Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



glominerals Dual Essence Clutch Pevonia Spa Clinica Pro Micro-Retinol Essential Moisturizer (50 ml / 1.7 floz) B Kamins Nia-Stem Kx Starter Kit (4 items)
Physical Sunscreen on EDS??

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 1039
Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Does EDS carry any physical sunscreen that you have tried and loved? I tried looking through several brands, but it looks like most of them are chemical. I even called the Help line, but she was not able to give me a recommendation. I want one with micronized zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.

TIA!
kikiw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Posts: 257
Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
DDF Enhancing Sun Protection SPF 30 works well, it seems physical.
If you do not restrain products in essentialdayspa, I would recommend Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion, which is physical and really does a good job.
kikiw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Posts: 257
Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
This is the link for DDF
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/ddf-enhancing-sun-protect-p_7317.htm

You may buy Shiseido in sephora.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 1039
Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you! I don't know how I missed it. This should work well.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Posts: 950
Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:29 am      Reply with quote
I agree with DDF.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 599
Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Useage

Apply generously and evenly to all areas 15–30 minutes before sun exposure and as needed. Rub in well and let product dry on skin before putting on clothes.

Wash hands thoroughly after use. Reapply at frequent intervals and after swimming, towel drying or excessive sun exposure. Use on children under 6 months of age only with the advice of a physician.

Ingredients

Allantoin, Green Tea, Aloe Vera Gel, Chamomile, Micronized Titanium Dioxide, Micronized Zinc Oxide


OK, well they mention spheres adjusting in color, yet I don't see anything like that listed in the ingredients. Secondly, physical sunblock works right away after applying. The fact that this says to apply 15-30 minutes before exposure indicates to me that this is mostly an antioxidant type of protenction that needs time to sink in. The amounts of TD and Zinc oxide must be miliscule. And you don't really know the level of protection until you know the rate of addition of TD and zinc oxide. Moreover, I recall reading somewhere that there is no proof that micronized is actually offering more protection...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:26 am      Reply with quote
zverenok,

Which one is that you listed? I am on the hunt for a good physical SS also! Smile

TIA
DM

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 599
Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Oh sorry, I was just "criticizing" the DDF one, to which link was provided above. Smile
I am on a hunt for a good one too Sad Was even considering making one myself.
I've been using Lavera, but they don't have the one with higher SPF for sensitive skin anymore.
It wasn't good in terms of feeling, and it was whitening, but I didn't care much, it had good ingredients and did the job.

Now I don't know. Someone mentioned Shisedo, will have to check if they have it in Canada.

I am mainly using mineral makeup with zinc oxide in the summer if I am just driving to work and back. And Lavera if really going outside... If you find something good, let me know Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:42 am      Reply with quote
zverenok,

I got you now! Smile I am a mineral makeup gal myself so that's my reason also, I think there are a few of us on the same hunt so if I find one that is really good I will be sure to let you know! Smile

DM

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 633
Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
I think Juice Beauty has a physical sunscreen, too. Has anyone tried?
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 599
Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, this looks like a nice one

active ingredient: titanium dioxide.
ingredients: organic juices of pyrus malus (apple) juice, vitis vinifera (white grape) juice, punica granatum (pomegranate) juice & aloe barbadensis leaf juice, organic cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, organic camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract, organic cera alba (beeswax), octyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl glucoside, organic plant oils of helianthus annuus (sunflower), persea gratissima (avocado) & simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), sodium pca, sodium hyaluronate, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), phospholipids, panthenol (vitamin B5), ascorbyl palmitate (vitamin C), xanthan gum, tetrasodium edta, phenoxyethanol, citrus aurantium (petitgrain), cinnamomum camphora (ho wood) & citrus reticulata (mandarin) pure essential oils.

Anyone tried it?
Although I would be cautious to apply citrus and ho wood essential oils to face - better patch test this first...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok,

I was thinking the same thing on those EO's, they are very far down on the ingredient list though hmm I wonder what the SPF is on this one also?

DM Smile

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Wow, this looks like a nice one

active ingredient: titanium dioxide.
ingredients: organic juices of pyrus malus (apple) juice, vitis vinifera (white grape) juice, punica granatum (pomegranate) juice & aloe barbadensis leaf juice, organic cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, organic camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract, organic cera alba (beeswax), octyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl glucoside, organic plant oils of helianthus annuus (sunflower), persea gratissima (avocado) & simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), sodium pca, sodium hyaluronate, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), phospholipids, panthenol (vitamin B5), ascorbyl palmitate (vitamin C), xanthan gum, tetrasodium edta, phenoxyethanol, citrus aurantium (petitgrain), cinnamomum camphora (ho wood) & citrus reticulata (mandarin) pure essential oils.

Anyone tried it?
Although I would be cautious to apply citrus and ho wood essential oils to face - better patch test this first...


Is this the Juice Beauty SPF? I have used it in the past. It is really very lovely on the skin, but unfortunately for me it did not offer good enough protection meaning I tanned/freckled through this one.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 599
Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:24 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
zverenok wrote:
Wow, this looks like a nice one

active ingredient: titanium dioxide.
ingredients: organic juices of pyrus malus (apple) juice, vitis vinifera (white grape) juice, punica granatum (pomegranate) juice & aloe barbadensis leaf juice, organic cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, organic camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract, organic cera alba (beeswax), octyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl glucoside, organic plant oils of helianthus annuus (sunflower), persea gratissima (avocado) & simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), sodium pca, sodium hyaluronate, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), phospholipids, panthenol (vitamin B5), ascorbyl palmitate (vitamin C), xanthan gum, tetrasodium edta, phenoxyethanol, citrus aurantium (petitgrain), cinnamomum camphora (ho wood) & citrus reticulata (mandarin) pure essential oils.

Anyone tried it?
Although I would be cautious to apply citrus and ho wood essential oils to face - better patch test this first...


Is this the Juice Beauty SPF? I have used it in the past. It is really very lovely on the skin, but unfortunately for me it did not offer good enough protection meaning I tanned/freckled through this one.


Yep, that's the Juice Beauty one. Can you please advise what skin color/type you have and how long have you stayed out?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:44 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:

Yep, that's the Juice Beauty one. Can you please advise what skin color/type you have and how long have you stayed out?


I have medium skin tone, probably a fitzpatrick III. Normal skin that is not sensitive to anything. My skin, if not well protected, will tan easily, and pigment quickly.

I would be guessing here about the time stayed out, as it has been probably 2 years since I tried that product, but knowing myself, I got sun exposure from driving (2 hours daily at that time), and evening 30 minute walk, with other random outdoor exposure not lasting longer than 15 minutes at a time.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:14 am      Reply with quote
zverenok,

I know that being here in a subtropic climate we are closer to the sun and we have sun almost everyday of the year which makes even a short walk give higher sun exposure than in many places where members live.

DM Smile

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
zverenok,

I know that being here in a subtropic climate we are closer to the sun and we have sun almost everyday of the year which makes even a short walk give higher sun exposure than in many places where members live.

DM Smile


Good point, DM. I am sorry zverenok, I guess I should say that I live in FL. It definitely would make a difference. I think if one is living further north, the Juice Beauty sunscreen would be great. And, again, I thought it was a very nice texture, just not enough protection for me.
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 860
Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I like the NIA24 Sunscreen (SPF 30). It is a non-chemical physical suncreen that contains 9.45% micronized titanium dioxide and 3.6 % micronized zinc oxide.

It's available at EDS.

_________________
Fair with mild rosascea & combination skin (dry with oily t-zone)
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 860
Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Wow, this looks like a nice one

active ingredient: titanium dioxide.
ingredients: organic juices of pyrus malus (apple) juice, vitis vinifera (white grape) juice, punica granatum (pomegranate) juice & aloe barbadensis leaf juice, organic cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, organic camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract, organic cera alba (beeswax), octyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl glucoside, organic plant oils of helianthus annuus (sunflower), persea gratissima (avocado) & simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), sodium pca, sodium hyaluronate, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), phospholipids, panthenol (vitamin B5), ascorbyl palmitate (vitamin C), xanthan gum, tetrasodium edta, phenoxyethanol, citrus aurantium (petitgrain), cinnamomum camphora (ho wood) & citrus reticulata (mandarin) pure essential oils.

Anyone tried it?
Although I would be cautious to apply citrus and ho wood essential oils to face - better patch test this first...

I did not care for the Juice Beauty SPF 30 Moisturizer that I tried a few years ago. It left a horrible white cast on my skin that would not absorb completely and my make-up didn't apply very well on top of it. My skin also became VERY shiny within 3 hours of application and this drove me nuts!

Since you live in Toronto, have you thought about trying Pure+Simple's natural sunscreen line? I am finally going to pop into one of their locations this weekend and request a few samples. They make around 9 different sunscreen products that target specific skin care types, which is nice. I am especially drawn to their Pure+Simple Anti-aging SPF 30 sunscreen (the price is also great!), but will reserve any formal excitement until I see the complete ingredient list. Smile

Pure+Simple - All Natural SPF 30 Anti-Aging Sun Protection 50ml

Price: $15.95 CDN

• SPF 30
• Green Tea Extract provides anti-oxidant + free radical protection.
• Rejuvenating results with Eucalyptus Extract + Geranium Oil.
• Non-greasy formula.
• Can be used with a moisturizer or alone.
• Great makeup base.
• Does not leave a white residue.

www.pureandsimple.ca

Pure+Simple ships internationally but for those in the US who like to order from Nanci at NCN she also carries this natural sunscreen, as well as several others from the Pure+Simple product line.

_________________
Fair with mild rosascea & combination skin (dry with oily t-zone)
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks ScotsLass,

I will make a note of that I know NCN is also great with samples and quite helpful. Very nice company to deal with. Smile

DM

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 599
Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
hey ladies,

thanks for the info - I checked out Nia24 and I would not consider this a "natural" sunscreen. Aside from being physical - ie. containing titanium dioxide and zinc oxide (btw micronized means it's actually whiter), there are a lot of other ingredients I wish were not there.

I love Pure and Simple - cause they carry my favorite so far Lavera! I am going to be dropping by for samples too!!!

(Yes, Toronto is north, but we do get a lot of sun especially in the summer)
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 860
Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
The NIA24 SPF 30 sunscreen contains *transparent* micronized titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, so there is no white cast left on the skin after application (which I can personally attest to and really liked about this physical sunscreen). The "natural sunscreen" ingredients in the NIA24 product are also legitimate and exist in the form of "transparent micronized titanium dioxide and zinc oxide". As for the rest of the ingredient list, I can understand if you found this less appealing, but I think the majority of people are more concerned with using a product that contains nasty chemical sunscreen ingredients.

I will have to ask if Pure+Simple can give me a Lavera sample while I am picking up the other sunscreen samples. The last time I tried a Lavera sunscreen I wasn't wowed by it. My skin is quite reactive to the seasons in Canada and can love a product one minute and not love it the next, so I tend to re-visit certain products in case the time of year was a factor. Maybe this time around my skin will have a positive response to Lavera, which would be great! Smile

_________________
Fair with mild rosascea & combination skin (dry with oily t-zone)
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 599
Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I understand. But I am looking for a physical sunscreen with good ingredients...

Lavera - well it has good ingredients, and I will tell you right away you look white with it. I mean, especially if you use the sensitive formula.
The one that doesn't whiten is the SPF30 spray one, it's sort of greenish, but doesn't whiten as much. But it protects, and that's all I care about. When I go to work and back, I don't even wear it on my face, just my mineral foundation with zinc oxide. I wear Lavera on the hands Wink

Started doing a search on EDS:

//www.essentialdayspa.com/dermalogica-ultra-sens-fa-p_1541.htm

example of physical sunscreen and antioxidants....
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Posts: 273
Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
FYI: Here is the ingredient list for Elta MD UV Physical SPF 41:

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9.0%, Titanium Dioxide 7.0%.
Inactive Ingredients: Alpha Tocopheryl, Aluminum Hydroxide, Butylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Dimethicone/Methicone Copolymer, Hydrated Silica, Iodopropynl Butylcarbamate, Iron Oxide, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Octyl Stearate, Octyl Neopentanoate, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Perfluorononyl Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylate-13/Polyisobutene/Polysorbate 20, Purified Water, Quercitin, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Selenite, Thioctic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 599
Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Jax wrote:
FYI: Here is the ingredient list for Elta MD UV Physical SPF 41:

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9.0%, Titanium Dioxide 7.0%.
Inactive Ingredients: Alpha Tocopheryl, Aluminum Hydroxide, Butylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Dimethicone/Methicone Copolymer, Hydrated Silica, Iodopropynl Butylcarbamate, Iron Oxide, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Octyl Stearate, Octyl Neopentanoate, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Perfluorononyl Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylate-13/Polyisobutene/Polysorbate 20, Purified Water, Quercitin, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Selenite, Thioctic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.



First of all, do you know what Sodium hydroxide is? It's also known as caustic soda, or lye. That's what you use to make soap. Why in the world would something like this end up being in a sunscreen? I would not want all this going on my skin....
System
Automatic Message
Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Pevonia Spa Clinica Pro Micro-Retinol Essential Moisturizer (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Orlane Oligo Hypoallergenique Cleanser Lotion Duo (2 items) Gatineau Melatogenine AOX Probiotics Youth Activating Beauty Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)