Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lightening / Whitening / whats all this ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Soki
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Are lightening products only to be used by people with pigmentation OR for overall fairness regime.
Its confusing these days.
Esp. when all the asian want to be fairer .
What products are recommended for a fairer skin tone ?
My worry is - Are these products harmful to the skin? they might contain pretty strong chemicals ???
Caspers Mum

Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Many Asian women are concerned with maintaining clear complexions, as they are prone to having trouble with melanin deposits ("dark spots"). There are many products on the market that help reduce these, and prevent them from happening. Some of these contain an ingredient called hydroquinone, others use plant derived ingredients such as Kojic Acid.

Hydroquinone, in small percentages, is an effective, safe ingredient to use. However, some people with more sensitive skin find this ingredient irritating to their skin, and opt to use something with other properties (i.e. Phyto+ Corrective Gel).

These products are not meant to WHITEN the skin, but brighten it, and help with melasma. One cannot change the color of their skin! If a person is trying to achieve a radient, luminous complexion, these products are ideal, as well as dedicated use of a sunblock EVERY day.Smile Boosting the brightness can be done cosmetically, with a product such as Dermalogica's Day Bright.

And from a make-up artist's perspective ... ladies, please don't think that using a lighter shade of foundation will make you look more fair. It tends to look really artificial, more like Japanese Kabuki (theatre) make-up. Really, really bad!Sad Your foundation ought to disappear into the jawline, so that it is not different than the tone of your neck. Embrace your natural beauty, skintone, and ethnicity!Very Happy
Soki
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the feedback, i am much wiser now Very Happy
skinsplurge
5% products discount

Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
From the Asian perspective, I personally have problems that anytime I get a scratch or a pimple, it heals into a dark mark. So lightening products are essential spot treatments for me. Overall whitening is something passed down from my mother and grandmother who grew up in a time/place where light skin was a sign of upper class and dark skin meant lower class since they had to work in the fields. Getting a tan was out of the question for me. There's a huge debate over long term use of hydroquinone and kojic acid. Some in Asia don't allow hydroquinone saying it's bad for you, while some say kojic acid is bad in other ways. I'm allergic to most chemicals so I use natural products. For overall brightening I've gotten the best results from vitamin C products.
esq
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
I am in my late twenties and I find that I have areas on my skin that are slightly sscared from blemishes. Would the lightening brightening products help with these? And what would you recommend?
Mabsy

Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:19 am      Reply with quote
I don't really have a problem with blemishes leaving a darker mark but I find that Dermalogica Micorfoliant is brilliant at brightening and evening out the complexion. By evening out I mean getting rid of post-blemish redness (it eventually goes away but this way it goes away much quicker) and any blotchiness on the skin as well. So I highly recommend the Microfoliant, though, like I said, I don't actually have the exact same problem as you and I am rather pale as well (not sure if that matters but I thought I'd throw that in Smile).

Mabsy
elee123
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:07 am      Reply with quote
I am Asian and my concern is not so much the wrinkle. It's the pigmentation that really bothers me. I have freckles and they get darker in the summer. In the winter, they get lighter and there are fewer of them. I am so desperate to find something that will work for me. I used HQ product (OBAGI) for 6 months and the result is really good. However, I have been reading the forum and found out that HQ is bad for the liver. So that got me a bit worried and I had stopped using it. Now the brown spots/freckles are starting to come back.
I am so frustrated. I am trying to find other product with natural ingredients that might work for me and it takes time for any product to work.
vpmiyu
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:03 am      Reply with quote
I used the Shiseido Whitess Essence 2x/day with a light whitening sunscreen (UV White or Pond's Whitening products), and it seemed to work pretty well to lighten melasma and freckles. I saw excellent results within 2 months or so. It's not like all the freckles disappear, but a lot of the unattractive dark shading on my cheeks were reduced, some of it permanently. People actually commented on my skin - I am not very dark or mottled to begin with, I have a fair Asian skin tone.

I stopped using it because I got lazy, but had I continued to use it my skin would look so much brighter. I'll start using it again soon but I'm just so preoccupied with my eye wrinkles at the moment. *cry*

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
I am asian, and i like whitening/brightening products because they create luminous skin for me. as of now i have no pigmentation problems and i doubt the products (shiseido white lucent, shiseido uv white, dhc alpha arbutin series, pola 1/f series) i use have much effect on freckles and liver spots because they are gentle and not skin bleaches.
vpmiyu
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Re: the shiseido products, mostly their Whitess EX product.

I am not at the age where I would get liver spots yet, so I can't say anything about that. However they did lighten some dark patches under my cheeks (that developed as a result of taking hormones probably) and lighten freckles about 30-40%. I suspect that the Whitess has antioxidants in them... but I have not seen an ingredients list. Their SPF 55 physical sunscreens probably help a lot too, but I haven't tried it yet (I'm still trying to use up the other weaker sunscreen products like UV white).

I have the DHC arbutin powder, and I use it mostly for spot treatments of scars... don't know if it works at all. I'm afraid to use it al over my face.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |