Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Can I switch am / pm regimens for Obagi Nu-Derm?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
I just started week 2 of Obagi and I am already wavering. My skin is super dry and flaky and my face looks like a cracked, dried out riverbed with thousands of fissures on it. The redness isn't as bad as it was but the dryness is even worse. I just did the pm regimen, noticing that the blender/tretinoin provides much more moisture and minimizes the appearance of all that dry skin. It's the am regimen that is the worst for me because I have to see my horrible looking face and so do others.

My question is, would it be detrimental at all if I switched the routines and did the pm routine in the morning and vice versa? The only thing I can think of that would affect the results is that the am products currently stay on my face for at 12-15 hours whereas the pm is staying on only for 7-8.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:
I just started week 2 of Obagi and I am already wavering. My skin is super dry and flaky and my face looks like a cracked, dried out riverbed with thousands of fissures on it. The redness isn't as bad as it was but the dryness is even worse. I just did the pm regimen, noticing that the blender/tretinoin provides much more moisture and minimizes the appearance of all that dry skin. It's the am regimen that is the worst for me because I have to see my horrible looking face and so do others.

My question is, would it be detrimental at all if I switched the routines and did the pm routine in the morning and vice versa? The only thing I can think of that would affect the results is that the am products currently stay on my face for at 12-15 hours whereas the pm is staying on only for 7-8.

Retin A should not be used during the day and needs to be used at night. Only if you work a night shift and sleep during the day would that work. Otherwise, you need to keep the Blender/RA at night. What sunscreen are you using. A lot of times that will provide the "moisture" you need during the day.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

A lot of times that will provide the "moisture" you need during the day.

And make up as well? I use concealer and foundation and they're quite moisturizning. Embarassed
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

A lot of times that will provide the "moisture" you need during the day.

And make up as well? I use concealer and foundation and they're quite moisturizning. Embarassed

Definitely if you wear make-up, it should provide a little extra moisture, as well!
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
When you said that the Retin-A should only be used at night or when I'm sleeping I'm assuming you are talking about adverse reaction with Retin-A and the sun?

Right now I'm using a cream to powder foundation that is more like a paste and whoa, does it just accentuate the cracking. I haven't tried liquid foundation and I'm not a fan of the mineral makeup, it settles in my pores and fine lines. I'll have to stop by the store for some liquid foundation tomorrow. Do you have any recommendations that will not sting/burn the sensitive skin?
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Oh and I'm wearing Skinceuticals ultimate spf30.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, due to the sun, its_kristy.

I don't wear make-up but I think the nurse I went to used to recommend Lycogel? Not positive on that.

If the dryness is too bad, you could always cut down on the amount of the products for a little bit to see if that will help out. Unfortunately, the dryness is really just part of the process. I am not sure what RA strength you are using but you could cut down to the 0.025%. There are even recommendations now that I am seeing for using a retinol product with the blender instead of RA. I don't think the results would be as good with a retinol product, but it could be an option for you. The only other thing I can think of is to try the Obagi Action for a brief period of time?
sofiya
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
should wear at least SPF 30.
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:07 am      Reply with quote
Right now I am using the .05%. Is it the Exfoderm or the Tretinoin that is causing the exfoliation? I thought it was the Exfoderm given that is what stings a little when I apply and it's always in the afternoon noon when a new round of peeling starts.

Another thing, the Obagi instructions give measurements in grams, which is not a unit I'm all that familiar with. When I was at derm's office, the aesthetician told me to use pea sized amounts and that the products should last for several months. But after reading here, people are talking about strips the length of the first joint on my pinky for 1/2 gram or the letters O to A on the bottle. That seems like a lot. The Clear bottle says to apply a thin layer but it feels like more than that, not to mention at the first-joint rate, the stuff will last less than 60 days given that 1 gram = .0352739619 ounces. And then when I go to apply the blender/tretinoin, that is literally like slathering it on my face. My whole face turns white and it takes several minutes to rub it all in. Are those interpretations of 1/2 and 1 gram correct?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:05 am      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:
Right now I am using the .05%. Is it the Exfoderm or the Tretinoin that is causing the exfoliation? I thought it was the Exfoderm given that is what stings a little when I apply and it's always in the afternoon noon when a new round of peeling starts.

Another thing, the Obagi instructions give measurements in grams, which is not a unit I'm all that familiar with. When I was at derm's office, the aesthetician told me to use pea sized amounts and that the products should last for several months. But after reading here, people are talking about strips the length of the first joint on my pinky for 1/2 gram or the letters O to A on the bottle. That seems like a lot. The Clear bottle says to apply a thin layer but it feels like more than that, not to mention at the first-joint rate, the stuff will last less than 60 days given that 1 gram = .0352739619 ounces. And then when I go to apply the blender/tretinoin, that is literally like slathering it on my face. My whole face turns white and it takes several minutes to rub it all in. Are those interpretations of 1/2 and 1 gram correct?

Ok. So you could go down to the 0.025% if you wanted.

I would definitely do what your esty said. However, you are right, using the correct amount of the products you will go through them faster. Here is the "normal" protocol for Obagi. (To measure 1 gram, you can to this 2 ways. Use the name OGAGI on the bottles. From the O to the I is 1 gram. And the line is is not thin, think of putting toothpaste on your brush. 1/2 gram is from the O to the A. The other way is to use your pinky finger. From the top of your finger down to the first joint is 1/2 gram, and from the tip of your finger down to the 2nd joint is 1 gram. Again, you use a thicker line.). Now, part of the entire process is the massaging the products in Very well. Yes, it will take quite a while and you have to rub, and rub. This is the Correct way to apply the products.

Anyway, if you follow the normal protocol of 1 gram of Clear twice a day, you will go through 1 Clear a month. Using 1/2 gram of the Exfoderm and Blender daily puts you at about 3-3 1/2 months of use from them.

As far as the flaking and dryness, it really is a combination of the products. The Exfoderm being the AHA to exfoliate, and the Tretinoin also exfoliating. The redness can come from the Clear, but most often it is from the Exfoderm. HTH!

ETA: Kristy, how old are you? You don't have to give age, but can you give a decade?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:14 am      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:

Right now I'm using a cream to powder foundation that is more like a paste and whoa, does it just accentuate the cracking. I haven't tried liquid foundation and I'm not a fan of the mineral makeup, it settles in my pores and fine lines. I'll have to stop by the store for some liquid foundation tomorrow. Do you have any recommendations that will not sting/burn the sensitive skin?

I would recommend to use a good quality concealer instead of foundation as foundation can make flakes more visible.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:02 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
its_kristy wrote:

I would recommend to use a good quality concealer instead of foundation as foundation can make flakes more visible.

Also, do a search for Margarett. She found a primer she is Very happy with while on Obagi.
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks very much for all the recommendations!

Riley--I am turning 40 next week. Now you understand better why I started Oabgi.....
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:51 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:
its_kristy wrote:

Also, do a search for Margarett. She found a primer she is Very happy with while on Obagi.

It's High Definition Primer by Make Up Forever (in green). I would check the ingredients though.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:25 am      Reply with quote
[quote="its_kristy"]When you said that the Retin-A should only be used at night or when I'm sleeping I'm assuming you are talking about adverse reaction with Retin-A and the sun?

FYI, Retin-A should not be used in the morning at all. Not a good idea. But you must also consider using a good sunscreen for the face like at least 50 SPF. It will provide additional protection while your skin is under repair. Keep us posted.

Also, while your skin is flaking and healing, it would be a good idea to lessen the use of make-up as you will be looking worst in the next week or so.
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Here's another question--is it normal for the products to burn/sting when they are applied? The last couple of days there has been not just a minor amount of stinging when I apply the clear, exfoderm, blender/tret, sunfader, and spf. Basically everything burns except the cleanser and the toner.

I am peeling every single day. A new layer every day. Not just residual peeling of the same layer for a few days. I can definitively say that around my mouth there is a new layer being sloughed every single day and it not only looks horrible but my face is dry and tight. The current feeling is pretty similar to what it felt like 2 days after I had a Vitalize peel, though perhaps not as much peeling.

Additionally, I have been measuring the 1/2 gram using the first joint on the pinky but I am starting to wonder how accurate that is. I've been on this now for 1.5 weeks and I don't think the clear is going to last the 57 days that it should based on how much is left. In the morning, my face is so saturated with the products that by the time I get to the spf my face will not absorb the product and it ends up balling up on face and I have to brush it off with a hand towel.

I don't know if I can handle this suffering! Confused
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
The products will probably sting, as your skin is in major exfoliation mode, especially as you are adjusting to all the products.

1 suggestion I have is stop the Sunfader. That product causes major problems for the majority of people. If you are using the Skinceuticals sunscreen you don't need the sunfader. That could be part of the problem.

The mouth area will be the area that peels a lot due to all the movement in that area (smiling, laughing, talking, eating, etc) it is constantly moving. May sure you have some Aquaphor on hand to apply to the corners of your mouth to prevent the cracks that will more than likely happen. You also may want to get some diaper rash cream (sounds silly, but it works) and apply that to any raw areas. If you do develop raw areas do not apply any of the Nu Derm products on the raw skin.

The dryness is just part of the process and one you have to get through. If it gets too bad, you can cut down on the amount of products used for a few days to let your skin calm down and then start back up on the correct amount.

If you are using 1/2 gram of Clear twice a day, it won't last 57 days, it will last approximately 30 days.
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:01 am      Reply with quote
I am going to Vegas this Thursday evening for my 40th birthday celebration. I don't want to be looking like a freakshow while there so I'd like to temporarily stop using Obagi or modify the regimen to minimize the side effects. When should I stop the treatment, or what should I modify and when? I am flying back home Sunday so I plan on starting up again Saturday night.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:
I am going to Vegas this Thursday evening for my 40th birthday celebration. I don't want to be looking like a freakshow while there so I'd like to temporarily stop using Obagi or modify the regimen to minimize the side effects. When should I stop the treatment, or what should I modify and when? I am flying back home Sunday so I plan on starting up again Saturday night.

Wow, Kristy! First of all, I hope you have an awesome time in Vegas and Happy Birthday!!

I would stop using the products about 3 days before you go so you can look normal again. When I vacationed, I tried to use Clear at least one time a day and don't forget the sunscreen!!

Have fun! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure how it's possible, buy the side effects have gotten worse. Aside from the red-hot face, there is just an enormous amount of peeling everywhere. Before it was confined to my muzzle area and a few spots here and there but today, omg, my face looked like a glazed donut with all the shedding and cracking!

I shower at night after I exercise and in the shower I am able to rub it all off with fingertips but by noon the next day, it's like groundhog's day all over again. Would it be better to shower exfoliation routine in the morning?
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, and another thing. I'm assuming this nightmare is going to be on-going for me throughout the entire process. My face is such a hot mess so how am I supposed tell whether it's even working or not 3 months from now when it's all crinkly, peely, etc?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
its_kristy, your face may be red throughout the entire time, but it won't always be a flaky mess. You will go through periods of good skin and then flaky skin. A lot of people are done with the worst of it at about 6-8 weeks.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:36 am      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:
Oh, and another thing. I'm assuming this nightmare is going to be on-going for me throughout the entire process. My face is such a hot mess so how am I supposed tell whether it's even working or not 3 months from now when it's all crinkly, peely, etc?

Hi Kristy,
Rileygirl is right. The "glazed doughnut look" won't last the entire time. But, you will continue to peel -- on and off. Also, the Obagi tightness and exaggerated wrinkles will get better and you'll be able to tell how the Nuderm is working for you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Ok, so I stopped doing the full Obagi system last night in anticipation of my trip. I am continuing to do everything except the exfoderm and the blender/tret. The peeling and redness has already subsided. I tried the sunfader again this morning thinking it may not bother me given I didn't do blender/tret last night but nope, still feels like battery acid. The has also always burned, too, though not sure if exacerbated by sun fader or if there is a common ingredient in both that bother me.

I also wonder if some of the burning I'm experiencing is all the rubbing/friction of raw skin when I apply the product. I'm very impatient and when doing the routine, and tend to go as quickly as I can and end up rubbing the product in pretty aggressively in terms of speed and pressure. Do you think it would reduce the burning if I applied the product in even layer, lightly massaged for a few seconds, then let it sit and absorb on it's own for while, then massage the rest of it in?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kristy,
Sunfader can get the best of a lot of people! It can cause redness and irritation -- all by itself! In anticipation of your upcoming trip, I would back off on the Sunfader completely. Just make sure you do use sunscreen. I think the "on fire" feeling will subside. I'm on Round 2 of Nuderm and I chose not to use SF at all.

Maybe rubbing the products into your skin a little gentler will also help with the irritation and sensitivity.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |