Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is this?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
htian21
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
The skin of my face has become very rough, sand-paper like texture lately. I used to have very smooth skin. The causes I can think of are either sun exposure(recent trip involved lots of driving under sun although I did apply SPF 28 sunscreen everyday), seasonal allergy or reaction to new skincare product. Can someone advise me what could be the trigger and the solution to it? Thanks a million.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
I think it will be hard for anyone to say what is going on for sure. I'd definitely stop using any new products and see if you skin returns to normal.
htian21
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
I actually had this even before I tried new products. So I guess it is most likely not because of the reaction to the new skincare. But I agree with you, I should stay away trying anything new before skin returns to its healthy state.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know what it is, but I am having the same thing happen right under my jaw and 1-2 patches on my face. Rough, sandpaper feel. Very odd. If you figure anything out, please post!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I don't know what it is, but I am having the same thing happen right under my jaw and 1-2 patches on my face. Rough, sandpaper feel. Very odd. If you figure anything out, please post!

That's so odd I first thought about the Wonderbar reaction reading the first post. You stopped that a while ago though didn't you Riley? hmm I wonder if the overabundance of pollen this year could be causing skin issues along with all the other allergy miseries?? Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

That's so odd I first thought about the Wonderbar reaction reading the first post. You stopped that a while ago though didn't you Riley? hmm I wonder if the overabundance of pollen this year could be causing skin issues along with all the other allergy miseries?? Rolling Eyes

Yes, I did stop the wonderbar a while ago, plus I only used it on my neck 1-2 times. This sandpaper feel is exactly what I experienced on the WB though.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Yes, I did stop the wonderbar a while ago, plus I only used it on my neck 1-2 times. This sandpaper feel is exactly what I experienced on the WB though.

That's what's making me think some sort of irritant for you both? This is quite strange indeed! Question

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

That's what's making me think some sort of irritant for you both? This is quite strange indeed! Question

Well, I went back over my skin care and I did start a new cleanser that I have been using twice a day. I normally only wash at night, and just use water in the morning. It has french green clay in it! I don't get it on my neck though, and that is where the majority of my sandpaper feel is. I think I will back off to only once a day and see if that helps or not.
htian21
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
I thought of pollen too, but then why only on face not anywhere else?
Does it sound like some sort of sunburn reactions? I know my skin can be quite sensitive to sun.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
htian21 wrote:
I thought of pollen too, but then why only on face not anywhere else?
Does it sound like some sort of sunburn reactions? I know my skin can be quite sensitive to sun.

I don't think it sounds like any sunburn reaction I have ever heard of. Maybe the face and neck reaction because the skin is more sensitive? This really has me shooting in the dark!?! Question

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 12:20 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if this applies, but when I react to a shampoo I have this sort of irritation. The back of the neck and around the hair line are the worst areas, but sometimes the reaction migrates to my face. I can even react a week or two after starting to use the new shampoo. It is the same for conditioner. I use Pantene, and decided to switch from "moisturizing" to "Ice Shine". Wow, was I ever sorry.
tikiandbabu
5% products discount

Sat May 22, 2010 6:05 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure how old you are, but hormonal changes can have this affect on the skin.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi. That is too bad about your skin. I wonder if the spf 28 was high enough and if when you were travelling your diet changed a bit. If you stayed in hotels maybe the pillowcases were rough or a harsh detergent was used. Just some thoughts. Has your skin settled down and are you using a good and gentle moisturizer. HTH Harriet
rhea
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Do you try to do a row Mask? The skin oils are the most important condition to make the skin smooth
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
rhea wrote:
Do you try to do a row Mask? The skin oils are the most important condition to make the skin smooth

What is a row mask, rhea?

My situation is getting worse. Tonight, I used just jojoba oil to cleanse my skin and my chin, temples, and under the jaw are full of flakes. I have no idea what is going on!
gossamerwings
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
rhea wrote:

What is a row mask, rhea?

My situation is getting worse. Tonight, I used just jojoba oil to cleanse my skin and my chin, temples, and under the jaw are full of flakes. I have no idea what is going on!

I had dermatitis recently (per-oral). Only around my mouth had the rash, the rest of my face was dry and flaking constantly. It was so icky, I'd brush the hair back from my face, and flakes would fall off my face like dandruff!

Anyhow, my dermatologist prescribed anti-biotic to help clear it up, but suggested the culprit was oily cleansers and asked that I back off of ponds cold cream forever, and emu oil until it cleared up. He said to take a few days off retin-a, too since it was an irritant. Well, it was the ponds, and the emu oil was exasperating it, but, after going off of all oil and using nothing on my face but cerave cleanser for four days (and a honey mask), it completely healed. I am now using everything I was before, just no ponds.

Are you using something oily based???
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
gossamerwings wrote:

Are you using something oily based???

I wasn't until tonight, when I used the jojoba oil! Yikes, maybe that was a bad choice.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Ok. I may have found what is causing my skin to act up. I have just been informed that my water softener was not working for the entire week and only today has been fixed. I am wondering if that could have something to do with my flaking?
gossamerwings
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Would it also mean chlorine exposure? Does the softener filter chlorine as well? If so, I think its possible.

I don't think the oil you used last night would hurt, I am just not sure it would *help*. I had to go cold turkey, then slowly introduce stuff. One of the first things I reintroduced, btw, was retin-a because it seems to make the flakies wanna go faster!
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Ok. I may have found what is causing my skin to act up. I have just been informed that my water softener was not working for the entire week and only today has been fixed. I am wondering if that could have something to do with my flaking?

Hard water will definitely make your skin feel drier and flake more, even effect the texture of your skin. At least that has been my experience.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Well water (without the water softener) is loaded with mineral deposits that could easily react with skin care products, and just aggravate the skin. I lived with a well up north and without the softener you get major lime build up on everything including you, hair and skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Darkmoon, would that be the case even if I have a water treatment system? I have the 2 part system, and only the softener wasn't working, but the treatment part should have filtered out all the nasty things?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Darkmoon, would that be the case even if I have a water treatment system? I have the 2 part system, and only the softener wasn't working, but the treatment part should have filtered out all the nasty things?

I think yes the softener takes care of the mineral deposits from rocks while the treatment portion filters out bacteria ect. The deposits are most likely what caused your skin to react, perms and coloring on hair require hard water deposits to be removed first or it throws the chemicals all out of whack. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Well, thanks everyone. I think I have found what has been causing my problem then!

Good luck to you htian. I hope you figure out what is causing problems for you!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Well, thanks everyone. I think I have found what has been causing my problem then!

Good luck to you htian. I hope you figure out what is causing problems for you!

Ditto htian I hope you get yours sorted out and soon!

Keep us posted Riley, I want to know yours has cleared up as well! Smile

Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |