Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What's wrong with Mineral Oil/ Petroleum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
As titled. I always heard that they're bad for the skin as it forms a layer over your skin. I've been using vaseline for yrs on my hands and legs and they seem to do well in moisturizing. So I would like to know what exactly harm does Mineral Oil do to your skin or body in the long run? ... Thanks!
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:07 am      Reply with quote
I'm yet to see a scientific study that suggests they cause any harm at all. Almost every company that says they do has an agenda, usually selling their own "organic/natural" products. I call it "greenwashing".
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:41 am      Reply with quote
Well they are by products of petroleum production and mineral oil specifically has no other use except as a lubricant in some kitchen appliances so it's a very very cheap ingredient for cosmetic companies to purchase. Many people find both clogging to pores. I call it a rip off when I see one of the first 2-3 ingredients listed on a high end cream is mineral oil. That's just my take on it. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:46 am      Reply with quote
Mineral oil is a highly refined petroleum product. I've stopped using all products that contain it because it doesn't seem natural/healthy; why would my skin thrive on oil processed from rocks? Question

http://beautifulwithbrains.com/2009/12/16/is-mineral-oil-bad-for-skin/
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:58 am      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
Mineral oil is a highly refined petroleum product. I've stopped using all products that contain it because it doesn't seem natural/healthy; why would my skin thrive on oil processed from rocks? Question

http://beautifulwithbrains.com/2009/12/16/is-mineral-oil-bad-for-skin/

I stopped using anything containing it 30 years ago when expecting my first child and read in several books that it binds to vitamins and can actually leach them from the skin, with all we spend and do to apply vitamins for antioxidant purposes why use a cheap ingredient just to negate all the goodies we use? Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:53 am      Reply with quote
I don't think there is anything wrong with either. They are cheap ingredients that can be helpful. They don't actually moisturize but create a layer over the skin which can help protect and hold in moisture.

I'm very acne prone and can use it without any issues. I know some do have issues with getting clogged pores which I think has more to do with the occlusive layer it creates since it doesn't actually penetrate the pores.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:22 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with either. They are cheap ingredients that can be helpful. They don't actually moisturize but create a layer over the skin which can help protect and hold in moisture.

This is my take on those ingredients, as well. They hold in moisture and probably prevent TEWL.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:41 am      Reply with quote
I don't think there's anything wrong with it either... I don't think I would have been able to go through my Accutane stint without mineral oil!

I also echo DarkMoon's comment: "I call it a rip off when I see one of the first 2-3 ingredients listed on a high end cream is mineral oil."

When thinking about an emollient, I usually like buying (or making myself) things whose oils resemble our skin lipids. I'm not sure it makes a difference, it just makes me feel better Smile

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:35 am      Reply with quote
One of the first staples I got to when my skin is distressed is Aquaphor. Everytime I had a procedure (lasers, peels, etc), the derms/docs have recommended it.
It can be pore clogging for some but I love it as a backup and use it for hands, feet, face, etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:44 am      Reply with quote
My Mom had several skin cancers and had two different dermatologists. Both of them highly recommended Vasoline - said it was the best out there for dry skin and better than all the more costly stuff.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:52 am      Reply with quote
My major beef is paying top dollar for Mineral Oil! Vaseline and Petroleum Jelly products like Balmex (Diaper Rash Ointment with zinc in a petroleum jelly base) was a huge life saver when I was caring for my dad in keeping his skin protected! I just get really annoyed when in high end and even mid range skin care top on the first few ingredients is Mineral Oil, super cheap ingredient and they charge us an arm and a leg for it! Exclamation

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:11 am      Reply with quote
I used to use vaseline on my face over my face cream - my skin def loved it, but I stopped cos I had other problems with my skin..

I don't see the harm, no harmful effects have been demonstrated - its all supposition based on where its derived from but if it shows good results on your skin, why not use it!

I'd like to see the info on it leaching vitamins from the skin DarkMoon, sounds interesting, Ive not heard that before..

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:18 am      Reply with quote
That was about Mineral Oil and the books I owned on pregnancy I gave away ages ago as the youngest of 4 is 21 now! I just recall it was a major no no to use on your body because of the vitamin issue. I will see what I can find now on that subject! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Sunscreen protection for the UV rays seems foremost on most people’s mind- the UV rays being most harmful between 10 am and 2 pm. If you are going in the sun, be sure to avoid mineral oil (”Baby Oil”) – read the labels- most all commercial oils contain mineral oil as a primary ingredient). Mineral oil is a petroleum by product, it clogs pores, not letting the skin breath, leaches vitamins from the skin, and is phototoxic, that is, increases your chances of getting burned.

http://www.lavictoriana.com/?page_id=258

http://ezinearticles.com/?Buying-a-Herbal-Skin-Care-Product?-Avoid-These-3-Ingredients&id=4194643

1. Mineral oil

Mineral oil is a by-product of crude petroleum, as are liquid paraffin and petrolatum. It is found in the great majority of creams and lotions. In a nutshell, this product initially appears to help to moisturise the skin. What it actually does is clog the pores, leach vitamins and minerals from the skin and dry the skin out. It does act as a very effective barrier on the skin, but it interferes with the bodies own moisturising mechanisms, leading to chapping and dryness, and premature ageing - the very conditions people use it to alleviate!

Why do companies use mineral oil? Because it is cheap and has a long shelf life.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:53 am      Reply with quote
What annoys me is that some companies are getting "smart" and using technical terms for mineral oil.

I read an article somewhere about that this year.
It was in some magazine....but I remember them saying mineral oil can also go under the name "lilly white gel"

I know there is also trademarked names for some ingrdients,

Found this:
http://home.caregroup.org/clinical/altmed/interactions/Drugs/Mineral_Oil.htm
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I read that it clogs pores, but I can use petroletum without a problem, so I keep using it. I don't have any reaction to mineral oil either, but I think some people are sensitive to it.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
wow thanks so much all.....so many useful feedbacks! =) I do understand that mineral oil is cheap so that's y i like vaseline or jergens to moisturize body cuz i used a lot.... But guess i'll try to find another alternative wihout this ingrediant in it after i used them up first. Also, i noticed that those body lotions contain a very high pore clogging ingrediant Isopropyl Myristate so that maybe the culprit to clogged pores sometimes.... I was planning to try the concealer from Amazing Cosmetics cuz of the raves but i might change my mind now as he first few ingrediants contain mineral oil .... =(
snowymtn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
The thing is that petroleum is a fossil fuel, a non renewable resource. The production and refining of it can be damaging to the environment as well.

It may be ok for our faces, but I choose not to support the industry...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
snowymtn wrote:
The thing is that petroleum is a fossil fuel, a non renewable resource. The production and refining of it can be damaging to the environment as well.

I agree that bothers me as well, but they are a byproduct of the gas and oil in cars ect. So until they find a way to get the world to change on that it won't change anything unfortunately.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
snowymtn wrote:

I'm not sure how one can live life without 'supprting' the industry in some way or another. One would have to avoid use of plastic (which uses petroleum in the manufacturing of almost all commercial plastics); walk, bike, or take electric transportation; and avoid a myriad of other activities or products that directly or indirectly involve the use of petroleum.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |