Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Which mechanical dry-brush?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, so my next gadget (LOL) is going to be a mechanical dry brush type thing. Almost like the Clarisonic, but I dont want to spend the $150+ for it. I know there are 3 other similar devices available: The Pretika, The Nutrasonic, and Susan Lucci's "Youthful Essence". The Nutrasonic is about $105, and it looks almost like a carbon copy of the Clarisonic. The Pretika is about $40-50, and "Youthful Essence" is about $30-40.

I'd like to NOT spend an arm and a leg for this, but at the same time, sometimes when you buy cheaper products, the product doesn't work as well as the more expensive, nor last as long. I heard the Pretika has given consumers problems with the charging cradle, and that the "Youthful Essence" wasn't worth it, wasn't as effective, etc...

But I just wanted to get your guys' opinions. I was looking to order it this week, but I just cant make up my mind. I REALLY want the Clarisonic, but I am still unsure as to whether or not I'd like to spend that kind of money on it. Anyways, I appreciate any kind of advice! HELP ME DECIDE! If any of you guys have used any of these devices feel free to share your thoughts, concerns about them!
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe any of these are for dry brushing. I have the Clarisonic and have used just the brush not attached to the clarisonic as a dry brush to see how it would work. I much prefer the wooden bristle brush I bought at the drug store.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe any of these are for dry brushing. I have the Clarisonic and have used just the brush not attached to the clarisonic as a dry brush to see how it would work. I much prefer the wooden bristle brush I bought at the drug store.

I tend to agree on both counts, I would think the non-manual would be too strong for dry brushing.

I like my wooden ones best. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
We go through phases of likes for various toys around here and I have the clarisonic and loved it when I first got it. I bought my mother the Pretika , I have dry brushes,Susan Lucci's stuff, and recently got Carole Maggio's two facial mits. Having access to all these the clarisonic is very soft and is good for cleaning..not really good for dry burshing..neither is the Pretika stronger brush than the clarisonic but not the best for dry bushing. My vote now would be Carole Maggio's mits. I see more glow to the skin and thickening when I use them than anything else I have used, and they are reasonably priced! Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Really? Wow, I was under the impression that they'd be fine for dry-brushing especially if they offer a sensitive skin attachment. I also remember reading on this site that people have used the Clarisonic dry. I remember months back, I was at my friends house and she had Susan Lucci's device with a brush head on it, and I used it on my skin dry, and it felt great. The manual brush that I have actually seems to hurt more than the device did, and my manual one has all natural bristles!

Hmm, I still want one, even if I have to wet the brush. I feel like it's something that can really keep my skin clear and soft...
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:23 am      Reply with quote
No actually I think they would be one of the worst tools for dry brushing, even if they are a sensitive head.

With the clarisonic, I can't see the point of using it dry, as for the sonic waves to actually loosen debris from the skin, it needs to have a medium it acts through like water.

With Susan Lucci's device I bought it, and at first thought it was great but then someone told me about washing my face after using the stuff that comes with her brush, and whereas after using her products with it, my skin felt smooth, when I washed my face and her prodcuts undoubtedly came off, my skin was actually extremely dry and not smooth feeling at all, so I've often wondered if its just the products and not the brush.

When your using your manual brush, you don't need to press hard into the skin, its soft strokes. Thats something many of us do initially (my hands are definitely up at that) but then I learned on here, its supposed to be done gentley. So try easing up on the pressure your using.

Theresa
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all for responding.

I suppose it might be too rough to do dry-brushing. But I just ordered one online anyway, I'll give it a try with some cleanser and obviously water to see what it can do. I got the Clarisonic Mia. It only has 1 speed, and its a little smaller then the more expensive versions. It was about $130 including shipping. I feel good knowing that I spend 130 instead of 200 or more for the higher models. The Mia comes with a sensitive skin attachment, but I plan on buying the "delicate" brush, as that one is even softer! I like how they are water proof as well.

I did some research and a lot of people said the Clarisonic is also great for exfoliation, so I'm sure it will help my skin no matter what!

This is my last skin care device I am buying, seriously. I'm such a sucker.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
EC413,

I think the confusion is I have seen some post about using just the brush head portion (hand held) to gently dry brush, not using it with the sonic action and water. We'll see if this is actually your last gadget! Smile Joking, I think we are all suckers. LOL

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
DM, that would be me! lol I use just the brush portion, (not attached to the body of the Clarisonic, but hand-held), to dry brush. I've done that since last spring, and have only now graduated to my Bernard Jensen Complexion Brush with natural bristles. The natural bristle brush is much tougher on the skin than the Clarisonic brush-head. I had to really work up to it.

I dry brush twice daily, and I'll never stop. It's made such a difference in my skin - thicker, exfoliated, glowing. I find dry brushing very energizing and I think it helps remove toxins, although for true exfoliation, I use the new Diamond-Weave cloth by thankyoustan on eBay. He is the originator of microdermabrasion cloths. I love the Diamond-Weave; it's far more effective than a normal microderm cloth.

Toby, you have the thickest, most gorgeous skin in America. I cannot believe you can use the mitts with no problem. Laughing ~ JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
That would be you jj you devil you! LOL

I have a very soft brush that I purchased from DHC that I use, between that OCM and my little Iskin and the rounded microdermabrasion beads I get all that off of my skin and really see that glow we want! I just use what I already have. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:47 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
That would be you jj you devil you! LOL

I have a very soft brush that I purchased from DHC that I use, between that OCM and my little Iskin and the rounded microdermabrasion beads I get all that off of my skin and really see that glow we want! I just use what I already have. Smile

I am trying like heck to use up what I already have. I will be 90 when I'm finished. Laughing

ETA: What is Iskin?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:29 am      Reply with quote
jj,

I often wonder if I'll outlive all I already have! LOL Smile

This may explain the Iskin way better than I do!

http://www.sallybeauty.com/microdermabrasion/SBS-244000,default,pd.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:07 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
jj,

Oooooh, that looks like a great gadget & it's got excellent reviews. I think exfoliating is super important. I have the Susan Lucci Youthful Essence gadget and cream. Now I'll have to go and dig it out! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
We go through phases of likes for various toys around here and I have the clarisonic and loved it when I first got it. I bought my mother the Pretika , I have dry brushes,Susan Lucci's stuff, and recently got Carole Maggio's two facial mits. Having access to all these the clarisonic is very soft and is good for cleaning..not really good for dry burshing..neither is the Pretika stronger brush than the clarisonic but not the best for dry bushing. My vote now would be Carole Maggio's mits. I see more glow to the skin and thickening when I use them than anything else I have used, and they are reasonably priced! Wink

Yeah, I agree; Carole Maggio's face mitts are also my favorite. They are great! Smile I think I like them even a little better than Nancy's microfiber cloths for exfoliation, which I also really love.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 am      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
jj,

Oooooh, that looks like a great gadget & it's got excellent reviews. I think exfoliating is super important. I have the Susan Lucci Youthful Essence gadget and cream. Now I'll have to go and dig it out! Laughing

LOL Now I went and reminded you of a toy you already have, they are pretty much the same and I really love what it does for my skin! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

I really love what it does for my skin! Smile

DarkMoon, does Iskin help you to eliminate blackheads or reduce the size of pores?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:05 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine,

It keeps my pores very clear and gives my skin a lovely glow that is just amazing! The way you use it is daily for the first week and after just once-twice a week thereafter. (depends on your skin type) It also has 2 speeds for the same reason. I think it's a great value for the price, I have used it now for about 7 years, so it's well made. I also purchased each of my daughters their own and they adore this little gadget! Smile

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |