Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shampoo recommendations?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
So... here's the deal:

My mom's 65 (I think). She has very thick oily hair.

She dyes her hair with henna, and has done so for a long time.

Lately her henna wears out (i.e. fades) very quickly and her hair looks very dull. She switched shampoos and can't find the one she was using.

Do you have any recommendations?? I can't see my mom with that hair anymore!

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Where is she getting her henna?

I like juice organics...$8.00

I've just started some shampoo bars... so far so good... but too early to "recommend"...

She could Condition only...

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 11:31 am      Reply with quote
I recommend AESOP Sage Scalp Cleansing, conditioning the scalp it can really make the scalp healthy, hair product I think the hair cream LUSH very natural, not physical harm, my mother also used this
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Something sulfate free, lots of choices at the drugstore: ABBA, L'oreal, Organix, etc.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 12:13 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

Mmm... the pharmacy? I don't know! Are there different "types" of henna?

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 12:22 am      Reply with quote
Yes... different types of henna... chances are, if she bought it in a pharm. It's not JUST HENNA, but rather, henna with chemicals (I think a metal... I can't remember)... and if she were to color her hair with real hair color, her hair would basically melt. (chem. reaction). Not so with pure henna... I can AND HAVE used hair color over the top...

If she were coloring with pure henna, her hair would be really soft, silky, not drying out. It probably wouldn't fade, because, unlike hair color, it continues to get darker. (although, if she mixed indigo... indigo can fade.)

I would recommend that you research at http://www.hennaforhair.com I'm NO WHERE near an expert... they KNOW their stuff there!

And have only been using henna for the last 6 months... and getting the right color as I don't want to have ORANGE hair, I've been working very hard to get the right mix of henna and indigo for my color.

I'd see if she would switch...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 4:55 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

I like juice organics...$8.00

I've just started some shampoo bars... so far so good... but too early to "recommend"...

She could Condition only...

I was just looking at the juice organics hair. Do you use it? The brightning one or pomegranate?
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I use Brightening... smells like Oranges/citrus

I would use the pom... but the smell just doesn't do anything for me.

It's a really nice shampoo... and sooooo cheap!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 27, 2010 7:49 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Yes... different types of henna... chances are, if she bought it in a pharm. It's not JUST HENNA, but rather, henna with chemicals (I think a metal... I can't remember)... and if she were to color her hair with real hair color, her hair would basically melt. (chem. reaction). Not so with pure henna... I can AND HAVE used hair color over the top...

If she were coloring with pure henna, her hair would be really soft, silky, not drying out. It probably wouldn't fade, because, unlike hair color, it continues to get darker. (although, if she mixed indigo... indigo can fade.)

I would recommend that you research at http://www.hennaforhair.com I'm NO WHERE near an expert... they KNOW their stuff there!

And have only been using henna for the last 6 months... and getting the right color as I don't want to have ORANGE hair, I've been working very hard to get the right mix of henna and indigo for my color.

I'd see if she would switch...

Thank you so much for pointing me to that website... I've been learning (and shopping) a lot!

I asked my mom and she uses "Colora Henna powder" which seems not to have any additives besides some other plants (e.g. beetroot, indigo, etc.).

But I still bought some henna, cassia and indigo to make a mix and try it... it seems that at least it will be better quality henna.

puppysha
5% products discount

Mon May 31, 2010 12:08 am      Reply with quote
you could try the phyto shampoo or Rene Furterer no.5 oil
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 31, 2010 2:24 am      Reply with quote
I really like Dessert Essence conditioner, it makes your hair shiny w jojoba oil.

Shampoo..a natural one without silicone that has natural oils,
I can not think of any now.

I know the A vogel vitaminco, they mailedme a flyerfor some kind of natural hair color that is made in italy.
I forget the name but it is on their website.

If yourmom wantedto use somewhat chemical hair colors Goldwell makes temporary color mousse,
don't think it covers greys butmakes hair shiny.

It is not a retail product,so not sure how you can get it (I can buy salon products locally though....

or for a dye treatment Sebastian has a line called Colourshines and it is a shine treatment that lasts up to a month.
I usedto buy the clear one and you can put it over hair colour,

You can not get it in a store andI know most salons do clear treatments of that.
I used to buy the full bottles of that lineto do at home,but it is kindof annoying as you need a high heat dryer.
Also the 200 or250 ml(iforget) bottle used to be around $60-70 but was around 6 treatments for me.

I know a little about hair colours and treatments because the salon/store I shop at is very good.
I usually do my own base colors and just go to the salon for the more complicated shades.

Embarassingly,I have tonsof conditioners here,I have quite long and very thirsty hair!

Giovanni is also a very nice line that is affordable.
I just saw vitacost is selling the 60ml sizes of thatbrand very cheap.
I do not have that selection here,so am super tempted to get miniatures of their whole line
Embarassed
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 31, 2010 9:43 am      Reply with quote
my mother and i also have been applying henna to our hair for years. we prefer using the more natural brands of shampoo. I have a super oily scalp (which henna helps) and use Jason shampoos. be careful of the formula you choose because some have harsh surfactants. i use the aloe vera, jojoba or henna formulations. i also like the shampoo from the Shikai line.

My mother has drier hair and she uses Hugo Naturals shampoo.

I find the most moisturizing conditioner to be from Nature's Gate. I have used Desert Essence Organics conditioners in the past, the grape and apple versions smell divine but i found that hair absorbs the conditioner and end up using too much, it wasn't economical.

we buy all our shampoos online at vitacost.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 31, 2010 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
I've been dyeing my hair with henna and I love it! I purchase mine from mehandi.com.

It hasn't really faded much. My latest fave shampoo is by Millcreek Botanicals. I use the henna or keratin one. It's only $7 at whole foods.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |