Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Retinol confusion - newbie question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ABB
5% products discount

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I have just ordered my first Retinol product, but it seems that I got something wrong. Namely, I was convinced that 0.025% is the mildest version, but Skinceuticals offered versions 0.3%, 0.05% and 1%? I have ordered 0.3% version. Will this be too much for first time user? I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but I just wanted to diminish some fine lines I have developed around my mouth and eyes (I've just turned 27, in case if the age plays role as well).

Also, after reading some of the posts on this forum, I was thinking that it would be perhaps better for me to use Retin-A? I have normal skin, with occasional break outs. If so, which brand of Retin-a should I choose?

TIA!
bluugrass
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:16 am      Reply with quote
Well, you have me confused. I just looked at the Skinceutical site, and all I saw was the 0.5% and 1.0% strengths. Some of those strengths you mention look more like Retin-A strengths.
I've not used this particular product, but if you don't have sensitive skin, you'll probably do fine if you allow your skin to get accustomed to the product gradually. You can always back off a bit if it irritates your skin, use it every other day or every 3rd day for awhile, gradually increasing application frequency.
As far as Retin-A, if you're not getting through a doctor's perscription (or even if you are) it's hard telling how your skin will react to any particular strength. I bought mine in November from alldaychemist.com, and the tubes are so cheap (under $3) that you can more than likely afford to buy a variety of strengths. Shipping is where they get ya ($25), so buy bulk. Then you can start with the .025 and jump to the .05 if you have no irritation with the lower. Many people don't start at the weakest strength, so I see no reason to stay at the weakest for 2 months before bumping up, as some users will tell you to do. I started with the 0.025 and was using the 0.05 within 2 weeks without a problem other than peeling, and I think that was only due to my infrequency (read: laziness) of use.
Other, more experienced users will chime in here before long and you should heed what they say, but in the end, it's your own skin that will tell you what to do. I put mine on a wet face because it spreads easier, making it easier to use less product, although we're told to wait 20 minutes after washing to ensure no moisture which will cause irritation. Everyone is different. I would say, as cheap as those tubes are, order 2 or 3 of each strength, mixing them so you have creams as well as gels, that way you have the weakest if you need it and the strongest if you can handle it. Your age may play into this choice too....you may not even need the strongest. I turned 50 today, and need all the help I can get. Laughing
Also, a bit of advice that was given me...you've probably heard about Lumigan/Latisse, a glaucoma treatment that was discovered to grow lashes and costs an arm and a leg over here...alldaychemist.com has the generic for ten bucks. If you're interested in longer lashes, do your homework, read the pros and cons of that stuff (some bad reports, but I use it...carefully Cool) and add it to your order if you want. I put it on about once or twice a week and noticed longer lashes in a month. Read up on it first though..and don't get it IN your eyes, that's where the problems start.
I'm basically a newbie myself, but I've had longer to read posts than you have, so I hope my two sheckels are worth something. Someone else should chime in soon.
Good luck, and welcome to the forum! Very Happy
ABB
5% products discount

Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot bluugrass!! I know I have to do my research first, but there are so many informations in this forum that one gets lost so easily. I even started writing them down Smile.

Anyway, I think Retin-A will suit me better for what I need it for (primarily to reduce appearance of smile lines I have developed). But I wasn't able to fine the place where I would be able to order the weakest version on line, since all the sites here in UK require doctor prescription! But is it even possible to get this Retin-A without prescription? I thought that the prescription is needed only for the greater percentages Question
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:21 am      Reply with quote
ABB wrote:
I have just ordered my first Retinol product, but it seems that I got something wrong. Namely, I was convinced that 0.025% is the mildest version, but Skinceuticals offered versions 0.3%, 0.05% and 1%? I have ordered 0.3% version. Will this be too much for first time user? I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but I just wanted to diminish some fine lines I have developed around my mouth and eyes (I've just turned 27, in case if the age plays role as well).

Also, after reading some of the posts on this forum, I was thinking that it would be perhaps better for me to use Retin-A? I have normal skin, with occasional break outs. If so, which brand of Retin-a should I choose?

TIA!

The thing is that Retinol is different from Retin-A. So the percentages are not comparable (i.e. 0.3% of retinol is not the same as 0.3% of Retin-A)

Retin-A contains tretinion, or all-trans retionic acid.

If you put Retinol in the skin, it has to be absorbed and converted into retinoic acid for it to do its effect. So some of the problems are:
a. Variable absorption: when you put the cream on, some of the retinol gets degraded so it will become useless

b. The conversion from retinol to retinoic acid is slow and varies quite a bit from individual to individual. So some people will not benefit from it.

This is why in general most people prefer tretinoin vs. retinol, because it is more effective. However, you need to start slow because it can be irritating. Even if you start with 0.025%, you might want to mix half-half with a cream, use it every other day and then go up slowly.

Tretinoin is only sold with a prescription, regardless of the strength. You can get it from an overseas pharmacy with no prescription.

I hope this helped!

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:49 am      Reply with quote
I am currently on Obagi and will soon need more of the tretinoin. My current tube is the Obagi brand that I bought from derm's office. Can anyone here attest to the quality of the tretinoin being sold at all day chemist?
bluugrass
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:19 am      Reply with quote
@ABB-
The online pharmacy I mentioned, alldaychemist.com, didn't require a prescription..it did ask me for the name and phone # of my doctor...I filled in the name of the lady at the clinic I go to, and she's not a doc; I don't believe they ever check those, they just have a requirement to have a name on file. And I do believe that other forum members in the UK order from them.

A link to their tretinoin choices...
https://alldaychemist.com/568_Retin-A-

...and just in case you're interested in the Careprost for lashes...
http://alldaychemist.com/1254-careprost.html

@ its_kristy-
alldaychemist.com seems to have a pretty good reputation, many on this forum deal with them. The 0.05% cream I bought is manufactured in India by Johnson & Johnson. I've not been using long enough to vouch, but I can tell you that any one of these strengths that I've bought DO make me flake, which tells me that they do work. I've not seen any complaints on the forum about their selection being poor quality. If no long-time user answers you here besides me, you might want to post that question in your own thread so anyone wanting to reply with a positive or negative can see your title.

Hope this helped. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |