Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hana Elite Flat Iron - First Impressions and questions. Long
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all, just received my package from Misikko.com and eagerly tore it open to try out the Hana Elite 1" Flat Iron.

Although this lengthy post includes a review, I haven't used a flat iron in years... So many questions, that's why I opted not to submit to the Product Reviews section.

First, the package. Wow! I ordered the Ultimate Hana Elite gift set. http://www.misikko.com/ultimate-elite-flat-iron.html - This includes the 1" 100% ceramic iron, a travel iron, heat proof pouches for both, a heat proof mat to protect the counter top, Shine shield for heat styling, cleaner for the iron, some candles and a little freebie pouch for hands and feet. Both irons were packaged in tins, and a couple of silk roses were included in the package. I felt like Christmas!

On to the iron itself. I opted for the Hana Elite because I heard about the FHI Runway, and this is a comparable model for less $. I was concerned with damaging my hair and didn't want to have to take more than 2 passes. Misikko.com also has a reasonable return policy, unlike an unknown seller on Amazon.

My type of curl is probably 3b...I enjoy my curly hair but wanted a change. This was the only change I could manage, short of bleaching my hair.

Plugged in the iron, initially set the temp at 240. Waited until the light started blinking, probably less than a minute.. Sectioned my hair to start with the bottom layer first, pinned up the rest with these awesome hair clips I ordered.

Distributed a small amount of Hana Shine shield on the bottom layer, combed out with a small tooth carbon comb and started in 1-2 inch wide sections. After 2 passes, it was much straighter than I expected but I wanted stick straight and had to repeat once more.

Cranked up the heat to 370. With that temp, I was able to straighten the rest in 1-2 passes per section.

Not bad, took me about 45 minutes.

Only I think I used too much of the shine shield because now my hair looks greasy. I put a little on each section before running the iron, should I not have done that? I didn't want to damage it. How much is too much?

It's obvious I need a haircut... How realistic is it to get a cut suitable for naturally curly days AND the flat iron days? If I get a cut for natural curl, will it look silly when I straighten it? If I get a cut for straight hair, will I be stuck ironing every day? I'm thinking longer layers may be better for both but would like to know what works for others.

Now that my hair is straight, I noticed all the grey underneath! I just colored my hair a couple weeks ago, obviously missed a lot! How many of you curly girls straighten your hair BEFORE you color? I'm thinking this well be the best way to make sure I'm not missing anything!

Note: after unplugging the iron, it was cool enough within 10 minutes to stow away in the heatproof pouch.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
BTW, my hair isn't as over the top shiny as I was hoping for. Think this a result of too much product?

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
A very nice review Athena - I've looked at the Hana Elite. Pricey little devil but I'm considering it when my other one goes bye by or stops heating the way I want. I spent over $120 on the one I have and I thought that was way much. It's a few years old with heavy usage so I've gotten my money's worth out of it - Good old Faithful.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi sister sweets, yes it is spendy.... I've been researching flat irons for the last few months. Was considering the Sephora Brand for $70, but I was so worried about damage I opted to go with the Hana.

I forgot to mention how smoothly it passes through the hair. No snagging, no need to apply any pressure at all. Followed up each pass with a fine tooth comb (another thing I haven't used in years!), then another pass with the iron, followed by the fine tooth comb again.

When I was done, ran a brush through my now straight hair... another thing I haven't done in years! Smile

Ooh, another question... With all the research I've been doing, have run into a lot of references to the effect that some don't wash their hair for 3-4 days? Is that really true? I don't wash my hair every day either, but every day I DO condition it. Do people really not wash or wet their hair for this long? My head itches just thinking about that!

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
A very nice review Athena - I've looked at the Hana Elite. Pricey little devil but I'm considering it when my other one goes bye by or stops heating the way I want. I spent over $120 on the one I have and I thought that was way much. It's a few years old with heavy usage so I've gotten my money's worth out of it - Good old Faithful.

What kind are you using, what type of hair and length do you have?

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
I wash my hair every second - third day (try to wait for third day). I know that grosses some people out but It's much healthier that way. I don't have oily hair though at all. I will wash it sooner if I have a really heavy duty, sweaty work out but I try to time those with hair washing day. Laughing
The Hana sounds great - really does. I like anything that works toward keeping the hair healthy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
I wash every other day, on rare occasions I'll hold out for the 3rd day but on non shampoo days I still wet my hair, massage conditioner in it then rinse. I simply can't imagine NO WATER on hair for more than a day, unless I'm back country camping or something!

I don't really have oily hair, but the eeww! factor kicks in at the prospect of not treating to water and scalp massage on a daily basis. Very Happy

Something else occurs to me... Last time I was a Sephora to try a sample of Living Proof, I asked them whether I should try the gel, spray, or cream. Apparently they're taught that you can determine the texture of your hair by the diameter when you bunch it up in a pony tail. They're absolutely wrong. Curl makes it thicker! With my curly hair, the size of a pony tail is a 50 cent piece. Now that it's straight, down to less than the size of a quarter. Obviously whoever came up with THAT little test to determine the difference between fine and course doesn't have a clue! Laughing

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I wash my hair every second - third day (try to wait for third day). I know that grosses some people out but It's much healthier that way. I don't have oily hair though at all. I will wash it sooner if I have a really heavy duty, sweaty work out but I try to time those with hair washing day. Laughing
The Hana sounds great - really does. I like anything that works toward keeping the hair healthy.
How often do you iron? Does it keep your hair healthier?

It sounds rather counter-intuitive, but I'm hoping the flat iron WILL keep it healthier by smoothing the cuticle and locking moisture INSIDE. That contributed to my decision to get the Hana Elite... didn't want to have to use pressure, snag, or repeat more than 2 passes to accomplish this.

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
my natural hairdresser actually taught me to go a looooong time without washing my hair (he washed his long hair only once every 2 weeks) and i wash mine once every week..but sometimes don't need to for even longer than that..up to two weeks! (the idea is that the less you wash your hair the less you nedd to..don't remember the theory behind this now..but it does work for me.

anyway, i am definetely purchasing a flat iron in the next few days (never used one before) and am interested in the hana elite as well as a few others.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi - I flat iron after washing/drying and then on the in-between days I flat iron selectively (like just the areas that need it for "behaving" or to be put into place if that makes sense. My flat iron is a CHI.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
my natural hairdresser actually taught me to go a looooong time without washing my hair (he washed his long hair only once every 2 weeks) and i wash mine once every week..but sometimes don't need to for even longer than that..up to two weeks! (the idea is that the less you wash your hair the less you nedd to..don't remember the theory behind this now..but it does work for me.

anyway, i am definetely purchasing a flat iron in the next few days (never used one before) and am interested in the hana elite as well as a few others.

Hi jasminerosey, does this mean 2 weeks without wetting hair and conditioning it during the shower, or does this mean 2 weeks without using any shampoo product?

2 weeks? I've heard of conditioner only washing and tried it for a month, but honestly as much jojoba oil, argan oil and leavein conditioners as I use, I like removing this more frequently but what works for one person won't necessarily suit another.

Update: Just realized Mikkoso included a FULL 6 oz. bottle of the Hana Shine shield with this kit... It was only supposed to be 2 oz? Not sure if this was an intentional upgrade or not, but I'm very impressed with the additional goodies received in this package.

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
This link is an image of the mini flat iron included in the kit. I'll give this to one of my nieces. Smile
[url]
http://www.misikko.com/hana-blue-mini-iron.html[/url]

Ingredients for the Shine Shield aren't on the website, which kinda bugged me. Typing them below, all typos are mine. Very Happy --- nothing amazing, note that jojoba is near the last ingredient. I use jojoba as a leavein anyway, I'm guessing it's the silicones protecting from the heat? I don't know anything about this subject, any ideas which ingredients actually provide protection from heat styling?

Ingredients:
Cytopentasiloxane
dimenthiconal
cyclomethicone
phenyl trimethicone
ethylhexl
methoxcinnamate
phenoxethanol
panthenol
jojoba oil
fragrancec.

Nope, nothing remotely organic about this product by hair is feeling soft. Still need to figure out how to use this correctly so I don't wind up with the "dirty hair" effect.

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Hi - I flat iron after washing/drying and then on the in-between days I flat iron selectively (like just the areas that need it for "behaving" or to be put into place if that makes sense. My flat iron is a CHI.

Hi, what kind of thermal styling products do you use?

kikiw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
I use Sedu flat iron with Alterna caviar anti-aging styling tonic. This tonic is a medium hold setting spray for styles that require a blow dryer, hot rollers or flat irons. It can protect color but I felt a little sticky when running a comb through the hair.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:26 am      Reply with quote
athena,
usually it's only 1 week between washings for me...but if my hair looks/feels good..and depending on the time of year/temp/humidity..it can stretch to 2 weeks..i was taught almost 30 years by my natural hairdresser..that the less you wash your hair the healthier it is (as long as it's looking/feeling good)..my current hairdresser is a student of his..a woman with truly beautiful waistlong hair who also washes only once a week.

i use no shampoo or conditioner betweem washings.. but use water as i feel like.

... there is also a daily scalp massage technique that's involved.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:29 am      Reply with quote
so...is it necessary to use a product to stop hair from being damaged by the flat iron..which would be problemetic for me as i us truly natural products (no lab created/refined)ingredients.

AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:39 am      Reply with quote
I used the Sedu flat iron but returned it as it over-straightened, if that makes sense!
I have a h2Pro that is going out and I am trying to find a new one. Bought a Chi off Craigs List and it was a fake (metal instead of ceramic) and it broke some hair.
Thanks for the review, I will look at this one for sure. I have very curly hair if I don't dry and straighten it every day. I also have to use the highest heat or it won't straighten,
I use the Living Proof No Frizz, but you have to use a pretty big glob of it, so it becomes pricey to use every day. I have also used a teeny bit of Jojoba oil on my palms and ran it over after the dryer and before the flat iron and that works to. Right now I am using Aveda spray for heat styling and that does okay.
I got a sample of the Ouidad
Climate Control® Heat & Humidity Gel from Sephora and I love that stuff with my flat iron. I think I will get the full sized when I run out of the Aveda next.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
good to know, Annie, that you've successfully used jojoba oilto protect your hair from potential damage from flat irons.

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Jamsinerosey - I've used Sea Kelp Biofirment after washing and left it in and flat ironed after my hair was dry without using any other product. I'll have to try the jojoba. hmmm. I"m not a huge fan of styling sprays, etc.

To answer the question about the more you wash, the more you need to wash - I think this is it:

When we wash our hair Our bodies "feedback" mechanism tells itself that there is no oil and it will tend to step up production to get where it wants to be. Our body naturally chooses to stabilize to it's own healthy set point (called homeostasis).
When we wash our hair less, the feedback mechanism can relax a little and stops producing so much oil. Doesn't mean the oil will stop coming but stops overdoing it as it adjusts.
I hope that makes sense.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
I have been eyeing up that iron, but hard to purchase in Canada.
I have many straighteners, always on the quest for the newest and better models.
My current favourite is one by Lineapro, purchased it at Holt's.

Any opionions on Chi AutoDigital Ceramic Hairstyling Iron? I believe my hairdresser uses it in her salon. I saw it mentioned in the new Elevate magazine. (a beauty and health magazine here in Canada). Very Happy
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets,
that's great to know also, about using the sea kelp bioferment fro flat iron protection, especially since i have a supply that i'm not currently using for skincare..

but what does the SKB it do to the texture/feelof your hair?

and, yes, that does make sense about homeostasis.

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey, sister sweets. Now the fewer washings make more sense. As long as water and massage is involved... Laughing I guess I assumed that when some women mention they don't wash their hair except once a week, that they didn't treat it to water and conditioning more than once a week. That prospect induces the eeeww! factor!

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I used the Sedu flat iron but returned it as it over-straightened, if that makes sense!
I have a h2Pro that is going out and I am trying to find a new one. Bought a Chi off Craigs List and it was a fake (metal instead of ceramic) and it broke some hair.
Thanks for the review, I will look at this one for sure. I have very curly hair if I don't dry and straighten it every day. I also have to use the highest heat or it won't straighten,
I use the Living Proof No Frizz, but you have to use a pretty big glob of it, so it becomes pricey to use every day. I have also used a teeny bit of Jojoba oil on my palms and ran it over after the dryer and before the flat iron and that works to. Right now I am using Aveda spray for heat styling and that does okay.
I got a sample of the Ouidad
Climate Control® Heat & Humidity Gel from Sephora and I love that stuff with my flat iron. I think I will get the full sized when I run out of the Aveda next.

Annie, what does over straightening mean? I tried Living proof and didn't care for it too much. Didn't do that much for frizz and way too expensive for the amount of product you have to use.

I use a quarter size of jojoba oil on wet hair as a leave in, along with a smaller amount of argan oil. I have't tried applying jojoba oil right before ironing, however. Wouldn't that burn your hair, once such high heat makes contact with the oil, or do you let it penetrate first?

The Ouidad line looks very interesting... Isn't the founder a curly girl? I'll have to pick up a sample next time I hit Sephora... I'd like to find a thermal styling potion with better ingredients than the Hana Shine shield.

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
lipglossdoll wrote:
I have been eyeing up that iron, but hard to purchase in Canada.
I have many straighteners, always on the quest for the newest and better models.
My current favourite is one by Lineapro, purchased it at Holt's.

Any opionions on Chi AutoDigital Ceramic Hairstyling Iron? I believe my hairdresser uses it in her salon. I saw it mentioned in the new Elevate magazine. (a beauty and health magazine here in Canada). Very Happy
I checked the shipping section on Misikko, they do ship to Canada but it looks like you have to order by phone.

I actually called and spoke to someone before I placed my order. The gentleman I spoke to was very helpful and spent some time discussing my concerns and needs. He even suggested that the Hana Elite may be overkill for my type of curl, that the Hana pro would probably work until I told him I wanted super shine and only 1-2 passes. Then when I asked about whether I should get the 1.5" instead of the 1" Elite, he saved me $$ but pointing me to the 1". The 1.5" would be more suitable for African American hair and overkill for Caucasian curls.

I'm glad I listened to him... As I was reaching behind the back to straighten, occurred to me that the 1.5" would have been a little more difficult for me to use. I was worried about losing maneuverability since by skill level is minimal.

Very Happy

kikiw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
Annie R, what does over-straightened mean? I use Sedu, it works well on me. Sometimes, I use it to make curls. After using it, my hair is very shining.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |