Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
smudgeproof eyeliners: pencils, gels, liquid?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Now that its starting to get warm out, my eyeliner doesn't last very long.
I'm wary of trying primers as all the ones I've ever tried have made me breakout. I have been using my The Balm concealer on my lids before applying eye makeup and that has been helping.
But, by after a few hours I have raccoon eyes, then by midday, there is no eyeliner left on my upper lips just the bottom lid so it looks like I had a night of bad sleep.

I'm currently using a waterproof eyeliner pencil, and even that isn't doing the trick...
I've been interested in the MAC and Smashbox gel liners, but was wondering if anyone has any advice?

I've had makeup artists use liquid in the past, and found they had good staying power, but I'm afraid of the learning curve of using a liquid every morning
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE the smashbox gel liners and in rainy, hot and humid Florida they have great staying power! It might take a time or 2 to get the hang of application, but they stay spreadable long enough to work with then set and stay put! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
i've been shopping and reading reviews for gel liners as well! Very Happy what a coincidence!

if there are any gel liner users on EDS, i'd love to know too! which is the best? long wear, no smudging, waterproof, intense pigmentation???

i'm torn between mac, stilla smudge pots, shu uemera painting liner, or smashbox jet set waterproof eyeliner???

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I LOVE the smashbox gel liners and in rainy, hot and humid Florida they have great staying power! It might take a time or 2 to get the hang of application, but they stay spreadable long enough to work with then set and stay put! Smile

angel,
in the smashbox do you use the black? is the pigmentation good?? i want to use a black gel liner... something with intense colour to make my eyes pop. pop! not ooglie eyed! Very Happy Laughing

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
llina wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

angel,
in the smashbox do you use the black? is the pigmentation good?? i want to use a black gel liner... something with intense colour to make my eyes pop. pop! not ooglie eyed! Very Happy Laughing

Yes it's very black! I have really dark eyes and deep black is what I need too, I have been using this for about 6-7 years now and love it BabyDoll! Smile Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
llina wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

angel,

Yes it's very black! I have really dark eyes and deep black is what I need too, I have been using this for about 6-7 years now and love it BabyDoll! Smile Smile

thank you beautiful angel! i'm sold! and the smashbox is cheaper than the other brands.

it is waterproof? have you ever worn it in the rain or swimming? sorry for all the questions.

and you have to clean the brush after each use? may have to stock up on brushes.

and once applied you can smudge it for a 'smokey look'?

kisses!

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Yes yes BabyDoll it is quite waterproof once it sets, you have about a minute of smudge time to work with then it SETS! I have been soaked in our down-pouring rain and it stays put until I take it off with make up remover! I have been in my pool with it as well and no problems at all!

BIG HUG! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Yes yes BabyDoll it is quite waterproof once it sets, you have about a minute of smudge time to work with then it SETS! I have been soaked in our down-pouring rain and it stays put until I take it off with make up remover! I have been in my pool with it as well and no problems at all!

BIG HUG! Very Happy

that's awesome! come out of the pool looking like a bond girl. what more can you ask for!
thanks a bunches!

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
llina wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

BIG HUG! Very Happy

that's awesome! come out of the pool looking like a bond girl. what more can you ask for!
thanks a bunches!

It's been a lot of years since I looked like a Bond Girl! But my eyeliner looks darn good after a swim. Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

5% products discount

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:07 am      Reply with quote
I've not used the Smashbox gel liners but I can totally recommend the Bobbi Brown gel eye liners. They go on wonderfully smooth and last forever, though they can be removed easily with cleanser.

You only need a tiny bit on the brush and it also doubles up as eye shadow with a bit of blending

From what I've seen they look very similar to the Smashbox gel liners.

I've got black, brown and grey and am planning on getting more colours! Definitely my HG eye liners! Very Happy
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:26 am      Reply with quote
I have super oily eyelids, and the only eyeliner that's not smudged on me is the Geisha ink eyeliner (from http://www.beautymark.ca/products.php?product=3742&set=26 )

No gel eyeliner (I've tried MAC, Stila, Smashbox) has ever lasted on my eyelids, my eyelids sprout oil or something.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:22 am      Reply with quote
I had this mission last October for my son's beach wedding in the Caribbean. Lots of water, sun and crying tears of joy, so I needed a good long-lasting, humidity resistant one.
I tried many on the recommendation of the Sephora professionals, the last being MakeUp Forever Aqua Eyes. Huge waste of money, they smudged and smeared like crazy.
The one that ended up working was Revlon colorstay, believe it or not. Cheap, long-lasting and good colors. I like coco, being blonde. I don't wear dark colors, but this is just color enough.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:57 am      Reply with quote
I second Jules2202 recommendation of the Bobbi Brown gel liners. All the other liners I've tried-- which includes Clinique gel liners, L'Oreal creme liners, Revlon Colorstay automatic pencils & countless other pencils-- eventually smeared to my lower lids.

One cheap & effective thing that keeps my eyeliner in place is to dust a bit of baby powder on my lids before applying.

40 yrs old; Tanaka massage 1x/ day; HF device; retin-a .05%; FE & Carolyn's Facial Fitness every other day; green smoothies; MSM 4000mg/day; NAC 1000mg/day; ALA; Ageless Secret/ Gold combo; FIM lamp; History of Whoo skincare; homemade niacinamide toner
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone! I think I'm sold on the Smashbox Smile

Is a stiff angled brush enough or should I pick something else up?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
HannaLee wrote:
Thanks everyone! I think I'm sold on the Smashbox Smile

Is a stiff angled brush enough or should I pick something else up?

They sell a special flat brush to use with it, you load the liner on and just sort of walk it sideways along the lashline and either allow it to set or smudge depending on the look you are going for. Smile You can check it out at either of these sites,

http://www.smashbox.com/

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P153000

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
UPDATE

Today was my first day wearing the Smashbox jet set waterproof eyeliner. I was mainly debating between the Smashbox ($27) and the Mac Fluidline ($1Cool. The price difference is significant, but the SB does give you slightly more product.

Since I had a sephora giftcard and their amazing return policy, I decided to try the Smashbox. It actually stayed all day!! I have asian eyes, so even my waterproof pencil liners would smear within half an hour onto my lower lids, and within an hour or two, they'd be faded gray. Usually I don't even try to do my lower lashline, but decided to put the Smashbox to the ultimate test.

I haven't tried washing it off yet, which seems to be some people's complaint (that it stays on TOO well), but I'll see how it goes. It was fairly warm out, and I was doing a lot of running around so my forehead has quite the 'glow' but my eyeliner is just the same as this morning!

So far, so good...but i am still curious about the Mac fluidline since its nearly $10 cheaper (but I'd rather pay more if its not as great!)
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 01, 2010 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Like AnnieR I also use Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner. I use liner everyday and need a liner that stays put. Revlon Colorstay does the job and it is inexpensive. I use it on both the upper & lower eye lids (just the finest line on the bottom which I thin out even further with a wet Q-tip) and it never leaves me with raccoon eyes. I have tried numerous eye pencils over the years and waterproof or not they always bleed, smudge and wear off - I gave up on pencil liners long ago.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
A question for the eyeliner girls: Have any of you used eyeshadow for liner and what medium did you combine with?
I have a lovely shadow color (recommended by a dear poster on here mmmwwwa) and have been using with water which does work - buuuttt... my lids are more on the oily side and I think there may be something that will work better than water???maybe???

I've seen the products from Paula Dorf, etc - I think they are called transformers (not the kids toy Laughing but a liquid product to use in place of water)

Has anyone tried these and what experiences have you had with using shadow as liner?

thanks

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 04, 2010 5:15 am      Reply with quote
Gel - hands down!

I've tried them all in attempts to find one that doesn't budge but is easy to put on. Waterproof pencils are RARELY waterproof!

Bobbi Brown have great gel eyeliners that have gorgeous colours and is easy to work with.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 04, 2010 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
A question for the eyeliner girls: Have any of you used eyeshadow for liner and what medium did you combine with?
I have a lovely shadow color (recommended by a dear poster on here mmmwwwa) and have been using with water which does work - buuuttt... my lids are more on the oily side and I think there may be something that will work better than water???maybe???

I've seen the products from Paula Dorf, etc - I think they are called transformers (not the kids toy Laughing but a liquid product to use in place of water)

Has anyone tried these and what experiences have you had with using shadow as liner?

thanks

I had been wondering the same thing, so when I was in Sephora today I asked the same salesgirl who had recommended the SB Jet Set since her opinion seemed along the lines of what I was looking for.

I forget the name of it now, but its a product made by Make Up Forever and its designed to be added to powders to make them into liquid makeup. It comes in a bottle that looks like eye drops.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 04, 2010 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.temptalia.com/creamgel-eyeliner-the-best-of-the-best

Thought this may be helpful for everyone too!

I went and tried the Mac Fluidline today as well, so I'll report back once I've let my eyelids get nice and oily Smile

As for the Smashbox, I didn't even really need to use makeup remover. It came off with my normal cleanser (Philosophy)

I still want to look into the Stila Smudgepots...then I'll be done

While I'm currently loving the Smashbox, I have a neurotic personality...so I must ensure I've ruled out anything better!!
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 11:22 am      Reply with quote
So I did my experiment today...Smashbox Waterproof Jet Set on my left lid, and Mac Fluidline on my right eye. Both were black (SB Midnight Black and Mac Blacktrack)...

So its midday now, and I'd say colourwise they're still the same. They've both sliiiightly faded since morning, but they're both quite black (especially compared to the so-called waterproof pencils I was used to wearing)

Application: (I used the same brush, a stiff angled one by MAC...not sure its number since it came in one of their holiday brush collections)
Mac was definitely more of a gel, SB was more of a creamier texture, but I'd still classify it as a gel.
Mac was easier to apply, it was more liquid like. It reminds me of those inks people use to write on tablets or something. It also took longer to dry.
I could line my entire upper lid with one stroke as it didn't drag, but I needed 2 coats to get the same black intensity as one layer of SB.
SB goes on dark immediately, and dries really quickly (but I can still easily correct flaws without leaving a gray cast around my eyes). One coat is enough, but each dip of the brush only does about half an upper lid for me.

Smudges:
So they're both slightly less intense than this morning, but they still look equal.
The Smashbox hasn't budged at all. The little wing I drew this morning is the same intensity as the rest of the upper lid.
The Mac has some transfer to my lower lid giving me a slight racoon eye, the wing is more faded than the rest of the upper lid.

Overall:
I still like the Mac, but the SB has much better staying power. The only other factor to consider is that the SB was $27 vs Mac which was $18...I'm not debating if the SB is THAT much better to justify keeping it...
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 11:57 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

thanks

Sister, I use eyeshadow as liner. For my top lid, I can just apply the shadow as-is, using a thin but stiff brush and wiggling at very base of lashes. No problems with staying power.

On my lower lids, straight shadow has minimal longevity for me. I usually use an eyeliner pencil or liquid eyeliner to draw a thin line then use the shadow to get smokey smudge. I will say, however, that my use of shadow arose out of the fact that I coudn't get any staying power with the pencil given how oily lower lids were. Using the shadow was just a way to provide 'absorbancy'. I then later tried with liquid liner with the shadow which provided even more staying power, however, it's harder to soften the look.

As a side note, Revlon used to sell a shadow that was meant to be mixed with water if you so desired, and I really liked it. Sadly, they have discontinued the product but I have seen some of it being sold on ebay and others that specialize in selling discontinued products.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
i like the eyeliner pencil from zosimos botanicals. a good tip from keeping eyeliner from smudging is to apply a layer of rice powder with a small foundation brush all around the eye area before applying eye makeup. once you're done, do another dusting of rice powder under the bottom of your eyes. i use the tinted rice powder from adorned with grace. i also use urban decay primer potion on the upper lids but that is mostly to keep eyeshadow on, i don't think it has an effect on my eyeliner, i never apply it close enough.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 07, 2010 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

thanks

Sister, I use eyeshadow as liner. For my top lid, I can just apply the shadow as-is, using a thin but stiff brush and wiggling at very base of lashes. No problems with staying power.

On my lower lids, straight shadow has minimal longevity for me. I usually use an eyeliner pencil or liquid eyeliner to draw a thin line then use the shadow to get smokey smudge. I will say, however, that my use of shadow arose out of the fact that I coudn't get any staying power with the pencil given how oily lower lids were. Using the shadow was just a way to provide 'absorbancy'. I then later tried with liquid liner with the shadow which provided even more staying power, however, it's harder to soften the look.

As a side note, Revlon used to sell a shadow that was meant to be mixed with water if you so desired, and I really liked it. Sadly, they have discontinued the product but I have seen some of it being sold on ebay and others that specialize in selling discontinued products.

its_kristy What brush do you use?

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |