Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Physical Sunscreen on EDS??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Foxe, oK you got me interested again - note to self to go and check out Skin Biology. Again, I am not too keen about them not putting in coated z-cote (do you remember why?).
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
moosejavian wrote:
Foxe, what about about SB's Day Cover? Between that and the suntanning lotion, which one do you think gives more protection?

I believe the Day Cover has more TiO2 in it V the Suntanning Lotion, so it should have more protection.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Foxe, oK you got me interested again - note to self to go and check out Skin Biology. Again, I am not too keen about them not putting in coated z-cote (do you remember why?).

I'm not sure about the z-cote. I'll look up some info on their website to see if they mention anything about it. I do know Dr P is not big on adding anything not necessary to his products, so that might be a reason. I, personally, wish he'd add a bit more stabilizers to some of their creams, as they tend to break down a bit too easily. He just doesn't like a lot of ingredients out there, finding them to hinder the progress you can get with the other ingredients offered.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok- I don't know what the zinc is coated with that you're interested in, but Dr Pickart answered someone else's question about coated zinc with this response:

Quote:
The zinc oxide micro-fine zinc oxide is coated with a patented form of dimethicone.

There is a discussion of these products at http://www.superiorskincare.com.au/Uploads/Images/Sunblock_Science.pdf.

There are two concerns with such products.

1. Octyl methoxycinnamate does alter cell growth - See http://www.tga.gov.au/docs/html/oestrogenicity.htm.

It also produces breakdown products when exposed to UV light and these can have toxic actions.

2. The coating over the zinc oxide may allow zinc oxide particles to penetrate into the skin

Not sure if that answers your question or not. Hope it helps, though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Actually.... the information I found was that the uncoated micronized zinc is what poses a problem of penetration and/or irritation and that the micronized version of zinc oxide should be coated with something like dimethicone to prevent these problems....
Interesting, thank you foxe, I will do more reading on dimethicone...

I am unable to open any such docs by clicking the link above, I get to some advertisement and no docs... Sad
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2010 8:21 am      Reply with quote
zeverenok - that is an old post (from '06) so things (website domains) have probably changed since then. sorry I can't be more help

Thu May 27, 2010 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Invisible Zinc Sunscreen used a coating for their micronized zinc?
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I think I have found what I can be content with so far - Heiko SPF 40 for kids - made in Canada. Check it out.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:42 am      Reply with quote
zverenok. Glad it is working for you. What do you like about it and where do you buy it? If you could share how you find it that would be great. Do you know the active sunscreen agents and does it leave a white or shiny finish? I am looking for the great ss like many others!! TIA Harriet
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
it's at local health stores, but you could also check heiko.ca to see where else it's sold. Main ingredient is zinc oxide (not the nano size one, regular), it's present at 20%.
It's got some good oils, and some cocoa powder to counteract the whitening effect. Goes on smoothly, not much whitening at all - it's actually light tan color (again due to cocoa powder).
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Do any of these physical sunscreens offer a PPD rating greater than 10?

Thanks BF
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
well, I am coming back to report that the kids sunscreen Heiko SPF40 which for some unknown reason has cinnamon oil caused a really bad reaction on my daughter's neck - looked like a burn, and I treated it with some jojoba & calendula oils....
annama949
5% products discount

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have the Elta MD UV shield SPF 45. Its combining chemical and physical. Its really light and easy to apply.

I also love the Sheseido Anessa series. It gives my skin a glowy natural look like tinted moisturizer. But it's kinda hard to remove so I guess that's how it works.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm, see my search for physical is for kids first of - i don't care if it leaves a white tone, as long as it's safe and working. I am really trying to steer clear of chemical sunscreens. I know in the forum someone mentioned the newest chemical sunscreen that is safe, and doesn't disintegrate under UV rays (don't recall, starts with "m"), but I haven't see one like that in any of the stores around GTA...
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:17 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Hmm, see my search for physical is for kids first of - i don't care if it leaves a white tone, as long as it's safe and working. I am really trying to steer clear of chemical sunscreens. I know in the forum someone mentioned the newest chemical sunscreen that is safe, and doesn't disintegrate under UV rays (don't recall, starts with "m"), but I haven't see one like that in any of the stores around GTA...

Hi zverenok,

thats Mexoryl- Lancome, Kiehls, La Roche Posay, Vichy all have sunscreen with it in.

I'm no longer using any chemical sunscreens. I'm currently using Invisible Zinc Face and Body spf 30 becuase I had it lying around. However, it is micronized zinc, so I'm going to use Dr LeWinns Facial Moisturising Lotion SPF 30 -20% zinc, un-micronized, non-nano Smile

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:

Hi zverenok,

thats Mexoryl- Lancome, Kiehls, La Roche Posay, Vichy all have sunscreen with it in.

I'm no longer using any chemical sunscreens. I'm currently using Invisible Zinc Face and Body spf 30 becuase I had it lying around. However, it is micronized zinc, so I'm going to use Dr LeWinns Facial Moisturising Lotion SPF 30 -20% zinc, un-micronized, non-nano Smile

Reading on what it says on Dr. Lewinns website about 100% transparency I'd believe it's nano-zinc oxide....
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:

Hi zverenok,

Reading on what it says on Dr. Lewinns website about 100% transparency I'd believe it's nano-zinc oxide....
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:

Hi zverenok,

Renato

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

this is my first post on EDS and I want to check with you if I am doing something wrong if my sunscreen:

I mix 2ml of the Devita Solar Body Block (19% micronized ZnO) with 0.5ml of an invisible and coated ZnO that I bought from Skin Essential Actives (I´m not sure if it's micronized or nano).

This mixture gives me a more protective sunscreen ( I think), a more matte finish (I live in Brazil and I have oily skin) and some water and sweat resistance.

Do you think I am doing this the right way? If not, could you please provide some suggestions?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Renato wrote:
Hello,

this is my first post on EDS and I want to check with you if I am doing something wrong if my sunscreen:

I mix 2ml of the Devita Solar Body Block (19% micronized ZnO) with 0.5ml of an invisible and coated ZnO that I bought from Skin Essential Actives (I´m not sure if it's micronized or nano).

This mixture gives me a more protective sunscreen ( I think), a more matte finish (I live in Brazil and I have oily skin) and some water and sweat resistance.

Do you think I am doing this the right way? If not, could you please provide some suggestions?

Sounds great! Since you're starting with devita and only adding pure zinc oxide to it, you can't go wrong! I have no doubt that the resulting sunscreen is very protective. You mix such small amounts- do you mix it every day?

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Renato wrote:
Hello,

Sounds great! Since you're starting with devita and only adding pure zinc oxide to it, you can't go wrong! I have no doubt that the resulting sunscreen is very protective. You mix such small amounts- do you mix it every day?

Oh, thank you for your reply.

I actually mix them every day (4 times a day, since I try to reapply every 2 to 3 hours), but it only takes a minute. I have a 2ml scoop for the Devita, a 0.5 for the zinc powder and then I just mix everything with a regular toothpick and put it on my face.

I've started to experiment with powder sunscreen first with the Colorescience SS, both the SPF 30 and the SPF 50 to mask the white cast of the physical sunscreens available in Brazil (so oily, thick and white). I like the Colorescience for extra protection, but not the color. Instead of using it after the sunscreen, I thought it best to mix them. I am a guy and I really don't want to look like I have makeup on. That´s why I chose Devita, the EDS forum really helped me to decide.

So now I use just actual zinc oxide powder (coated) with Devita. After I finish with this one, I´ll try the Z-Cote powder range (Z-Cote, Z-Cote HP-1 and Z-Cote Max) and see how they work on my skin.

But right now I am very happy with this regimen.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Renato - sounds like a great idea to get some extra coverage. I'll have to try it for those days when it is extra sunny. I find that I still get some color with Devita, so this may be the answer. Thanks for mentioning it.
babybear
5% products discount

Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:27 am      Reply with quote
I almost using a minerial foundation powder has physical sunscreen in the summer, it contains zinc oxide. Laughing
babybear
5% products discount

Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:48 am      Reply with quote
Eminence Tropical Vanilla Day Cream SPF32-face also is my favorite sunscreen protection in summer, its texture is light and contains natural Zinc, organic substances etc, Laughing
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
zverenok wrote:

Hi zverenok,

L'oreal has the patent on Mexoryl. There is inexpensive L'oreal products with Mexoryl. Ombrelle is also rather inexpensive and manufactured by L'Oreal.

This is a good time to stock up on drugstore sunscreens. A lot of stores have it marked down as end of season.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |