Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Can iPhone Apps Treat Skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:41 am      Reply with quote
By Leslie Baumann, M.D. - Posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, 4:03 pm PDT

Wouldn't it be great if you could erase acne and wrinkles while chatting on the phone? Well, two new iPhone apps promise to do just that!

AcneApp and Atomic Red both harness the iPhone's light emitting diode (LED) screen to emit wavelengths that can benefit skin. The principle is the same as that behind the red and blue light therapy offered in your dermatologist's office--albeit on a much less powerful scale--which has been shown to kill acne-causing bacteria, reduce inflammation, and treat wrinkles by boosting collagen production.

AcneApp uses alternating pulses of blue and red light and is purported to have anti-aging in addition to pimple-fighting properties, while Atomic Red promises to ease muscle and joint pain as well as firm sagging skin (a third app, Atomic Blue, is intended to treat seasonal affective disorder).

While I think this is a genius idea, I doubt the iPhone is powerful enough to have much efficacy. But for $1.99 per app, it sure is worth a try!

These could be fun and perhaps slightly effective self-treatments for periods between in-office light treatments from a board certified dermatologist. Such treatments cost around $75 per visit, are painless, and require no downtime; in my experience, they are more effective as an acne treatment than for anti-aging (there are other lasers, such as the Pearl and Fraxel, that work far better on wrinkles and sagging skin). The number of treatments required will vary depending on severity of your acne.

Wishing you great skin!

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/15833/can-iphone-apps-treat-skin/
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:41 am      Reply with quote
I don't own a iphone but I thought if you do, you might want to check this out.
lunathefinal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds interesting but I doubt it would be effective~~ Rolling Eyes
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Huh... would this work for an iPod?

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
One of the 2 has been out a little while and PhotoQueen downloaded it conclusion was it's a waste of money. It's not a fortune but as an iPhone owner I just wouldn't waste the money on it. Smile JMHO

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Huh... would this work for an iPod?

I think it's only available on the iphone.
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
One of the 2 has been out a little while and PhotoQueen downloaded it conclusion was it's a waste of money. It's not a fortune but as an iPhone owner I just wouldn't waste the money on it. Smile JMHO

Yeah what will they come up with next? LOL
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

I don't know but I have a free flashlight app that can be set on red, blue ect. and I haven't been tempted to try it for skin care. It's handy if a storm hits and the power goes out, I can find the candles and lighter. LOL

5% products discount

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Surprised It sounds interesting but I just don't believe it. Any girl in physics can explain it?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
vinco wrote:
Surprised It sounds interesting but I just don't believe it. Any girl in physics can explain it?

Not in physics but I just don't see it putting out the strength of a professional LED device. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SkinCareJunkie wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

I don't know but I have a free flashlight app that can be set on red, blue ect. and I haven't been tempted to try it for skin care. It's handy if a storm hits and the power goes out, I can find the candles and lighter. LOL

Hey that's a good idea! I've used my cell phone as a light before. Very Happy
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:24 am      Reply with quote
LOL thats one Dr Schultz commented on in his LED's show at one point saying it was completely useless (which always makes me wonder as he's rubbished everything from facial exercise before) so its probably to be taken with a pinch of salt!
mark_pw

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:32 am      Reply with quote
How about the one called "SkinApp"? It is also an iPhone app. It provides more colour light sources for different skin treatment.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:08 am      Reply with quote
mark_pw wrote:
How about the one called "SkinApp"? It is also an iPhone app. It provides more colour light sources for different skin treatment.

Like I said I have a free flashlight app that also has a whole rainbow of colors and just the inconvenience to try and treat your face is silly. I don't think it's going to put out the needed power!

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:07 am      Reply with quote
It takes time to feel the light's effect. The skin tips in SkinApp are helpful.
mark_pw

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
I downloaded it. Turned it on. Chose one of the six light sources. I am treating my skin now. Very interesting and easy to use. Cool Cool Cool
mark_pw

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Just checked App Store. It is free for three days.
Y34963
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I just got it too. What the heck it is free and I am addicted to my IPhone
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Y34963 wrote:
I just got it too. What the heck it is free and I am addicted to my IPhone

I am honestly looking forward to every one's reviews after using this for a while. Smile
I can relate I have been addicted to my iPhone since I bought the crazy thing!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

Still think it is a waste of money - there is no power - it is just a toy - but kept me occupied for 10 minutes.

Good luck everyone.

PQ

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
You are probably right that it won't work but since it was free I thought I would give it a try. Something to do when sitting in an airport.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
PQ was the first to give it a try and yeah we had a bit of a laugh on another thread about how useful it was/not. But if it makes anyone happy and it's free WTH! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:
By Leslie Baumann, M.D. - Posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, 4:03 pm PDT

Wouldn't it be great if you could erase acne and wrinkles while chatting on the phone? Well, two new iPhone apps promise to do just that!

AcneApp and Atomic Red both harness the iPhone's light emitting diode (LED) screen to emit wavelengths that can benefit skin. The principle is the same as that behind the red and blue light therapy offered in your dermatologist's office--albeit on a much less powerful scale--which has been shown to kill acne-causing bacteria, reduce inflammation, and treat wrinkles by boosting collagen production.

AcneApp uses alternating pulses of blue and red light and is purported to have anti-aging in addition to pimple-fighting properties, while Atomic Red promises to ease muscle and joint pain as well as firm sagging skin (a third app, Atomic Blue, is intended to treat seasonal affective disorder).

While I think this is a genius idea, I doubt the iPhone is powerful enough to have much efficacy. But for $1.99 per app, it sure is worth a try!

These could be fun and perhaps slightly effective self-treatments for periods between in-office light treatments from a board certified dermatologist. Such treatments cost around $75 per visit, are painless, and require no downtime; in my experience, they are more effective as an acne treatment than for anti-aging (there are other lasers, such as the Pearl and Fraxel, that work far better on wrinkles and sagging skin). The number of treatments required will vary depending on severity of your acne.

Wishing you great skin!

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/15833/can-iphone-apps-treat-skin/

Alright then....I have an iPhone and I am going to check out both apps now....I haven't read the remaining posts, although I should do that....but I saw this and was like "oh my, is this for real!"

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
MentorAmy05
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
I can only find the "Atomic Red Pain Reliever" on my apps.

I did find the other, which is $1.99.....

BTW, I have that same flashlight as you (Red, blue, yellow) but if I need a flashlight, I normally just turn the phone on and that workd, so I don't have to find the app, Lol

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
MentorAmy05 wrote:
I can only find the "Atomic Red Pain Reliever" on my apps.

I did find the other, which is $1.99.....

BTW, I have that same flashlight as you (Red, blue, yellow) but if I need a flashlight, I normally just turn the phone on and that workd, so I don't have to find the app, Lol

Yeah the only big difference is you can set the flashlight to stay on until you turn it off, I let my back-light dim after a set time to save battery life. I really only use the flashlight app if I need to go find candles and lighter when one of our Florida storms knocks the power out. Smile

Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |