Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
You are beautiful!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I wanted to share something with all of you. My mom clipped this out of a magazine. I keep this by my mirror.

You are beautiful!
Yes, you! It's easy to look in the mirror and see what we're not. But it's time to see you've got: an inner glow that radiates out! Remember, you don't have to be perfect to be pretty, you don't have to be skinny to be stunning and you don't have to look like someone else to be gorgeous. You just have to be yourself!
Smile
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
What a great thing to share. My DH says that to me but doesn't get why I never believe him. What you have been told growing up and your belief system colors the way you see yourself and it is so hard to change. Which is the everlasting quest for the Holy Grail of beauty products/gadgets, etc. for most women that makes the money for this industry.
If you don't tell your daughters they are smart enough, witty enough, special enough, etc. they will look for the first person who does. Even if it is just what they need to hear for/and in the heat of the moment. So make sure you are the person who reinforces those beliefs for them or they will find someone who will.
Thanks again for that great piece of wisdom and I will try to remember that myself.
Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:40 am      Reply with quote
SCJ - love it - absolutely love it!
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
What a great thing to share. My DH says that to me but doesn't get why I never believe him. What you have been told growing up and your belief system colors the way you see yourself and it is so hard to change. Which is the everlasting quest for the Holy Grail of beauty products/gadgets, etc. for most women that makes the money for this industry.
If you don't tell your daughters they are smart enough, witty enough, special enough, etc. they will look for the first person who does. Even if it is just what they need to hear for/and in the heat of the moment. So make sure you are the person who reinforces those beliefs for them or they will find someone who will.
Thanks again for that great piece of wisdom and I will try to remember that myself.
Wink

Yes your right it's hard to debunk something that you have believed for so long. Like I said I placed this message by my mirror. Sometimes I think my magnified mirror is the devil. Laughing I'm glad you enjoyed this! Take Care Very Happy
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
SCJ - love it - absolutely love it!

I'm glad you enjoyed this message! I hope it helps you in your life's journey! Smile
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
My hubby says I never obsessed until he gave me my 5X magnifying mirror for my birthday that I asked for when my age and eyesight caught up to each other. He wishes he never gave me that evil thing! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:20 am      Reply with quote
Wonderful!

what is "perfect" anyway... and to whom..
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
My hubby says I never obsessed until he gave me my 5X magnifying mirror for my birthday that I asked for when my age and eyesight caught up to each other. He wishes he never gave me that evil thing! Laughing

Boy your husband and my boyfriend sound alike. He doesn't like my mirror either!

My brother came over the other day and he was shocked when he looked into my magnifying mirror. He asked me "why on earth do you have this thing". LOL
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
blueeyes wrote:
Wonderful!

what is "perfect" anyway... and to whom..

Yes that's a very good question. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

I'm glad you enjoyed this message! I think I need to read it again. Smile
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:46 am      Reply with quote
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
I especially think that in the case of my 4 year old niece. We were standing in line at the store a while back and there was Christie Brinkley on the cover. She says "Aunt Ann, that's you"! I laughed so hard and my hubby told her she made my day. I asked my hubby later why he think she said that and he said because I smile alot when I am with her and she sees that joy and happiness and Christie did have a big smile on her face. But all I could see of the the resemblance is that we both had blonde hair and blue eyes, but it was awfully sweet. So maybe to a child happiness and joy comes thru as beauty, more so than the physical part. All I know is she brings that part out in me when she is with here.
But I do find with that dang mirror I tend to pick more, because I can see everything, and that's not good.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
I especially think that in the case of my 4 year old niece. We were standing in line at the store a while back and there was Christie Brinkley on the cover. She says "Aunt Ann, that's you"! I laughed so hard and my hubby told her she made my day. I asked my hubby later why he think she said that and he said because I smile alot when I am with her and she sees that joy and happiness and Christie did have a big smile on her face. But all I could see of the the resemblance is that we both had blonde hair and blue eyes, but it was awfully sweet. So maybe to a child happiness and joy comes thru as beauty, more so than the physical part. All I know is she brings that part out in me when she is with here.
But I do find with that dang mirror I tend to pick more, because I can see everything, and that's not good.

Annie,

I'm sure you niece really thought you look like Christie! Children are very observant. She probably saw Christie and thought " Wow my aunt is just as beautiful". Do you get to spend a lot of time with your niece? I have a special aunt that is just like a mom. Smile

As for the mirror... I always pick at myself when I look in that dang thing. Sometimes I get blackheads by my chin. Then I pick them. THEN I get a big spot where the blackhead was. Luckily the blackheads are few now a days. Laughing
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:24 am      Reply with quote
We do have a once a month special time when she comes up for 2-3 nights and/or a very long weekend. I am going to get her today until Saturday as a matter of fact! I call her weekly and drive down when I can but she is an hour 1/2 away. She has a special closet with all her toys, dress up clothes, barbies and her very own barbie jeep. I have gotten tons of used stuff cheap off Craig's List, so it makes her feel as if she has her very own special time and place here.
She has a 2 year old baby sister that's in the Me Too stage. She likes to call me up and say she just needs a break, especially since baby Shrek (her sister) is teething, so off we go to pick her up.
I want her to feel special, especially growing up in a small town. Mean girls are quite the norm there. I ought to know, its where I grew up and got most of my self-esteem issues.
I have an only child, a son, who is 6 minutes away who has had to adjust to sharing at age 23.
They have worked it out in the fact that both realize that the other one is just as special and isn't going anywhere.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:51 am      Reply with quote
And I should add that we want to broaden her horizons, let her know that there are choices for her future and who she wants to be and where she want to go. We weren't encourage to think college, we were encouraged to think homemaker down there 29 years ago. I had to move to the big city to find myself and love myself without someone else's approval. So I will try to teach her that to be whole is not be the other half of someone else. I have been lucky, but many of my friends that are feeling"stuck" there and unhappy haven't.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Wow, AnnieR. I am very impressed with you. You are a great aunt. How wonderful for you to teach and show your neice all these things. You must be a lovely person. It is so nice to see this amongst all the negative things we see and hear daily.
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
And I should add that we want to broaden her horizons, let her know that there are choices for her future and who she wants to be and where she want to go. We weren't encourage to think college, we were encouraged to think homemaker down there 29 years ago. I had to move to the big city to find myself and love myself without someone else's approval. So I will try to teach her that to be whole is not be the other half of someone else. I have been lucky, but many of my friends that are feeling"stuck" there and unhappy haven't.

That's great that you have taken your niece under your wing. When she looks back on her life she'll think of you!

I think children need all the support they can get! I'm sure you make her feel really special and that is important!

Yes girls can be mean, but you'll teach her to have a great self esteem! I hope you have fun together this weekend!

Smile
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks guys!
And it is so funny/sad because it is almost a case in point on the beauty issue.
We pick her up and her mom is in a snit because the lady at the salon chopped off her hair ala a"Suri Cruise" bob. Goes on and on in front of her how horrible it looks to the point of obsession.
It is the cutest darn thing and I think it looks adorable and the child loves her new hairdo and is so excited. So I ask my SIL what the deal is and she says, but every little girl down here has long hair.
Drives me bonkers! So my niece loves it and it's cute but it isn't the norm so it's not acceptable? By the standards of whom?
And so my niece asks me, why Aunt Ann doesn't my mom like it and why is she so mad? I know what I feel like saying (and my DH gets an earful later after babydoll is asleep) but then I know what I say. And I tell her that if she is happy then that is all that matters and all that should matter to her. Because in the end if you are happy with yourself then it is just enough. And I wish someone would have said that to me at her age.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Annie.. I HIGHLY recommend the book Odd Girl Out...

What a special Auntie you are!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:25 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Thanks guys!
And it is so funny/sad because it is almost a case in point on the beauty issue.
We pick her up and her mom is in a snit because the lady at the salon chopped off her hair ala a"Suri Cruise" bob. Goes on and on in front of her how horrible it looks to the point of obsession.
It is the cutest darn thing and I think it looks adorable and the child loves her new hairdo and is so excited. So I ask my SIL what the deal is and she says, but every little girl down here has long hair.
Drives me bonkers! So my niece loves it and it's cute but it isn't the norm so it's not acceptable? By the standards of whom?
And so my niece asks me, why Aunt Ann doesn't my mom like it and why is she so mad? I know what I feel like saying (and my DH gets an earful later after babydoll is asleep) but then I know what I say. And I tell her that if she is happy then that is all that matters and all that should matter to her. Because in the end if you are happy with yourself then it is just enough. And I wish someone would have said that to me at her age.

This is where it all begins...little girls learn to conform so they will accepted - having your own style is not an option..
You're a great role model for your niece, hang in there for her!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:21 am      Reply with quote
clustersof3 wrote:

I totally agree, AnnieR. You rock! Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:34 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
clustersof3 wrote:

I totally agree, AnnieR. You rock! Very Happy

I completely agree, and all little girls should have someone like you in their lives! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys for all the kind words. We are busy painting rocks today and looking for snails.
It's nice to have someone force you to take some down time!

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |