Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Have you heard of the Wonderbar? Supposedly helps melasma
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Here is the pic that I took before starting the WB...you can see the diffuse melasma on my cheeks, plus a couple of PIH spots from zits about a year ago (will they EVER leave?)

You can also see the color difference between my neck and my face, which drives me NUTS. I want my face to look like my neck!

5% products discount

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Not everyone has the same reaction at all. When I was talking about the brownish patches, I was responding directly to Skippie and the reference to the dry patches. The bar will do what it needs to do on YOUR skin. If you have more toxins, more toxins will come out in the form of breakouts. If you have more damage, then your skin will go through a stronger healing phase and you can get dryness, redness, peeling, brown patches....No matter WHAT you have, you will get through it with consistency and it is a process and you cannot expect results overnight. You have to be patient. We really should start to do what OBAGI does and tell people 6 weeks minimum before you can safely say you are adjusted to the product and some people even take a little longer. In response to the comment on the neck, I had the red lines on my neck and they turned brownish in color and eventually came off. The neck area is funny, though. It is one of the biggest hot spots for the healing crisis and it can look very bad while going through it. It also is my favorite area of my skin to show people because the results are that great. Some of you are going to go through it big time, but just remember that consistency is key and you can always email me and I'll let you know if what you are experiencing is normal.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:53 am      Reply with quote
wonderbar wrote:
The bar will do what it needs to do on YOUR skin. If you have more toxins, more toxins will come out in the form of breakouts. If you have more damage, then your skin will go through a stronger healing phase and you can get dryness, redness, peeling, brown patches....No matter WHAT you have, you will get through it with consistency and it is a process and you cannot expect results overnight. You have to be patient. We really should start to do what OBAGI does and tell people 6 weeks minimum before you can safely say you are adjusted to the product and some people even take a little longer. In response to the comment on the neck, I had the red lines on my neck and they turned brownish in color and eventually came off. The neck area is funny, though. It is one of the biggest hot spots for the healing crisis and it can look very bad while going through it. It also is my favorite area of my skin to show people because the results are that great. Some of you are going to go through it big time, but just remember that consistency is key and you can always email me and I'll let you know if what you are experiencing is normal.

VERY interesting...I thought my neck was totally fine, and it is reacting worse than my face!

Can you clue us into some of the science behind the product? At this point, all we really know is 1) algae is healing and 2) clay is detoxifying. But HOW does this actually work...that's the kind of info many of us really want!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Wonderbar. That makes sense. I used Obagi, as well, so I know what you are saying with the 6 weeks!

Bethany, I can tell you have been vigilant avoiding sun. Your skin is so smooth looking! And, where are wrinkles on our neck missy? Very Happy

ETA: I agree with Bethany. More scientific info would be Great to hear from Wonderbar!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Bethany, I can tell you have been vigilant avoiding sun. Your skin is so smooth looking! And, where are wrinkles on our neck missy? Very Happy

Ask and you shall receive! Very Happy These are my neck rings from years of looking down at my keyboard to type, and reading in bed. Embarassed They are not usually red though, thank goodness!

But if we could get my face to look like my neck (minus the red lines), I would be ecstatic.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany, I would kill to have your neck lines! Mine are definitely worse. Sorry if I missed this but how long are you leaving the Wonderbar on your neck area?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Bethany, I would kill to have your neck lines! Mine are definitely worse. Sorry if I missed this but how long are you leaving the Wonderbar on your neck area?

I always lose track of time, but 20 mins at most.

And keep in mind that I gave up the sun 20 years ago, so I am sure that definitely helped the skin preservation (one of the few things I did correctly in my youth AND old age Laughing )

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Here's an entertaining thread on the Wonderbar over at skincarerx.com...it reads like a soap opera with women fighting at the end, blaming each other for pushing/and or selling the Wonderbar. No virtual hair pulling yet, darn it. And the best part was when they said that WE here at EDS were "talking smack" about the wonderbar, lol.

On to the meaningful info...There are some mixed results...some good (skin texture, smaller pores, possibly decreased melasma in one case), some bad (spots got worse/darker).

Here is a set of pics from Teresa over there after 6 weeks of usage:
http://picasaweb.google.com/berrytruck427/Before6WeeksAfterWonderbar?authkey=Gv1sRgCMq7iJK6oOTXeg&feat=email#

They do cross post between their forum and ours, so be sure to say HI to them! Laughing

http://skincarerx.com/phorum/read.php?3,64450,page=1

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a little tidbit I picked up while researching the how and why of algae/clay bars...

Obviously the clay is for the presumed "detox," but the "micro-algae" is apparently designed to increase the amount of moisture in the skin.

Fron what I have read thus far, it sounds like the clay may be pulling out some impurities, but it is primarily drying out the skin and expediting skin renewal via exfoliation of the top layer. And as we have seen with any kind of exfoliation (think Retin-A), zits deeper under the skin do rise to the top and you go through a "worse before better" phase.

Also the recommendation to use no more moisturizer than what is needed probably means that the skin barrier is repaired to some degree. But that can happen any time that you stop using moisturizers that overwet the skin barrier, ultimately causing more moisture to escape via evaporation.

This sounds very similar to the 302 goal of breaking the dependence of your skin on various products, and ultimately it will begin retaining more moisture on it's own.

Ok...I've talked enough smack for now. Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany, You actually have very lovely skin. Very Happy

I can see that you look to be on the more sensitive side. Try leaving WB on for only 5 mins. That is what I have been doing and so far so good.

3 little whiteheads have popped up in the last few days, but they were harmless. I am still using my CPs,Emu Oil, Retin-A (twice/week) and Hydroxys daily. I just keep the Retin-A and Hydroxys away from WB.

I am using WB solely for the purifying effect. That is all that I am after. Using it more to enhance my routine with my other products. So I may never be a spokesperson for WB, but so far I like what it is doing for my skin.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
http://picasaweb.google.com/berrytruck427/Before6WeeksAfterWonderbar?authkey=Gv1sRgCMq7iJK6oOTXeg&feat=email#

The only difference that I can see in the above photos is a difference in colour from the lighting used.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
I'd like to see more discussion on the issue of anti-aging. I'm informed by scientific data that using Copper Peptides and Retin-A that I am doing something to stimulate the growth of collagen and elastin. Well, if I ditch those products to use the Wonderbar am I simply opting for detox and exfoliation without the anti-aging benefits?

Also - has anyone seen any lifting?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
bethany wrote:

The only difference that I can see in the above photos is a difference in colour from the lighting used.

Agree, that was the only difference I noted, as well.
Star Model
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I'd like to see more discussion on the issue of anti-aging. I'm informed by scientific data that using Copper Peptides and Retin-A that I am doing something to stimulate the growth of collagen and elastin. Well, if I ditch those products to use the Wonderbar am I simply opting for detox and exfoliation without the anti-aging benefits?

Impossible Keliu, Can't do any of that! That is precisely why I am using it as a purifier to complement my "powerhouses".

Maybe the 20 year olds will benefit as an "All-In-One", but that is just not good enough when it comes to Anti-Aging.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany,

I have red neck lines, too, on the back of my neck where I have major sun damage. If the wonderbar will help with that damage, I'd be in heaven. Your neck looks great, BTW.

I'm interested in any anti-aging aspect, too, Keliu. I feel tight, but I don't see any wrinkles, fine lines or sagging getting any better. If anything, my wrinkles look worse. My lip lines which were fading are back with a vengeance.
wonderbar
5% products discount

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
I have to say, as a user, not a rep, that I am 42 and only using the Wonderbar. I've seen firming, I don't know about "lifting". My mom is 67, she uses WB with Oil of Olay Regenerist line and is more than pleased, but she didn't start using all that until she was adjusted to the bar. (and she didn't tell me she was using all that for fear of getting yelled at!)
I used retin-a and I know it's supposed to be the end-all, be-all, and I don't disagree with that necessarily, but for me, I like the Wonderbar better on my skin for a few reasons: I'm less red, my skin is thicker, my skin is balanced, my pores are almost invisible and it's less expensive. I am not saying retin-a is not good, it obviously is, I'm strictly talking about my own personal results. I used retin-a when I was on OBAGI..
wonderbar
5% products discount

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie,
your wrinkles will look worse because the skin is healing and so it's going to get tight, look more wrinkly, and feel dry until you are adjusted...just use some moisturizer that is plain if you are uncomfortable. Also, you won't see any improvement in sagging, wrinkles, or fine lines until you have used it consistently for several weeks. We don't get wrinkles and sagging overnight, and we don't fix it overnight either...unless you get a facelift! The Wonderbar does not work miracles (even though some people claim it does:?), it's simply a product that heals and detoxifies your skin, resulting in many benefits, as you will see if you stick with it.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Star Model wrote:
Bethany, You actually have very lovely skin. Very Happy

I can see that you look to be on the more sensitive side. Try leaving WB on for only 5 mins. That is what I have been doing and so far so good.

Skippie wrote:
Bethany,

I have red neck lines, too, on the back of my neck where I have major sun damage. If the wonderbar will help with that damage, I'd be in heaven. Your neck looks great, BTW.

Thanks Star and Skippie...I am going to keep on using it, but make sure that I limit myself to 5 mins (especially on my neck).

BTW, I started peeling around the corners of my nose today.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Star Model wrote:
I am still using my CPs,Emu Oil, Retin-A (twice/week) and Hydroxys daily. I just keep the Retin-A and Hydroxys away from WB.

I am using WB solely for the purifying effect. That is all that I am after. Using it more to enhance my routine with my other products. So I may never be a spokesperson for WB, but so far I like what it is doing for my skin.

Star Model wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Impossible Keliu, Can't do any of that! That is precisely why I am using it as a purifier to complement my "powerhouses".

Maybe the 20 year olds will benefit as an "All-In-One", but that is just not good enough when it comes to Anti-Aging.

I am going to have to agree with Star Model here. If there were real benefits from an anti-aging standpoint there would be clinicals to prove them (and there are not).

Now that I think I understand how the bar works from a dehydration/exfoliation/skin barrier repair/hydration standpoint (and have not been corrected otherwise), I will keep using it purely from a detox/cleansing standpoint because I can certainly stand to get rid of a few blackheads! Very Happy

I think the skin barrier repair and the ability to clear up troubled skin is a HUGE win for many people, and a definite audience will greatly benefit from that. But I have no grand illusions that it can really do anything beyond that...and any lifting, firming, etc. is really a result of the increased hydration from skin barrier repair.

However, I limit myself to using moisturizing products that repair/protect the skin barrier (Nia24 and SAS ELS) so I should be in good shape from that standpoint already. And I don't have acne issues, so I can't see any reason to force myself to use only the WB for 6 weeks.

At this point, I am going to keep using the product once a day, and add my topicals back in (at my own risk of course!). If I don't see any "incompatibilities" with my topicals, I plan on buying another bar and alternating with my 302 F&BB.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I agree with you here Keliu. I'm going to keep an eye on the reviews for a while. Had a horrible time with the 302 products for a long trial period, so I don't need to do that again (even though my skin might do nicely with a 'detox' type product)

bethany
Your neck looks very young. When you said you stopped laying in the sun 20 years ago - you must've been a 'tween'. That's a young lookin' neck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
bethany
Your neck looks very young. When you said you stopped laying in the sun 20 years ago - you must've been a 'tween'. That's a young lookin' neck!

Nope...I was 23, and am 43 now. Too bad the rest of me doesn't look like my neck! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I've got some uglies going on, pimples, small cyst, some weird patches and dry & flakiness around my lips that occurred this morning.

Not looking so hot and I got the eye doctor tonight so I can't stay home and hide, oh well. Guess better now than later but I really do like the WB, my blackheads are so much better and my pores look smaller too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:49 am      Reply with quote
WhiteWolf wrote:
I've got some uglies going on, pimples, small cyst, some weird patches and dry & flakiness around my lips that occurred this morning.

Not looking so hot and I got the eye doctor tonight so I can't stay home and hide, oh well. Guess better now than later but I really do like the WB, my blackheads are so much better and my pores look smaller too.

Thanks for the update WhiteWolf, I am sure you look worse to yourself than anyone else. Smile

It appears that this is doing something good for all trying it so far. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Whitewolf, are you using just the bar or are you using your normal products along with it?

I actually am seeing a lightening of my age spot on my left cheek (nothing on my right cheek so far). I had to double check this morning, but it is almost gone. Shock
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 am      Reply with quote
I've been only using the bar but today just some mild moisturizer on the dry patches. I rather be make-up free right now. However, I did wear makeup on Saturday because it was my birthday, so we went shopping and out to eat. I've always had problems with occasional acne flare ups though, so looks like the WB is just bringing things up that have been deep down. I'm sure it'll be fine in a few days. Smile

Oh, haven't noticed if any age spots have lightened, will look later on.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |