Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Is Niacinamide Pro-Aging?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Alix
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for this post. I've followed the above links and I have to say that I am quite convinced! I'll keep eyes watching and ears listening. Very Happy
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
I am by no means an expert, but thought it might be worth sharing. After my daughter was born, 12 yrs ago, I was really short on vitamins. One of the supplements that my DR told me to take was niacinamide. She told me to make sure that it was niacinamide and NOT niacin, because niacin would cause flushing.

I found some interesting links regarding the two:
Unfortunately I can't put the link in itself, because I'm too new to the forum, so I've split it up !!! There's always a way around these things Bad Grin

- add in "http://www. to this ....
the mens-total-fitness.com/niacin-flush.html
and it will bring you to the link.

- add in http://www. to this .... smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/niacinamide.html
and it will bring you to the link. This site gave some useful information.

HTH
dvander

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
I just joined this forum because of the niacinamide discussion (because of a bad reaction I had to a MAP serum used together with an Olay cream with niacinamide).

Thanks to everyone for all the great links. After reading through everything, there was sa key question that I had to find an answer to:

What dose of niacinamide leads to inhibition of SIRT1 activity?

It turns out that it takes quite a huge amount, probably more than we'd find in a 5% niacinamide cream, eg., 10 mM (millimolar) nicotinamide was used to treat individual kidney cells in this study: “Regulation of Translation and Transcription by SIRT 1: Potential Novel Mechanisms for Regulating Stress Response and Aging”

That's a HUGE concentration. Then in this 2006 study the authors said that, " 50 uM nicotinamide is well above the physiological levels of nicotinamide in mammalian organs" (search on: “Sirtuins, Nicotinamide and Aging: A Critical Review”)

So the first study mentioned used 1000 times more niacinamide that is considered "well above the physilogical levels" found in the human body. I wish I could find the concentration they used in this study: “T1 confers protection against UVB- and H2O2-induced cell death via modulation of p53 and JNK in cultured skin keratinocytes” (but it seems they'd probably use similar amounts)

So far, it looks like niacinamide is probably safe and beneficial at the concentrations found in our skin care creams, but like anything, it can be dangerous in high doses.

eg., vitamin A is anti-aging but if I had too much of it I'd lose hair, get discolored skin, and have liver problems.

Also, if you’re already losing NADH and NADPH in your skin as you age, isn’t the addition of niacinamide going to restore your skin to a younger state, so you'd have an even longer way to overdose?

Please post more info if you have any.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Found this article stating that niacinamide is beneficial & in fact resveratrol is bad:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/03/20/ray-peat-phd-on-therapeutic-effect-of-niacinamide/

In some of the publications claiming that resveratrol increases lifespan, it was reported that niacinamide had the opposite effect, suppressing Sir2, the longevity gene, and shortening the organism’s lifespan. To put their claims into context, it’s helpful to look at a variety of experiments involving treatment with niacinamide.

It protects nerves, vascular cells, insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, and a variety of other types of cell from cell death produced by lack of oxygen, excitotoxicity, endotoxin, and a variety of stressors and toxins. (Niacinamide acts in many ways as a negation of resveratrol; for example, resveratrol interferes with the ability of the beta cells to secrete insulin [Szkudelski, 2007]).

Niacinamide protects mitochondrial respiration from many of the age-related factors that can damage mitochondria and decrease energy production. Lipopolysaccharide, the bacterial endotoxin, increases the production of the free radical nitric oxide, leading to the secretion of inflammatory mediators and the suppression of energy production by the mitochondria. These effects are blocked by niacinamide (Fukuzawa, et al., 1997). Calorie restriction also protects mitochondrial respiration, in yeasts (Lin, et al., 2002) and rats (Broderick, et al., 2002)

The “replicative lifespan” of human cells in vitro is extended by treatment with niacinamide (Kang, et al., 2006).

In an experiment with human keratinocytes in vitro, resveratrol had the opposite effect, reducing their ability to divide (Blander, et al., 2009). By the definitions of “aging” used by the advocates of the rate-of-living theory, this experiment suggests that resveratrol causes premature aging. Estrogen has a similar effect on keratinocytes. Resveratrol, nitric oxide, and estrogen, unlike niacinamide, suppress mitochondrial respiration. Resveratrol inhibits the formation of progesterone (Chen, et al., 2007), which is synthesized in mitochondria.”
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Where does trans-resveratrol fit in though? And grape seed extract?
gretchen wrote:
Found this article stating that niacinamide is beneficial & in fact resveratrol is bad:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/03/20/ray-peat-phd-on-therapeutic-effect-of-niacinamide/

�In some of the publications claiming that resveratrol increases lifespan, it was reported that niacinamide had the opposite effect, suppressing Sir2, the longevity gene, and shortening the organism�s lifespan. To put their claims into context, it�s helpful to look at a variety of experiments involving treatment with niacinamide.

It protects nerves, vascular cells, insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, and a variety of other types of cell from cell death produced by lack of oxygen, excitotoxicity, endotoxin, and a variety of stressors and toxins. (Niacinamide acts in many ways as a negation of resveratrol; for example, resveratrol interferes with the ability of the beta cells to secrete insulin [Szkudelski, 2007]).

Niacinamide protects mitochondrial respiration from many of the age-related factors that can damage mitochondria and decrease energy production. Lipopolysaccharide, the bacterial endotoxin, increases the production of the free radical nitric oxide, leading to the secretion of inflammatory mediators and the suppression of energy production by the mitochondria. These effects are blocked by niacinamide (Fukuzawa, et al., 1997). Calorie restriction also protects mitochondrial respiration, in yeasts (Lin, et al., 2002) and rats (Broderick, et al., 2002)

The �replicative lifespan� of human cells in vitro is extended by treatment with niacinamide (Kang, et al., 2006).

In an experiment with human keratinocytes in vitro, resveratrol had the opposite effect, reducing their ability to divide (Blander, et al., 2009). By the definitions of �aging� used by the advocates of the rate-of-living theory, this experiment suggests that resveratrol causes premature aging. Estrogen has a similar effect on keratinocytes. Resveratrol, nitric oxide, and estrogen, unlike niacinamide, suppress mitochondrial respiration. Resveratrol inhibits the formation of progesterone (Chen, et al., 2007), which is synthesized in mitochondria.�

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Well...I just saw Kassy say she drinks red wine and thinks it might have helped her also. Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:28 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Well...I just saw Kassy say she drinks red wine and thinks it might have helped her also. Very Happy

LMAO That lady likes a bit of Merlot! Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I'm gonna pick up Total Effects Friday.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |