Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Help me determine my skin type!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LL
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

For the longest time I pegged myself as someone with extremely sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin. But after a course of accutane and aging (I'm 29 years old) I'm convinced that I'm using the wrong products for my face.

I still have highly sensitive, acne-prone skin, but my skin is also flaking and tight as well. After I wash my face with Clinique liquid mild soap, my face is extremely tight. I put on Impruv moisturizer (which was recommended to me by my dermatologist when I was on accutane) and it relieves that tight feeling but it also feels very greasy.

I recently purchased a clarisonic (from EDS!) and my skin has been peeling like mad. I've been using it for about 4 days - did anyone experience this? Where it literally feels like the top layer of the skin is shedding like a snake?? I use it once a day for no more than 1.5 minutes. What does this all mean??? At 29, I really feel like I should have my acne under control but it's really making me sad and depressed that the typical products aimed for treating acne aren't helping because my skin is also dry.

I'm just at a loss! Help! Can anyone start me aon a regime?
gimidalight
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
Sounds like you have combination skin. I have this slightly, where I sometimes get spots round my T zone. There are cleansers and toners out there for combination skin, as for a moisturiser your skin is probably more dehydrated so drink water and use a water based moisturiser for dry skin. Also for spots and blackheads (baine of my life) use a exfoliating scrub once a week and follow with a face mask-something that talks about deep cleaning. This will help to clear oil and dry skin off, and you can rehydrate with the moisturizer through the week.
Hope this helps
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I would definitely find a new cleaner. Your skin should not feel tight after you wash, if it does your cleanser is too harsh. Sounds like you also need a new moisturizer.

I don't recall anyone saying the clarisonic made their skin peel. Sounds like its too harsh for you. I'd take a break from it till your skin stops flaking.

How long have you been off accutane? If you are still acne prone I'd go back to the derm.
LL
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your feedback!

GirlieGirl: I've been off accutane for several years now. I've also been back to the derm several times since being off accutane. I was prescribed Differin, which helped some, but hasn't cleared me up. I also wear waterproof sunscreen everyday so I feel like I need to double-clean my face in order to get everything off. So I use Cover-Fx's makeup remover all over the face and then use clinique's liquid mild cleanser. I recently added in the clarisonic. I was really hoping the clarisonic would help my skin, since it's had such a positive effect on so many people. Do you recommend any specific cleansers and moisturizers?

gimidalight: Can you recommend any products that have worked well for you? i try to steer away from products with too many fragrant oils and really just look for items that are relatively simple.

Thanks!!!
kikiw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:07 am      Reply with quote
Sounds like you have combination skin. I also obsessed by acne before and always try to clean my face as thoroughly as possible, and use oil-free products, wish to control oil. But this does not help at all. I changed to gentle cleanser, not too harsh for the skin. And reinforce the hydration. Sunscreen is also important to acne skin.
gimidalight
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
I'm in the UK and use a mixture of products from thalgo and a brand called 'simple'. I don't know if you have this brand in the US but it is aimed at people with sensitive skin and contains no fragrances or harsh chemicals, it's great, and much cheaper than thalgo (mainly use thalgo moisterisers as I have really dry skin). The other thing is the tablets for acne usually change your skin ie. more easily sunburned, so coming off these tablets may be having some effect though I'm not sure as I've never taken them.
Also the tightness of skin, does it happen after a hot bath/shower, or is it just from cleansing your face? The reason I ask is I still get really tight skin and blotchy red patches after showers, or swimming in the sea or swimming pool, I just put on a heap of moisturiser after and it seems to be O.K.
Hope you get something sorted out, it sounds really sore.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:54 am      Reply with quote
LL wrote:
I've been off accutane for several years now. I've also been back to the derm several times since being off accutane. I was prescribed Differin, which helped some, but hasn't cleared me up. I also wear waterproof sunscreen everyday so I feel like I need to double-clean my face in order to get everything off. So I use Cover-Fx's makeup remover all over the face and then use clinique's liquid mild cleanser. I recently added in the clarisonic. I was really hoping the clarisonic would help my skin, since it's had such a positive effect on so many people. Do you recommend any specific cleansers and moisturizers?

Differin is for mild acne IMO. It's a good place to start though since its considered gentler then other rx products. But if it's not working that great its time to move up to something else or add something antibacterial, as most people need both. I used Differin .1 and .3 and neither did anything for my acne.

Have you thought about using a cleansing oil at night? It will work great for removing your waterproof sunscreen. I think DHC cleansing oil is excellent because it rinses clean and there is no need for another cleaner. In the morning I'd use a very basic cleanser like Cerave or Cetaphil.

For basic moisturizers I like Cerave or mixing HA with a carrier oil.

I bought the clarionic a few years back and returned it. I found it just was not helpful for my skin.
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 am      Reply with quote
I have combination skin (oily, dry, sensitive and acne prone). I use Vivier foaming cleanser paired with the cream that literally changed my life! http://www.essentialdayspa.com/vivier-lexxel-ids-redness-p_6617.htm

I also like to use dermalogica micro exfoliant every morning instead of the clarisonic brush.

Also, i add a couple of drops of jojoba oil to my cream during the evening.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that you're probably combination now. I'd avoid harsh cleansers like the Clinique (despite the name, it's going to be too much for your skin) and find a cleansing milk or cream without surfactants (detergent). Cetaphil might be a good place to start. And moisturize using oils (jojoba and argan oil are awesome for combination, acne-prone skin since they moisturize without clogging pores). Always apply only a few drops of oil, warmed between your hands to damp skin for the best results. Garden of Wisdom sells all kinds of oils at very reasonable prices.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses everyone!

GirlieGirl: I've tried MAC cleansing oil in the past and that wrecked havoc on my skin. I broke out in terrible cysts all over my face and it dried my face to no end. Since that incident, I have been very reluctant to try try oil cleasning again - although I know that it is the best way to remove waterproof sunscreen. Should I give it another go? Sigh...the fear!

nijey: I have used Cetaphil in teh past but I found that it just didn't clean my face well enough. I would still have make up and suncreen on my face after washing and that led to more acne. Would a cleansing milk/cream be too heavy for my face, since I am also acne prone? Is there one that you could recommend?

gimidilight: I live in Canada and have never heard of the Simple brand. I will, however, check out the Thalgo line. What products do you use from the line?

Cortigirl: I'll also check out Vivier - thanks! Unfortunately, jojoba oil has proved to disagree with my skin as well. I tried using a few drops a few years back and also woke up with cystic acne. Are there other oils that you can recommend?

Thanks for everyone's help!
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
LL wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone!

GirlieGirl: I've tried MAC cleansing oil in the past and that wrecked havoc on my skin. I broke out in terrible cysts all over my face and it dried my face to no end. Since that incident, I have been very reluctant to try try oil cleasning again - although I know that it is the best way to remove waterproof sunscreen. Should I give it another go? Sigh...the fear!

nijey: I have used Cetaphil in teh past but I found that it just didn't clean my face well enough. I would still have make up and suncreen on my face after washing and that led to more acne. Would a cleansing milk/cream be too heavy for my face, since I am also acne prone? Is there one that you could recommend?

gimidilight: I live in Canada and have never heard of the Simple brand. I will, however, check out the Thalgo line. What products do you use from the line?

Cortigirl: I'll also check out Vivier - thanks! Unfortunately, jojoba oil has proved to disagree with my skin as well. I tried using a few drops a few years back and also woke up with cystic acne. Are there other oils that you can recommend?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Hey LL,

If you like to read you should check out the book Skin Type Solutions by Leslie Baumann. At the beginning of the book you take a quiz to determine what skin type you are. Then there will be a section that tells you about your type and what products that would be best for you. Smile
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hey LL
I wonder if you are not like me, with allergic skin. I started off with sensitive skin that could be a bit dry in places and oily in others, but then a few years ago my skin became quite reactive. I too would lose a whole lot of skin after using something it did not like, and acne is a side effect of that. I had to search for anything that helped it to calm down and now I can tolerate very little on my face. If you were to lay off the products for a few days and use only water and maybe a hypoallergenic wash, you might see a difference. Then add the products back one at a time. You might be able to find if anything is causing these reactions. My doctor said people can develop allergic skin at any age, so it is possible. Not sure if this will help, but it made a huge difference to my skin. It looks really healthy now, and since adding zinc to my diet I hardly ever get pimples now.
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
LL
I forgot to add that a fantastic oil to use on sensitive skin that is acne prone is Sea Buckthorn. I got mine from Noah's in Toronto. A small vial of it is Twenty bucks, but it goes a long way and helps heal up the acne and makes your skin less prone to break outs. You would not want to use it as a cleansing oil, but it helps skin like your and mine, so see if you can find some.
All the best
Al
sofiya
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
you can look after your own skin, you can determine the type by yourself.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |