Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Physical Sunscreen on EDS??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I agree even in a small concentration Sodium hydroxide doesn't sit well with me either, it's also the main ingredient in conventional hair straighteners and very potent stuff!

DM Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/06/17/do-la-roche-and-peter-thomas-roth-products-contain-skin-irritants/

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Yep. I can understand chemical labs are using it as a strong base, but as there are different ways to make skin care products, I would stir clear of companies that try to make cheap stuff and sell it expensive.

Lacy, sorry didn't see your post before answering. So here is my answer. Is this really the only way to add a salt to the formulation? What about natural occurring salts? Absolutely it can be totally safe! When I make soap, I use sodium hydroxide, and there is none of it left in final product - soap. But you NEED sodium hydroxide to make soap. Do you NEED sodium hydroxide to make a skincare product such as cream/lotion? NO, you do not. Because you have better alternatives.... So, as a consumer you have a choice...
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I'm well aware of the chemicals in Elta MD. I have tried so many sunscreens over the last 7 or 8 years trying to find one that contained NO chemical blocks because I've read how chemical blocks can mutate and possibly cause pigmentation (which is one of my issues). Elta is the first physical block that doesn't make me greasy, does not have a white cast, and seems to prevent tanning. It's a shame that plain old zinc oxide is not more cosmetically appealing because that would make sunscreening a no-brainer. Because sodium hydroxide was so low on the ingredient list, I thought it would be a minute amount somewhat neutralized by other ingredients. In truth, I'm more unhappy about the silicones in the formula...I'm very suspicious of silicones because IMO they haven't been around long enough in cosmetics & toiletries.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
doesn't make me greasy, does not have a white cast, and seems to prevent tanning.

You know, I don't mind all that when I am sun bathing, as long as I know I am not putting crap on myself.
I would rather have white cast and know that it's working, and the grease is antioxidants and oils, and not sodium hydroxide...
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:23 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
I think Juice Beauty has a physical sunscreen, too. Has anyone tried?

I tried it and loved it. It was a little casty but seemed more of a primer. I really liked it. My skin seemed so smooth after applying it. I quit using it through because it only had titanium oxide. I thougth to be broad spectrum it had to have both TO and ZO?? I've been using 100% pure spf 20 which I really like to. It sinks in real good with no white cast. Seems like your not even putting on spf. I guess we'll see this summer how it holds up.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:37 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:

You know, I don't mind all that when I am sun bathing, as long as I know I am not putting crap on myself.
I would rather have white cast and know that it's working, and the grease is antioxidants and oils, and not sodium hydroxide...

I haven't laid out in the sun in years because I have so much sun damage from when I was your age, so my criteria for a screen for my face is different from yours. I do have take-along blocks for my hands that are rather white-ish but I'm so fair I don't mind the cast or the oil on my hands. I just don't want to look like my face is prepped for Halloween.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Jax wrote:
zverenok wrote:

I haven't laid out in the sun in years because I have so much sun damage from when I was your age, so my criteria for a screen for my face is different from yours. I do have take-along blocks for my hands that are rather white-ish but I'm so fair I don't mind the cast or the oil on my hands. I just don't want to look like my face is prepped for Halloween.

I don't lay in the sun either Smile I've spent about 5 yrs before 16 on Mediterranean coast, and didn't use sunblock, and got sun damage too, which healed, but since then I am not eager to sun bathe Smile I go out for outdoor activities and my goal is to prevent sun damage and tan.
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
oranges wrote:
Natalyn wrote:
I think Juice Beauty has a physical sunscreen, too. Has anyone tried?

I tried it and loved it. It was a little casty but seemed more of a primer. I really liked it. My skin seemed so smooth after applying it. I quit using it through because it only had titanium oxide. I thougth to be broad spectrum it had to have both TO and ZO?? I've been using 100% pure spf 20 which I really like to. It sinks in real good with no white cast. Seems like your not even putting on spf. I guess we'll see this summer how it holds up.

Yes, zinc oxide covers more of the spectrum, particularly UVA, so ideally you'd want one with both ZnO and TiO2
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
For those who were planning on getting a sample of the Pure and Simple SS, were you able to try it? I used a half pump of the one for sensitive skin today and put MMU on top and after 15 mins of driving, my left cheek got sensitive.

Has anyone tried the Dr Renaud products?
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I hadn't had a chance to go yet. Hoping to go this weekend, at least will give them a call.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
kikiw wrote:
This is the link for DDF
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/ddf-enhancing-sun-protect-p_7317.htm

I just got this from EDS. My initial impression is it is a really good sunscreen. It feels a little grainy and the color is off white or maybe even mauve. But it does not leave a white cast. It seems to sink in really well. It doesn't leave my skin oily. I like it.
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Bira, can you post the full ingredient list from your DDF container please? I have also been looking at that brand but not sure that they have listed everything. Thanks!
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Bira, I found the ingredient list. The listing on EDS was deceiving, if I didn't look more I would've loved what they listed.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, good! I was going to say I will post when I get home, but glad you got a hold of the list now. I just looked at it on EDS. The ingredient list there looks very good. I like the micronized Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide in it.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
I checked the bottle of this DDF sunscreen. It only lists the active ingredients, i.e. zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. I already threw away the box it came in, so am not sure if the rest of the ingredients is listed there or not. Confused
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
The problem that I see in some of these, is they list the sunscreen as physical, yet it has chemical sunscreen components as well. My guess is that they are using physical blocks like TD etc, but also using chemical blocks. So in essence it is a physical block but it is also a chemical block.

That's why it's so important to know the ingredients.
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
This is the ingredient list for DDF Enhancing Sun Protection as listed on the DDF website:

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: PURPOSE:
TITANIUM DIOXIDE 2.5% .................................. SUNSCREEN
ZINC OXIDE 6% ................................................ SUNSCREEN

INACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
WATER, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, CYCLOMETHICONE, C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE, DIMETHICONE, POLYSORBATE 80, GLYCERYL STEARATE, PEG- 100 STEARATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, POLYGLYCERYL-6 ISOSTEARATE, CETYL ALCOHOL, SODIUM ACRYLATE/SODIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYL TAURATE COPOLYMER, IRON OXIDES, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, GLYCERIN, BORON NITRIDE, ACRYLATES/AMMONIUM METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER, TRIETHYL CITRATE, TRIETHOXYSILYLETHYL POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL HEXYL DIMETHICONE, ALUMINA, ISOHEXADECANE, CAPRYLYL METHICONE, SODIUM LEVULINATE, SODIUM ANISATE, LAURYL PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, POLYHYDROXYSTEARIC ACID, PHENOXYETHANOL, DMDM HYDANTOIN, DISODIUM EDTA, ALLANTOIN, PANTHENOL, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE, METHYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA) FLOWER EXTRACT, BUTYLENE GLYCOL,PROPYLPARABEN, ISOBUTYLPARABEN, IODOPROPYNYL

On EDS, it only lists these: Ingredients

Allantoin, Green Tea, Aloe Vera Gel, Chamomile, Micronized Titanium Dioxide, Micronized Zinc Oxide
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
I went to my local drugstore here because they were supposed to carry the Shiseido brand but being in a small city, they didn't. I asked for a sunscreen recommendation and she showed me Vichy. It had avobenzone and TO in it and mexoryl too I think. Doesn't that negate the effects of each other? Does anyone know? She also said they were coming in with ROC sunscreen, still have to research what the ingredients are for this but if anyone has tried it, please share your experience. Thanks!
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
moosejavian wrote:
This is the ingredient list for DDF Enhancing Sun Protection as listed on the DDF website:

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: PURPOSE:
TITANIUM DIOXIDE 2.5% .................................. SUNSCREEN
ZINC OXIDE 6% ................................................ SUNSCREEN

INACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
WATER, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, CYCLOMETHICONE, C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE, DIMETHICONE, POLYSORBATE 80, GLYCERYL STEARATE, PEG- 100 STEARATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, POLYGLYCERYL-6 ISOSTEARATE, CETYL ALCOHOL, SODIUM ACRYLATE/SODIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYL TAURATE COPOLYMER, IRON OXIDES, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, GLYCERIN, BORON NITRIDE, ACRYLATES/AMMONIUM METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER, TRIETHYL CITRATE, TRIETHOXYSILYLETHYL POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL HEXYL DIMETHICONE, ALUMINA, ISOHEXADECANE, CAPRYLYL METHICONE, SODIUM LEVULINATE, SODIUM ANISATE, LAURYL PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, POLYHYDROXYSTEARIC ACID, PHENOXYETHANOL, DMDM HYDANTOIN, DISODIUM EDTA, ALLANTOIN, PANTHENOL, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE, METHYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA) FLOWER EXTRACT, BUTYLENE GLYCOL,PROPYLPARABEN, ISOBUTYLPARABEN, IODOPROPYNYL

On EDS, it only lists these: Ingredients

Allantoin, Green Tea, Aloe Vera Gel, Chamomile, Micronized Titanium Dioxide, Micronized Zinc Oxide

Doesn't sound like something I want to slather on my skin! I'd rather just put titanium dioxide and zinc oxide direct on my skin.
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
Zverenok, I know, yet on the EDS they make it seem like it has only those few ingredients and make it look appealing.

I am still on the hunt for a good physical SS, the P+S doesn't seem to give me enough protection Sad
kikiw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:

I just got this from EDS. My initial impression is it is a really good sunscreen. It feels a little grainy and the color is off white or maybe even mauve. But it does not leave a white cast. It seems to sink in really well. It doesn't leave my skin oily. I like it.

I'm glad you like it Laughing
kikiw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:03 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
I understand. But I am looking for a physical sunscreen with good ingredients...

Lavera - well it has good ingredients, and I will tell you right away you look white with it. I mean, especially if you use the sensitive formula.
The one that doesn't whiten is the SPF30 spray one, it's sort of greenish, but doesn't whiten as much. But it protects, and that's all I care about. When I go to work and back, I don't even wear it on my face, just my mineral foundation with zinc oxide. I wear Lavera on the hands Wink

Started doing a search on EDS:

//www.essentialdayspa.com/dermalogica-ultra-sens-fa-p_1541.htm

example of physical sunscreen and antioxidants....

If you want to find a sunscreen with good ingredients, most physical physical sunscreens do not meet your requirement. Because most physical sunscreens has titanium dioxide, which is a disputable ingredient. If titanium dioxide is micro size, it will be absorbed by skin and has photocatalyst, which will increase the chance of skin cancer. If titanium dioxide is nano size or lager than micro size, it's OK. But nano sized one can go into our circulatory system.

However, I don't care about this, effect is more important to us. And I think the product should be safe as long as it passes FDA checking.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I have read conflicting info on the safety of micronized vs. nano particles. Does anyone (meaning researchers) really know which version of physical blocks is safest?
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:15 am      Reply with quote
kikiw wrote:

If you want to find a sunscreen with good ingredients, most physical physical sunscreens do not meet your requirement. Because most physical sunscreens has titanium dioxide, which is a disputable ingredient. If titanium dioxide is micro size, it will be absorbed by skin and has photocatalyst, which will increase the chance of skin cancer. If titanium dioxide is nano size or lager than micro size, it's OK. But nano sized one can go into our circulatory system.

However, I don't care about this, effect is more important to us. And I think the product should be safe as long as it passes FDA checking.

Really kikiw? So physical sunscreens have bad and chemical sunscreens are good? That's quite a statement to make. Most physical actually use regular titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, micronized is a recent thing. Physical sunscreens are actually the safest out there.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |