Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Physical Sunscreen on EDS??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Star Model
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:19 am      Reply with quote
Yes, "NASTY" is the operative word!

zverenok wrote:

I guess what you meant is bad/nasty chemicals, which we certainly do not need.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:27 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Thanks DM,

My point exactly, not such a pure natural ingredient line after all.

And when you say avoid use of chemicals, actually our composition is entirely chemical, I guess what you meant is bad/nasty chemicals, which we certainly do not need.

I agree zverenok the word chemical is used as a "bad" term when we know that everything including animals and plants are all chemical, it's some synthetic chemicals that are "nasty" Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:01 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
zverenok wrote:
Thanks DM,

My point exactly, not such a pure natural ingredient line after all.

And when you say avoid use of chemicals, actually our composition is entirely chemical, I guess what you meant is bad/nasty chemicals, which we certainly do not need.

I agree zverenok the word chemical is used as a "bad" term when we know that everything including animals and plants are all chemical, it's some synthetic chemicals that are "nasty" Smile

Exactly! I mean, we all know that there are natural ingredients that are very good for skin, like vegetable oils. BUt, it's way cheaper to use mineral oils, like petrolatum, it's much cheaper, and I mean 100000 cheaper to use chemicals made in a lab, ie. synthetic chemicals, than buy the natural ingredients. I bet this is one of the major reasons we still see them in use.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:15 am      Reply with quote
I agree 100% mineral oil is a byproduct of petroleum production that has no use except a few appliances use it as a lubricant the rest, which is the majority is bought by cosmetic manufactures just because it can be purchased sooo cheaply!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
Check this out - especially for those vaseline fans on this forum

http://www.health-report.co.uk/petroleum_petrolatum_health_concerns.htm

vaseline is under suspicion as carcinogen in breast cancer! Yeah, of course research doesn't happen in one day, but at least common sense should help, right?

And to add more on synthetics, and parabens (considering there are now safer preservatives avail),
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraben

Quote:
Several peer-reviewed studies have reported results that indirectly support a correlation between the presence of parabens and the occurrence of breast cancer. High levels of parabens have been detected in breast tumors,[11][12] with one UK-based study finding high concentrations of parabens in eighteen out of twenty samples of breast tumors.[12] These findings, along with the demonstrated ability of parabens to mimic estrogen, a hormone known to play a role in the development of breast cancers,[12] have led some scientists to conclude that the presence of parabens does correlate with the occurrence of breast cancer,[6][13] and to call for investigation into whether or not a causal link exists.[14] The lead researcher of the UK study, molecular biologist Philippa Darbre, reported that the ester-bearing form of the parabens found in the tumors indicate that they came from something applied to the skin, such as an underarm deodorant, cream or body spray, and stated that the results helped to explain why up to 60% of all breast tumors are found in just one-fifth of the breast - the upper-outer quadrant, nearest the underarm

Quote:
Studies indicate that methylparaben applied on the skin reacts with UVB leading to increased skin aging and DNA damage
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok,

Here is a link to a home made un petroleum jelly! I have made the same for over 30 years but it is posted here by another member about halfway down the page! It's very simple and all natural for those interested. Smile

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=397787

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
Does EDS carry any physical sunscreen that you have tried and loved? I tried looking through several brands, but it looks like most of them are chemical. I even called the Help line, but she was not able to give me a recommendation. I want one with micronized zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.

TIA!

The Kimberly Sayer SPF25 is one I have been looking at with both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide although I am not sure if the latter is micronized. Here is the ingredient listing:

Kimberly Sayer Anti-Oxidant Daily Moisturizing Cream SPF25
Ingredients: Purified Water, Apricot Kernel Oil, Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Squalane (Olives), Shea Butter, Oat Beta Glucan, Sea Algae Extract, Glycerin (Vegetable), Borage Seed Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Rosewater, Beech Bud Extract, Aloe Vera Gel, Foraha Oil, Nettle, Rosebud, Safflower Oil, Zinc Oxide (botanical sunblock), Titanium Dioxide (botanical sun block), Lecithin, Vitamins A-C-E, Xanthan (Gum), Japanese Honeysuckle Extract (preservative)

Here is leeleedeedee's review thread on it:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=362086

Skyn Iceland Antidote Mineral Sunscreen SPF 18 is another that looks to have both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/skyn-iceland-antidote-min-p_9566.htm
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Both of these products look so good. Thanks, Havana.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Havana Smile

That looks like it's worth checking out, nice ingredient list!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Looks like a very nice product indeed, although I wouldn't call td and z-oxide botanical sunblocks Laughing

How about this one
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/kimberly-sayer-ultra-ligh-p_8794.htm

it seems a lot bigger, but would love to know what ingredients it hosts....

DM< what do you think, have we found the one?
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone....I'm still using the Kimberly Sayer Sunscreen and, yes,Havana8, the Zinc and Titanium are micronized. I've tried many other sunscreens in the past but I keep coming back to KS.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Looks like a very nice product indeed, although I wouldn't call td and z-oxide botanical sunblocks Laughing

How about this one

ULTRA LIGHT FACIAL MOISTURIZER - SPF 25
For Oily and Acne Prone Skin

This lightweight, protective day cream is easily absorbed and won't clog pores or cause breakouts. It contains Lemon Oil to detoxify the skin, minimize oil production and dry up acne and zits. Contains organic sunblocks to protect the skin from harmful UV rays. Ideal for use under make-up.

5oz/150ml

BENEFITS
• Easily absorbed lightweight formula won't clog pores
• Contains Oat Beta Glucan to protect against UVA oxidative stress
• Our non-toxic sunblock is derived from minerals Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide to offer complete protection from the sun without irritating even the most sensitive skin
• Use daily under make-up or alone

$32

INGREDIENTS:
PURIFIED WATER, HIGH-OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, CETEARYL GLUCOSIDE (COCONUT), ARACHIDYL AND BEHENYL ALCOHOL (COCONUT), SEA ALGAE EXTRACT, SQUALANE (OLIVES), VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SHEA BUTTER, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (BOTANICAL SUNBLOCK), ZINC OXIDE (BOTANICAL SUN BLOCK), VITAMINS, A.C.E, LEMON OIL, CAPRYLOYL GLYCINE (COCONUT), UNDECYLENOYL GLYCINE (COCONUT), JAPANESE HONEYSUCKLE EXTRACT (PRESERVATIVE)

http://www.kimberlysayer.com/moisturizers.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hey there, do you have any idea if the z-cote is coated in something?
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:

And to add more on synthetics, and parabens (considering there are now safer preservatives avail),
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraben

Quote:
Several peer-reviewed studies have reported results that indirectly support a correlation between the presence of parabens and the occurrence of breast cancer. High levels of parabens have been detected in breast tumors,[11][12] with one UK-based study finding high concentrations of parabens in eighteen out of twenty samples of breast tumors.[12] These findings, along with the demonstrated ability of parabens to mimic estrogen, a hormone known to play a role in the development of breast cancers,[12] have led some scientists to conclude that the presence of parabens does correlate with the occurrence of breast cancer,[6][13] and to call for investigation into whether or not a causal link exists.[14] The lead researcher of the UK study, molecular biologist Philippa Darbre, reported that the ester-bearing form of the parabens found in the tumors indicate that they came from something applied to the skin, such as an underarm deodorant, cream or body spray, and stated that the results helped to explain why up to 60% of all breast tumors are found in just one-fifth of the breast - the upper-outer quadrant, nearest the underarm

Quote:
Studies indicate that methylparaben applied on the skin reacts with UVB leading to increased skin aging and DNA damage

zveronok,

Dr Pickart has been called on his use of parabens before and provides this explanation as to the inclusion of them. I feel safe enough to use their products that have them and am very happy with their use as my skin as responded beautifully to them.

Quote:

Preservatives

The preservatives that we use are all on the FDA's GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) list. They have a long history of safe use. Our creams kill most dangerous pathogenic bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus, and pseudomonas.

Parabens.........

Parabens are not linked to cancer

Parabens are molecules from plants, such as blueberries and soybeans, that are used as preservatives in foods and cosmetics. Parabens have some estrogenic activity and there have been concerns as to their safety with respect to cancer.

The Scientific Committee on Consumer Products for the European Union wrote an Extended opinion on: the Safety Evaluation of Parabens covering in addition isopropyl paraben. <http://europa.eu.int/comm/health/ph_risk/committees/04_sccp/docs/sccp_o_019.pdf>
Adopted by written procedure on 28 January 2005. In summary, they said there was no link between parabens and breast cancer and criticized the data used in previous studies.

While parabens appear to be safe, this may not be true for other estrogenic materials such as sunscreen chemical oils and the thousands of alien chemicals that the cosmetic industry adds to products.

So why the difference? Normal foods contain most of the carcinogens to which our bodies are exposed. But our metabolic systems have long been adapting to these molecules and have methods to detoxify them. So parabens, being nothing new to the body, can be detoxified by our bodies. In contrast, estrogenic chemicals such as sunscreen chemicals, PCBs, and DDT are alien chemicals to our body. There is nothing in our genetic heritage to tell the body how to detoxify and remove them molecules. This is the danger of alien, unnatural chemicals.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
This discussion about parabens and such needs to stop here guys since the OP asked about physical SS, not parabens. I know of other threads that have that as the original question. Perhaps bring that up to the top? No need to derail this one so much.

Lots of good physical SS have been mentioned, so lets keep it at that

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
This discussion about parabens and such needs to stop here guys since the OP asked about physical SS, not parabens. I know of other threads that have that as the original question. Perhaps bring that up to the top? No need to derail this one so much.

Thank you, Foxe. I was getting sidetracked!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:

How about this one

I think it's looking like a nice one, and although neither zinc or titanium dioxide are botanicals they are organic. There is a chart posted that shows which ss ingredients give the best protection and those especially in combination won hands down, and that's what I am looking for the best physical sun protection I can find! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I meant to add they are both in my MMU anyway! For that matter they are used in most foundations just with added oils and waxes! Smile
The TO and ZO that is.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
foxe wrote:

Sorry my doing, I just wanted to point out those are manmade chemical compounds not natural chemicals for those who do choose to avoid them. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Well this entire thread got me thinking?
I can make my own sunscreen. A lot of these we have discussed list the percentages of ZO and TD used, and we know maximum Zo usage is 25%, so what's stopping me from whipping my own shea butter with avocado butter, adding ZO and TD, adding some vitamins , A, C, E etc and voila? I don't need to sell it hence don't need to get it tested for the exact SPF...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:01 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Well this entire thread got me thinking?
I can make my own sunscreen. A lot of these we have discussed list the percentages of ZO and TD used, and we know maximum Zo usage is 25%, so what's stopping me from whipping my own shea butter with avocado butter, adding ZO and TD, adding some vitamins , A, C, E etc and voila? I don't need to sell it hence don't need to get it tested for the exact SPF...

You might want to look at the recipes on making cosmetics, they have a good number of sunscreen recipes there at least it would give you a point of reference? Smile

http://www.makingcosmetics.com

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Garden of Wisdom sells zinc oxide and titanium dioxide ingredients to create your own DIY sunscreens. Cannot comment on the quality of these ingredients but GoW's prices are better than those listed at MakingCosmetics.com for comparable products.
www.gardenofwisdom.com/sunscreen.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:51 am      Reply with quote
TKB has excellent prices for zinc oxide and td, but they don't seem to have coated z-cote.

Thanks for the link DM Smile I was thinking of just using butters, not creating water-oil emulsion, as that immediately assumes use of preservatives....
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:14 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
TKB has excellent prices for zinc oxide and td, but they don't seem to have coated z-cote.

Thanks for the link DM Smile I was thinking of just using butters, not creating water-oil emulsion, as that immediately assumes use of preservatives....

Got it, Just thought it might give some idea, maybe someone that wants to go that route will find it helpful? Smile Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:16 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Natalyn wrote:
foxe wrote:

Sorry my doing, I just wanted to point out those are manmade chemical compounds not natural chemicals for those who do choose to avoid them. Smile

I am pretty sure that people reading my post regarding avoiding chemicals in my cosmetics, skincare, food, etc., figured out that I was referring to bad, harmful, alien-like chemicals. Especially the ones found in chemical sunscreens.

But that explains how and why you managed to take off and run with my trying to negate my thoughts. Just clarifying for those who may not have known.

Star Model wrote:
I guess there are quicker ways to promote aging. That is from my perspective. I do not smoke, use cosmetics or skincare products that contain chemicals, nor do I ingest any. I suppose those could get you there quicker? I have always been a purist.

I am glad to see that the thread is back on track. Many will still use chemical SS and that is their choice. But those interested in safer products are the ones who will be searching this thread.

There have been some good thoughts and ideas presented here.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |