Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
best sunscreens with high ppd available in Canada
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi. I am hoping some of you can help me find a "cosmetically elegant" sunscreen with a high ppd. I am so confused by the ingredients lists on LRP, Avene, RoC, etc. I am presently using Shiseido and loving it but I have read it only has a ppd of 8 or so. I want something for summer use and would prefer to be able to buy it in a store or EDS rather than online elsewhere unless it is a very reliable site. I have read that the European ss are the best but those formulations are not available in Canada or the US. TIA Harriet
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
If the Shiseido spf 50 is working well for you, I would stick with it. It is water resistant as you require an oil based cleanser to remove. You know your protection lasts all day.

I wear the LRP Hydraphrase UV 30 that has Mexoryl SX. I think the PPD is about the same. I can wear this daily and use a heavier SS if I am actually going to be out in the sun.

Look for Mexoryl SX. L'oreal has the patent. L'oreal companies are LRP, Vichy (I think), Lancome, Ombrelle. Some of these are just too heavy IMO for every day use but OK for a day.

RoC has come out with Tinosorb as a sunscreen filter. I have not tried it but RoC is available in SDM.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:52 am      Reply with quote
thanks Autumn 1995. I bough the RoC Soleil Protexion Velvet Moisture 60spf with Tinosorb m+5 at Pharma Plus. tried a bit on my face and seemed fine. I also got the LRP Anthelios with Mexoryl XL and SX which is as you said heavier, will use it when at the beach. I am going south and will test them there. I really like the Shiseido but a bit drying by afternoon (not sure if applying moisturizer over gets through to skin or negatively affects the spf). I will purchase their new 60spf in the US and see how it is. Do you know of any place to buy Soffina in Canada? I feel a bit obsessive but why undo all the benefits of products with new sun damage when my sun spots are fading. Thanks again for your thoughtful reply. Harriet
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Harriet:

The skincare members on MUA are very much into SS. I don't believe Soffina can be purchased in a regular store in Canada.

I am quite oily but found the Shiseido drying on checkbones, etc. You could try a moisturizer under it or just use it up on body, hands. The general opinion on MUA is the members prefer the original formula.

Do post on the ROC as it is rather new and I would like to hear how it works. I am sticking with my assortment of SS products for now but like to hear about new stuff.

I agree, why spend time and money on treatments on then go bake in the sun?
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for starting this thread, I am trying to look for a good sunscreen and like you I want something locally available or on EDS so I don't have to worry about customs. Is the RoC a physical sunscreen?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
moosejavian wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread, I am trying to look for a good sunscreen and like you I want something locally available or on EDS so I don't have to worry about customs. Is the RoC a physical sunscreen?

The new one that Harriet bought has Tinosorb. It is a rather new sunscreen filter that will last all day (photostable). I don't know how it compares to Mexoryl that L'oreal has the patent on.

RoC does have a physical sunscreen. I tried one years ago and it was awful. Heavy, oily and made my face very shiny.

Are you looking for a physical sunscreen?
Shlovies
5% products discount

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
I believe you already mentioned the Avene but the Bioderm is supposed to be fabulous.I'm unable to post the link for the recommendations but it is Avène Emulsion Very High Protection for Sensitive Skin
SPF 50+ (PPD-UVA <20) 50 ml.
and
Bioderma AKN MAT SPF 40 (PPD-UVA 26) 40 ml.

Dries matte. Excellent for oilier skin types.
Exceptional UVA protection -- PPD 26

and

Bioderma Photoderm MAX Fluide SPF 50+ (PPD-UVA 3Cool 40 ml.
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn, yes I am more interested in a physical sunscreen. Do you have any recommendations?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
moosejavian wrote:
Autumn, yes I am more interested in a physical sunscreen. Do you have any recommendations?

Of the physical sunscreens I like Neostrata Cliniderm best.

I tried RoC Minersol - too greasy.
Also Avene was very heavy.
Clinique Sheer spf 25 gave me a rash ( I suspect the botancials.)

I do like Clarins spf 30 eye cream with titanium dioxide.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
moosejavian wrote:

Here is my review and list of ingredients for Neostrata.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=523231&highlight=neostrata+cliniderm#523231
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Autumn, I was actually at Rexall Pharma today and tried the Cliniderm before I saw your post. I liked how fluid it is and easy to apply although it still left a little bit of whitish cast for me. I applied it over my MMU though as I was already "made up" for the day but I think the cast would be easy to cover up. I posted on the other thread and was wondering if there is anything on the ingredient list that is questionable with regards to safety or efficacy?
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
I've used Avenue SPF 50 but note that is does STAIN!!! I ruined my brand new Victoria Secret Bikini...but at least I didnt burn.

I'd rather opt for a lower SPF and get reapplying!!!! Every 1.5 hours
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
moosejavian wrote:
Thanks Autumn, I was actually at Rexall Pharma today and tried the Cliniderm before I saw your post. I liked how fluid it is and easy to apply although it still left a little bit of whitish cast for me. I applied it over my MMU though as I was already "made up" for the day but I think the cast would be easy to cover up. I posted on the other thread and was wondering if there is anything on the ingredient list that is questionable with regards to safety or efficacy?

The Cliniderm is about as basic as sunscreen can be. I don't see a white cast but I am quite fair. I would wear the lightest shade in founation from a drugstore. It does not have a lot of extras = fragrance, parabens, etc.

There is some other sunscreens that I have not tried that you can check out.

Devita has raves. There is a thread on EDS and also some reviews on MUA.

There is some that can be ordered online from Europe. Not sure if that is an option for you.
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Autumn, I stopped by Rexall again today and bought the Cliniderm. I am hoping it will give good protection during the summer months. I tried the P+S sunscreen for sensitive skin but it didn't give me enough protection even during a 15 min drive. It was more white too and not as fluid as Cliniderm. If I am not happy with Cliniderm's performance in the next few weeks then I will start to look again for other options.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |