Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Product suggestions - Almost 30, fair skin, light freckles
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
trinket
5% products discount

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I am 28, and for the past few years I have been making a conscious effort to take care of my skin, and would like some feedback on my current regimen, and maybe some product suggestions that could suit my skin type. Obviously, it is a bit hard to 'diagnose' a skin type when you can't see it, so I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

I apologise in advance for the length of this post. I tend to be long-winded.

At the moment I would say my skin care concerns are:

- Pigmentation
- Break-outs
- Ageing

I currently use the following skin care products:

- MD Formulations Facial Cleanser with Glycolic Acid
- Dermalogica Solar Defense Booster SPF30
- Dermalogica Active Moist
- Dermalogica Total Eye Care
- Dermalogica Skin Prep Scrub (Probably 2-3 times per week)
- MD Formulations Vit-A Plus Illuminating Mask (1-2 times per week)
- MD Formulations Vit-A Plus Clearing Complex Mask (1-2 times per week)

All of these products were recommended to me by a beauty therapist in a salon.

I previously used MD Formulations Vit-A Plus Illuminating Serum each night, but I really didn't like the feeling of this product on my skin - it felt almost waxy and sticky. It didn't sink into my skin, and I couldn't sleep with it on because I often sleep on my side, the serum would wipe off my skin, and stain my pillow slips!

I have oily skin which I blot away throughout the day. I break-out occasionally - I might go a few weeks with great skin, then all of a sudden I have a couple of weeks where I break out on my chin or around the nose area. I might even have a week here and there where my skin just looks sallow and yuck. Generally speaking though, if I stick to my regimen, my skin is fine. I also find that a few days without any makeup helps to clear up my skin as well.

I have some freckles and pigmentation on my cheeks, and when I get pimples I tend to get a darker spots for a few weeks. I would like to get rid of the freckles and spots and have a more even looking skin tone. I have found that the products I am currently using have not been able to achieve this. I know that sunblock will not 100% prevent sun damage and freckle formation, so I try to avoid sun exposure. I do not sun bake or intentionally go out in the sun, although do get exposed to rays when I'm walking outside or in the car. I shield myself from the sun in these situations as best I can.

I work odd hours (which doesn't help my eye area), and find the skin around my eyes is super delicate and more often than not the skin in my eye area looks too 'thin' and lacks firmness (I have only just started getting strict with the eye cream, so this might improve over time).

And of course I'm nearing the big 3-0, and I would like to get stuck into a good skin care routine now, so that I can stay looking young for as long as possible (thankfully I have good genes on my side - everyone on both sides of my family are slow agers, but I am sure I got stuck with scrap genes, so don't want to rely on genetics alone!). I have one 'wrinkle' or 'line' on my face - and it is from smiling (and you can see it when I'm not smiling). It isn't a big deal, but I find at the end of the day my makeup tends to crease here and I have to pat around the area to even out the foundation.

I am sure there are people reading that last line and laughing about a 28 year old freaking out about a wrinkle - but lets just put it down to the 'age' and 'looks' obsessed world we live in....and a sprinkling of neuroticism Smile

So - with all this in mind...

- Is there something I should be doing that I'm not?
- Is there a product missing from my regimen?
- Are my products making my skin care concerns worse?
- What can I use to really make my skin glow and be more even?
- Any other comments?

Thanks in advance! And sorry again for such a long post!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi and welcome trinket,

I think you could benefit from using a Vitamin C product in the morning (look for one that contains l-ascorbic acid). Skinceuticals C E Ferulic is the best I've tried and I've used it for years. Skinceuticals has a Vitamin C Phloretin formula that could be better for your oily skin. The Vitamin C will help with the pigmentation. You could also benefit from using a product that contains retinol at night. Or something like the Green cream that EDS sells or Avene Retrinal which has retinalhyde (sp?). This will help prevent wrinkles and will help plump up any wrinkles you have to make them less noticeable. It sounds like you already have a pretty good routine going but you would probably notice a difference by adding those two products. There's lots of information on this forum about retinol, retin A, and Vitamin C if you want to do a search for more information about those products. Of course, if you start using these products make sure you have a strong sunscreen. HTHs
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
If I were you I would use (depending on skin tolerance, etc.)

a. A light hydroxiacid, working it up to every day use (the MD formulation might be strong enough,I don't know)

b. Retin-A

These would be my 2 "must use" products. Both will help with freckles, wrinkles and blemishes.

Once in a while I would do a stronger AHA peel.

Also... based on all the masks... you might be overdoing it a bit? I don't know how strong the glycolic acid on the cleanser is but...glycolic acid + scrubbing 3 times/week seems quite agressive....

Just my random thoughs!

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:

a. A light hydroxiacid, working it up to every day use (the MD formulation might be strong enough,I don't know)

b. Retin-A

These would be my 2 "must use" products. Both will help with freckles, wrinkles and blemishes.

Agree, but I would add in an antioxidant product, or a C serum like Jom mentioned. And, don't forget a sunscreen every day!! Very Happy
trinket
5% products discount

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:06 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your suggestions - I will look into everything you have mentioned!

Josee - re: scrubbing + masks - I don't use them religiously...Infact I am rather inconsistent with the masks and with exfoliation. I just realised I said I exfoliate 2-3 times per week, when really it should be 1-2 times.
The masks I tend to do whenever I think about it, and whenever I have the time. I might go more than a week or 2 without using a mask, but other times I might be more diligent and use a mask once or twice per week (note - I would use one mask, then use the other mask a few days later. I wouldn't use both twice a week).
jimstark51
5% products discount

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:18 am      Reply with quote
I definitely agree with the above posts regarding the Vitamin C. Read up on them to ensure the best brands. It should help with your pigmentation. I've had help with it treating breakouts as well.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:26 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Josee wrote:

b. Retin-A

Agree, but I would add in an antioxidant product, or a C serum like Jom mentioned. And, don't forget a sunscreen every day!! Very Happy

Yeah I guess I usually forget to mention Vitamin C because it reminds me that no matter how slow I try to go... my skin just does not tolerate it Sad

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:

Yeah I guess I usually forget to mention Vitamin C because it reminds me that no matter how slow I try to go... my skin just does not tolerate it Sad

Have you tried other anti-oxidants? I am a believer in a variety of antioxidants for the skin, not just C. I think the majority do not have much in the way of science, yet I think they could possibly help!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |