Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can I just mix L-ascorbic acid with AV gel?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
I'm making my own Vit C serum. For the past few days, I dissolved LAA in distilled water then added either glycerin or aloe vera gel. It's a bit watery.

So can I dissolve the LAA directly into the AV gel instead? Will that work? And I just open up some LAA gelcaps and use the powder inside. Should that work too?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
TooInvolved wrote:
I'm making my own Vit C serum. For the past few days, I dissolved LAA in distilled water then added either glycerin or aloe vera gel. It's a bit watery.

So can I dissolve the LAA directly into the AV gel instead? Will that work? And I just open up some LAA gelcaps and use the powder inside. Should that work too?

I am not sure anyone has managed that yet? Could you mix the aloe and water to the consistency you like and then try? I am just reluctant to say LAA will dissolve in the Aloe Vera gel alone. Question Very Happy Question Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I just mixed some LAA into the AV gel and I think it dissolved well. Just to make sure...is the LAA supposed to disappear completely when it dissolves? When I mixed it with distilled water (or AV gel), the LAA still looked like tiny white bits in the water.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
TooInvolved wrote:
I just mixed some LAA into the AV gel and I think it dissolved well. Just to make sure...is the LAA supposed to disappear completely when it dissolves? When I mixed it with distilled water (or AV gel), the LAA still looked like tiny white bits in the water.

Are you sure there are no fillers in the caps you have? I have only used purchased powder that's pure LAA. Mine dissolves totally?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have mixed citric acid with aloe vera gel and it made the thick aloe vera gel thin and watery. I think the acid may have broken down the thickeners. I don't think adding aloe vera is going to thicken up a watery serum.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like a good, simple idea. I don't like having to get a bunch of different ingredients for my C-serum. Less is more, usually. Maybe also with this idea?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:35 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Are you sure there are no fillers in the caps you have? I have only used purchased powder that's pure LAA. Mine dissolves totally?
The front of the bottle says "pure L-Ascorbic acid," but on the back it lists magnesium stearate under "Other Ingredients." I don't know if the Mag Stearate is in the capsules or on them. Edit: I just wiki'd it and it's probably in the caps. Sad

Quote:
I have mixed citric acid with aloe vera gel and it made the thick aloe vera gel thin and watery. I think the acid may have broken down the thickeners. I don't think adding aloe vera is going to thicken up a watery serum
The LAA thinned out my AV gel too. It's still a tad thicker than when I add the water. I don't see the point of dissolving the LAA in water first, since it dissolves as well in the gel.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:43 am      Reply with quote
AmmoniaSmith, I'm thinking of adding some citric acid into my serum also. I wonder if that'll enhance the skin brightening effect...?

Quote:
Sounds like a good, simple idea. I don't like having to get a bunch of different ingredients for my C-serum. Less is more, usually. Maybe also with this idea?
I'm hoping so. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:46 am      Reply with quote
Yeah that is where the no fillers comes in to the picture, I think this may explain the white specks you are seeing as it's not soluble in water which is the main liquid even in the Aloe.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_stearate?wasRedirected=true

Magnesium stearate, also called octadecanoic acid, magnesium salt, is a white substance which is solid at room temperature. It has the chemical formula Mg(C18H35O2)2. It is a salt containing two equivalents of stearate (the anion of stearic acid) and one magnesium cation (Mg2+). Magnesium stearate melts at about 88 °C, is not soluble in water, and is generally considered safe for human consumption at levels below 2500 mg/kg per day[1]. In 1979, FDA's Subcommittee on GRAS (generally recognized as safe) Substances (SCOGS) reported, "There is no evidence in the available information on... magnesium stearate... that demonstrates, or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect, a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current and in the manner now practiced, or which might reasonably be expected in the future[2]."

Magnesium stearate is often used as a diluent[3] in the manufacture of medical tablets, capsules and powders (E470b).[4] In this regard, the substance is also useful because it has lubricating properties, preventing ingredients from sticking to manufacturing equipment during the compression of chemical powders into solid tablets; magnesium stearate is the most commonly used lubricant for tablets.[5] Studies have shown that magnesium stearate may affect the release time of the active ingredients in tablets, etc., but not that it reduces the over-all bioavailability of those ingredients[6][7].

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:54 am      Reply with quote
Shoot! Let's hope Whole Foods takes the caps back.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:18 am      Reply with quote
TooInvolved wrote:
Shoot! Let's hope Whole Foods takes the caps back.

Hopefully so, you might want to check for powder/crystals while there they do come with no additives. You can also buy Ascorbic Acid without worrying about it reading L-Ascorbic Acid, as long as it's labeled as Vitamin C it has to be LAA as that's the only bioavailable form of Ascorbic Acid. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:07 am      Reply with quote
TooInvolved wrote:
AmmoniaSmith, I'm thinking of adding some citric acid into my serum also. I wonder if that'll enhance the skin brightening effect...?

I don't think citric acid will help to brighten the skin. I am sure the Vitamin C alone will do that. I use a tiny bit of citric acid as a chelating agent as there is some controversy as to whether plant extracts have metal ions that will interfere with Vitamin C. Chelating agents help grab the ions before it can get to the Vitamin C (in theory).

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
^^^^Oh, OK...got it.

I bought some powdered Vit C crystals and they dissolve very well, much better than the caps I used before. And I realized one reason to dissolve the Vit C in water first is to get the final serum to the right concentration (10%)...duh... Embarassed
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:09 am      Reply with quote
A few skincare lines have exclusive vitamin c powder that is to be mixed in with a moisturizer, so it must be safe. Although to get results, mix it into a product that dosent contain many oils.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |