Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vital foods to support facial plumpness/smoothness
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:08 am      Reply with quote
{ Moderator: This dicussion was split from the Skinny with wrinkles or Plump Tummy with no wrinkles thread found at http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=37314 }

A few other things that help my face to look plump and unwrinkled-ish (it's all relative !!) even though my body is slim...

spirulina (it's my 'magic bullet') i use at least 2 tablespoons a day ..it has protein/omega fats/chloropyl all in one product.

chia seeds (protein/minerals/vitamins.omegas) i use the whole seeds soaked..and ususally add nut/seed milk..and spirulina of course!

intense marshmallow (member of the mallow family) herbal tea infusions are especially beneficial for hydrating the face (and the whole body internal.. and external)one of the few moistening herbal teas, very gelatinous..can be mixed with other tea or juices, smoothies,etc.

sister sweets wrote:
Jasminerosey where do you get the intense marshmallow? I'm on the spirulina kick and chia seeds and chlorella too. I love it. Boyfriend calls it swamp water.

Sister Sweets,

the herb i use is the cut and shifted marshmallow root from Mountain Rose herbs. The 'intense' part is the way i make the infusion. about 3/4 cup of root in a mason jar with 1 quart of boiling water, seal the lid tightly and wait 4-8 hours. it's also possible to bring a qrt of water to boil in a pot, add your marshmallow root and cover the pot..the heavier the pot the better..but anuy with a tight fitting lid will do.

it's gelantinous (but so are chia seeds!)...so i usually add mine to other herbal infusions..or to my chia seed/rosehip/nutmilk/spirulina 'pudding'...but it can also be added to fruit or veggie juices or smoothies...the cooler it is the more gelantinous..it's this quality that makes it also soothing for the digestive system..so it's usually recommended to drink at room temp or slightly cool rather than warm

it is one of the few moisturizing herbs (many of them are diuretic and therefore drying to the skin) and is also cooling to the body. i really notice a dif in my skin when i drink it. please let me know, if you decide to try it, how it effects your skin. (you may not need the hydrating quality as much as i do)

(it's also high in calcium, magnesium and other nutrients..in avery highly assimilatable form)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Sister,
my dh also has a nicknme for my green concoctions..whether they are homemade energy soups or green powders (like spirulina, etc.)..he calls them 'green glop'...but he always eats/drinks a cup when i eat/drink mine ....does your bf partake with you?

have you noticed better/smoother skin tone or other benefits since adding the spirulina and chlorella to your diet..in addition the green smoothies?

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:48 am      Reply with quote
also, Sister, better not to blend the marshmallow infusion..as it will break up it's gelantinous quality..although i don't belief it would change the benefits to the skin in terms of moisturizing, it wouldn't be as sothing to the digestive tract (although you may not need that quality)

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi Jasminerosey,
Thank you Smile for the marshmallow information. I have been getting nettles from Mountain Rose Herbs - using for hair with ACV. I will get this next. I seem to have no problem with things that might be considered alternative-tasting...tee hee.
Any other ideas you have to offer...I"m all ears.

With regards to the swamp water, My BF will only watch in awe and amazement that I can actually drink such a thing.

He will sip a bit of green smoothie on occasion and thinks they are okay.

I've been dermarolling for the last month with a .25 and a .50 roller, as well as trying some new oils, tanaka massage and dry brushing so honestly I don't know what's happening from what. Rolling Eyes For me it's all about maintenance and going for some side improvements - like glow and a look of health Very Happy
I do think my skin is tighter and the complexion is good, has a nice color and yes... as you say tone, looks healthy. The sag situation is dealt with by facial exercises and massage I guess. Not sure what does what but I believe it's a good blend.

I'm going to up the spirulina to two Tablesp a day as you are doing and probably more chlorella also. Maybe if I keep all else the same I'll start noticing changes based on nutrition only. I remember you mentioned rose hips before - maybe I'll throw that on the MR order too.

Where do you get your spirulina? I'm using NOW foods - hawaiian spirulina. Don't know if that's the best choice. Any guidelines you have are appreciated. I love your nutrition choices. I wish I could be as disciplined. One step at a time I guess.

I'm convinced these are miracle foods based on all I am learning. I'm running out of bee pollen and not sure I'll restock. Have you ever used bee pollen?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:54 am      Reply with quote
I would love info on spirulina too. I've been getting the little 5 oz jars at Whole Foods -- ridiculously expensive and don't last long. I also don't mind unusual tastes or textures (I think I may prefer them) and will have to try the marshmallow infusion. Thanks, jasminerosey!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa - I got a large canister from either iherb.com or Swanson's - NOW Hawaiian spirulina. I'd go that way. I want to hear where Jasminerosy gets hers but this seemed like a good choice at the time as I did a lot of looking around and evaluating options as well as price. I try to never substitute quality for cost though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets and Hermosa,
I don't know much about the Now Spirulina..it's probably quite good quality...since it is a trutworthy brand....but the brand I know and trust the most for their green powders is Pure Planet (I also use their Just Barley powder... which is, imo, a really tasty, very high quality barley grass juice powder)

Lucky Vitamin offers a 2.2 lb.container of Pure Planet spirulina for something like $55 which i think is a great price...on the same site the Now spirulina is around $25 for 1 lb...so the price is about the same.

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
That is a good price. Thanks Jasminerosey.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Sister and Jasminerosey. I read all the reviews and was leaning toward Earthrise, but of course I know nothing about the people who post the reviews. Both NOW and Pure Planet sound great, and the price is definitely better than $20 for 5 oz!
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
One of the women who works at The Tree of Life in Arizona (a raw food retreat/education centre) says that her fave Spirulina is the Health Force brand. It may not be the most economical but I would imagine it is one of the best.

http://www.healthforce.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=13&category_id=1

I'm intrigued about Pure Planet. It's sure great to read such informational posts. I had an odd feeling today that the board would be hopping and I'm glad it is!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
The Health Force is wonderful. That's what I've been getting at Whole Foods. I just wonder if it's truly worth that much more $ than the others, since I haven't tried them. I'd rather get addicted to something equally good but less expensive!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:
The Health Force is wonderful. That's what I've been getting at Whole Foods. I just wonder if it's truly worth that much more $ than the others, since I haven't tried them. I'd rather get addicted to something equally good but less expensive!

Hermosa - Only one way to find out. I'm very happy with the NOW. It is hawaiian just as the pure planet is and the information about it seemed good. Still I will be using the pure planet brand next time and compare as much as I can. Sometimes we end up paying more than we need for a similar quality. Sounds like it is time for you to get addicted to something less expensive Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
I just ordered three different kinds - Now, Pure Planet, and Earthrise. I'll do a taste test and see how they compare to each other! And of course, if any of them produce incredible, immediate results, I will let you know.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Hermosa..and Sister Sweete,

I personally use Health Force spirulina (and actually also sell it,along with other especially vital supplements)but in the case of spirulina, because of the quality and integrity of the Pure Planet brand (and the people who began it)and the wonderful price it's offered on Lucky Vitamin, I personally won't suggest spending the extra money for the Health Force brand

Pure Planet, by the way, began with a young sustainable green living, high integrity type fellow (who i had met many times years ago when we were both 'boothing' at holistic expos)who grew, juiced and dried his own green kamut on his own honestly pristine mountain land...and later added his 'home' grown, juiced and dried barley grass powder..and has developed his company, from literally the 'grassroots' up. (that's one of the reasons i prefer it to a large company like Now.. who are not involved with the 'grassroots' aspect of what they market...even though their spirulina may come from the same source and be of equal quality)

Hermosa, it will be interesting to see if you feel a difference among the brands (personally, i would choose the Nutrex brand over Earthrise,you might want to experiment with that brand, also, in the future...i didn't mention it in my previous post cause the PP brand is such good quality for a much better price)

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:20 am      Reply with quote
just to bring this thread overtly back to topic..by reinterating that vital foods like spirulina and other green powders, green smoothies and energy soups, chia seeds, certain heral tea infusions, etc can really dramaticaly support our facial plumpness/smoothness as we age and still maintain our more slender (but still curvaeous/attractive..not scrawny... shapes)

Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I think I'm going to try the spirulina. I already drink green smoothies, chlorella, and chia seeds.

Jasminrosey, you've mentioned the energy soups on another thread. What are they?

BTW, yesterday, I read on another thread that MSM can help with both skin plumping and slimming down.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:16 am      Reply with quote
I bought some Spirulna while I was out just now. I was expecting it to be similar to the taste of my other greens. Woah, that's some nasty tasting stuff. Please tell me you get used to it. I bought a pound. The cat wanted some bad. I guess it smelled good to someone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia, it's one of two things (or a combo of both)..either the spirulina is rancid (i don't like to buy any of my powdered greens from the health food store, including the larger super market type health food stores like Whole Foods, because my personal experience has been that they are rancid..and becuase spirulina contains naturally occuring efa's..essential fatty acids...it is especially prone to rancidity. It becomes very fishy smelling (maybe that's what is attracting your cat) and fishy tasting, too, when it is rancid rather than fresh.

the second possibility is that you just do not resonate to the taste of spirulina (i adore spirulina, for example..i prefer it to chocolate (for real)..but i just don't like the taste of chlorella, no matter how fresh it is.

(i'll post some green energy soup recipes tomorrow)

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Calalilly, I missed your post, was reading through this thread too quickly this morning...yeah, the whole Health Force brand (alll their products) are really super vital.

Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Jasminerosey, it's not fishy smelling. Actually, I couldn't figure out why my cat liked it. Maybe I'll get used to it. It's definitely the spirulina. I didn't include the chorella today. How much water should I put with 1 teaspoon of spirulina? Maybe I'm not diluting it enough.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi tonia - I use about 8 oz of water to a a teas chlorella and a Tablesp of spirulina.

Jasminerosey - oddly enough I prefer the tast of chlorella to spirulina in the powders I have. Isn't that funny. I've heard most folks prefer spirulina to chlorella so I did not expect that. I am getting used to spirulina though and I definitely will keep it in my daily rotation.

tonia - You can probably add all the liquid you like or need to get it down. The idea is that you get it into your system. I think most advise 8 oz. I know some advocate eating the powder as is - no need to add to water. I'm sure not to that point.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:45 am      Reply with quote
TOnia,
here is the basic idea for energy soup... (this is what i meant by 'recipe'...sorry i actually have no 'real' recipe)

Anne Wigmore (the 'Mother'of the living food movement) created this because it was easy to make/store/carry with to work/etc

here is the basic general recipe:

1/2 apple, 1/2 avocado, small handful of dulse(can use flakes), rejuvalac(a homemade fermented water),(plain water can be used instead) with the rest of the blender filled with a variey of sprouts and spout green (like sunflower greens.(regular green..like spinach/dandelion//kale, etc can be used instead)

since my body is intolerant to avocados and apples(most fruits)..I use tomatoes and cukes for my base..sometimes i add homemade nut or seed milk..sometimes no added fats/protein at all)

spices like ginger/garlic/cayenne/ cumin/tumeric etc.can be added according to taste/constitutional requirements)...or herbs like fresh basil/sorrell, etc.

in india, they speak about sweet or savory dishes/snacks, etc....so a green smoothie would be sweet,while an energy soup would be savory (even if it includes 1/2 apple the overwhelming majority of the soup is greens and savory flavors.

)

Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I have only been using a teaspoon of spirulina. I have tablets for the chlorella, so it's not a problem. I tried the spirulina in orange juice and was able to get it down easier but I also had the extra calories. My theory is, if it only has a tiny bit of water, I can get it all down in one gigantic gulp followed by lots of water to get the taste out of my mouth. I'll try upping the amount to 1 TBS. I don't think I'm brave enough to attempt 8 oz of the stuff.

Thank you for your advice!

sister sweets wrote:
Hi tonia - I use about 8 oz of water to a a teas chlorella and a Tablesp of spirulina.

Jasminerosey - oddly enough I prefer the tast of chlorella to spirulina in the powders I have. Isn't that funny. I've heard most folks prefer spirulina to chlorella so I did not expect that. I am getting used to spirulina though and I definitely will keep it in my daily rotation.

tonia - You can probably add all the liquid you like or need to get it down. The idea is that you get it into your system. I think most advise 8 oz. I know some advocate eating the powder as is - no need to add to water. I'm sure not to that point.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Great post, Jasminrosey. I'll have to research some of the things you mentioned. There were several things in there that I've never heard of before.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
A piece of meat with dinner might not be enough protein, you should be aiming for at least 60 grams of protein a day. I would recommend eating fish, with a salad and a green vegetable for lunch. And aim to loose the weight very, very slowly.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |