them, but i'll trawl elsewhere on the internet also to see if i can find any, along with any made up spirulina cream or masks.

i'll post my results in the near future hopefully!

Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

i've treid spirulina powder several times, but I always find my stomach gets quite bloated. Anyone elase have this problem with it ?

thanks

Jackie xx
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:51 am      Reply with quote
I've used a plain spirulina paste (Spirulina and water) for a mask...it left my face very smooth...but it dries too TOO TOO hard/tight (although comes off easily with water) so i've also been thinking about how to add it to other diy masks (I'm sure it could also be added to ready made products..it's just that i always make my diy products from scratch)i have seen it listed in the ingredients in more'esoteric' brands w/o any lab made ingredients added..there are a lot of those out there (meaning these products in general..not with spirulina added)..wish EDS carried some of them.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Jackie, i'm wondering if you are having a detox reaction.

i had typed a post to mariajj about the spirulina detox reaction..but it was 'lost' in cyberspace somehow...

so.....spirulina, depending on one's diet..can be detoxing at first (and everytime the amount is increased, also deoending on one's diet/health)...and the skin ...spots/cysts?rashes... are defininetely one channel that the body uses to get rid of old stored/new toxins in the body (which actually can be environmentally caused..as well as dietarily caused).

best to start out slowly...1/4 teapoon a day perhaps for a week or so...depending on your body's reaction..then week by week increase it by 1/4 tsp. or so till your taking at least 1 tbl. a day.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:15 am      Reply with quote
i'm cross-posting this from another thread i've posted on (w/a few variations in text)...

Spirulina csn esily become rancid...personally,i don't like to buy any of my powdered greens from the health food store, including the larger super market type health food stores like Whole Foods, because my experience has been that they are rancid...to one degree or another...and becuase spirulina contains naturally occuring efa's (essential fatty acids) it is especially prone to rancidity. It becomes very fishy smelling and fishy tasting, too, when it is very rancid..but, like i say, there are varying degrees of rancidity...but it may contribute to why some people don't like the taste (of course some people don't like the taste anyway )

it should be stored in the freezer when you take it home (don't wait till you open it..it can still rancidify)

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:21 am      Reply with quote
This is the thread that i cross posted from....it's titled 'Skinny with wrinkles or plump tummy with no wrinkles' http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=37314

there's a lot posted about spirulina toward the current end of that thread...best places to buy online/best brands/best prices, etc.

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

i've treid spirulina powder several times, but I always find my stomach gets quite bloated. Anyone elase have this problem with it ?

thanks

Jackie xx

Jackie even the capsules Perfect Food from garden of life have you start with a low dose and gradually increase, same with Radical Fruits. The originator of the company came up with these to cure himself of Crone's disease and succeeded that says a lot for an "incurable" disease. The reasoning is that because drastic dietary changes like adding these can actually make you feel worse before better what JR is reffering to as detox taking things slowly decreases the issues that you tend to see by jumping in full throttle and taking the full dose right off the bat.
As far as rancidity with this brand I have used them for a number of years and never had a problem at all, plus I like getting so many more greens and fruits at one felt swoop.

About the mask I have a book by the woman who is 1/2 the husband and wife team that founded Aubrey Organics (hiding from me right now) but she has a recipe for a nice mask using blue-green algea powder I am sure if you can find a homemade algea mask just substitute the spirullina for the algea. If my book
comes out of hiding I will post the recipe for that mask.
I find the Garden Of Life products which use a fast freeze dry method to preserve the nutrients as quickly as possible after harvesting and they only grow in tested soil for nutrient value as well as contaminents to be very very scruplious about delivering the highest quality possible! The added probiotics help any of that initial gass and detox to be lessened a great deal.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:01 am      Reply with quote
BTW
I have the pleasure of knowing a manager of a Whole Foods Market as a friend and from many discussions he has informed me that the chain is picky to the point of (almost) the absurd about what they will and will not carry in the stores. That includes fillers, freshness and quality in every sense of the word.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Darkmoon, it's not that i'm doubting the quality of Whole Foods green powders(that's an issue i haven't really explored one way or the other) but the rate of turnover once the product is purchased by the store and put on the self.

it's been a long time since i've tried spirulina,and other green products from WF shelves..so perhaps these products aren't as rancid as they were before. but i have to say that i have a particular sensitivity to rancidity..and detect it when others often can't...the nuts/seeds at most WF's stores, for example...especially in the winter when the heat is up all the time...is intense...and i know i won't use them..similarly the oils on their shelves( the ones they don't refrigerate) are often rancid...simply because they are on the shelves not refrigerated...just seems, to me, it's healthier to deal with places where the product is fresher...(also the expense is so much more at WF than on many places online)...not saying that WF doesn't serve a purpose, or that people of integrity don't work there (i know a few myself)...just that it has it's limitations.

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:46 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey,

My experience is quite different here in Florida, but what I am addressing most specifically on top of an organic whole food diet are the Garden Of Life Brands that I posted links to, these can be purchased online as well. When you order something online or in a store, unless you truly trust the brand you have no idea how long things sat in the warehouse on a shelf or the conditions under which they have been stored. I also prefer to get the benefits of many greens and fruits plus the probiotics! I have read the founders 2 books and find this brand quite reputable. He actually tried to give his findings away just to help others that suffered but couldn't find any takers so instead started the company in order to get these out there for everyone interested. You might find his books interesting if you chose to read them.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:08 am      Reply with quote
I did read the first of his books when it came out some years ago. (i usd to use, almost religiously, garden of life products..and my dh also still uses a few of them..and is very true to them)...i have my own personal feelings about the company and it's 'progression' as time has gone by...but i still feel it's a fine enough product line...much better than most..and i am happy you have found something that you genuinely appreciate.

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:21 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey,

Having seen what following his diet as much as possible and taking this brand has done for one of my 4 who was cursed with Ulcerative Colitis I have not seen the growth of the company causing any changes in the quality of the products. His second book is much more in depth than the first actually. But I have to say to each his/her own. These work for me and my family, especially a son with what was a debilitating disease, who now can work and attend university instead of living his life based on how fast he can get to the bathroom!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:07 am      Reply with quote
That's wonderful Darkmoon, a very very inspiring heartwarming story about your son...must tell my dh who is very heart-centered and really hears and cares about these kind of personal healings and transformations at a very deep personal level.

sometimes, because i've been involved in this field for do msny years (decades) i've been kind of sequestered and can get kind of picky about, comparatively speaking, insignificant stuff like 'life force', vibrational energy, etc. in products ( for example I feel Health Force is a much more intensely healing/vibrationally powerful brand than Garden of Life)...but then I literally get shocked when i get a glimpse of what most people actually are eating, supplements they take/ things they put on their skin, etc...

so, especially, given that prospective..Garden of life is an incredible product..and it would be very, very beneficial for most folks to use those products... and to have the understanding that the founder, and you, have about food and healing....

s

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Jasminerosey - I just checked out some of the Health force line. Thanks, as always for upping the bar in this area.

It certainly is a more esoteric brand than the mainstream ones.

What products do you use from this line?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:53 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey,

I think it's great that you found what works for you as well!
In my son's case all the fiber insoluble in particular is a major issue, this diet and really a total lifestyle change along with these supplements have been a godsend! When anyone with either Crohn's or UC goes into flair the lining of the intestines or with UC the colon only becomes inflamed and very thin fiber just causes tearing and bleeding amongst other issues. This helps him get those crucial nutrients his body could not tolerate any other way. There are many other recommendations about diet in both books that have worked wonders. I would not expect you to agree for yourself on his take on diet, although all free range grass grazed organic only he does consider meat as a source of protein very necessary.
I might not have ever worked in the field of nutrition but I have studied about this since my teens at 56 that's been quite a while. So what works for some may not work for another. I just find these an excellent choice for me and mine.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 am      Reply with quote
If you are a meat eater and care about your family's nutrition, grass fed, pasture raised beef is the only way to go. And chickens - free range only. Also best of all - know the source! Otherwise why bother with meat protein that comes from an otherwise sickly raised animal? I can't even think about industrial raised animal foods. Totally grosses me out.

The same situation exists with our choice of greens and supplementation. Know your source. What works for one, certainly may not be the best answer for another but if you make choices based on education and reason most of us will do okay. Plus with spirulina supplementation (and other more unusual types) you have to be willing to step out of the box especially if using in a powdered form. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
You may also consider your take on pork and shellfish, anything that consumes waste of other creatures is living off the toxic yuck that other animals discard and pass those on to you if eating them, even Tilapia a popular fish are used in carp farms to clean the waste then once the carp reach sale size, the tilapia are then sold for your dining pleasure.

DM Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
it should be stored in the freezer when you take it home (don't wait till you open it..it can still rancidify)

Good to know....!i wait till i open the box ...oh well next time

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the replies girls!

I still have a tub of spirulina powder, so I may go back to it and start slowly,

Jackie xx
Peggotty
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Great info! The spirullina and chlorella everyone is taking is in powdered form or pills?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Peggotty wrote:
Great info! The spirullina and chlorella everyone is taking is in powdered form or pills?

That depends some are using powder and some pills, I take some with a load of other ingredients in tablets that's what works best for me, plus they contain a probiotic in them.

DM Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
even Tilapia a popular fish are used in carp farms to clean the waste then once the carp reach sale size, the tilapia are then sold for your dining pleasure.

DM Smile

gee thanks, we eat, or should I say "ate," tilapia regularly until now. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
fab50 wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
even Tilapia a popular fish are used in carp farms to clean the waste then once the carp reach sale size, the tilapia are then sold for your dining pleasure.

DM Smile

gee thanks, we eat, or should I say "ate," tilapia regularly until now. Wink

Sorry about that Fab! Funny but I saw that on the TV show Dirty Jobs when my one son was watching about a carp farm, that did it for me! I stick to deep sea fish now. I just can't even think about eating anything that survives that way!

DM Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Peggotty wrote:

That depends some are using powder and some pills, I take some with a load of other ingredients in tablets that's what works best for me, plus they contain a probiotic in them.

DM Smile

Great. Thanks! So powder is not better than pills and vice versa, right? These are sea veggies right, so would it be better to eat the real thing?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |