Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Favorite Recipe for C+E+Ferulic Serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Since I'm running low on my Skinceuticals C+E+Ferulic serum, I wanted to start getting the extra ingredients I need to make my own. Much to my surprise, there are several recipes for this. So, to Kassy and those that have tried most of these, which is your preferred version?

Kassy's 15% C, E + Ferulic Acid (FA) Serum: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=417200#417200

Kassy's 15% C, E + Ferulic Acid (FA) with HA Serum, version A (3/24/09): http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=446865#446865

Kassy's 15% C, E + Ferulic Acid (FA) with HA Serum, version B (6/23/09): http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=467039#467039

Kassy's 15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=474653#474653

Kassy's 18% Vitamin C/E/FA/Niacinamide/Retinyl Palmitate Serum: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=518178#518178

TIA! Very Happy
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Since I'm running low on my Skinceuticals C+E+Ferulic serum, I wanted to start getting the extra ingredients I need to make my own. Much to my surprise, there are several recipes for this. So, to Kassy and those that have tried most of these, which is your preferred version?

Kassy's 15% C, E + Ferulic Acid (FA) Serum: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=417200#417200

Kassy's 15% C, E + Ferulic Acid (FA) with HA Serum, version A (3/24/09): http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=446865#446865

Kassy's 15% C, E + Ferulic Acid (FA) with HA Serum, version B (6/23/09): http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=467039#467039

Kassy's 15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=474653#474653

Kassy's 18% Vitamin C/E/FA/Niacinamide/Retinyl Palmitate Serum: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=518178#518178

TIA! Very Happy

Hi Tam,

Sad but true, but I strongly doubt that the 100 or so who PM + email me regularly will feel comfortable enough to share their 'raves' here.. Many share with me that they "can't understand the drama and attacks, and are actually afraid to post any questions on the forum" and prefer to correspond with me through PM's. (That's a shame, because many things I've been sharing in private could really benefit those who are interested in DIY.) With that said, I would tell you that the majority of raves are for this one, (and that's the consensus for EDS and 3 other forums);

I would also offer that you check out the last one I posted here, which is new, and already I've had positive feedback. Pg 49 I think;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30503

For the recipe that includes 'niacinamide', I didn't get as far as posting the exact base I used, because frankly the onslaught I was met with on day 1 of posting the active portion, left me little incentive to share further here at EDS. I did share the entire recipe with a few folks here and elsewhere privately, and also I have been using this formula myself. So far we are all enjoying it. For a totally unbiased view, of someone who makes no secret of not being a "kassy groupie", perhaps 'Rileygirl' will share her thoughts with you, as I sent her a 1oz sample to try. (I certainly can't vouch for exactly how she used it though, and haven't heard from her personally since then.)

The last thing I would say is this. I'm glad that you have started this thread, and the response you get regarding *my* DIY recipe's personally, will speak volumes to me, and help me make the decision whether to continue on sharing/posting DIY recipe's, or to bow out and hope that someone else steps in. (I strongly doubt anybody will though, unless they are buddy-buddy with those who so obviously despise me... Laughing ) Shouldn't we have left all this nonsense behind in 7th grade? Rolling Eyes

You can PM me if you want the 'niacinamide' recipe, but I respectfully request that you keep it confidential.

ETA: I should clarify my request for confidentiality re the niacinamide recipe... It's because I'm tired of answering disingenuous questions on the forum, and the answers are then not acknowledged by the inquisitioner's, unless of course, fault of doubt can be cast on my answer.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi tam
This is my favorite "Kassy's" recipe:
Quote:
15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid (edit: now we use 1/8 tsp)
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka or Witch Hazel (vodka is best and purest though.)

Everyone without exception that I make this for has told me what a huge difference it has made for her/his skin. People with all different types of skin are using it and love it. I've used it ever since I found it, what? a year or so ago, and would not stop using it for anything. I've tried stopping it and fiddling around with other programs, but always come back to it for good reason: because it WORKS like nothing else can. Kudos to Kassy for her diligence in perfecting it for us and for generously sharing it with us FREE OF CHARGE!!!!

It *must* be popular - now Lotioncrafter carries all the ingredients after many of us have pleaded with them to do so, so that we can order it all from one site. (thanks Jen!!)

this stuff!!! Thanks Kassy!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I love Kassy's recipes, and as noted in my sig, use her c-serum religiously. At this point, because I'm a total mixing novice, I've stuck with the simplest of her concoctions: glycerin, distilled water and l-ascorbic acid. When I need to reorder my ascorbic acid, I will be trying my hand at the 15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba mix. Smile
havana8

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I would also offer that you check out the last one I posted here, which is new, and already I've had positive feedback. Pg 49 I think;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30503

Kassy, your latest and greatest is in the index as:

Kassy's 15% Vitamin C Serum (3/18/10): http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=526300#526300
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've used this one many times:
Kassy's 15% C, E + Ferulic Acid (FA) with HA Serum, version B (6/23/09):
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=467039#467039

It works well for me and lasts 6-8 weeks. I've shared it with a few other people who also love it.

I also want to try the joboja version in the future.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all and an especially big THANKS to Kassy! Looks like the jojoba is the way to go and where I'll start. I just got quite a few samples of the NIA 24 line so I'll hold off on the niacinimide C serum for now.

Kassy I'm sorry to hear of all the drama that's gone on. I actually took about a 2 year absence from EDS partly because of all of the drama back then. I'm sad to see it hasn't changed much. I guess with such a diverse group of people from all over the world all trying to be understood solely through text it's bound to happen. Not to mention all of the spamming that goes on in between! I'll definitely PM you when I get ready for the other recipe.

By the way, what in the world is the vodka for? Shock Laughing
Parsnip
5% products discount

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
I have made the jojoba one and am loving it. I have ignored my skin all of my life and just happened upon this forum. The reason I became addicted and kept reading was because of Kassy's helpful posts through the years to many of you. I told her in a PM that she was my Skin Hero! I am so grateful for all of the past work that she and many of you have given to others. In just two weeks, my daughters are wanting to know "exactly" what I am doing to my skin because it is already looking better. I have years of reading to do here and lots of mistakes to make. Kassy don't you leave me in this jungle...I want to learn all about this mixing stuff!!
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:20 am      Reply with quote
Kassy it would be an extremely sad day if you let a couple of people with a problem with you, scare you away from this forum. A sad day for so many here. You've shared so much of your personal knowledge with us. You've put so much effort into learning and experimenting with these recipes, and then selflessly sharing those recipes that have worked well for you with the rest of us. And I personally want to thank you for helping me with DIY serums and your AALS hints.
And if this makes me a 'Kassy groupie', then so be it.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:42 am      Reply with quote
What I like about Kassy's recipes is that they are VERY DETAILED. Even a complete novice like me can follow them with no problem. I honestly think you ought to compile them and all your other tips and sell them as an ebook, Kassy. I'd love to have a handy reference where everything is in one place.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:42 am      Reply with quote
My most favorite Kassy's Cserum is this one:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=455973&highlight=#455973

I have started using this great serum since July 2009 and definitely noticed improvement of my skin in terms of better skin tone and skin firmness.

That said, I would love to try the recipe with jojoba oil but have to wait until the coming winter as I live in Asia, very humid almost all year round. I did not make the serum with jojoba oil last winter because my skin was very sensitive and burning after nightly use of Retin-A.

Now I get used to Retin-A and can reap the benefits of Kassy's C serum Smile

I take my hat off to you, Kassy!
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:40 am      Reply with quote
I forgot to mention one important thing / reason why I like Kassy's C Serum:

I make 1 oz serum each time and normally use it up in 5-6 weeks.

Like many people, I did worry about if it would become oxidized (even when I used up my first bottle) as it did not contain any chemical preservative.

Kassy has ensured that she never finds it oxidized.

In order to verify if it was the case, when I finished whipping the 2nd bottle; I put 2-3 drops on a white ceramic cup and left it overnight.

The next morning, those few drops dried up and turned to white residue, NOT yellow.

Hours later (might be another 12-15 hours), the residue then turned to a bit yellowish.

Given the improvement of my skin, preservative free recipe, stable and simple formulation, I give it a thumps-up!

Hey, last but not least; it is only at a fraction of the cost of Skinceuticals' yellowish + oxizdized??? CE Ferulic serum.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Like Parsnip, I am really addicted to this forum because there are a variety of opinions and a ton of great information. I come back everyday because I know I am going to learn something.

Kassy, please continue to post on this forum. So many of us appreciate what you do.

Emily

Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy,

I said it then and I will repeat it with even more appreciation and gratitude than before! I know the FOK (friends of Kassy) can PM you, but we'll all benefit more if you hang in there with us! Pleeeeeeez. This is what I said then:

Zoftig wrote:
Kassy,

I would love to share a recipe with you that I have concocted but the only ones I have personally made are yours. I have accepted these knowing that you research all the ingredients, put them in proper percentages, and then test them for considerable amounts of time before posting them.

I know you love to share them (over a hundred) and generously answered the more than hundreds of questions about each of the formulations. Of your 2971 posts I would venture most were answering the very same questions over and over again.

You have stated (early on) that you are not an expert and that you would love the sharing to be reciprocal so that it would also be a learning experience for you.

I could share some things I copied from other sites but I know that what you are really asking for are our experiments and results (good or bad) and feedback on how yours is affecting us. I've certainly not been of help there. Actually, the only thing I've shared is how I managed to bugger up one of your own recipes. Very Happy

I know we all appreciate you but I don't think we express it often enough. We just pick your brain. Sorry....

With gratitude and affection,
Jan
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Count me in! - I just made the NEW C recipe today for me and the Boyfriend who is also a Kassy fan!

Toby pm'd me today also telling me how much she LOVES the C serum I sent her (a previous Kassy recipe). Fans abound. Go Kassy Go.

I'm one of those who is going to make the niacinimide recipe when I get the ingredients around.

Tamgirl - I've been here almost three years and I've never witnessed drama and trouble as has emerged in the last 6 months... And getting worse -Sad, sad, sad. A select few seem to target the posters who actually have things of value to share and do so with a *gang up* mentality and also very sneaky which makes them hard to catch. Kassy of course was one of the first targets. Now there are others. It's very discouraging.

Summer2004 I really liked your experiment testing the C serum. Thanks for sharing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets sent me one of Kassy's recipes and I was so excited to try it. My life is on the fast track to say the least and the first day I tried it I stayed so involved at work I didn't even look in the mirror that day. The second day of use, I noticed my face felt tightening up....in a good way and I looked in the mirror and thought wow I am having a good skin day and went on about my buisness. Day three, looked in the mirror and thought, good grief what is this new look I am seeing and then it dawned on me Idea about using Kassy's recipe!!No wonder this forum has been rocking about these recipes for several years....boy am I behind!! Well I am going to make up for loss time and get with this program...Gosh Kassy have I had to learn everything the hard way???????Tons of time with the wrong lights until I saw the light and got the Lighstim....and now just finding out how great these recipes are!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Oh well lets just boogie on down with these recipesImage

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Yay - A boogie dance for Kassy....

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:02 am      Reply with quote
sistersweets - I think the drama was probably before your time then (I'm not good at recalling dates!). Essentially there were two groups against each other and many of them got completely banned from the board. As a results, the two groups each started their own boards and had followings for quite some time (perhaps still). It got VERY verbally abusive and accusatory.

It was a similar situation to Kassy's also where one person was so kind to share their experiments with pics and such and a group sort of ganged up on her and thus the two groups emerged. The other part was that one group was promoting another member's homemade line which she was profiting on. Fingers started pointing both ways and well, the rest is history. Hopefully the current situation won't get to that point again. For a long time this board was almost completely silent because all of the big posters were gone. I took a long break myself because I just don't need that kind of drama in my life! Wink
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all for the kind words and the vote of confidence... Me's thinkin' you misunderstood exactly what I said though Laughing

[I'm glad that you have started this thread, and the response you get regarding *my* DIY recipe's personally, will speak volumes to me, and help me make the decision whether to continue on sharing/posting DIY recipe's, or to bow out and hope that someone else steps in.]

I was only questioning whether or not to continue posting recipes. Now that so many of you have let me know you are using and enjoying them, I have my answer... Very Happy

P.S. Great big thank you 's to all!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I just got my supplies so I'm off to make my first batch! Thanks again Kassy! Very Happy
Bermie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:52 am      Reply with quote
Oh I am so excited to try this!!

I don't know about the drama? I have been reading this forum for a few months now and posted a couple of times, but honestly there is so much to read and learn.

Thank you so much Kassy for sharing your knowledge with the likes of myself, who really thought I knew abit about skincare and have always been interested in looking after my skin, but I realise I really don't know anything!!!

I am really keen to try some DIY's! have never even thought of it before, so thanks again for inspiring me.. Very Happy

I have tried a sample of Skincueticals and loved it but I really can't afford it, so I will be looking forward to trying one of your 'receipes'!

I am in Melbourne, Australia, can I order everything I need from lotioncrafer?

thanks again Kassy Smile
Bermie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Just some questions please?

I had a look at the lotioncrafter site, has anyone in Australia bought from them, I am abit worried that there may be customs cost?

Is there somewhere in Australia I can order the ingredients from?

a really silly question but what excatly is L-AA?
also why type of Jojoja oil and Vit E oil do you use?

sorry to be a pain, but this is all abit confusing for me!

thanks in advance for any advice..xx
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Bermie wrote:
Just some questions please?

I had a look at the lotioncrafter site, has anyone in Australia bought from them, I am abit worried that there may be customs cost?

Is there somewhere in Australia I can order the ingredients from?

a really silly question but what excatly is L-AA?
also why type of Jojoja oil and Vit E oil do you use?

sorry to be a pain, but this is all abit confusing for me!

thanks in advance for any advice..xx

Hi Bermie -
LAA is L Ascorbic Acid - it is the water-soluble form of C - it is easily absorbed and considered to be the form which is likely to produce the best results... but also more easily oxidized (fragile in a sense). That is why we make small batches and use within a two month time frame. Also it can be refrigerated to possibly extend shelf life. Lotioncrafters sells a form of LAA which dissolves nicely in distilled water (other forms do not tend to dissolve as easily - that's why we like the Ltncrftrs).

For vitamin E try red palm oil. (That's what I'm going for next) but there are other options.
The jojoba I use I got from Vitacost - it is NOW brand jojoba.
I am in the US so I'm not sure about the customs information to Australia.

Good luck with this - I'm sure you'll love it.

5% products discount

Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
I love Kassy's C+E+FE +jojoba serum. I forgot to pack it for a recent trip and I truly think my face paid for it.

I was also thinking about a niacinamide potion. Good lord, not that I could make one myself. Kassy! Can you post it or PM it?

Don't stop posting your recipies, it would be a real shame and I need all the help I can get!

KK

Smile
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Kassie, I see that Skinceuticals now has one with Phloretin in it. Have you developed one for that yet?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |