Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My personal facial exercise Discovery
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
sunlit
5% products discount

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have had my trials with facial exercise and own Carole Maggio, Ageless and flex Effect. After experiening looser skin, new lines, and big muscles where they weren't meant to be I quit it all about a year ago. My skincare is doing wonders but the parenthesis and beginings of nasolabial lines was annoying me. I also developed a dimple when I smiled which I was told by a derm was from the muscle dropping from my cheek. I don't want to build or restore lost volume - I'm only 30 - I just want my skin firmer and this muscle to go back to where it should be.

I went on a search again and looked at Eva Frasers testimonials. One thing I noticed is every single one of them had great skin and toned faces but they ALL had really bad nasolabial folds. Even one girl who seemed young. I immediately decided to leave it. There was one sample exercise on her website though called the instant facelift which I tried and actually liked on its own. I've been doing nothing but that one exercise and WOW!! My parenthesis are pulling out and my apples of my cheeks are lifting up. There are no lines on your skin when you do the exercise and no tugging or pulling at your skin!! I think I've found a gentle exercise that does what I want and takes me no more than 3 minutes a day. I am sore the next day from it especially in the apple of my cheeks and my neck and jawline and next to my ears!!

Thought I would share for anyone else who's scared of facial exercises!! I don't have that little niggling fear that I'm destroying my face when I do this - I always felt that way with the others. Here's hoping it keeps working!!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting sunlit! Smile I have read about a few others that had negative experiences with facial exercises on the forum, although many here swear by them I have been apprehensive about doing any myself. Glad you found the one that does the trick for you. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi sunlit.

I also own those 3 programs and have not done much about it. I just recently watched the FE new version CD and the exercises at the beginning of the CD look very scary to me.

I am not so bad for my age but have some problem with my nasolabials and just trying to prevent from everything falling due to gravity as I approach older age and I know that cosmetic procedures is not the long term answer.

Just to make sure, is the Eva Fraser site you are referring to? and which exercise?

There is a video called "facial fitness". Is this the one?

http://www.evafraser.com/facial_fitness.html

TIA!
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:29 am      Reply with quote
I too would be interested to know which it is sunlit,

Jackie xx
lisocas
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi sunlit! Have you tried the Tanaka exercise as well? There are a lot of people here who swear by them and most of the exercises don´t seem too harsh on the skin.

hugs Smile
sunlit
5% products discount

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi Girls,

Thanks for the replies. I haven't tried Tanaka Massage but I may give it a go. I've heard great things about it and I may jsut do some searching tonight Smile

If you go on the Eva Fraser Website and on the left toolbar click on Facial Fitness and then on Exercises. In the far right column there's a link titled:

Click here to view a sample video clip of neck, jaw and lower face lift (875k)

That's the wonder exercise!! Hopes this helps!! it really has made a huge difference already in me. When I smile my cheeks are looking huge Smile I love it when things work!!
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Sunlit - I'm so happy to read your story. I'm curious though as to what the responses you had from Carole and the FlexEffect/Ageless people were as I know clearly at times their advice to me has worked the majority but not all the time.

With looser skin one told me that he thought it was lack of minerals while on Ageless they (and actually have to say there was never a trainer here when you needed one it was other people's recommendations) to do more reps and having more rest days, and in the end although the problem solved itself I'm not sure it was because of either solution given to me.

Also at only 30 - your still very young, what made you choose facial exercises?

I know that Eva has very big NL's from when I met with her back some years ago, and I found her face to be actually quite guant looking, but her program did work for me quite well but then seemed to stop working all of a sudden, so I'm really interested in hearing how you progress with that one exercise?

Theresa
sunlit
5% products discount

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Theresa,

I had nothing but issues with facial exercises. I started at 28 because i had the tiniest criss cross lines under one eye and forehead wrinkles and slight parenthesis around my mouth. All in all I still looked no older than 25 and I was being over critical in the mirror.

Carol Maggio did nothing so off to flex effect and after 1 year of flex effect and ageless I ended up with nasolabial folds, eye wrinkles and weird looking cheeks. I think any positive changes I thought I saw were more hope than reality. My husband assures me it NEVER looked good!! You can still tell the areas I 'held' when I did the exercises. The skin is thinner in those areas and I have loose skin next to my mouth from the cheek exercises when you hold from the inside of the mouth. It's getting better but I should have trusted my instincts.

No matter how good the facial exercise sites are worded it is still an opinion - not a clinically proven technique. They talk like it's proven but it's not. I can't believe I watched my face become 'odd looking' and kept going because someone without any medical training told me it was the 'uglies' and it would pass. I think there is a place for facial exercise but I think it's up to each individual to experiment and work out what fits them better. For me - no grabbing, tugging or pulling will ever be performed on my face again. No uglies either!! Only pretties Smile

Since I started going full steam ahead with Retin A, MD Forte, Nia24 and TNS eye cream - my skin is becoming flawless. Just trying to get rid of the beginings of nasolabial lines for good and tighten up around my cheekbones. Hopefully this exercise will be enough and I tried Tanuka massage last night for the first time and WOW!! I think that may help alot too!! I have a cold and it totally cleared my sinuses too!!

Hope this helps but as I said - I think it comes down to the individual and if it works for you run with it!!
Sycamore
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:45 am      Reply with quote
I am not this dissapointed about facial exercises, but have mixed experience. There are areas where they are helpful even at a young age. It can eliminate premature double chins, droopy upper eyelids. For under eye and NL folds it is actually a no no for me. As the definiton a muscles sho up, these areas will look worse.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sunlit

Wow at 28 that is young. Did they say facial exercises would work for you at such a young age as in my mind your not dealing with the sagging etc that I was when I was in my early 50s so I wonder why they said for you to do everything?

So you did both Ageless and flexEffect.... I'm wondering whether that was the problem as I know I got told off from doing both, and when I stopped my face did readjust (but again I have very different issues from you).

I thought FlexEffect had studies from some hospital about their program? Which site told you, that you were experiencing the uglies? What advice did they give you? That is worrying and so hope you don't mind me asking these questions but I think it will help others going to do them by listening to your experiencs.

Theresa
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:30 am      Reply with quote
I cant get the video to play, could anyone describe the exercise pls!! its says i need quicktime - which I have! Rolling Eyes
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:54 am      Reply with quote
ignore that. i got it to work. how many times would you do it sunlit?
gumdropday
5% products discount

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Do you know how many repetitions you are supposed to do per day? Thank you!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
I'm downloading Quck time so I can give it a look. The site says it is the equivalent of a gentle face lift. Will take a look, try it out. It would be nice to have something to do on days when you have zero time but can fit this in for a minute....Thanks for sharing.

At your age I'm surprised you tried all of the programs you have. I wouldn't have thought about it until I was 50 Shock They say sooner is better!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:44 am      Reply with quote
I tried the Eva Frasier video clip today and my impressions are this: It reminds me of Carole Maggio (scooping exercise) while also using her side of the face lifting imagery.
Target area is definitly lower face, jaw, and lifting sides of face (I see why Eva calls it the lower face lift.
Realistically how many times can you invent the wheel?
I know Eva Came First so it's possible Carole did her own spin off from this. It is a nice exercise and seems to work several of the lower face muscles with one exercise. Love it!!!! thanks sunlit for sharing this.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
Whilst they seem similar, I think there are some major differences. For one, Eva taught me back in 2000 (nearly 10 years ago - yikes time flies when your having fun) and I believe this is also one of the exercises from her book in the 90's so I definitely think she came first. Also if memory serves me correctly - she didn't start till much later in life than Carole did. I think she looks wonderful for an 80+ year old, but sometimes to me she looks a little gaunt.

For me one thing I do remember quite detailed is that she believed that when it came to movements where you had your hands in your mouth etc, it was better to go up in small movements as she felt this built muscle more.... which is very different to me than the other programs. I remember CM (not Maggio but CM on EDS) spoke one time that it was proven to build muscle by doing just that so I've often wondered why the other programs have ignored this as she said it was a proven fact. I know Eva's program worked wonders for me originally, but then seemed to stop. I was never happy about that, but think it gave me a great insight into facial programs. Eva's pretty much against facial creams though, and skin remodellers and has never used Retin A herself and I think that her results are amazing as a result. The others all seem to which isn't such a biggie but I think it does say something about Eva wanting to do it naturally though.

I do wonder though with this exercise if its goal is only toning as it was one of my favourite originally and it does work the muscles somewhat, but as the original poster here has said, her goals was not muscle building just toning so I wonder if that exercise will keep things the way she wants..... be interesting to hear from her again ten years from now..

sister sweets wrote:
I tried the Eva Frasier video clip today and my impressions are this: It reminds me of Carole Maggio (scooping exercise) while also using her side of the face lifting imagery.
Target area is definitly lower face, jaw, and lifting sides of face (I see why Eva calls it the lower face lift.
I know Eva Came First so it's possible Carole did her own spin off from this. It is a nice exercise and seems to work several of the lower face muscles with one exercise. Love it!!!! thanks sunlit for sharing this.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Whilst they seem similar, I think there are some major differences. For one, Eva taught me back in 2000 (nearly 10 years ago - yikes time flies when your having fun) and I believe this is also one of the exercises from her book in the 90's so I definitely think she came first. Also if memory serves me correctly - she didn't start till much later in life than Carole did. I think she looks wonderful for an 80+ year old, but sometimes to me she looks a little gaunt.

For me one thing I do remember quite detailed is that she believed that when it came to movements where you had your hands in your mouth etc, it was better to go up in small movements as she felt this built muscle more.... which is very different to me than the other programs. I remember CM (not Maggio but CM on EDS) spoke one time that it was proven to build muscle by doing just that so I've often wondered why the other programs have ignored this as she said it was a proven fact. I know Eva's program worked wonders for me originally, but then seemed to stop. I was never happy about that, but think it gave me a great insight into facial programs. Eva's pretty much against facial creams though, and skin remodellers and has never used Retin A herself and I think that her results are amazing as a result. The others all seem to which isn't such a biggie but I think it does say something about Eva wanting to do it naturally though.

I do wonder though with this exercise if its goal is only toning as it was one of my favourite originally and it does work the muscles somewhat, but as the original poster here has said, her goals was not muscle building just toning so I wonder if that exercise will keep things the way she wants..... be interesting to hear from her again ten years from now..

sister sweets wrote:

Hello TM - What do you mean by go up in small movements? Hoping you will clarify.

Also Eva started in her early 50's which makes it all the more amazing and I never once thought she looked gaunt but that's how I see her. Isn't that interesting. Everytime I've seen any pictures o her I am amazed anyone her age could look that terrific naturally.

Who do you think looks good at an older age naturally? Not gaunt, fake, etc....

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:50 am      Reply with quote
Sure, she doesn't go to the most contraction straight away, but has you smile a little bit and hold for a second, then smile a little bit more and hold for a second so you kind of go up in six small movements. So you go up, then hold, go up a bit more, then hold, go up a bit more, then hold (in six small movements) and then at the furthest movement you hold for the count of 6 and then you come down in 6 small steps in the say way you went up. You release a little, and hold, release a little more and hold, release again and hold and this seems to work the muscle a bit more and its pretty hard to do in the beginning.

I think she does look amazing, but to me when I look at her there is something a little gaunt looking in her face, and as the poster who started this thread mentions, she does have very deep nl's which I agree with the poster that most people who do her program do seem to have.

I don't think Deb looks gaunt to me, nor Carole Maggio and both are in their 60's and to me neither look fake, but having said that they are both 20 years younger than Eva, so its only time that will tell whether they end up looking better/worse.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Got it! Thanks.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
a couple of days ago I tried to do the Tanaka Massage without any facial exercises and also added Green smoothies to my Diet, and started to look much better i have exercised my face for years, never dared to skip a Day. now I Look less Gaunt that I stopped.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for these tips! I'm starting to get some n-l lines and pouchy bits. I'll hold back on the exercises and try tanaka and the other exercise.
Hammyxxx
5% products discount

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sunlit

WELL this is interesting and somewhat scary!! I have recently been browsing the web to find someone who has experienced loose face flesh after facial exercises and I found you. This is what has happened to me!

I began the whole facercise program in mid May to rectify sudden fat loss I experienced under my eyes. I had to stop beginning of August due to my under eye area starting to look much worse and very stressed looking. However mid August my facial skin/flesh became extremely loose i.e. it just easily moves around over my muscles and I can actually pinch it off my face...It did not help under eye hollows either, what has resulted to my under eyes was the skin was being pulled tight (but of course it is hollow underneath and still lacking volume over my orbital rim so now casts some awful uneven shadows in certain light and the small amount of muscle that developed over the tear trough bone has pushed my skin outwards making it look puffy! in addition my lower eyelid skin also feels like it has lost so mch firmness and elasticity. Oh and my doctor tried to pull my lower eyelids down to check for anaemia a few weeks ago and she struggled. My lower eyelid rim is now so tight it won't pull out like it used to.

To explain this loose flesh better - the only area of my face which is now still tight is 1.5" of my upper forehead, the only area I have not touched or manipulated with exercises! - as I move my fingers down my forehead, my skin becomes extremely loose above the eyebrow (right where I had been applying resistance for the brow exercise) my whole lower face feels like this now, along with the beginning of jowls and looseness under my chin. Immediately before commencing the exercises my face was full and firm, with a pretty oval shape when I smiled, however during the period of exercises my face lost this youthful oval shape and took on a round shape when I smile - not nice (I sent Carole photos of this difference from me before facercise in March to how I look when I smile now.) I also seemed to develop a chipmonk look and my face was taking on a rectangular look - no longer oval. Now when I smile I too have deeper lines at the corners of my mouth and when I press this area it feels hollow. It feels like my face flesh (not the muscle) has lost some underlying support or elasticity! Also I now have lines under my eyes when I smile! The chipmonk thing is still there and my lower cheeks feel really loose/flabby...I have gone from looking 15 years younger than my age to older than my age in a matter of months...

Additionally I became very gaunt looking under the cheek area, the gaunt/hollow eyed image of me in the hairdressers mirror end of June (5 weeks after exercises) was a SHOCK, I didnt look gaunt in their mirror in April this year.

I have spoken to Carole who said it is because I am not using my muscles, however I had much more tone/tightness and in fact fullness to my face before I started the routine, so didnt understand really Confused She also suggested it may be fat loss in my face - so I am presently trying to gain weight, with more protein and oils in my diet - my BMI is only 18.5 and I am at the very lower end of the healthy weight scale, but have been this weight many times before and my face has never suffered. I am so sure the looseness in my facial flesh has something to do with the exercises - well it's very conincidential anyway! distressing and depressing too. Or can one suddenly; in a matter of weeks develop loose saggy face flesh?? does anyone know? This is definitely my flesh not the muscle as I can now pinch my flesh off the underlying muscle.

So after so many people experience postive results with excercises, why you and I are the exception; I've no idea. However this has left me wary! does one continue with the excercises with the possibility this sudden sagging/loosness has nothing to do with them or never exercise the face again at the risk things will worsen or maybe at the hope everything will spring back to how it was, although if my skin tissue has now lost elasticity, the chances of it returning to how it was, I assume will be slim.

Sunlit, Did you experience any looseness with 'facercise' or was this just after flexeffect and ageless. Also you say things are improving. How long before you saw improvement after stopping the exercises.

Thanks
Hammy

sunlit wrote:
I have had my trials with facial exercise and own Carole Maggio, Ageless and flex Effect. After experiening looser skin, new lines, and big muscles where they weren't meant to be I quit it all about a year ago. My skincare is doing wonders but the parenthesis and beginings of nasolabial lines was annoying me. I also developed a dimple when I smiled which I was told by a derm was from the muscle dropping from my cheek. I don't want to build or restore lost volume - I'm only 30 - I just want my skin firmer and this muscle to go back to where it should be.

I went on a search again and looked at Eva Frasers testimonials. One thing I noticed is every single one of them had great skin and toned faces but they ALL had really bad nasolabial folds. Even one girl who seemed young. I immediately decided to leave it. There was one sample exercise on her website though called the instant facelift which I tried and actually liked on its own. I've been doing nothing but that one exercise and WOW!! My parenthesis are pulling out and my apples of my cheeks are lifting up. There are no lines on your skin when you do the exercise and no tugging or pulling at your skin!! I think I've found a gentle exercise that does what I want and takes me no more than 3 minutes a day. I am sore the next day from it especially in the apple of my cheeks and my neck and jawline and next to my ears!!

Thought I would share for anyone else who's scared of facial exercises!! I don't have that little niggling fear that I'm destroying my face when I do this - I always felt that way with the others. Here's hoping it keeps working!!
jedder
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:47 am      Reply with quote
I wouldnt have thought that doing a relatively mild facial exercise programme for 12 weeks would result in all the problems you say. I dont doubt that you are telling the truth......but i wouldnt say facial exercise is entirely to blame.
Gauntness is a common complaint though.
In my view, it sounds like you are experiencing fat loss. I think its imperitive that slimmer people go steadier on facial exercises and also that they use a protein supplement or at least increase the protein in their diet. Because slimmer people have less fat on their face, its possible the result of exercise shows up more.
I would lay off facial exercise, start having whey protein shakes twice daily and pig out for a couple of months! Then maybe start back every other day with the idea of toning rather than building your face.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
jedder wrote:
I wouldnt have thought that doing a relatively mild facial exercise programme for 12 weeks would result in all the problems you say. I dont doubt that you are telling the truth......but i wouldnt say facial exercise is entirely to blame.
In my view, it sounds like you are experiencing fat loss. I think its imperitive that slimmer people go steadier on facial exercises and also that they use a protein supplement or at least increase the protein in their diet. Because slimmer people have less fat on their face, its possible the result of exercise shows up more.
I would lay off facial exercise, start having whey protein shakes twice daily and pig out for a couple of months! Then maybe start back every other day with the idea of toning rather than building your face.

I agree. I do my face exercises every other day as well and have not seen any bad effects from it.
Hammyxxx
5% products discount

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks jedder...

It it wasnt for my feelings on privacy with my photos jedder I would send you them....I did send them to Maggio though.

I can't tolerate dairy so I am on Hemp Protein Powder (been taking that since mid July)

Well I kinda hope it is fat loss then theres a chance it may come back (not like collagen/elastin) I am just unsure fat loss would make my face flesh feel like is had actually lost elasticity and make is move so loosely over my face. If I pinch my chipmonk cheeks it still does feel like there is fat there - they are just so loose. The skin on the rest of my body is still tight though Confused

Thanks
Hammy

jedder wrote:
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |