Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Plumping a gaunt face
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Following on from discussion on plump tummy with no wrinkles Confused , does anyone know any tried and tested tactics that work to plump the face?

I don't really have wrinkles, but have lost a lot of fat from my face over the last 3 years - its the most ageing thing for me!

Apart from putting on lots more weight, what other things can I try?

I do facial exercises, but haven't done them for a while. Are there any supplements that help with this? Also, does dry brushing the face have any effect?

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 am      Reply with quote
gain weights Smile
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mowgli, I might be able to help as I intend to keep my face looking like a pillow as long as I naturally can.

One of the best things I have found is to adopt a low glycemic diet. Sugar and simple carbs can cause the collagen to dimish.

I also drink tomato juice everyday to provide the skin with lycopene, which studies have suggested acts as an internal sunscreen. I also drink lots of green tea, mainly to keep me alert. Matcha tea is awesome.

On top of this, I smoother Mexoryl SX/XL sunscreen everyday.

I cannot comment on topicals becuase I haven't had much experience of them but Vitamin C/E serums and hyaluronic acid may help.

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
mowgli wrote:
Following on from discussion on plump tummy with no wrinkles Confused , does anyone know any tried and tested tactics that work to plump the face?

I don't really have wrinkles, but have lost a lot of fat from my face over the last 3 years - its the most ageing thing for me!

Apart from putting on lots more weight, what other things can I try?

I do facial exercises, but haven't done them for a while. Are there any supplements that help with this? Also, does dry brushing the face have any effect?

Hi Mowgli,
I experienced something similar to you in my late 20's. My weight or body shape didn't change but my round face gradually became more gaunt and angular. I never found a way to combat this and whilst I felt it looked ageing at the time, I now believe it was a blessing. I'm 42 next month and my face shape has hardly changed. No sagging jowls or double chin (no flesh to fall!). I damaged my skin slightly last year with an intensive dermatologist-led regime but other than that, I've hardly aged in the last 15 years. I began some gentle facial exercises when I was 36yo, but hadn't done anything else.
If your gauntness starts to get you down, just think about A. Jolie and how much better she looks now than in her early 20's.
SandraD4880
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Are you thin, average or overweight in your body? It makes a difference in your face.
I've found cheese fat goes straight to my face! I try not to eat it, and successfully didn't during my 10 month vegan days. After being a vegan, my face isn't what it used to be. Some of the fat came back, but not all. Cheese helps me, but then it's also bad for other reasons Sad
I recently saw some pics of Vegan Me 2006-2007, I looked sooo old. My NL Folds were ATROCIOUS! I think that's what started them! I was toooo skinny. I remember I was 100 lbs (5'2") and it just doesn't look good on my frame. Now I'm 125.

I think Angelina Jolie looked MUCH better in the movie Hackers than anything else she's ever been in. She looks scary now, and those arms need some meat!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:46 am      Reply with quote
SandraD4880 wrote:

I think Angelina Jolie looked MUCH better in the movie Hackers than anything else she's ever been in. She looks scary now, and those arms need some meat!

This is an interesting topic. I've been thinking of ways to make my face look plumper although I loathe the idea of fillers. For years I've wanted to find a way to fill out my sharp facial angles but this thread has got me thinking that I'm actually lucky that I have a gaunt face.

Sandra you're right, when AJ looked better will have differing opinions. But if she had kept her plump face as in Hackers, as she's aged, she would have alot more problems now keeping it in place as there would be alot of flesh able to head south as each year goes by. I guess in a weird way you can compare it to breasts Embarassed Think large ones v small pert ones - which age better? OK so full cheeks don't carry the same amount of weight as a large boob but you don't get to hold your cheeks up from gravity with a bra.
There is one problem with many people with gaunt faces; their face will be gaunt because they don't eat enough (defo AJ but I got the impression this wasn't the case with Mowgli). If you eat well but are naturally slim (I'm never far from 116lbs at 5ft 7in, am married to a food obsessed Italian, never dieted in my life and eat like a pig!), then believe me, a face more on the gaunt side later in life is a good thing. I can speak from personal experience on that point! When I look at my peers and wonder why many look older than me, it's nearly always because their faces are more plump and gravity has taken a its toll.
I don't think I look too bad for 41 11/12th's !! But you can see the sharp angles under my cheekbones - these were much fuller in my 20's so my face was round.

Sorry excuse the life-size portrait... still can't work out how to make the images smaller Confused
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 am      Reply with quote
miranda - you look beautiful! i have a really similar face chape to yours, high cheekbones, and have lost fat around the cheek and temples. But it suits you! I never really thought about how have a slimmer face could be a good thing, and actually, now that I think of my maternal grandmother, she has a face like mine, and still looks pretty good for her age (80!) compared to others...

I am not skinny, I'm actually 4 kg heavier than my usual weight (56kg at 5'4"), so putting on more weight wouldn seem to work in my case. I would put on more weight, but it doesnt seem to go to my face (just my boobs! GAH!)

Maybe I should focus on how to work with this look rather than (or maybe as well as) trying to fight it - you are right Miranda, it doesnt have to be a negative thing..

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:59 am      Reply with quote
and just for reference for anyone else reading this thread - here are the things I am/was doing to try and plump up my face
1. facial exercise - had a very good effect to begin with, and is maybe helping to maintain the fat I do have in my face? will continue with this at a low level
2. I use a hyaluronic acid serum - with continued use, seems to have a plumping effect on my skin - but obviously does not have the effects of boosting the underlying fat

londonjamie - I do also drink tons of green tea everyday - not sure how that will help my face stay plump, but I love it for its other health benefits! I take omega oils too..

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Miranda, you are such a beauty (interesting/soulful looking as well..which is really just as important to me as beauty in appreciating someone's 'look')

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
bordnfl2
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I had a very found face when I was younger and as the years went on, with up and down weight and pregnancy, it changed and got a lot thinner. Probably because I lost weight as well recently, I have some sagging that is not pretty, but I'm starting to do facial exercise.

I have friends that are overweight and have fuller faces with double chins and less wrinkles than me. However, they do not look young in my opinion. In fact, some look matronly so I guess there are issues either way.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Beautiful picture, Miranda. I have a similar shaped face -- my jaw is wider, but issues with prominent cheekbones (developed via facial exercising) and not enough fat below them.

People around here are very weight/health conscious, so I don't know too many that I'd call overweight (of course, they all think they're fat) and they tend to have a lot of facial sag. (Love the boob analogy! But then, I am flat-chested.)

I have one friend who is about 60 who has the face of a 25-year-old, not a wrinkle or sag, glowing skin. When she is complimented on her looks, she says it's because she's fat, which in her case is actually true. I have always been skinny and don't think I could ever gain that kind of weight, but if I knew I'd look like that if I did...well, I might put in a supreme effort!
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Miranda for posting your picture. You look super fantastic. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
I liked it when my chipmunk cheeks went away in my thirties because I could see that I had great cheekbones. I looked more sophisticated. I wouldn't want a pillow face now. Is that the new trend now, replacing pillow lips?
maheen1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:20 am      Reply with quote
Prominent cheekbones and angular face..its sooo Sexy Very Happy
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:40 am      Reply with quote
I thought I'd take a look at this thread again and had a line of excuses ready to counter posts on how my face shape looks like a skull! But thank you so much for the compliments; it's always hard when you post a pic and leave yourself open to criticism but you are all so kind and it makes me feel even more positive about how I've aged and lost my facial fat.
But the best thing is that you Mowgli now feel better about yourself so it's worth the cringe-factor for me! Three years is fast in terms of your face changing dramatically but just look at it as a new and exciting you that will probably give you less problems as the years go by.

mowgli wrote:
Maybe I should focus on how to work with this look rather than (or maybe as well as) trying to fight it - you are right Miranda, it doesnt have to be a negative thing..

ps By the way, I do have to say my camera distorts; if my eyes are closer to the lens, it makes them look huge; if it's my mouth then I get luscious lips. However both are countered by either an alien-sized forehead or a hideous nose deformity. I went for the slight nose-distortion and more prominent mouth!!
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Miranda - you look stunning and beautiful! I wish I had your face, you don't have a wrinkle in sight and your skin looks fantastic.
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Miranda you are so beautiful! Great bone structure & skin and such pretty eyes!
maheen1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
you are a total hottie Smile
Zelda
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:34 am      Reply with quote
Miranda

You look beautiful, very East European with those high cheekbones, like a Romanian Gypsy.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:51 am      Reply with quote
Miranda, you are really (movie star) beautiful. I love the shape of your face.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
zina
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:24 am      Reply with quote
I am 23 years old and skinny.When I was a kid and a teenager I had a lot plumper face..Well, I don't believe in my eyes when I see older pictures of me and realise that my upper lids were droopy!!!
My face shape was better ( I have an oval face with somehow more pointy chin-think Jennifer lopez's face) because it looked rounder, but my eyes now are a million times better..I don't know how to explain this but seems like I had an eye lift..Sounds unbelievable but in pictures it really shows.It is not just me noticing small details ,I am talking about a SUPER HUGE difference!!

When I went to college I wanted to get rid of those saddlebags.I was always slim but pear shaped ,so I started eating healthier and getting some exercise.My body changed a lot as well.I never thought I could get rid of those saddlebags but I did.I only lost around 5pounds but people think I have lost a lot of weight.The truth is that all those 5pounds were fat so the diffirence really showed on my already slim body.

At first my face looked exhausted and skinnier but now 5years later my face looks fine.Not super plump but full ,especially for my small framed body.I think that it has to do with what you eat.
When I had limited carbs from my diet ,my face looked skinny but now that I eat pretty much whatever I want and do eat carbs it looks great.

I still worry though ,that as I grow I will look dried out because I have thin skin and low fat percentage on my body..if I gain weight it will all go to my butt .

I want to start a weight lifting routine along with protein in order to gain healthy weight(both muscle and fat).

I also think of using avocado oil for a plumper face(but not on the eyes).Could it help?I think that because my skin is thin,exfoliation and retin-A are out of the question for me so I wonder what should I use.Perhaps as I reach 30 I will add some collagen/HA cream /supplements to my routine.

I use sunscreen since I was 15.
bluugrass
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi Zina,
Until some of the members that are more experienced pitch in, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.
It sounds like you're on the right track for the most part, eating healthy and good on you for planning your weight training program...I really need to be more disciplined and get to the gym more.
If you have thin skin, exfoliation and retin-a are not your enemy; on the contrary, they both thicken the underlying layer of your skin. I'm a novice myself with retin-a (been using it for over 2 months now)so I can't speak from experience, just from what I've learned here on the forum.
Don't know about the oil, I've not heard anything about it.
havana8

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Miranda you're gorgeous.... and very brave for sharing your picture. Smile

Also just adding the link to the Vital foods to support facial plumpness/smoothness thread as there were some good suggestions in there as mentioned above:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=37504
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Miranda, you are such a beauty (interesting/soulful looking as well..which is really just as important to me as beauty in appreciating someone's 'look')

I so agree with this. Thanks Miranda for sharing.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Miranda, you look much younger than you are! I think you look great with a less plump face...probably good with a plump face too. You can't go wrong! You're very pretty.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |