Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Physical Sunscreen on EDS??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:54 am      Reply with quote
I have found some very interesting articles on the subject of sunscreens. For example, a woman was comparing two physical sunscreen products and thought that the one that has 12% titanium dioxide is not as efficient as the one that has 20% zinc oxide. Not knowing that the maximum protection length of zinc oxide is lower of that of titanium dioxide. However td is not as efficient as uva (or is it b) rays, and so a combination of both is really more efficient.
you can check fda for that.
The controversy over nanotechnology offering nano sized z-cote and TD is because these particles are so tiny that if uncoated can penetrate skin. So your best option is to make sure both are dimethicone coated.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Star Model wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Natalyn wrote:
foxe wrote:
This discussion about parabens and such needs to stop here guys since the OP asked about physical SS, not parabens. I know of other threads that have that as the original question. Perhaps bring that up to the top? No need to derail this one so much.

Lots of good physical SS have been mentioned, so lets keep it at that

Thank you, Foxe. I was getting sidetracked!

Sorry my doing, I just wanted to point out those are manmade chemical compounds not natural chemicals for those who do choose to avoid them. Smile

I am pretty sure that people reading my post regarding avoiding chemicals in my cosmetics, skincare, food, etc., figured out that I was referring to bad, harmful, alien-like chemicals. Especially the ones found in chemical sunscreens.

But that explains how and why you managed to take off and run with my trying to negate my thoughts. Just clarifying for those who may not have known.

Star Model Wrote:
Quote:
I guess there are quicker ways to promote aging. That is from my perspective. I do not smoke, use cosmetics or skincare products that contain chemicals, nor do I ingest any. I suppose those could get you there quicker? I have always been a purist.

I am glad to see that the thread is back on track. Many will still use chemical SS and that is their choice. But those interested in safer products are the ones who will be searching this thread.

There have been some good thoughts and ideas presented here.

I knew what you meant SM.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok,

The Posted chart I referenced earlier shows the same that the combination of both Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide offers the best overall protection. I agree you are correct it is safest to have them "coated". Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
zverenok,

The Posted chart I referenced earlier shows the same that the combination of both Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide offers the best overall protection. I agree you are correct it is safest to have them "coated". Smile

I have actually been in contact with TKB as they have coated micronized TD, but only uncoated z-cote, and they will be ordering the coated version soon.

In the mean time, I am still confident that for kids and body Lavera is the best sunscreen (avail at Pure and Simple).
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok,

It sounds like you have a plan, I will be interested how your DIY turns out once you have all your ingredients in hand. Smile All my kids are almost over 21 (baby of the crew has 21st in the beginning of April) so I am at the place of buying for me, they do have minds of their own at this point. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
Smile Mine is only 5 (so far only one!),
and I need lots of it to slather over her.

Short term plan - buy Lavera SPF30 for kids (that has won top ten in reviews in terms of ingredients, and efficacy. It uses normal size particles of td and oz, yes leaves a white cast for a bit and then gone, but for kids doesn't matter)
Long term plan - wait till supplier has coated zo, order and make one with avocado, shea and mango butters, vitamins etc and love love love it Wink
Although for face for me, I might try one of the ones we've discussed in this thread (because butters will feel greasy and I don't feel like a shining star when coming to work)) :
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok,

I only have 26 years on you Smile but I have just about every butter and oil already here and both TD and ZO in the house from making my own MMU, I may have to give that a try for body. I agree on the face though I believe that would put a crimp in any makeup plans for the day! LOL

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
zverenok,

I only have 26 years on you Smile but I have just about every butter and oil already here and both TD and ZO in the house from making my own MMU, I may have to give that a try for body. I agree on the face though I believe that would put a crimp in any makeup plans for the day! LOL

Exactly! But think of it as 26 years wiser and more experienced Smile (sorry to be so silly, but what is MMU?) Actually, you gave me a thought - I don't have to go with controversial micronized zo and td, especially if it's for the body, can go with regular ones, and no risk of penetration. Mostly really pale anyways, both me and family, so white cast on body won't show really that much. For face though, it's still a debate.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Zeverock,

Sorry MMU is mineral makeup, I have made it with non micronized that's what I have, I just grind it smooth with a mortal and pestle and use the disposable mask so as not to breath any. It isn't what I would consider micronized but nice and smooth. I sometimes mix some with my regular moisturizer (per application) for a tinted moisturizer. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:17 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:

I have actually been in contact with TKB as they have coated micronized TD, but only uncoated z-cote, and they will be ordering the coated version soon.

I've been on an extensive search for the coated zinc (Z-Cote HP1 and Z-Cote Max) - GOW used to sell it but it's no longer in stock... so I wrote to the manufacturer.

Great to hear that TKB will be supplying the coated zinc soon - yeah! I'm too low on supply and my DIY sunscreen is very weak at the moment. Also will let everyone know if the manufacturer will sell in smaller quantities or know of other suppliers that do.
oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Woot! TKB finally has the entire Z-Cote zinc collection in stock.

http://www.tkbtrading.com/item.php?item_id=409
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Woohoo!! Finally!!!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 11:15 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Woohoo!! Finally!!!

Yeah! Now you must keep us posted about how you mix yours up and how it comes out! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 5:33 am      Reply with quote
Oh I will!!! I have so many ideas I can't decide what I want to order. LOL
Right now I am thinking just MMU with z-cote, but then I've never made MMU, and have no idea how to mix the colors. Then I am thinking I can just made a cream and add z-cote to it....
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 6:46 am      Reply with quote
Anyone tried skinceuticals new sheer physical spf 50 yet?
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 7:08 am      Reply with quote
I have not tried the skinceuticals spf50 but I had it on my wishlist until someone posted a not-so-good review here about it. Said the bottle was tiny, was expensive, and left a white cast. Let me see if I can find it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 7:09 am      Reply with quote
Oranges, here's the review.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=536809&highlight=skinceuticals+50#536809

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
From EDS, I have tried:

John Masters Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30--This is in my current rotation. it's not my favorite but the ingredients seem pretty natural. i think this formulation is more suited for drier skin. leaves a slight white cast. i find that my face is ok if i layer on a thick layer of mineral makeup. my skin still ends up looking pretty natural.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/john-masters-natural-mine-p_10984.htm

Juice Beauty tinted spf sunscreen--i used the lighter version. it looks like JB may have reformulated the sunscreen since i used it a couple years ago. what bothered me was that it only uses titanium dioxide as a blocker. other than that, the sunscreen was cosmetically elegant.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/juice-beauty-mineral-ligh-p_4776.htm

Nia 24 100% mineral sunscreen spf 30--this felt really nice and smooth going on (it is heavy on silicones). at the time, i was going towards more natural ingredient sunscreens, so i gave this away after trying it for a few weeks.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/nia24-sun-damage-preventi-p_8782.htm

i prefer physical sunscreens to chemical ones. i think physical offers better protection. i used some chemical euro brands and found myself developing freckles in the past. i like the idea of uv rays being deflected instead of absorbed. i am trying out some new sunscreens at the moment that are a blend of physical and chemical and will post updates at a later time.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 11:48 am      Reply with quote
You know why JB seems elegant? Because it looks like they are using mic & iron oxides to cover the white cast TD would create....
Yes, I would also have a concern around them only using TD... You need z-cote for longer rays...
Jennie Murphy

Thu May 20, 2010 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Before you go on to buy a product I would suggest reading about sun damage in general. As a new member I cannot yet post links to articles outside EDS, but check the Juara blog.

It basically summarizes what you should not rely on before you make your decisions on what you think is a good way to be protected from sun damage. Hope this helps! Let me know...

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
And yet a different take on sunscreens to consider:

http://products.mercola.com/summer-survival-kit/?source=nl
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Jennie Murphy wrote:
Before you go on to buy a product I would suggest reading about sun damage in general. As a new member I cannot yet post links to articles outside EDS, but check the Juara blog.

It basically summarizes what you should not rely on before you make your decisions on what you think is a good way to be protected from sun damage. Hope this helps! Let me know...

Here ya go Jennie:

http://juaraskincare.com/blog/

FYI - newbies can always bend those rules a bit - just post the link, but leave out the beginning or put a space between the 'dot' and the 'com'

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Funny, I went and read on the summer survival kit - lo and behold, chemical sunscreens are bad! ok, that's really news!
than, you need UVB rays, and you don't need sunscreen, but HER sunscreen IS the greatest. What it is? A mix of oils and TD & z-cote. What I can make at home.
Here comes the worst part - to claim SPF you need to get FDA review and approve it. With tests.Clinical/lab tests. You cannot just claim SPF. It's illegal actually. That's why the usual "I have the solution for you and it's only $xx!!!
" Hurry and I'll also throw in another blah blah.....
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 7:49 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Funny, I went and read on the summer survival kit - lo and behold, chemical sunscreens are bad! ok, that's really news!
than, you need UVB rays, and you don't need sunscreen, but HER sunscreen IS the greatest. What it is? A mix of oils and TD & z-cote. What I can make at home.
Here comes the worst part - to claim SPF you need to get FDA review and approve it. With tests.Clinical/lab tests. You cannot just claim SPF. It's illegal actually. That's why the usual "I have the solution for you and it's only $xx!!!
" Hurry and I'll also throw in another blah blah.....

zvorenok - I have heard that bit about needing FDA approval for claims of SPF and it being expensive before. I like to use the physical 'SS' from Skin Biology since it is loaded with lots of anti-oxidants and a just a little physical SS ingredient. They've said they can't claim a SPF for those exact reasons. Their co is a small one and they don't have the millions it would cost to do all that is required to get one approved. So - they don't say their product is a 'sunscreen'. Instead, they call it a suntanning lotion - offering protection in the sun.

The Skin Biology Suntan Lotion has offered me excellent protection in the sun the last two summers. It has the CPs in it (BIG plus) along with a UV reflector (titanium dioxide), vitamin E, tocotrienols, squalane, and CoQ-10.
I have had great success in getting a light tan and not burning with this. The CPs in it help to get rid of the damage you get from sun exposure.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Foxe, what about about SB's Day Cover? Between that and the suntanning lotion, which one do you think gives more protection?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |