Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Go Smile Touch Up Smile Perfecting Ampoules 30 Count - Green Apple (30 ampoules) DDF Bio-Moisture Eye Serum (14 g / 0.5 oz) RevitaLash Simply Stunning Lashes (2 items)
Why am I breaking out after laser resurfacing?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skitahoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
This is my second time I've done laser resurfacing. Both times I tend to break out after the peel. I can feel that the breakouts are deep and quickly want to come to the surface.

Am I breaking out because of the Aquaphor (which I then quickly switched to Biafine the second time), a great amount of sunscreen and reapplying on my face, or because the peel peeled away layers of skin and the breakout was already there, it just is now closer to the surface, ready to come out?

Does this happen to anyone or just me?

Thoughts appreciated!
naelivia
5% products discount

Sat May 01, 2010 12:05 am      Reply with quote
It actually happens to a lot of people, though that doesn't mean nothing's wrong. Some people actually end up with permanent scars.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 01, 2010 5:22 am      Reply with quote
What type of laser? I think is common with resurfacing. Personally I would use plain vaseline or polysporin If you do this again you could ask to be prescribed antibiotics prior to help prevent and help heal any breakouts since you cant use any topical treatment products.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 01, 2010 6:29 am      Reply with quote
I broke out horribly after the first one so before the second one, my doc started me on antibiotics.
I took them for 6 weeks after, but then i started to break out so they put me on them till after my 6 month mark.
It is very common to break out as everything is coming from deep down to the surface. That is what I was told by 3 docs about.
I used the aquaphor for the first couple of weeks, best thing for my skin and then the biafine. The doctor said it will not break you out like Vaseline, but is rich enough to hydrate and heal, then we switched to TNS hydrating lotion.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 01, 2010 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
There's lots of reasons why you could be having acne post-laser.

One is the creams, because they are very occlusive and thus can trigger acne.

In addition your skin barrier is weakened so it's not as protected by infections so bacterias can go into the pores and do disasters!

After laser resurfacing your skin starts peeling quite a bit and those dry cells can go and clog pores.

I don't know what your doctor told you but you should really get treatment for it and not wait till it passes.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
laserbound

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I had fractional co2 laser done 4.5 days ago for acne scars and sun damage. I was instructed to use Aquaphor and Cetaphil cleanser, to clean and reapply 3 times a day for the first 3-4 days. I was to liberally apply Aquaphor. I also started on Keflex antibiotics 1 day prior to the procedure. On day two I saw little white pustules surfacing all over my face. I freaked out, called my doctor and he suggested moving to Cetaphil moisture lotion or to try Biafine. Day three, full blown acne and beginning of cysts. I requested a prescription of Biafine and used Cetaphil moisturizer while I waited for the Biafine. It is starting to clear up a little but I am not happy. Here is my perspective. First, doctors should never recommend Aquaphor to patients with a history of acne. I am not clear on why doctors don't automatically prescribe Biafine for everyone that is having ablative laser skin resurfacing. Second, if you break out with pimples do not under any circumstances touch the pimples.Let them live and resolve on their own. Any interference will likely result in some scarring. With that said, if you already picked or popped some, stop and hopefully the Biafine will help to diminish the damage.I agree with what everone has said in this forum, the breakouts are probably a combination of bacteria under the skin, the damage to the epidermis removing a barrier of protection from the bacteria, and the use of cheap petroleum based occlusive ointments that block the hair follicles.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Bioelements All Things Pure Cleanser (103 ml / 3.5 floz) glominerals Trio Collection (3 items) RevitaLash Simply Stunning Lashes (2 items)