Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do I need a retinoid?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi all - i'm really confused by the whole retinoid thing, and have a few questions from you seasoned pros..

I am 30 - is this a good age to start using retinoids? I dont really have wrinkles, but can sometimes see lines visible under my eyes when I've been squinting or laughing a lot..

I don't have terrible skin, I have spots on my forehead, but am treating that at the moment with other stuff which seems to be working

Also, I have a persistent tan on my face compared to the rest of me which I'd really like to get rid - retinoids lighten the skin don't they?

So is 30 a good age to start, or can I hold off a few more years? Also, once you start using them, do you have to keep using them??

I have very oily skin - are the gel and the micro gel good choices for me?

Just scared to take the plunge, as its something I see as a long term commitment, and requires a lot of care (e.g. sunscreen etc, which I don't always do)

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Yessssssss to starting retinoids!

However, there are 2 major types of retinoids: retinol (non-prescription) and tretinoin (prescription).

The one you really want to get is tretinoin (Retin-A). Retinol doesn't absorb as well, gets degraded faster, etc, etc.

More than lightening the skin, tretinoin disperses melanin so it gets rid of sunspots.

The gel is VERY drying, even for people with oily skin, so it's usually not recommended unless you have oily skin and active acne.

Lastly, you really do need to wear sunscreen, even if you don't use Retin-A. Just try your best to incorporate it in your routine. Most of the time, people can use sunscreen instead of moisturizers since sunscreen has emollients. So if you want to simplify your routine you can just do that. Smile

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
chei

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:26 am      Reply with quote
whether you use any product, sunscreen is essential
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:32 am      Reply with quote
thanks for info..

what happens when you stop using the retin-a??

I used to use sunscreen but have become lazy, but you are right, i need to start using it again properly...its just so greasy, and another layer of products which is not fantastic in summer..but thanks for the tip, i think ill skip my moisturiser and try sunscreen alone, see how that feels

Im going to order some retin-a from ADC, since its so cheap i think ill order some gel, cream and micro and see which one suits..i can mix these up and use them interchangebly cant i?

Confused

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi mowgli, I'm going to be 40 in October and my big regret is that I didn't use retinoids in my 30s. I've worn crappy U.S. sunscreens throughout but now in the last few years have had to deal with increasing skin issues that could have been prevented if I'd been a little more pro active. Sorry for the pun. Yes, definitely start using either Retin-a or an OTC retinol. I've been using RoC Deep Wrinkle Cream the last year. There are stronger retinols (Green Cream, Affirm) that you can buy online if Retin-a is too irritating for you.

I wouldn't bother with U.S. sunscreen. Get a really high ppd UVA blocking sunscreen like Avene or Bioderma.

http://www.skincarecentral.biz/sunscreens-about-.html

If chemicals bother you try a mineral sunscreen:
http://mvorganics.com/Protect
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:55 am      Reply with quote
mowgli wrote:
thanks for info..

I used to use sunscreen but have become lazy, but you are right, i need to start using it again properly...its just so greasy, and another layer of products which is not fantastic in summer..but thanks for the tip, i think ill skip my moisturiser and try sunscreen alone, see how that feels

Im going to order some retin-a from ADC, since its so cheap i think ill order some gel, cream and micro and see which one suits..i can mix these up and use them interchangebly can
t i?

Confused

I have learned if you stop using Retin A or any other topical your skin will revert back to it's original state.

IMO you may want to start with an over the counter retinol and work your way up. I think too many people give up on Retin A because your skin can get very dry. If you will your way up you may be able to tolerate Retin A better.

Dr Dr. Baumann suggests Retinol Plus Smoothing Serum 2X by Replenix. This product comes in different strengths from 2X all the way to 10X. Meaning 2 has the least amount of retinol and 10 the most. This product also has the added benefit of green tea.

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Retinol+Plus+Smoothing+Serum+2X_19199.htm
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:53 am      Reply with quote
mowgli wrote:
thanks for info..

The same thing as if you stop any other cream/medication. Retin-A (among other things) increases the production of collagen. If you stop it, that increase will cease and skin aging will continue its course.

mowgli wrote:

I used to use sunscreen but have become lazy, but you are right, i need to start using it again properly...its just so greasy, and another layer of products which is not fantastic in summer..

I really recommend that you go through some of the sunscreen threads in these forums. I used to think that Neutrogena sunscreen was all there was and that I had to put up with the oily feeling/look. There are all kinds of different sunscreens and it usually takes several tries to find one that suits you. It's also a good idea to go to a cosmetics store and leave with a bunch of samples.

mowgli wrote:
Im going to order some retin-a from ADC, since its so cheap i think ill order some gel, cream and micro and see which one suits..i can mix these up and use them interchangebly cant i?
Confused

Yes, you can use it interchangeably. However, because Retin-A has a cummulative/slow effect then if you use one day the cream, the next day the gel and you get a strange reaction on the third day, you won't really know which caused it. So if you want to know which one "suits you" better, you would really have to use each for 2 weeks.
Just by how they're made, this is how they're ordered in increasing "reactiveness": micro, cream, gel.

The other thing, as someone mentioned is to... START SLOW. You will use Retin-A for the rest of your life (tretinoin is the active that has the most research behind to support its antiaging claims), so taking 2-3 months to fully incorporate it into your routine won't make a difference.

Start using the lowest concentration and use it once every three days for 2 weeks. Then move on to every other day for 2 weeks. Then move on to 2 days in a row, one day rest. And then use it every day. Always cut back if you see your skin is getting irritated. After doing that, and depending on how your skin reacts, you might want to go up in the concentration (up to 0.05%).

On an anecdotal side, I have a few friends my age and over (35+) that started using Retin-A when they were 15 (for acne issues) and then just continued... their skin looks AMAZING.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 am      Reply with quote
thanks so much for the detailed advice ladies - im feeling a lot more confident about using retin now. I've ordered some cream, gel and micro, and i think ill start off with the micro and see how it feels

i used to use La Roche Posay anthelios but got annoyed at how greasy my skin got even though its supposed to be for greasy skin. I'll be quite happy if my skin dries out a bit!

I will def start using it again though once I start using retin, hopefully that will lighten the tan on my face too..
Quite excited about using retin-a now!

System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |