Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Burnout Sunscreen Review (physical sunscreen) -RAVE
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:10 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Dark Moon,

Have you come across any research showing the effectiveness of zinc oxide (and at various strengths) across a broad UV spectrum?

I have not been able to - and usually you have more success Wink

BF

LOL I have mainly gone by what the posted chart shows but what I am using has both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and if you check the chart the combination covers both UVA and UVB very well. I know I did read that ZO gives very good protection but I can't recall what site that was on, but it needs to be at a fairly high %. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:26 am      Reply with quote
I found a few sites that have good information on the subject,

http://washingtonfacelift.com/asaps_sun_protection_article.html

Zinc oxide is the closest thing to a total sunblock on the market today. It uniformly covers from 290 to 380 nm, thus protecting against UVB and most of the UVA spectrum. No other sunscreen ingredient provides broader protection. And unlike many chemical sunscreen agents, zinc oxide is never irritating. In fact, it is recognized by the Food and Drug Administration as a Category I skin protectant, meaning that it is safe for compromised or environmentally challenged skin. Zinc oxide has over a 300-year history of safety, with no known adverse reactions (which is why it is often used to treat babies). Now, in its microfine form, it is ideal for use in sunscreens and daily moisturizers.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Sorry couldn't edit to add far enough down on my phone. Rolling Eyes

FDA-Approved Sunscreens
Active Ingredient/UV Filter Name Range Covered
UVA1: 340-400 nm
UVA2: 320-340 nm
UVB: 290-320 nm
Chemical/organic absorbers:
Aminobenzoic acid (PABA) UVB
Avobenzone UVA1
Cinoxate UVB
Dioxybenzone UVB, UVA2
Ecamsule (Mexoryl SX) UVA2
Ensulizole (Phenylbenzimiazole Sulfonic Acid) UVB
Homosalate UVB
Meradimate (Menthyl Anthranilate) UVA2
Octocrylene UVB
Octinoxate (Octyl Methoxycinnamate) UVB
Octisalate ( Octyl Salicylate) UVB
Oxybenzone UVB, UVA2
Padimate O UVB
Sulisobenzone UVB, UVA2
Trolamine Salicylate UVB
Titanium Dioxide UVB, UVA2
Zinc Oxide UVB,UVA2, UVA1

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the info on this burnout ss. Currently i'm using DDF but after i use it up i will definitely try this burnout one. sounds awesome!
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
is this the same burnout SS everyone is talking about?

http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/burnout-sunscreen-4-oz.html

Found it on a petshop web site, so a bit confused if it's for human or pet?
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi Natalyn

The link you posted is for the Ocean Tested Burnout Sunscreen. This is the most moisturizing of their sunscreens (they have 3 different ones). Depending on your skin (dry/oily) and the climate conditions, you *might* find this to be on the "tacky" side. Rolling Eyes This is formulated for water sports after all. I think most of us like the Kids version best.

I would suggest looking at the Burnout site, if you are from the US. Very Happy

http://www.burnoutsun.com/
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the kids version, and I started back on my Colorscience Orb over this. It definitely takes the tacky feeling away. Much better with the Colorscience on top of it!
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Circus. I just read from the web site you posted that Burnout is available at Wholefoods Market. This is great news! I will stop by Wholefoods and try it from a tester to see how I like it before I order one. My skin is on the dry side, so I like the moisturizing effect, but I don't want to look oily. Is "tacky" the same as "chalky"?

circus wrote:
Hi Natalyn

The link you posted is for the Ocean Tested Burnout Sunscreen. This is the most moisturizing of their sunscreens (they have 3 different ones). Depending on your skin (dry/oily) and the climate conditions, you *might* find this to be on the "tacky" side. Rolling Eyes This is formulated for water sports after all. I think most of us like the Kids version best.

I would suggest looking at the Burnout site, if you are from the US. Very Happy

http://www.burnoutsun.com/
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Looks like this link is for human not for pet.

Natalyn wrote:
is this the same burnout SS everyone is talking about?

http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/burnout-sunscreen-4-oz.html

Found it on a petshop web site, so a bit confused if it's for human or pet?
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn, nope not chalky. Tacky as in sticky, or doesn't "dry up" properly. You might like the Ocean one after all if you have dry skin. Good luck and do update! Very Happy
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
I found this on the Invisible Zinc website:

http://www.invisiblezinc.com/sun_science.htm

Might also be a good one to try, but I have yet to see where the percentage factor comes in.

Thanks, BF
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:42 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I have been using the kids version, and I started back on my Colorscience Orb over this. It definitely takes the tacky feeling away. Much better with the Colorscience on top of it!

Is it then one sunscreen on top of another? Can you do it?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:53 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

Is it then one sunscreen on top of another? Can you do it?

Yep I use the same combination to counteract any tacky feel and also find the Orb allows my MMU to apply perfectly. They are both physical sunscreens so it's no problem at all RussianSunshine. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:57 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

Yep I use the same combination to counteract any tacky feel and also find the Orb allows my MMU to apply perfectly. They are both physical sunscreens so it's no problem at all RussianSunshine. Very Happy

This!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:57 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

This!

LOL Great minds think alike! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:58 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

darkMoon, good to know! May I ask which MMU do u use? Do u apply it on top of the sunscreen and Orb?

Thank you!

Also, can anyone compare this Burnout sunscreen with Natural Instinct??
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine,

I have used Aromaliegh for years and sadly they are going/gone out of business Sad. I have used raisen images and find it's just as good so I will be going with that when I need to restock. Be warned they have the most atrocious web site I have ever navigated! Bethany can verify that as well! LOL

I apply the Burnout, then the Orb and follow with my MMU (after skin care regime)

Sorry but I haven't tried the Natural Instincts so can't compare.

I am in Southern Florida and like the triple protection of the 2 sunscreens and MMU.
BTW you can dust a bit of the Orb over MMU later in the day if you feel you need to add more protection!

HTH Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

This!

rileygirl, sorry, for switching the topic, but does Orb accentuate the flakiness from Obagi??

DarkMoon, in which form is your MMU: foundation, cream or powder? And do u apply anything else before the sunscreen? I'm afraid of applying too many products before going out and look like a clown in a daylight.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine,

I use a "powder" mineral MMU and I do use a serum and moisturizer first, I am just sure to be light handed with application. I find the Orb applies like silk and almost acts like a primer prior to MMU application. Smile

5% products discount

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Regarding zinc oxide sunscreens: At Walgreens I found their house brand of sunscreen for sensitive skin, SPF 70+, Titanium Dioxide 6.32% and Zinc Oxide 6.50%. It' fragrance free/ very water and sweat resistant/ non-comedogenic/ oil free/ PABA free.

I've been looking for a reasonably-priced zinc oxide SS so am very pleased to find this for only $7.99 for 4 oz.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
luca4 wrote:
Regarding zinc oxide sunscreens: At Walgreens I found their house brand of sunscreen for sensitive skin, SPF 70+, Titanium Dioxide 6.32% and Zinc Oxide 6.50%. It' fragrance free/ very water and sweat resistant/ non-comedogenic/ oil free/ PABA free.

I've been looking for a reasonably-priced zinc oxide SS so am very pleased to find this for only $7.99 for 4 oz.

That does look like an extremely reasonable priced physical sunscreen- at first. However, once you consider the low amount of zinc oxide (only 6.5%) it's not that inexpensive compared to others on the market. There's no secret that I analyze sunscreen by the amount of zinc oxide in it so I'll ignore the titanium dioxide content.

Consider: The walgreens sunscreen has 6.5% zinc oxide and it costs $8 for 4 oz. Multiply the zinc oxide by the amount and divide by the price (6.5%*4/8 ) and you get the value of .0325. Not bad!

Let’s now look at trukid, a reasonably priced high quality physical sunscreen. Trukid has 20% zinc oxide, and it costs $16 for 3.5 oz. Do the same calculation (20%*3.5/16) and you get the value of .04375. So trukid is actually better priced that the Walgreens, although at first glance the opposite appears to be true. (caveat: for simplification I’m ignoring shipping charges)

Just for fun, I’ll also look at Burnout. Burnout has 18.6% zinc oxide and costs $18 for 3.4 oz. So in burnout’s case the value is (18.6%*3.4/18 )= .0351. Burnout’s number is still very good but it’s definitely not the highest around.

Another sunscreen with a high zinc oxide per dollar content is thinksport. Thinksport is 25% zinc oxide and $17 for 3 oz. Thinksport’s value is (25%*3/17)= .0441. Surprisingly high!

Nanci’s (of ncn skincare) zinclear sunscreen also had a very high value. I was definitely a little sad when she abandoned the zinclear experiments because there was a lot of potential there.

A *truly* reasonably priced physical sunscreen that delivers an extremely high zinc content for your dollar is purple prairie. However, purple prairie is currently unavailable so there’s no point in discussing it. They’re saying that they’re reformulating it and who knows if the price point will change as well. (and as soon as they reformulate it I’ll of course have to order it)

Hahaha, it may seem a little weird but I really do go through these calculations when I’m comparing sunscreens. Of course, price is only one of the considerations when choosing a favorite sunscreen. I named burnout as my favorite because as of now it is the best overall for me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
oh my gosh, in a discussion of physical sunscreens with high zinc oxide content per dollar, how in the world could I forget to mention Devita??

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
ok it looks like devita reformulated some products and introduced new ones. Have to research. But just a heads up that the devita body block has a very high zinc oxide content per dollar and with the new formula that value is even higher than before.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:31 am      Reply with quote
I just may have to try this product! It looks like a promising sunscreen!

https://www2.devita.net/store/product.php?productid=17534&cat=290&page=1

I'm still loving my Ocean Tested Burnout though! I would like to try the Kid's version when I'm done with this bottle!
luca4
5% products discount

Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, Nimue, I'm so impressed with your analysis! I figured that the Walgreen's ZO/TD SS would be all I needed since I gave up my sun-worshiping many years ago. For years all I've used has been my Aveeno moisturizer with 15 SPF and an occasional Neutrogena Ultra Sheer with 55 SPF, if I was going to be out in the sun more than just walking through a parking lot from car to store.

I used the Walgreen's SS today and like it for my hands and arms, but not for my face and neck...it felt pretty drying. After I put my foundation over it, I washed it all off and started over with my Aveeno mixed with a little Neutrogena. My foundation over the ZO stuff just looked weird, not my usual dewy look.

So I may have to try the Burnout Kids and just use the WG's SS for hands and arms. Thanks for all the info.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |