Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mixology Basics?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
NoraJaye2

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
I just found this forum and am so excited. I've been looking at all the recipes, and thanks to y'all, I just ordered everything I need to make the C serum.

I also ordered some Copper Peptides, some pomegranate extracts and green tea extract- there are so many cool ingredients out there. So here's my question:

Is there a post or a site or anything anywhere that will help me understand the basics of what should be mixed with what? And how?

If something is water soluble, does that mean I shouldn't mix it with an oil? Are the jojoba and vitamin E oils from Whole Foods good enough? What does the vodka or witchhazel do? Where can I find those little blue bottles? Should I keep all my solutions refridgerated once made or just the C?

So really, I'm looking for mixology basics.

(If it makes any difference, I am in my forties, have a very thin face and super dry skin, just bought a derma roller, and have two 60s aunts I'm going to supply with any brew I make)

Thank you!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Cross posting from the other thread some very basic information I hope helps. Smile

Not mixology 101 by any means!

Reading several different recipes here and some of the listed sites can help a lot to get an idea how things are put together.

Most of your ingredients are soluable in one of the following.
Alcohol
Water
Oil

When you are mixing those together you will find that your recipe is given in phases, mix oil soluble in oil, water soluble in water ect.

Then the different phases are mixed together usually with an emulsifier that keeps say oil and water phases from separating.

The correct ph for the active needs to be considered.

What if any thickener, stabilizers, preservative you need.

One source of free recipes and information I recommend is:

http://www.makingcosmetics.com

many of the sites in the index list also have recipes and help with formulating.

My best advice other than what is listed above start slow and simple or it can be quite overwhelming and frustrating.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Darkmoon, thank you. That's exactly what I needed for Mixology 101 - just knowing how to categorize ingredients that way is a great help.

The making cosmetics site is a huge help, too.

I'm going to read around a bit, and I'll bet everything makes a lot more sense now.

Thanks!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
NoraJaye2 wrote:
Darkmoon, thank you. That's exactly what I needed for Mixology 101 - just knowing how to categorize ingredients that way is a great help.

The making cosmetics site is a huge help, too.

I'm going to read around a bit, and I'll bet everything makes a lot more sense now.

Thanks!

I am glad it helped, it's just the tip of the iceberg but start slow and don't let it get overwhelming. There are many here that will gladly help and answer questions. Smile

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |