Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Looking for a good foundation!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
beann1210
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I'm 40 years young and the foundations of my youth are not doing the trick! I actually look better these days without foundation because it sinks into my lines and pores and makes everything look worse. Any of you "wonderfully more mature" ladies have a recommendation? Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:30 am      Reply with quote
beann1210 wrote:
I'm 40 years young and the foundations of my youth are not doing the trick! I actually look better these days without foundation because it sinks into my lines and pores and makes everything look worse. Any of you "wonderfully more mature" ladies have a recommendation? Wink

Before you get 30 different recommendations (everyone has favorites) have you tried using a good primer that helps smooth out lines and pores to get that "flawless" finish? Smile

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:43 am      Reply with quote
No, I haven't. Can you recommend a good one? Is there a trick to it's application?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:59 am      Reply with quote
There are a few I have had good results with, Senna Cosmetics, Bare Escentuals and Mirinnese(sp?) The only trick I find important is to let it set for a few minutes before applying foundation. Primer is your last step between your skin care and makeup application.

HTH Smile
DM
I am sure others will chime in with more recommendations soon Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:58 am      Reply with quote
I second what DM said primer is great,but do let it soak in first.Lancone Renergie Lift with SPF 20 is a good foundation,when I use it I don't have to use a primer.HTH
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
I really like Nars, also YSL long-wearing foundation.

Osmotics has a nice, light foundation, gives a nice glow with a bit of coverage.

Amore pacific is nice as well, pricey, but worth it, hths. Very Happy
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Here is my low end rec... not very exciting but it has saved me more than once and in the last year became my go-to foundation over everything else: Revlon Color Stay. I have used both the dry and oily version. The dry line seems more peach which is a bummer. I had to switch to the oily to get a more real yellow toned color.

What made a big differene for me the last year with foundation is the Laura Mercier flawless technique. I think LM may be the only makeup artist who teaches correct make up application. She says to blend foundation from the edges of the face inward with a sponge avoiding the undereye area. After foundation do concealer, then use a powder puff dipped in translucent powder that has had most of the product tapped off it and roll it across the face from left to right starting at the top and working down to set the makeup.

Even on my worst and most wrinkliest days this method really worked for me.

I've looked at the new Revlon Photoready, read it is a dupe of MakeUp Forever HD. I read it is pearlescent/shiny. There are some videos on You Tube about it; seems to be working for the younger crowd. Has spf 20; am thinking of trying it for the sunscreen.
Jess_Doll
5% products discount

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I really think mineral make up does have flawless finish. You should consider getting that. And its light enough for daily use
kirnicko
5% products discount

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I am over 40 and have found the same problem with foundation, but recently found a tinted moisturizer from Sephora that I just LOVE LOVE LOVE and have gotten so many compliments. Its a little thick so I dilute it (about 1/2) with my regular sunscreen, and it gives moderate coverage and leaves my skin dewy. It's called Korres Natural Products, Watermelon lightweight tinted moisturiser, oil free with SPF 30. I highly recommend it.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:22 am      Reply with quote
I suggest foundation from asia brand such as shiseido, impress etc. Maybe you can go to counter and test by BA or request for some sample before make a decision.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:19 am      Reply with quote
I had the same issue with foundation and on a whim decided to try Almay Smart Shade Anti Aging Spf 20...I honestly thought it wouldn't work but it is quite fabulous on my skin and reasonably priced. Makes my skin look very smooth and even toned without settling in to the crevasses and pores Very Happy

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:53 am      Reply with quote
The BEST and most flattering foundation I've ever used is NCN's Mineral Sheer Tint (SPF 20). It is very sheer but gives the skin a beautiful glow. It does not sink into lines or even give the appearance of having a foundation on at all. If you are trying to cover skin discolorations however, it may not be enough coverage.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Oh yes Mountaingirl! I've also used that and do love it...and you're right, not a ton of coverage but a nice glow Very Happy

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:32 am      Reply with quote
Application really matters for mature skin, I have found. I use a skunk brush (aka a duo fiber brush) and find that it works really well to avoid makeup settling into lines. I put my foundation on the back of my hand, swirl the skunk brush into it, then lightly "stipple" the makeup over my face, concentrating on the areas I want most coverage, and them buff in a circular manner like you would for mineral makeup.

MAC 187 is probably the most famous skunk brush, but I think it is wildly overpriced and sheds too much. There are lots of cheaper versions that are just as good or better and at a fraction of the price.

I use Chanel Vitalumiere as my foundation, which gives a nice dewy look, though their lightest shade is a bit too dark for me. So I add a tiny drop of Lancome Renergie in its lightest color, which would be too light and cool on its own.

Of, and be wary of finishing powder. I use it very sparingly, only on areas without lines or wrinkles.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:37 am      Reply with quote
kirnicko wrote:
I am over 40 and have found the same problem with foundation, but recently found a tinted moisturizer from Sephora that I just LOVE LOVE LOVE and have gotten so many compliments. Its a little thick so I dilute it (about 1/2) with my regular sunscreen, and it gives moderate coverage and leaves my skin dewy. It's called Korres Natural Products, Watermelon lightweight tinted moisturiser, oil free with SPF 30. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for this recommendation. I am a fan of Korres products - partially because of their stance on remaining a more or less *natural* product.
Not sure about the watermelon scent (lol) but like the 30 SPF and diluting with sunscreen as I'm not a fan of base makeup. When I wear anything it is a light mineral makeup.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:09 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
kirnicko wrote:

Thanks for this recommendation. I am a fan of Korres products - partially because of their stance on remaining a more or less *natural* product.
Not sure about the watermelon scent (lol) but like the 30 SPF and diluting with sunscreen as I'm not a fan of base makeup. When I wear anything it is a light mineral makeup.

Ingredients (from Sephora):

All shades contain:
Quote:
Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate (Octinoxate) (3.8%), Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane (Avobenzone) (1.9%), Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Talc, Octyldodecanol, Magnesium Stearate, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Curcuma Longa Extract/Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Vanilla Tahitensis Extract/ Vanilla Tahitensis Fruit Extract, Butylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Algin, Stearic Acid, Aluminum Hydroxide, Acrylates Copolymer, Mica, Aluminum Distearate, Diethyhexyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, Xanthan Gum, Triethylhexyl Trimellitate, Triethyl Citrate, Ethyl Lactate, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Benzyl Alcohol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Parfum (Fragrance). (+/- (May Contain) CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI77491 (Iron Oxide), CI77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide), CI 77007 (Ultramarines).

Natural?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
So Lacy what do you use?
kirnicko
5% products discount

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
There is no watermelon scent; I'm not exactly sure why they call it that. There really is no scent at all. Just a nice light tinted moisturizer. At Sephora you can sample without buying.
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I am 47 and I have tried Estee Lauder (all of them), Dior, Sisheido and the only one gives me the texture I want is Clarins. I hated the look of folds on my face under my eyes and the big pores, even with primer. Clarins does not do that to me, it gives me a good cover and covers any discolorations and under eye circles I might have. I don't need concealer with this foundation. I have tried a good deal of concealers too to cover them, but with Clarins, I might put a bit of Helena Rubenstein concelear on my vvery bad days and then the foundation. Never ever I dare to put any powder, no way and I don't need it with this foundation because it gives a mate look; with all the other ones I look like a mirror or a silver tray.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
I just turned 56 and get that flawless finish with MMU, the brand that works best for me is Aromaleigh, I never look shiny but I prefer a little natural healthy glow rather than matte as drywall.

IMHO
DM

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Foundation from asia brand such as shiseido, impress etc are very good.And I also consider Lamer foundation is better than MAC.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
So Lacy what do you use?

To be honest with you, I don't wear a foundation on a regular basis. But when I do, I just use Olay Definity tinted moisturizer or Clinique tinted primer (in medium shade). I just don't like the way foundation feels on my skin, and I am not skilled at mineral makeup application.

My comment was regarding the use of the term "natural". It is a meaningless term in the cosmetics industry really. I have never used the Korres product (they are not available in Canada; at least not where I live) and I did not comment on whether it was a good product.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
AQ's oundation is the best one I had tried.This brand is below to KOSE.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
I just don't like the way foundation feels on my skin, and I am not skilled at mineral makeup application.

I am with you. I don't wear foundation. I can't stand the heavy feel of it on my skin.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
The only Korres product I have used is a mascara. I liked that it was better ingredient list than many brands.

I did not research the product kirnicko recommended. I thanked her for the recommendation and mentioned that it appreared they maintained a stance of remaining a more or less natural product. I didn't mean to create waves for you and your buddy.

I know in the food labelling industry the term Natural doesn't mean anything other than it isn't synthetic. People are led to believe it means healthier or better and this is not necessarily so.

The term Organic however does carry a more representative meaning on a food label.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |