Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Low on iron
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have a question and hoping to get your help. If you have very low iron, what affects does it have on your skin?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I have a question and hoping to get your help. If you have very low iron, what affects does it have on your skin?

Pale skin and many health concerns!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/iron-deficiency-anemia/DS00323/DSECTION=symptoms

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon, I like that website. I don't think I look paler, but it is something to keep my eye out for.

Thank you for the attachment. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
DarkMoon, I like that website. I don't think I look paler, but it is something to keep my eye out for.

Glad it helped, you should try and get your iron levels up! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Ugh..thanks for reminding me that I am suppose to start taking an iron supplement. I am not anemeic YET, but close.

Amy recommendations on brands?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Ugh..thanks for reminding me that I am suppose to start taking an iron supplement. I am not anemeic YET, but close.

I wish I could help, but even pregnant my levels were so high I never in my life took an iron supplement! I had to get special prenatals without iron. Smile You knew I was weird right? LOL

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
bethany wrote:

I wish I could help, but even pregnant my levels were so high I never in my life took an iron supplement! I had to get special prenatals without iron. Smile You knew I was weird right? LOL

You're too high, and I'm too low! Maybe that's why you had 4 kids and I had zero, lol...we don't need more unhealthy little monsters running around! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

Just an FYI...I am not having any skin issues, but I am VERY tired and that is often caused by iron deficiency.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

As long as you have not crossed the line into 'anemia', a good daily supplement should suffice. Look for a multi-vitamin which also contains vitamins A + B complex (which help support iron absorption)... On the other hand, if you can find one with little or no zinc + vitamin E that would be great, as those two (in large doses) will inhibit the absorption of iron.

Have a look at this link Beth, for a good deal of info regarding 'iron';

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
bethany wrote:

As long as you have not crossed the line into 'anemia', a good daily supplement should suffice. Look for a multi-vitamin which also contains vitamins A + B complex (which help support iron absorption)... On the other hand, if you can find one with little or no zinc + vitamin E that would be great, as those two (in large doses) will inhibit the absorption of iron.

Have a look at this link Beth, for a good deal of info regarding 'iron';

Ugh...maybe I had better stop taking my zinc supplement. I honestly can't remember why I was taking it anyway!

I'll look over that link...thanks Kassy!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
I take an iron supplement called hema-plex...it works quite well and gives me a lot of energy. I can tell the difference in physical endurance when exercising when I don't take it.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:02 am      Reply with quote
I am taking Ero-Fer, which is kept behind the pharmacy counter, but is not a prescription.
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:18 am      Reply with quote
Have you tried eating raisins? They are meant to be high in iron, and the body can easily absorb it. Most dried fruit is supposed to be relatively high in iron. I heard that low levels of iron can make it difficult for your body to use other vitamins and minerals that keep your skin healthy.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:23 am      Reply with quote
No, I haven't and should give that a try, but I am having liver once a week now.
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:19 am      Reply with quote
I would rather get my iron from the food I eat (eggs, fish , green leafy veg) than take a pill. Taking iron pills sometimes causes constipation.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Some dietary recommendations:

Foods rich in iron include:

Red meat
Pork
Seafood
Poultry
Eggs
Iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas
Beans
Peas
Dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach
Nuts and seeds
Dried fruit, such as raisins and apricots
Meat sources of iron are more readily absorbed by your body.

You can enhance your body's absorption of iron by drinking citrus juice when you eat an iron-containing food. Vitamin C in citrus juices, like orange juice, helps your body better absorb dietary iron.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/iron-deficiency-anemia/DS00323/DSECTION=prevention

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Liquorice is also meant to be good for boosting iron levels
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:36 am      Reply with quote
gimidalight wrote:
Liquorice is also meant to be good for boosting iron levels

Unfortunately the easiest sources for our bodies to absorb are from meat. Sometimes no matter how well you eat supplementation is the only way to get the levels up. Just like I (and both daughters inherited this) am naturally high in iron more woman are likely to be low, pre menopause that is.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Just an FYI regarding the *better* alternative to boosting iron with food sources which I wholeheartedly agree with.

For the 1st time in my 10 years post menopause, my iron count is normal and stable. I give all the credit to my daily smoothie, since nothing else has changed.

The constants in my smoothie are spinach, kale and always a citrus fruit like orange or tangerine. (I'm thinking DM's post confirms that perhaps the citrus does boost iron absorption!)

The bonus also is I lost 8ish lbs without even trying Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
papertiger
5% products discount

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:18 am      Reply with quote
I am taking Slow Fe, which contains ferrous sulfate. But I had my blood tested first, to make sure the reason I was feeling so lethargic was because of lack of iron. I haven't had any problems with constipation or stomach pains that come with most iron supplements.

But I only need to take ferrous sulfate to up my iron stores, for about 3 to 6 months. After that hopefully I'll just rely on food for sources of iron.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:23 am      Reply with quote
papertiger wrote:
I am taking Slow Fe, which contains ferrous sulfate. But I had my blood tested first, to make sure the reason I was feeling so lethargic was because of lack of iron. I haven't had any problems with constipation or stomach pains that come with most iron supplements.

But I only need to take ferrous sulfate to up my iron stores, for about 3 to 6 months. After that hopefully I'll just rely on food for sources of iron.

I have a good friend who had the same situation and her doc used the same protocol, 6 months on the supplement and then just a good diet and a regular multi with iron to keep her levels healthy. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:45 am      Reply with quote
This is an excellent article on iron and iron supplements from the National Institute of Health. A few points of interest:

Iron comes in 2 different forms in our diet; heme from animal products, and nonheme from plants. Heme iron is better absorbed by the body (15% to 35%) than nonheme ( 2% to 20%).

Supplemental iron is available in two forms: ferrous and ferric. Ferrous iron salts (ferrous fumarate, ferrous sulfate, and ferrous gluconate) are the best absorbed forms of iron supplements.

People with a greater need for iron, individuals who tend to lose more iron, and people who do not absorb iron normally may need supplementation. These individuals include
pregnant women; preterm and low birth weight infants; older infants and toddlers; teenage girls; women of childbearing age, especially those with heavy menstrual losses; people with renal failure, especially those undergoing routine dialysis; and people with gastrointestinal disorders who do not absorb iron normally.

Iron deficiency is uncommon among adult men and postmenopausal women. Nutrient needs should be met primarily through consuming foods. It is important for anyone who is considering taking an iron supplement to first consider whether their needs are being met by natural dietary sources of heme and nonheme iron and foods fortified with iron, and to discuss their potential need for iron supplements with their physician.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Some dietary recommendations:

Foods rich in iron include:

Red meat
Pork
Seafood
Poultry
Eggs
Iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas
Beans
Peas
Dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach
Nuts and seeds
Dried fruit, such as raisins and apricots
Meat sources of iron are more readily absorbed by your body.

Apples
Buckwheat
Mulberry

I add spinach to all juices.
I also boil organic raisins and apricots and drink the juice! Add mulberry to oatmeal.

Whenever I'm low on iron, I feel sleepy, cold and tired. Skin loses color.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Agree, It's by means a full list of food sources for iron. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin C does help iron absorb better...
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |