Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Big Huge Rave for Tyson Vacuums!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Sweet Pea
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have read so many raves regarding this vacuum that I broke down and ran to my local Costco to get one. Very Happy
It is the best investment I have made. We had company over the weekend and vacuumed with my Hoover Windtunnel. As soon as I got home I vacuumed again with my Dyson. I had to empty the container 3 times with crap that my Hoover never picked up. One other plus is that it is quiet. You can actually carry on a conversation while vacuuming.
Dyson's are expensive but well worth the investment.
This item gets top billing Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Just wanted to share.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:27 am      Reply with quote
I my Dyson too! I think I must have an older version though as I wouldn't describe it as quiet.
I get a weird sense of satisfaction from watching all the dirt/dust/fluff swirling round inside the clear bin. Very Happy
Sweet Pea
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:43 am      Reply with quote
It is a lot more quiet than my Hoover. I couldn't believe how much dirt, dust and animal hair was still in my carpet. Embarassed
I can't say enough about my Dyson.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:47 am      Reply with quote
I spent over $700 on my Dyson (one of those upright ones) - and who knows how much on the filters later on! It broke two months after the warranty expried and had to be serviced twice during the warranty period. I bought it after seeing the demo on TV and also after raves from one of my friends.

On the upside - I liked it's bright purple and yellow colors Smile
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:21 am      Reply with quote
I'd deffo never be without my dyson now....with the amount of cat hairs it picks up, I could of knitted everyone on the forum a jumper!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:50 am      Reply with quote
...I thought that the sweet and fragrant Mike had brought out a new vacuum now he's retired from boxing Rolling Eyes They could sell alongside George Forman Grills Laughing
Seriously though, Dysons are great...I love mine Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:21 am      Reply with quote
I thought I was very sad raving about my dyson when I first got it about 3 or 4 years ago. It was so great my mate who did not have one used to come round and vaccuum for me because she loved it. Double bonus. Then she got her own now I have to vaccuum myself. I love my Dyson. Never thought I would see the day when I fell in love with a vaccuum. Is it an age thing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Do any other Americans find it slightly disconcerting to hear or read a Brit or Aussie woman refer to a female friend as a "mate"? Because over here if a female talks about her 'mate' she's most likely referring to her lesbian partner Exclamation so I was a little bemused when I first read loopylori's post about her friend who likes to vacumn!! Very Happy Laughing

Carrie
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:18 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Because over here if a female talks about her 'mate' she's most likely referring to her lesbian partner Exclamation

Really? Shock
I've got a whole bunch of mates. Confused

Australians are stereotyped as referring to everyone as 'mate'. Not sure if this is really the case though. Any Aussies that can confirm/deny this? Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:
carekate wrote:
Because over here if a female talks about her 'mate' she's most likely referring to her lesbian partner Exclamation

Really? Shock
I've got a whole bunch of mates. Confused

God! you are such a tart! Laughing ...so is the collective noun for lesbians a bunch then?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:59 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:

God! you are such a tart! Laughing ...so is the collective noun for lesbians a bunch then?

Razz

'Bunch'? No, more likely to be 'butch'. Very Happy
Only jesting if there are any of our sapphic sisters out there.
Don't actually know if there is a collective noun for them. hmm
Brings a whole new meaning to the term 'Billy No Mates'.
I never really use the term 'mates' as it makes me think of a brand of prophylactics.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Well, mate, better a bunch than a gaggle Laughing (god, I hate that word)

yea, mate pretty much covers anyone... when I go home and if my cousin calls up, my dad will say "C'mon, your mate's on the phone"
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
I know Carrie, I just assumed that her 'mate' was her 'lover'. There is a word we use here in the States ... in New England we even have a chain of stores with this word in it ... that is the MOST vulgar of words in England. I was having lunch with a British fellow and recommended this particular clothing store and he almost fell off his chair. He was horrified!
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Penelope wrote:
that is the MOST vulgar of words in England. I was having lunch with a British fellow and recommended this particular clothing store and he almost fell off his chair. He was horrified!

Oooooh. I'm intrigued. I don't expect you to spell it out for me but could you give me the first and last letters of the word? Does it begin with 'F' and end in 'Y'?
The word I'm thinking of always seems to cause a lot of confusion and embarrassing situations between Americans and the English. Very Happy

*Edited to include the following*

I've found out what it is! Did lots of searching on the internet and found a chain of discount fashion barns in the New England area with a rather interesting ( Exclamation ) name. I can believe the guy almost fell off his chair if you said that name to him. Laughing Laughing
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
I am sorry if my use of the word mate confused you. Can I just clarify I am 42 have been married for 24 years (to a man) Very Happy I have had four children. Shock My husband and my best friends husband always say 'your girlfriends on the phone' if one of us calls the other. I will also say I love her to bits and we would do almost anything for each other and trust each other with our deepest darkest secrets. We have never had sex with each other and would not. Embarassed It is just a very wonderful friendship and I feel lucky to have found her.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Sweet Pea wrote:
I have read so many raves regarding this vacuum that I broke down and ran to my local Costco to get one. Very Happy
It is the best investment I have made. We had company over the weekend and vacuumed with my Hoover Windtunnel. As soon as I got home I vacuumed again with my Dyson. I had to empty the container 3 times with crap that my Hoover never picked up. One other plus is that it is quiet. You can actually carry on a conversation while vacuuming.
Dyson's are expensive but well worth the investment.
This item gets top billing Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Just wanted to share.

Hmm Think Maybe you should visit my apartment, and use that super-dee-dooper vacuum. Casper sheds SO much, that it's a losing battle, and I have a lousey Sears/Kenmore up-right!
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:
I've found out what it is! Did lots of searching on the internet and found a chain of discount fashion barns in the New England area with a rather interesting ( Exclamation ) name. I can believe the guy almost fell off his chair if you said that name to him. Laughing Laughing

Heheh....I found it too. I don't think I'll tell my son anymore to "get off your *****"! Smile

-Cheri
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Toe:

Yup, that's the store. Frugle FA**Y (I don't want to offend anyone in GB). I find it so interesting that we speak the same language but some words just have an entirely different meaning.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
OMG! rofl

I have gotten SO used to my US friends using the word in such an "innocent" way.. but it is the FRUGAL in the front!

OH the images in my mind...

Jeez, ya know, when you're gonna start a business it is a good idea to find out if the word has a different meaning in half the world. (yes, Australia uses the "other" meaning)

Even now I still cannot keep a straight face when ever anyone talks about the "F...Y PACK" - especially if, like me, "pack" makes you think of "pack" like a "face pack". Puts a whole NEW spin on the term.
hmm I can just imaging some haughty shop assistant "A F...Y PACK mam?, Certainly, would you like a hydrating or deep cleansing one?" rofl Ewww...
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
I'll have to get my boyfriend to try and locate one of the stores next time he goes on a business trip to Massachusetts. A photo of the store sign will keep our friends amused! Laughing

Do you know if there is one near Cambridge, MA?

*Edited to add following*

Another interesting word that has a different meaning in the USA from the UK is 'rubber'. We use one to get rid of a mistake, you use one to prevent a mistake. Very Happy

I've also just discovered via the internet that the word 'napkin' has a very different meaning for Australians. Shock
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
That's funny - and so true. It you don't call them rubbers, what slang word do you use?

You know those little chocolate things they put on top of ice cream cones? In New York they are called 'sprinkles' and in Boston, 'jimmies'. In NY a 'water fountain' (for drinking) is called a 'bubbler' in Boston. And we are only 200 miles apart Laughing

And if I may ask, how do you refer to your country: UK, Great Britain, or England?
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:

I've also just discovered via the internet that the word 'napkin' has a very different meaning for Australians. Shock

Now I wonder what is it then? Of course I do have my own "meaning" but just want to be nosy Razz

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Well, an old-fashioned term that was sometimes used in the UK (what I tend to use rather than GB, only use England if I'm being specific) was 'rubber johnnies' - Sorry if I'm offending anyone talking about this sort of thing. Smile
Some people may still refer to them as 'johnnies' but I rarely hear it used, usually it's just 'condoms'.

Poor Sweet Pea. She started a thread about Dysons and we've ended up on contraception! Laughing
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
The full term in australia is "sanitary napkin" so that should fill you in. What do you call them in the US and UK? pads?

Oh, and in case you are wondering.. we call "napkins" (as in what you use at the table) "serviettes"

I guess it is like the dummy vs pacifier or nappy vs daiper too. Oh we could go on and on.. Laughing
Mabsy

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:57 am      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:

Australians are stereotyped as referring to everyone as 'mate'. Not sure if this is really the case though. Any Aussies that can confirm/deny this? Smile

Sure can mate! Smile Seriously, it's used a *lot* in Queensland. I use it frequently myself, although I wouldn't say "Oh mate, you should have seen... blah blah" to one of my female friends. Although my (male) boss uses that when speaking to me.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |