Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hair Help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Right, I'm seriously fed up with my hair. Its long, very fine, slightly wavy and I have it coloured damson every 8 weeks ( also cut every 8 weeks).

My problem is its very lank, lifeless and boring. Its getting greasy very very quickly ( I have to wash it everyday). If I straighten it, its wavy by the time I get to work, if I scrunch it, its like rats tails!

I switch between Aveda madder root shampoo, and John Frieda, VO5, etc. I've not put conditioner on for the last week or so and still its made no difference....

I'm seriously fed up with my hair....any suggestions?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:59 am      Reply with quote
pERHAPS a visit to a very good hairdresser whom one can recommend for you? Sometimes a different hairdresser can help you see the difference from your regular hairdresser because of experience(s) with other clients.

If they suggest to cut/trim a bit short - shoulder length or bob cut - would you go for it? Wish I could help you more other than a totally new hairstyle that will be a big decision you might have to think about?
Good Luck!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
kerastase is a great line of hair products and they have lots of specialty lines for fine or dry/damaged/greasy (basically every kind of hair type/problem) hair. I love this stuff! Smile
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Suzanne...

I found that Redken AllSoft Heavy Cream conditioner is really good at smoothing out the frizzies. Also, as I've said here several times, my new H2Pro straightening iron is the best I've ever used. Made a world of difference in my hair. I also use Nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy, but that is because it corrects flakey scalp, which you probably don't need.

Having said that, I wonder if your problem might not need some nutrient correction. Sometimes hormone imbalance can cause the oiliness or the dryness. For dry hair, I usually recommend taking essential fatty acids, such as flax seed or fish oil. I never seem to have oily hair so I don't know what to recommend for that.

JUDY

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
To help decreasing the grease produced by the hair follicles, I found using Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo really helps!! It's minty and gives the scalp a tingling sensation, very invigorating... leaving hair soft, bouncy and freshly clean... Smile
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
moshimoshi wrote:
To help decreasing the grease produced by the hair follicles, I found using Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo really helps!! It's minty and gives the scalp a tingling sensation, very invigorating... leaving hair soft, bouncy and freshly clean... Smile

Maybe the Nioxin I use has some of the same ingredients because it smells minty and makes the scalp tingle. My hairdresser started me on it.

JUDY

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Judy,
I'm almost outta Paul Mitchell's... Maybe I'll venture a bit and try the Nioxin one you use... Do you have the full name of the product??!!
Thanx Smile
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
It's called Nioxin Cleanser (that's the shampoo) and I also use Nioxin Scalp Therapy. I don't have dandruff or anything, but just dry little flakes that will drop on your shoulder like dandruff. I can't stand that so I use the Nioxin. Mad

Interestingly enough, my hairdresser told me that quite a few women who live in this area have that problem. I think it's because we live at the lake and most of us have wells for our water. The water here has a high lime content and that makes the water very hard.

Until I got a water softener, it was coating my dishwasher and etching my glassware, so I guess it's not unusual that it would cause dry scalp on my head. Laughing

I cleanse with the cleanser, then use the scalp therapy while I'm washing my body and let it stay on for about 4 or 5 minutes. After that, I use Redken AllSoft Heavy Cream conditioner for smoothing my hair.

I color my hair, but when the grey is beginning to show, those are very fuzzy if I don't condition them properly. Confused

Sorry I can't fill you in on the price, I just bought it to solve the problem and didn't even look at the cost. I don't think it's particularly out of line with other salon products. Ask your hairdresser for samples of Nioxin. When mine first recommended it to me, she gave me about 4 bottles of samples and it lasted me several months before I had to buy the full size. Very Happy

JUDY

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:13 am      Reply with quote
I Nioxin! I love the minty feeling of it in summer, but most importantly I can see a decrease in the number of hairs that fall out on a daily basis when I use Nioxin (i.e. I lose much less hair).
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:46 am      Reply with quote
Right you've convinced me, I'm off at lunchtime, armed with my visa card to get Nioxin and Paul Mitchell!!!

I've been growing my hair for so long, I'm to frightened to get it cut....I've always had long hair but never as long as it is now...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:29 am      Reply with quote
Gucci -

Aveda Madder Root shampoo -- that's one of those red color enhancing shampoos, right? (I use the Anatto.) I know you said your hair is lank and lifeless so you've been skipping conditioner, but I just wanted to tell you that on the days you use the color enhancing shampoo that you absolutely MUST follow it with a good conditioner!! This is because all color enhancing shampoos or conditioners are super-drying to the hair simply by virtue of the fact that they contain dye/pigment. You wouldn't dye your hair every two months and not follow it with a conditioner, right? Same principle applies. Even though the color enhancing shampoos are not as drying/damaging as pure hairdye, they can do a number on your hair. So even though you can get by without condition on other days, please use one on the Madder Root shampoo day or you could inadvertently make your hair woes worse! Now, if I'm mistaken and the Madder Root shampoo isn't a color enhancing one, please ignore my lecture! Embarassed

BTW, I think Dabawenya62's suggestion that perhaps you might want to think about a different haircut/style has a lot of merit...unless, of course, you're one of those ladies who is completely "married" to your long hair and would never think of cutting it! Wink The thing is that a lot of women with fine hair wear it long because they think that there really isn't any other option for their hair type, but the truth is that short (or, at least, short-er) hair can be a great way to go for gals with fine hair -- even more so with you because you said your hair has a bit of texture (slightly wavy). Man, I wish you lived near me so I could give you a real "consultation" about your hair and show you pictures of haircuts/styles that might suit you...even just a few strategic layers could help to give your hair some "life" and make it not so "boring"!

One more thing: I'm probably too late to save your Visa card from getting a workout, but did you know that adding a few drops of tea-tree oil to your fave bottle of shampoo is a cheaper alternative to purchasing the Paul Mitchell Tea-Tree Special Shampoo? Just a little helpful hint for those of you out there who are more budget-conscious! At least then, maybe you'd only have to buy the Nioxin stuff rather than both....

That's just my two cents -- for whatever it's worth....
Carrie
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Carrie...THANK YOU!!!!! Laughing

You made alot of sense, yes the madder root shampoo is colour enhancing, its red in colour!! I didnt get out this lunchtime as the secretary who covers me was off, so I didnt get a lunch....

I've got tea tree oil at home so am going to add a few drops of that in the morning when I shampoo and I will use a conditioner tomorrow!!

I am frightened at having my hair cut, its been long since I was little. I love the damson colour and deep red highlights I have in every 8 weeks and wouldnt change them for the world. My hairdresser did put a few layers in my hair a while ago and i'm in the middle of growing out my fringe ( just leaving a wispy fringe). She did suggest to me about having it cut to shoulder length with layers and then having it kind of messy!!!!..but I'm to firghtened!!!!...

Thanks for your help!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
I Nioxin! I love the minty feeling of it in summer, but most importantly I can see a decrease in the number of hairs that fall out on a daily basis when I use Nioxin (i.e. I lose much less hair).

Same here Mabsy. I definitely think that the scalp treatment by Nioxin would help reduce hairloss because of making the scalp more healthy.

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Suzanne...

I can definitely relate to the fear of cutting your hair. Right now mine is in a bob right about at jaw length. I look at more layered styles, but am having a hard time making that decision. Styling it is so easy this way, although I really do think that a shorter, more layered do would give my face more of a lifted look. Smile

Problem is, when you get your hair layered, so often it looks like a "little old lady" hairdo. I know there are hip layered styles, and my hairdresser is excellent, but once you cut those layers in, if you don't like it, it takes so long to grow it out. Confused

However, I'm thinking of taking the plunge this Friday! Shock Going to the hairdresser with 3 hairstyle books in hand with pictures, knowing that there will be a serious consultation before I let her cut. Best thing about my hairdresser (besides being really good) is that she really listens to me and doesn't try to push me into something that I may not be comfortable with.

JUDY

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Judy Marshall wrote:
Right now mine is in a bob right about at jaw length. I look at more layered styles, but am having a hard time making that decision. Styling it is so easy this way, although I really do think that a shorter, more layered do would give my face more of a lifted look.
Judy - have you seen any of the new bob haircuts that are designed with layers? I have some hair magazine photos I could mail you to look at. Some of them are simply gorgeous!! Almost enough to give me the willpower to grow my short hair out enough so that I could have one of the layered bobs myself but I don't have the patience to go thru one of those long growing-out periods even though my hair grows pretty quickly (approx 1 1/2 inch per month)....Anyway, the point is: I think you should go for it!!! A angled layers added into a bob can really freshen up your whole look, and it really shouldn't add any additional styling time to your routine. I was hoping I could find you some pics online of the layered bob cut/style I'm talking about, but I ran out of time. I did find this article which talks about a chin-length bob with layers and how versatile it can be but unfortunately they didn't include a photo of the "finished" product, but it might give you an idea anyway.

Be sure to let us know if you decide to take the plunge! And if you could post a photo of yourself, even better! I love to see before & after shots of ladies with new haircuts....

Good luck Smile
Carrie
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Carrie....

The layered bob is just what I have pictures of to take to my stylist on Friday.

One thing I do know is that in the layered bobs, 90% of the deal is using the right products, like hair wax or roughpaste to get light volume and that messy look that takes so much work to perfect. Laughing I really think it's ironic that we take more time getting a messy, just got out of bed look than we do getting a smooth look. Laughing

Will keep everyone posted on my "transformation"

JUDY

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |