Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
These supplements showed SIGNIFICANT skin results
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
insomniaisagingmeearly
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
I came across this blog today by a dr where she gives her recommendation for supplements to help the skin.

She recommends: beta-carotene (5,000-25,000 daily) vitamin e (400-2,000 daily) vitamin c (1,000 daily) citrus bioflavonoids (100-300 daily) lutein (5-15 daily) lycopene (5-10 daily) grapeseed extract (25-50 daily)and gingo biloba (120 daily).

Those arent all the typical supplements which makes me want to try it and wonder if it really produces the results she talks about. She said in a study of 80 postmenopausal women, supplementation with these nutrients resulted in significant improvements in skin density, wrinkles around the eyes, forehead and mouth, blotchiness, wrinkles, sagging and dark circles under the eyes.

I'm so INTRIGUED!!!

So, does anyone take all of these supplements or most of them? If so, have you seen impressive or noticable results? Tell us about them.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Would you mind sharing your source for this info?

Thanks!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
I tried to post the link, but I'm unable to because I'm a new member. I was googling perimenopause and this blog by a Dr. came up. Thats where I found it. Let me see if I can find it again and I could give you the Dr.'s name so you can google it! Smile
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
http://blog.drlark.com/blog/menopause-symptoms-2/0/0/want-a-wrinkle-free-face-my-top-recommendations-for-wrinkle-free-skin

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:04 am      Reply with quote
I take a liquid vitamin called Liquid Life that has all the above mentioned supplements although a little short on the citrus bioflavinoids and grapeseed...I've been on it for a month now and I know my skin has been looking better than it ever has been....it's not strictly due to supplements of course as I have a skincare routine that has been working great for me these days...

But I am a firm believer in fighting from the outside and the inside....

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
Jane01
5% products discount

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:23 am      Reply with quote
I take some of these supplements and a few others Very Happy although I have only been taking these for just under a month.

I take a low acid high bioflavoniod vitamin c complex which contains 500mg vitamin c and 150mg of lemon bioflavonoid complex twice daily

I also take 500mg of Gotu Kola twice daily which I have been told works in harmony with Vitamin C. Gotu Kola can improve synthesis of collagen from fibroblasts and I was also told that it can straighten out the fibroblast, if that makes sense, I think that is what he said Very Happy

15mg Lycopene

and 15mg Lutein with 7mg Zeaanthin
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:00 am      Reply with quote
A few things to consider if deciding to take the high end recommendation of Vitamin E. You might look at some of the other foods you consume. There is more information on the site linked to. 

Herbs and spices high in salicylates include: 

Curry powder
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Paprika
Thyme
Cinnamon
Dill
Oregano
Turmeric
Licorice
Peppermint

Fruits high in salicylates include

Raisins
Prunes
Cherries
Cranberries
Blueberries
Grapes
Strawberries
Tangerines
Oranges
Other substance high in salicylates: 

Chewing gum
Honey
Peppermints
Vinegar
Wine
Cider

A 2001 study published in the European Journal of Nutrition found the salicylate content of organic foods to be higher than conventional foods. So if you are salicylate sensitive or have unexplained easy bleeding issues, you may want to experiment and see if you feel better by not eating organic foods.

I've received more than one email from my web site readers who developed bleeding problems after trying to consume large amounts of ripened berries from their gardens. They were trying to use up a bumper crop of a fruit like blueberries or strawberries and inadvertently thinned their blood from the unusually high berry consumption.

Vitamin E

Vitamin E is an antagonist to vitamin K. Some foods and topical substances these days are preserved with vitamin E, so it pays to read labels carefully. One of my sons, who otherwise has not had any unusual bleeding problems or easy bruising, developed a severe nose bleed from a hand sanitizer that had vitamin E used as a preservative. He woke up in the middle of the night one night with clots coming out of his nose, so I tried to think of what we had done differently that day as a possible cause. Then I remembered I had bought both kids a new hand sanitizing lotion at the local pharmacy, I checked the ingredients on the bottle and vitamin E was listed. So I gave him a lettuce salad to eat which stopped the bleeding and threw out the sanitizer. He has not had another nose bleed since that time.

http://www.ctds.info/natthinners.html

1. Murray, M. and Pizzorno, J. (1998). Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine. Rocklin, California: Prima Publishing.

2. Carper, J. (1988). The Food Pharmacy. New York: Banam Books

3. Hausman, P. & Benn Hurley, J. (1989). The Healing Foods. Emmaus, Pennsylvania: Rodale Press

4. Duke, J.A. (1997). The Green Pharmacy. Emmaus, Pennsylvania: Rodale Press

Related Links:

Health Conditions Linked to Vitamin K Deficiency

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:40 am      Reply with quote
I question the Vitamin E recommendation, especially the maximum of 2,000 IU.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/126268-overview

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 am      Reply with quote
Very interesting DM! You are always on the case! Wink

Seriously though, it's always good to know you got our backs....

I am starting to wonder now if this is why I was bleeding so much when I got my cheeks filled and bruised like a mad woman (it's been over 2 weeks since I had it done and they are just now barely noticeable)...not only do I take a vitamin with Vit E, I also consume lots of those foods on your list such as honey, fruits, spices etc multiple times daily....it has obviously thinned my blood as I have never been much of a bleeder or bruiser in my past....hmmmm

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:32 am      Reply with quote
bren21,

I know nowadays they provide a list of what you should stop prior to any procedure for at least 2 weeks for that very reason. Vitamin E is on that list, my kids prior to wisdom tooth extraction, endoscopy, colonoscopy ect. Even Green Tea is on the list! You really need to look into what might be a blood thinner and just how much you are consuming!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
I question the Vitamin E recommendation, especially the maximum of 2,000 IU.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/126268-overview

Thanks Lacy Great information on the link! Smile

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Dark Moon.
I was taking vitamin E and green tea one month after an under eye lid surgery and my black circles were not getting any better, I will eliminate these two components from my list of vitamins and supplements, since you are right, doctors recommend to stop them two weeks prior to surgery and two weeks after surgery and my doctor also told me to stop Omega 3, which is also a blood thinner.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my...I drink green tea like it's going out of style too Shock

I must have some mighty thin blood these days....

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:
Oh my...I drink green tea like it's going out of style too Shock

I must have some mighty thin blood these days....

bren,

I do also, and I don't have thin blood but if you add the others into your diet plus a very large dose of Vitamin E. I think that's looking for trouble! You need to take a look at your diet as a whole and see if you are already comsuming foods ect. that thin your blood.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to mention for any of you smokers out there, to be careful with the E and the Beta Carotene.
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Also, I'd be very careful of using only d-alpha tocopherol. Your body needs mixed tocotrienols and tocopherols as a vit. E supplement. Gamma-tocopherol is particularly important, and taking d-alpha tocopherol will actually displace this in the body. You can find mixed Es on iHerb's site.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
iherb carries Dr. Weil's brand of mixed tocotrienols and tocopherols . This is a good balanced pic. I don't know which Antonia is using but if I know her, she's got a winner going too!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
What did you mean about Vit E and beta carotene?I don't believe I've heard about this.Would you let me know.?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Leggy 61 wrote:
What did you mean about Vit E and beta carotene?I don't believe I've heard about this.Would you let me know.?

There might be even more to this but here is a little?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8127329

CONCLUSIONS. We found no reduction in the incidence of lung cancer among male smokers after five to eight years of dietary supplementation with alpha-tocopherol or beta carotene. In fact, this trial raises the possibility that these supplements may actually have harmful as well as beneficial effects.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Leggy 61 wrote:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA99992

http://healthhubs.net/cancer/vitamin-e-increases-lung-cancer-risk-in-smokers/

There was talk about these 2 supplements could increase ones chances of lung cancer in smokers.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |