Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Foods that hydrate??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:27 am      Reply with quote
I know there are a lot of food/supplements experts on here - I was wondering if anyone knows what kinds of foods/drinks help to keep one hydrated?

I was reading the pointy gaunt face thread, and someone on there said that they really notice the gauntness when they are not drinking enough. I realised it was the same for me too!

I do however tend to drink lots and lots of water, but I'm always thirsty! I have been tested for diabetes, so its not that. Perhaps water just isnt being retained and used properly in my body, as it just seems to pass right through!

I was thinking maybe doing things like adding things like honey to my tea would help - as honey is a humectant. Can this work, or I am off the mark here?

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Do you eat a lot of salty foods?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
You might check the smoothie thread... it's a great way to get water from your fruits and veggies... Many that are dehydrated report hydration improvements...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
mowgli wrote:
I know there are a lot of food/supplements experts on here - I was wondering if anyone knows what kinds of foods/drinks help to keep one hydrated?

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but from the book "Feed Your Skin, Starve Your Wrinkles" here are the 13 foods they recommend that moisturize
Avocado, Borage oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil, olive oil, kelp, lentils, pumpkin, zucchini, tea, stevia, water, and watermelon.

Hope that helps some!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
chia gel is truly hydrating, as is coconut water and fennel tea.

http://www.mychiaseeds.com/Articles/ChiaSeedHydration.html

fennel is mucilaginous,

and coconut water has a lot of electrolytes.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

apols if this sounds like a stupid question, but is stevia not as harmful as sugar and other types of sweetners - as far as skin is concerned ?

many thanks

Jackie xx
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:19 am      Reply with quote
My understanding is Stevia isn't because it doesn't cause cross linking of the skin proteins, whereas the average sweetner does. Actually there are many who believe its good for the skin (but I've not tried it that way).

As for hydrating foods, didn't someone say here one time that short grain brown rice was one of the best hydrating foods. I tried cooking it one time, and the rice does bulk up - but I'm guessing its bulking up with water so your eating not only rice but water also, and rice is a slow burning food (like pasta). So would that help?

I love Aloe Vera Gel on my skin, always hydrates my face and is wonderful if I get sunburn!
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

apols if this sounds like a stupid question, but is stevia not as harmful as sugar and other types of sweetners - as far as skin is concerned ?

many thanks

Jackie xx
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 am      Reply with quote
I drink aloe vera juice internally, which I think is hydrating.

But aloe applied topically dries out my skin terribly--go figure! I cannot even use aloe-based creams.

--avalange

TheresaMary wrote:
My understanding is Stevia isn't because it doesn't cause cross linking of the skin proteins, whereas the average sweetner does. Actually there are many who believe its good for the skin (but I've not tried it that way).

As for hydrating foods, didn't someone say here one time that short grain brown rice was one of the best hydrating foods. I tried cooking it one time, and the rice does bulk up - but I'm guessing its bulking up with water so your eating not only rice but water also, and rice is a slow burning food (like pasta). So would that help?

I love Aloe Vera Gel on my skin, always hydrates my face and is wonderful if I get sunburn!
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

many thanks

Jackie xx

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
It probably sounds too simple, but I really find raw fruits and the juicy vegetables to be the best hydrators, hands down, followed by water alone next. Potassium-rich foods tend to help most people, too. But if I am super-thirsty, then I find I crave fresh fruit and vegetable juices even more than things like smoothies or water. Also, if you haven't tried it yet, coconut water from young thai coconuts is a dynamite hydrator, in part because it also is a little sweet and a little salty. HTH Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
I've never seen coconut water anywhere. Is it the same as coconut milk?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:

I read about coconut water in a health magazine not long ago and this is the brand they were recommending.

http://www.zico.com/
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:

The difference is Coconut Water is the liquid inside when you crack open the coconut, Coconut Milk is that same liquid with the juice from the meat pressed and the 2 mixed together.

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks rileygirl and DM. It sounds better than Gatorade. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
Thanks rileygirl and DM. It sounds better than Gatorade. Smile

LOL Definitely! I just saw yet another thing reported on the news, corn syrup they now believe that too much contributes to lung and colon cancer along with others. I think the more natural we can go the better! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:10 am      Reply with quote
thanks all - the chia gel and fennel tea sound interesting - someone else suggested fennel tea for this..

I don't eat too much salt, and don't add salt to my food apart from eggs, so I'm not sure why I'm always thirsty, but I'm sure that water is not being utilised properly in my body for some reason, as I have 59% water (from my fat scale) and it should be higher..

cm5597 - I know what you mean actually, when I eat fruits, I don't seem to have that same level of thirst as when I have water alone...food for thought! Laughing

Will give your suggestions a try, as well as trying maybe a green smoothie once a week - maybe upping my intake of fresh fruits and veggies will help

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
side note about coconut water:

If I were you, I would NOT get the bottled/packaged stuff. It tastes TERRIBLE,I almost gagged the first and only time I tried it. And the best thing about coconut water is its freshness and all of its enzymes are only available when you open the coconut. basically, a lot of its nutritional quality is lost after about 10 minutes.

also, the taste is SO amazing--it makes you feel euphoric--when you drink it right from a fresh young coconut. they are difficult to open; i usually try to tackle it from the bottom rather than from the domed top.

--avalange

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Marshmallow root herb (cut and shifted...from mountainrose herbs or pacific botanicals online..probably at whole foods griocery stores too in their bulk food section..but cost is about twice as much)..

makes a very gelantinous kind of infused tea..is cooing and moisturizing from the inside out.. also very very soothing for the digestive system..i mix it with otheringredients to avoid the intense gelantinous quality..and create something nicely thick and creamy instead (i'll add homemade almond milk and organic vanilla extract for example..or it could be added to fruit smoothies)

1/2 cup in a mason jar...or pot... add 4 cups of boilng water,let steep for at least 3 hours..drink cool.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |