Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

HELP w/Ingrown Toenail!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 am      Reply with quote
Anybody here have problems with ingrown toenails... My BIG toes are inflammed, red, painful, and infected.

I've been soaking them in warm water w/sea salt every night for the past two nights.

Will it get better? Any suggestions? Before I have to go to a podiatrist, I'm wanting to try at home remedies if there are any other than what I'm doing.

Please help! Thanks!!! (I searched for a thread for ingrown toenails, but only toenail fungus thread comes up!)
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:11 am      Reply with quote
gellys I used to suffer like that - it is very painful. I used to try to lift them up after they have been soaking but rarely had success. I think it is because of the way the nail is growing.

Eventually I had to suck it up, go to the podiatrist and have them cut out. That was no picnic either but it does provide years of relief.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Gellys about a year ago I was in the same boat and was in excruciating pain. So much so, that I couldn't even touch my toe to cut the nail. So I eventually went to a podiatrist who sliced off about 1/4" of the nail and killed the root in that area. She made a complete mess of the job and I won't bore you with the details of the subsequent infection and two rounds of anti-biotics I had to take afterwards Mad
Today I now have 1/2 toenail that's grown curvy and is now ingrown on the other side!!! A friend of mine had the same problem, had pieces of the nail removed 3 times and ended up having the entire nail removed!!
Wish I could offer some real advice, but by the sounds of your nail you really should seek medical attention. I did read somewhere that Vitamin E oil helps, but I haven't tried it myself.
I too will be interested if anyone has any real solution.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:22 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone has tried it but Dr. Scholls makes a kit called outgrow with a liquid and pads to cover the treated portion, between that and a special file that you use regularly to keep the nail scraped down underneath I managed to get rid of them a couple of years ago and now just need the file about once every week after bathing.

ETA They changed the name but here is a link to the product.

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/productSearch.do?method=doProductDetailsLookup&searchArg=65

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:21 am      Reply with quote
There is a special file for ingrown toe nails,I ordered mine years ago at at The Foot Store,but you can find them at CVS and Walgreens now.Like DM said soak your feet first than use the file under the nail. It worked for me,those things are so painful.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Leggy 61 wrote:
There is a special file for ingrown toe nails,I ordered mine years ago at at The Foot Store,but you can find them at CVS and Walgreens now.Like DM said soak your feet first than use the file under the nail. It worked for me,those things are so painful.

They are torture! The Dr. Scholls softens the nail and has a pad plus cover and numbs the pain which you can wear under regular shoes, I really found it helped to get them under control initially! The file is a life saver and like Leggy said they are at most all drug stores and Sally's or any beauty supply. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
They are definitely painful! I'm going to go out and buy some Vit E & Dr Scholls. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

If it gets worse, I will make an appt to see a podiatrist, but I do want to be missing parts of my toenail!!! Sad
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
gellys wrote:
They are definitely painful! I'm going to go out and buy some Vit E & Dr Scholls. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

If it gets worse, I will make an appt to see a podiatrist, but I do want to be missing parts of my toenail!!! Sad

Try the file if you can, it really relieves the pressure and thins the nail from underneath so it can't dig into the skin, then it can grow out past that point. It really does a great job of preventing a repeat performance!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
gellys,

After soaking, instead of trying to lift my nail I would pull the skin away from it, this way and that way. If you have a lot of ingrowing, it probably won't do enough, though. I also rubbed essential oils on the area -- lavender and citrus ones to kill off germs.

I read somewhere on line that you can run dental floss under that corner of nail to coax it out of the flesh.

Do you know which shoes are causing it? Toss them!

Pluto

5% products discount

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:36 am      Reply with quote
According to the articles I read, in order to prevent it, it's the most important to trim the toenails properly. "· Cut toenails straight across and leave the nails a little longer at the corners so that the sharp ends don’t cut into the skin." But since you're already suffering from the infection, I'll tell you what I did. Years ago I had ingrown toenail and my toe swelled and inflamed. To stop the pain, I pushed my skin away from the toenail and trimmed the part that already grown into skin. It hurt a little bit, but it's ok as long as there's no bleeding.
Firewoman

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:42 am      Reply with quote
A few months ago I had a freak accident at my fiance's workshop. I was walking up the stairs while wearing flip flops and I tripped. Somehow, the big toenails on both of my feet caught on the metal strip at the corner of one of the stairs. Ouch! I shudder to think of this. Both big toenails ripped almost halfway down. When my right toenail finally grew out, it was curved in and ingrown. I "fixed" the problem, but in the process stabbed myself with the pointed end of nail file. Went to the doctor for resulting infection. It hurt so bad I could hardly walk. The doc prescribed topical antibiotic, which was very messy to apply. Someone at healthfood store recommended collodial silver drops. So, every night after soaking my feet and pushing back cuticle, I put a few drops of silver on my injured toe. It worked wonders! The infection cleared up within two days.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |