Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What Age for Accutane....

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
My niece is 10 and having bad breakouts and blackheads. I am sure she will need Accutane at some point since both of her parents had acne.

Does anyone know what age you can start to take it?

Thanks
talyta
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I gave to my daughter when she was 14 -15 . She started very bad at 12. She took it only for 3 month and it was ok .I think that longer you wait is getting worst and harder to get rid of it . I was desperate as she is like my husband and he had a very bad acne4e when he was young - the kind that leaves marks Sad . My gal is good now - she is 20 - a pimple here and there but nothing major
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
I used Accutane twice in my late teens and regret it. I believe it may have done permanent damage to me emotionally. It is being removed from the U.S. market due to many lawsuits:
http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/drug-toxic_chemicals/accutane-lawsuit.htm
http://product-liability.lawyers.com/drug-medical-device-litigation/blogs/archives/1362-Brandname-Accutane-Acne-Medicine-Is-Being-Removed-From-U.S.-Market-By-Roche.html
http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/7529

That Accutane is a dangerous drug with permanent side effects is really important to get.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:47 am      Reply with quote
There are lots of great rx topicals to try first. Accutane is such a last resort. I'm not against it but it should just be used as a last resort.
If she hasn't been to a derm yet I'd encourage her parents to take her.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:47 am      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
I used Accutane twice in my late teens and regret it. I believe it may have done permanent damage to me emotionally. It is being removed from the U.S. market due to many lawsuits:
http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/drug-toxic_chemicals/accutane-lawsuit.htm
http://product-liability.lawyers.com/drug-medical-device-litigation/blogs/archives/1362-Brandname-Accutane-Acne-Medicine-Is-Being-Removed-From-U.S.-Market-By-Roche.html
http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/7529

That Accutane is a dangerous drug with permanent side effects is really important to get.

Just to clarify... the patent of "Accutane" (isotretinoin) expired so now they are a lot of other companies manufacturing isotretinoin. Because of this (coupled with pending lawsuits) Roche took Accutane off the US market. Roche continues to produce Accutane in other markets.

Besides that I agree that it is a drug with many benefits but with many potential side effects, some of them quite severe. Thus it should always be taken under a drs. supervision.

In the case of acne, where higher doses are taken, it should usually be taken as a last resort when other treatment options have failed.

I don't know if you niece is currently seeing a dermatologist but if she isn't... she should! There are LOTS of other options she should try before it gets worse. Also a lot of acne sufferers frequently lament that they sought care too late so by the time they got a good treatment they already had scarring Sad

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:52 am      Reply with quote
I see both sides of this argument well.
I was 21 and nothing else worked. It was a miracle after months of antibiotics. But, I ended up in the hospital as I have said with peritonitis and had 2 feet of small intestine removed.
At the time, they could not tell me why but now I believe it was due to the heavy doses of accutane, although I cannot prove that.
Yes, my cystic acne was cured and my skin looked fabulous for 20 years, but I nearly died.
I chose to not put my son on it when he was in high school, we went the differin route,which was just okay and I took him to the derm.
I suggest a good derm and treatment plan as I don't think the accutane should be used at this age for sure. I am not even sure that any derm is prescribing it anymore as some have said but I don't know about that part.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
ok thanks for all your info.
I believe it is still on the market in Canada.

I am having a very hard time getting her to wash and take care of her skin. And her parents dont reinfore it.

Its a lot of breakouts around her hairline and black heads on her nose and chin.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:17 am      Reply with quote
You should get the prescription from dermatologies.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Personally, I think accutane is best in the cystic acne situation. Nothing else really works for that as well IMO.
Blackheads can be controlled by scrubs and acne on the hairline can be controlled by a good wash. Now if she later develops into the cystic, then have her parents talk to a derm.
Accutane is hard on the body, that's why it is not recommended for teenagers, especially due to hormones.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:55 am      Reply with quote
I debated about Accutane for my now 16 year old son. I just couldn't get past my concerns on the side effects. His derm has been very good at working with us on alternatives. Right now he is taking Doryx, which is time-released doxycyline. This one is helping MUCH more than the other antibiotics did. It is expensive and insurance often won't cover it in the US (they want you to use the generic doxycyline, but it's not really the same thing as the generic is not time released). The manufacturer has had a good subsidy/rebate program going in the US, so that helps with the cost.

My son also uses Epiduo, which is a cream with retin A and BP. Consistency of use is KEY! They have to be motivated to want good skin and sometimes they are too young for it to be a priority for them.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:29 am      Reply with quote
I use Oracea for my rosacea, which is a time-released doxy as well, just very low dosage.
I too use a 25.00 voucher card because it is over 400.00 for 30 without it! My insurance will not pay for it.
It works a little, but I am going in to see my derm next week as I have been on it for 5-6 months now and am not impressed overall.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
I started breaking out probably around 3rd grade, but it sort of exploded around 6th grade (I got my period when I was 10, so puberty came too early)

I tried EVERYTHING. I'm in med school, and I always laugh during the derm portions since I've literally been on everything available. Creams, gels, acid peels, light therapy, facials, dry ice techniques, injections to the face, oral meds.

I had been going to a specialized "acne clinic" and a dermatologist since around 10 and at age 14 I went on accutane for the first time. At the time, they thought it unneccessary to prescribe birth control (I signed many release forms releasing the drs involved of any liability issues). I was on it for 6 months. It was over a Canadian winter, so the dryness was terrible. Every facial orifice had to be doused with vaseline before bed. I went through tons of chapsticks with no relief. By the end of the course, my acne was limited to the smaller bumps that's the other kids had, but I think being on the accutane made me scar worse (I'm still left with brown spots from old acne that microderm can't seem to help).

The results lasted a year. I still got hormonal breakouts, and I continued to use topicals. I was told that occasionally some people need an additional course, so I was put on accutane again for another 6 months, again without OCP. It worked for longer this time.

My third and final course of accutane was when I was around 18 or 19, again no OCP. It was only 4 months.

I've now given up on accutane. BUT when I was 23 I was having severe menstrual cramps to the point I'd occasionally go stark white and pass out. I had a change of doctor and was prescribed OCP to help regulate my cycle and help with the menstrual symptoms. She did mention that itd help with my acne too, but I didn't even give it much thought as she wasn't aware of my face's history. OMG. I wish I had just started the OCP when I first started the accutane! I still get the occasional blemish but they're smaller, not painful and often gone within a few days. I only get those honkers a couple times a year during exams (when I also know I'm neglecting my normal facial routine)

It may be a combination of what my mother always said ("you'll grow out of it") but I tend to be more skeptical.

I'm lucky in that I didn't really experience any of the more negative side effects accutane and OCP can have.

Also, I had impeccable facial routines since I was 10. My mother and sister had perfect skin, so she became concerned over how it would potentially affect my self esteem. I always had long regimens, before Proactiv even came out! What made me consistent was that my mom had her own facial routine, so she didn't badger me about mine directly. She'd be going to do her nightime routine, so i'd just follow and do mine. It works easier if you start young.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Vivier Hydration Pack (3 items) Orlane Special Price, Super-Moisturizing Light Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Osmotics Blue Copper 5 Face Lifting Serum (1.7oz)