Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What do you guys eat?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Sycamore
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi skincare experts,

I have been very skicare conscious lately after realizing that I started to look saggy. I live in Eastern-Europe so I managed to look a bit younger than my 44 years even before starting this journey, but that is just because in my country most women look older than their ages over 35.

Now I guess I can see improvement, but I am not sure. My main problems are eye circles, a slightly bumpy forhead, NL folds, and some sagging due to weight loss. I have dry skin, I only get pimples when I do something to my skin, that it does not like.

I have tried different methods, potions and some tools for like 3-4 months. About a month ago I realized that I have to change my diet, because eye circles will not go away from drybrushing, rolling and EES, only if I treat them from the inside also.

So, I do not eat dairy, wheat and very little sugar. I read that chicken bone soup is good for the skin, so I eat broth every single day, and put kelp and avocados into it. I eat lots of soy. I know that soy is controversial, but now that I do not drink milk and eat cheese, I need it badly, and I feel that I need its phytoestrogen.

I certainly take supplements. I also drink a cup of herbal tea with peppermint, burdock, lemon balm and echinacea, as I googled herbs that elevate hyaluronic acid in the human body.

I followed the Perricone diet some years ago, but that was too much for me, I do not like salmon that much, and I could not eliminate all starch for long weeks. I missed potatoes and rice.

It is a bit ridiculous beauty regimen, but I guess, I have an improvement in my skin tone, and it is easier to keep my weight this way. I can eat as much as I want and do not gain weight. Although I am not sure, that I can follow this diet for life. I miss cheese.

Ok I just started this thread, because I wonder what others eat in order to look better!
BTW I am a heavy smoker, and I know this ruins almost everything, but I try to reduce the damage with all the beauty foods.

Thanks for reading this.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
My skin tends to look best when I eat minimal amounts of sugar and plenty of green leafy vegetables. So every day a massive salad, or else some greens cooked in a little olive oil with garlic.

I eat dairy, but generally in a fermented form like yogurt or kefir, also a little goats cheese on a salad.

Staying hydrated is key, I think, so I drink water throughout the day, often with a slice of lime or lemon.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Diet is really tough. I think it is all about balance, myself, and I don't eliminate anything. But I think a person can't go wrong eating lots of fruits and vegetables. I am a smoker too so I try to eat the fruits that are high in C. I think fruits and vegetables do more good for ones body than supplements, but that is just me!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
sounds like you are already conscious enough of what you eat in order to make a difference. i agree with rileygirl and tarapaca here--lots of green leafy vegetables, and "dark" vegetables in general--kale, chard, blackberries, etc.
I am noticing some amazing improvements with the regular addition of pumpkin to my diet.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2602/2
It is very anti-inflammatory and contains wonderful nutrients.
I would type in various foods you are curious about intowww.nutritiondata.com and see what foods you need in terms of getting the vitamins and minerals you might be lacking.
I tend to search for the most anti-inflammatory foods so they balance out the other inflammatory foods i might be ingesting during the day (coffee, meat, cheese, etc).

Also, have you seen the thread on green smoothies? i have all but replaced supplements with green smoothies, and they taste and feel excellent. Its a great way to make sure you are getting top nutrition, if you make sure to plan them correctly.

finally, I would recommend adding chia seeds to your diet, which are super-hydrators and draw to and keep water in the cells.

i love eating for health and beauty; it's so simple!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, didn't get back in time to edit my post, but there is a book I have that tells you lots of different foods and what they can do for the skin. It is a good book if you are into that type of thing. It's called "Feed Your Skin, Starve Your Wrinkles" by Allison Tannis.
marycotter5678

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
About 3 months ago, I cut down the majority of my sugar intake, also try to avoid dairy and gluten/wheat.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 am      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for the great replies,

Tarapaca,
The foods you eat are very healthy. I agree that yogurt and kefir are not bad for the skin. But I wonder what you eat to make your stomach full?Smile. All nutrition advice is about super foods, but if you eat only those, you actually starve. Hardly any expert give a sound advice on full diets. Perricone does somehow, but I tend to lose too much weight eating Perricone, and that makes me gaunt again. I get a beautiful saggy skin while eating these healthy foods.

Rileygirl,
You can understand the smoker's skincare * spam alert * dilemma very well then:) I actually quit for 3 years and looked much better, but slept for three years. Smoking is not good, but does something with my brain that I miss. I eat greens a lot, too.

Avalange,
I will order Tannis' book on amazon. I like reading everything about skin diets. Thanks for the pumpkin, I did not know that.
Smmothies, yes. I tried them for a couple of days, I did not see a real difference on my skin though, and it was a bit of a mess, but I should give it another try. I tend to go on with things that give me instant results. Like avocado does.

Marycotter,

Did you see any difference on your skin with your new eating pattern?

Lately I am getting obsessed with HA. It makes skin good. Some foods inhibit the enzyme that breaks it down in the body. Starchy vegetables, kelp, and some herbs. On the other hand some vegetables help the enzyme to break down HA. Interestingly enough lettuce and carrots are among them.

Here are some data about the herbs:
http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/fstr/6/1/6_74/_article

One more thing, I looked the best when I was on the Primal Diet. It is really crazy, you eat only raw, meat included. I glowed, but everybody around me thought I went crazy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 am      Reply with quote
The fruits and vegetables I buy at the farmers' markets don't have any added fruit puree or sugar. I don't think it is possible to gain weight eating a veg/fruit diet. In fact, that is the problem, as Sycamore noted.

I have always been very nutrition conscious, and in the last few years I have almost completely given up dairy (goodbye ice cream!) although I will occasionally use cheese for flavoring in cooking. Instead of having multiple cups of coffee/day, I drink one cup of coffee and then green teas plus lots of water (I have always been a big water drinker, starting with two cups when I first get up.)

I am trying to cut back on grains,but that is really tough, maybe impossible. Being a vegetarian, there is only so much I can sacrifice, and it's hard to subsist on beans and nuts.

So gauntness is a big problem for me and I would love to hear how other vegetarians deal with that.
Sycamore
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Hermosa,

Even if you are not a vegetarian, but you do not eat bad fats, white sugar, refined grains, whole cream and all the things that are bad for you, you will end up looking like a ghost.

I looked up all extreme diets on youtube. Raw vegans are wrinkled usually, the followers of the macrobiotic diet look a tiny bit sick, they are so skinny, those who eat fruits only look the worst.

It is easy to say to eat everything in moderation, but if I eat pork chops with mashed potatoes and drink a half bottle of wine with it, I cannot do it with moderation. I either suspect a skin killing enemy behind every steak and start to starve on strawberries, avocados and salmon, or eat an unhealthy diet.

I started this topic, because I wanted to know how other people handle it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:57 am      Reply with quote
I'm like Riley - I don't eliminate anything from my diet. The only thing I don't eat - are processed foods. I definitely eat tonnes of fruits and veggies (have also added green smoothies lately), lean meats, and complex carbs. I try to avoid simple carbs and dairy, but I do eat ice cream (I LOVE good ice cream) and dark chocolate.
Physically (body) I look good for my age (I also exercise regularly), but my skin is not the best (never was Confused ).

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:30 am      Reply with quote
I tend to eat lots of veggies and fruits. Especially in summer as we have a bunch of fruit trees and wild black raspberry bushes.

I've never been much of a meat eater, but feel I need it for the protein. If I cut it out too much, I feel bad. I do eat fish at least twice a week.

I've been trying to incorporate more tomato paste in my diet. It's supposed to be very good for your skin. I recently tried mixing the chia seed gel with the tomato paste and found it pretty good. Otherwise, the chia gel texture isn't too appealing to me. This mixture has two things that are supposed to be very good for you (at least based on current evidence).

My weaknesses are sweets (especially chocolate) and wine (I usually go with red for the health benefits)
gossamerwings
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I have a horrid diet- you name the junk, I am eating it. I am especially addicted to sugar. I am allergic to caffeine and use sugar as a cheat for quick energy.

However, I exercise vigorously five days a week trying to compensate. My blood pressure and cholesterol are very good.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Shastagirl,
I read it yesterday that tomato paste is good for sun protection, but did you notice any other effects on your skin?
According to the article a couple of people were fed some tomato paste daily for weeks, and got better skin than the control group. I do not like it that much without pasta though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
OMG, I LOVE tomato paste and/or pure. I could eat it with a spoon (been like that since I was a kid Embarassed ).

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Sycamore wrote:
I do not like it that much without pasta though.

Me, too! I read about that and promptly went out and bought cans of tomato paste. Tried to eat is on crackers, bread, anything and I just could not stomach it!
snowymtn
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I love tomato paste too! I read somewhere that if you eat half a can per day in addition to antioxidant benefits you can also get a small natural spf of 2-4 or something like that.

Its also great as a salad dressing take a few spoonfuls of tomato paste, add balsamic vinegar, some EVOO, and a small amount of chopped garlic or shallot, it's sooo good!

Those of you who eat pumpkin, are you eating it from a can? What do you eat it with?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Pumpkin can be mixed into *anything*. It is really good added to chili- you don't even taste it. Anything spicey will absorb the pumpkin flavor completely. I love to add it to brownies, too. Chocolate also absorbs the flavor.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Sycamore wrote:
Shastagirl,
I read it yesterday that tomato paste is good for sun protection, but did you notice any other effects on your skin?
According to the article a couple of people were fed some tomato paste daily for weeks, and got better skin than the control group. I do not like it that much without pasta though.

I can't say I've noticed anything so far. Plus I've been a little inconsistent in eating it daily. I figure it can't really hurt. I also heard that it is good for sun protection.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Sycamore wrote:
I do not like it that much without pasta though.

Me, too! I read about that and promptly went out and bought cans of tomato paste. Tried to eat is on crackers, bread, anything and I just could not stomach it!

Have you tried putting a little olive oil and garlic powder/salt mixed in with the tomato paste? I heard mention that one of the skin studies mixed it with olive oil and I have to say that it does make it taste better. I didn't think it would make that much difference. I'm going to try it with a little balsamic vinegar as well! Kinda like brushetta, which I like.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
For those of you interested in learning more about the tomato paste/skin connection, here are a couple of good articles:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7370759.stm

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/aicr_skincare.html

http://www.sixwise.com/Newsletters/2008/August/20/Lycopene-The-Other-Benefits-Tomato-Antioxidant.htm

Most of the articles reference the same University of Manchester study, which was pretty small.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
A much more palatable way for many people to get lycopene is watermelon, which is naturally rich in lycopene (about 40% of the amount in cooked tomatoes on a per calorie basis). Watermelon is rich in the cis version of lycopene, so it does not need to be cooked to make it more bio-available (c.f., tomatoes are richer in the trans form of lycopene, so what cooking does it change the shape of the molecule into the cis form, which is more bio-available).

Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:

Have you tried putting a little olive oil and garlic powder/salt mixed in with the tomato paste? I heard mention that one of the skin studies mixed it with olive oil and I have to say that it does make it taste better. I didn't think it would make that much difference. I'm going to try it with a little balsamic vinegar as well! Kinda like brushetta, which I like.

No, I haven't tried that. I guess I'll give that a go since I have all these cans!

cm5597, thanks for sharing that the watermelon is rich in lycopene. I love watermelon!
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:26 am      Reply with quote
I'm quasi vegan (I still drink a cup of cow's milk per day and sometimes get eggs from a farm I know that treats chickens well)

I also don't really believe in "banned" foods (ok except animal products but that's not because I think they're bad, just don't agree with farming practices) since I believe that moderation is the key. I do have to control my carb (esp. sweets!) intake or else I go crazy.

I do eat (obviously) a LOT of veggies per day and I make sure that I have green, orange, red veggies every day.

For e.g. I have a smoothie for breakfast that has: one banana, strawberries, wild blueberries, carrots, half avocado, plus some random fruit (e.g. mango, pineapple, etc.).

I also have a big spinach salad every day, usually with chickpeas or beans and walnuts.

Also, I recently started participating in a CSA program so I get some of my organic veggies for cheaper now and delivered to my door Smile

If there's a CSA program in your area, I really recommend it!

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Sycamore
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:15 am      Reply with quote
I guess green smoothies really make a difference. I must take the trouble to incorporate it into my diet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Sycamore wrote:
I guess green smoothies really make a difference. I must take the trouble to incorporate it into my diet.

Yes, they really are awesome for the skin and general health! The trick is finding recipes you love Smile

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |