Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Burnout Sunscreen Review (physical sunscreen) -RAVE
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2014 10:49 am      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:

Yes, its not bad but the kids one is better. The kids one still feels lovely though. I don't really notice a difference. Its just disappointing they never replied to my email.

Are you sure the Kids one you tried is the new reformulated Kids? I noticed a HUGE difference old Kids vs. New Kids.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2014 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
dionie wrote:

Yes, its not bad but the kids one is better. The kids one still feels lovely though. I don't really notice a difference. Its just disappointing they never replied to my email.

Are you sure the Kids one you tried is the new reformulated Kids? I noticed a HUGE difference old Kids vs. New Kids.

I ordered it this year? I've presumed all this time it was the reformulated one. Is there anything I should be looking for in the ingredient list?
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2014 3:47 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
......There's also a slightly higher % of zinc oxide in the new Ocean Tested- 20%. I'm pretty sure that the sunscreens were reformulated in order to accommodate a different zinc oxide. I believe it's ZinClear......

If the zinc oxide used in Burnout is ZinClear, then the active zinc oxide % per se in the sunscreen is only half of the ZinClear; that is, the active ZnO % is 10% vs 20% ZinClear.

http://www.dow.com/personalcare/technologies/uvtechnologies/zinclear.htm
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2014 11:42 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:

If the zinc oxide used in Burnout is ZinClear, then the active zinc oxide % per se in the sunscreen is only half of the ZinClear; that is, the active ZnO % is 10% vs 20% ZinClear.

That's correct. Since Burnout says that the new Ocean Tested sunscreen is 20% zinc oxide and if my hunch that Burnout has switched to zinclear is correct, then Ocean Tested is 40% zinclear, which results in 20% zinc oxide.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2014 11:52 am      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:

I ordered it this year? I've presumed all this time it was the reformulated one. Is there anything I should be looking for in the ingredient list?

Here are the ingredients lists of the 2 versions.

NEW BurnOut KIDS Physical Sunscreen SPF 35

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide (non-nano) 18.9%
Other Ingredients: Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Polysorbate 60, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Stearate, Cetearyl Glucoside, Stearyl Alcohol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Polyglyceryl-3 Ricinoleate, Isostearic Acid, Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan, Helionori, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Plantago Lanceolata (Plantain) Leaf Extract, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Ethylhexylglycerin.

OLD Burnout Kids Physical Sunscreen SPF 30

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 18.6%
Other Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water), Capric/Capryllic Triglycerides, Vegetable Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Sorbitol, Imperata Cylindrical (Root) Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitan Stearate, Arabidopsis Extract, Plantago Lanceolata (Plantain) Leaf Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Plankton Extract, Xanthan Gum, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C).

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2014 5:12 am      Reply with quote
Nimue,

May I know from which source you got the info that Burnout is using Zinclear?

If they are using Zinclear, I am interested in it. I used BurnOut Eco-Sensitive & Kids and found them heavy white cast Sad
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2014 7:35 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
Nimue,

May I know from which source you got the info that Burnout is using Zinclear?

If they are using Zinclear, I am interested in it. I used BurnOut Eco-Sensitive & Kids and found them heavy white cast Sad

Haha, the only source is my expert opinion based on my experience with physical sunscreen Laughing

Burnout did NOT at any point mention zinclear. It's just my suspicion. If your priority is white cast, then certainly try the reformulated Ocean Tested. Honestly I don't recommend the Kids I found it really difficult to spread but that could be my own opinion. While I found Old Burnout Kids amazing and my HG, other people had different opinions...

But since I cannot help myself, this is on the old burnout, but I think it may apply to the new one. My recommendation was to only order burnout directly from burnout and NOT from secondary sources such as amazon. I did that once and the tube was a little old, which made it less pleasant to use and gave some white cast. It's more likely to be fresh if you order direct. Ordering from a secondary source, who knows how old the product is.

Thu May 08, 2014 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if this has been posted already but here is a blog post regarding the various reformulations:

sunscreen: BurnOut reformulations
http://gingerrrama.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/sunscreen-burnout-reformulations/
havana8

Thu May 08, 2014 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:

Other Ingredients: Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Polysorbate 60, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Stearate, Cetearyl Glucoside, Stearyl Alcohol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Polyglyceryl-3 Ricinoleate, Isostearic Acid, Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan, Helionori, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Plantago Lanceolata (Plantain) Leaf Extract, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Ethylhexylglycerin.

Here are the INCI ingredient listings for ZinClear:

ZinClear IM 50AB
Zinc Oxide (and) C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (and) Isostearic Acid (and) Polyhydroxystearic Acid
General, all-purpose product – recommended for all applications; good feel, spreadability

ZinClear IM 50CCT
Zinc Oxide (and) Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (and) Glyceryl Isostearate (and) Polyhydroxystearic Acid
Natural/ECOCERT products; beach wear and daily wear applications

ZinClear IM 50JJ
Zinc Oxide (and) Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (and) Glyceryl Isostearate (and) Polyhydroxystearic Acid
Natural/ECOCERT products; beach wear and daily wear applications

dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2014 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
dionie wrote:

OLD Burnout Kids Physical Sunscreen SPF 30

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 18.6%
Other Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water), Capric/Capryllic Triglycerides, Vegetable Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Sorbitol, Imperata Cylindrical (Root) Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitan Stearate, Arabidopsis Extract, Plantago Lanceolata (Plantain) Leaf Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Plankton Extract, Xanthan Gum, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C).

Wow, I have the old version, ordered in January. Thanks so much for the ingredient list. That rash I was complaining about has mostly gone, but I think it was food related.
Oh what to do now?! Confused I loved the kids one. It took so long to discover it.
IMHO I think they've added too much for something meant for kids. I actually use it on my kids as my daughter is a bit like me and has sensitive skin. But then again its still better than most stuff out there.

I'm going to take your advice and try the ocean tested one. I have tried the previous formulation and found it a bit thicker than the kids one, so because I liked the kids, never used it again. But now that everything is reformulated perhaps I should try it again. I do like that it has water as its first ingredient. My skin is sensitive, combination - drier (due to retinols etc)and clogs easily. Still get breakouts. Hopefully it will be okay.

There's also the ecosensitive one. I've never tried that one before. Do you have any thoughts or experiences on this one?

Edited to add:
I'm going to order all 3 sunscreens and test them out myself. I figure worst case scenario I just use them on my body. I'll update when I test them for at least a couple weeks each one.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2014 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Tried the new Burnout Ocean Tested and really loved it. I've used the old formula in the past and loved it also. Can't tell much difference. Maybe a tab bit less whitening.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2014 9:31 am      Reply with quote
http://gingerrrama.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/burnout-sunscreens-an-update/
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2014 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Pandax12 wrote:
Tried the new Burnout Ocean Tested and really loved it. I've used the old formula in the past and loved it also. Can't tell much difference. Maybe a tab bit less whitening.

Great! I've been using it and now that I'm used to it I'm happy with it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2014 10:32 am      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:

Wow, I have the old version, ordered in January. Thanks so much for the ingredient list. That rash I was complaining about has mostly gone, but I think it was food related.
Oh what to do now?! Confused I loved the kids one. It took so long to discover it.
IMHO I think they've added too much for something meant for kids. I actually use it on my kids as my daughter is a bit like me and has sensitive skin. But then again its still better than most stuff out there.

I'm going to take your advice and try the ocean tested one. I have tried the previous formulation and found it a bit thicker than the kids one, so because I liked the kids, never used it again. But now that everything is reformulated perhaps I should try it again. I do like that it has water as its first ingredient. My skin is sensitive, combination - drier (due to retinols etc)and clogs easily. Still get breakouts. Hopefully it will be okay.

There's also the ecosensitive one. I've never tried that one before. Do you have any thoughts or experiences on this one?

Edited to add:
I'm going to order all 3 sunscreens and test them out myself. I figure worst case scenario I just use them on my body. I'll update when I test them for at least a couple weeks each one.

Sounds like a plan! Let us know your feelings on each one.

Eco-sensitive: The way it's always been in my experience is that the kids one is right in between the eco-sensitive one and the ocean tested. It used to be that the kids one was "just right" for me. But now that it's shifted and I prefer the ocean tested one, I doubt that the eco-sensitive will be better. I bet that the qualities that make the kids one inferior to the current ocean tested one in my experience will be even more pronounced in the eco sensitive version.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2014 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
dionie wrote:

Edited to add:

Sounds like a plan! Let us know your feelings on each one.

Eco-sensitive: The way it's always been in my experience is that the kids one is right in between the eco-sensitive one and the ocean tested. It used to be that the kids one was "just right" for me. But now that it's shifted and I prefer the ocean tested one, I doubt that the eco-sensitive will be better. I bet that the qualities that make the kids one inferior to the current ocean tested one in my experience will be even more pronounced in the eco sensitive version.

Agree totally. I'm savouring every last drop of my old formula kids sunscreen Smile
But I've tried all three. If I pick worse to best it would be :
1. Kids. Wouldn't use on my kids.
2. Eco sensitive. I can't believe this is actually made for sensitive skins. You think the ingredients would be less in this one. This one is the least "tackiest' and not as thick as the ocean tested, which I thought I would like better. However it dries quicker, so application needs to be quick and it ironically feels "heavier" and 'tackier' on the skin for longer compared to the ocean tested one.
3. So once I'm out of the old kids formula I will use Ocean tested one. Not sure if you would agree, but that "thickness' and 'tackiness' I feel, initialy when I put it on my skin,eventually subsides, after a few minutes. So then it feels okay. However, for similar ingredients to the other two, I like that this one is made to last longer on the skin. So that's a big plus for me. The only deciding factor would be whether or not this will cause skin breakouts. There's alot of new stuff in here, so only time will tell with that issue. Hope it won't be the case as I still prefer this formula to Invisible zinc ESP I once used.... there's nothing else out there I have been happy with.
lionesscg
5% products discount

Fri May 30, 2014 3:54 am      Reply with quote
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, so excited to share info, I love all your knowledge!

I was just wondering... This product seems amazing but isn't it missing titanium dioxide??
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2014 9:25 am      Reply with quote
lionesscg wrote:
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, so excited to share info, I love all your knowledge!

I was just wondering... This product seems amazing but isn't it missing titanium dioxide??

Titanium Dioxide offers insufficient UVA-1 coverage between 350-400nm. While it may offer some extra UVB protection and is sometimes added with zinc sunscreen formulas, zinc oxide is fine on it's own for both UVA and UVB protection. Then there is the debate as to whether Titanium Dioxide generates free radicals when used as a sunscreen.The type of coating it has plays a key roll. I've not researched this much.

http://www.smartskincare.com/skinprotection/sunblocks/sunblock_titanium-dioxide.html
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2014 11:36 am      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:

Agree totally. I'm savouring every last drop of my old formula kids sunscreen Smile
But I've tried all three. If I pick worse to best it would be :
1. Kids. Wouldn't use on my kids.
2. Eco sensitive. I can't believe this is actually made for sensitive skins. You think the ingredients would be less in this one. This one is the least "tackiest' and not as thick as the ocean tested, which I thought I would like better. However it dries quicker, so application needs to be quick and it ironically feels "heavier" and 'tackier' on the skin for longer compared to the ocean tested one.
3. So once I'm out of the old kids formula I will use Ocean tested one. Not sure if you would agree, but that "thickness' and 'tackiness' I feel, initialy when I put it on my skin,eventually subsides, after a few minutes. So then it feels okay. However, for similar ingredients to the other two, I like that this one is made to last longer on the skin. So that's a big plus for me. The only deciding factor would be whether or not this will cause skin breakouts. There's alot of new stuff in here, so only time will tell with that issue. Hope it won't be the case as I still prefer this formula to Invisible zinc ESP I once used.... there's nothing else out there I have been happy with.

I agree with everything (though I haven't tried the new eco sensitive). I also don't mind some thickness as long as it's easy to spread. I share your concern with skin breakouts. The old kids was magical, it really took great care of my skin. All I did was put on kids sunscreen (and wash my face just with plain water) and my skin looked fantastic all the time.

I believe the new ocean tested isn't quite as magical but it shouldn't be too bad. You have to keep in mind zinc oxide by itself is incredibly skin healing and acne preventative. Even if it's not going to be quite as magical for the skin as the old kids, it can't be too bad... Even if it's somewhat more comedogenic, with 20% zinc oxide it can't be too bad.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2014 11:40 am      Reply with quote
lionesscg wrote:

I don't care about titanium dioxide. I don't shun it, but I also don't look for it. All I care about is the % of zinc oxide. If the zinc oxide is around 20%, that's as good as it gets...

[You still have to put on a thick layer, it's ok to rub it in, and reapply after significant sweating or contact with water]

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2014 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
lionesscg wrote:

I don't care about titanium dioxide. I don't shun it, but I also don't look for it. All I care about is the % of zinc oxide. If the zinc oxide is around 20%, that's as good as it gets...

[You still have to put on a thick layer, it's ok to rub it in, and reapply after significant sweating or contact with water]

Couldn't agree with your more. Plus what you mentioned above, its such a shame the magic is gone from their kids formula. But I agree that the ocean tested is not bad. Better than most zinc based sunscreens out there.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Ocean Tested contains Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice.

Some say that it is not good used in topical products.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6506326

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide (non-nano) 20%

Other Ingredients: Purified Water, Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Capric/ Caprylic Triglycerides, Sorbitan Stearate, Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Organic Avocado Oil*, Virgin Hemp Seed Oil, Organic Cucumber Extract*, Organic Green Tea Extract*, Tocopherols, Organic Pomegranate Juice*, Helionori, Hyaluronic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hydrogenated Methyl Abiate, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Seems mainly one person on this forum keeps bringing this non issue up.(not you summer2004) Unless your a hairless mouse or using it with copper, I would not have any concerns. Besides, those studies are referring to Aloe Vera alone. Not in a well formulated product like Burnout with many other ingredients that are anti-UV such as Zinc.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:04 am      Reply with quote
Pandax12 wrote:
Seems mainly one person on this forum keeps bringing this non issue up.(not you summer2004)......

Oh...I am relieved Smile
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Pandax12 wrote:
Seems mainly one person on this forum keeps bringing this non issue up.(not you summer2004) Unless your a hairless mouse or using it with copper, I would not have any concerns. Besides, those studies are referring to Aloe Vera alone. Not in a well formulated product like Burnout with many other ingredients that are anti-UV such as Zinc.

LOL you can hide your head in the sand Panda but others realize aloe is a bad idea in sunscreens too. EvaVictoria MD on Longecity (for one) spoke about it:

"Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:53 AM
That is correct, Aloe Vera has been linked to make skin more sensitive to UVR damage.
It is an interesting question why manufacturers still add Aloe Vera (and other sensitizing ingredients in the presence of UVR).
Maybe because Aloe Vera is well known and has the fame of being soothing? It is cheap so additional cost will be eliminated for production. Most often it is unfortunately the cost that decide whether a product will see daylight or not."

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/22050-my-new-sunscreen-launched/page-5#entry628103

Im sure you realize that hairless mice are used in lab tests because of their similarity to human skin, right?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Pandax12 wrote:

LOL you can hide your head in the sand Panda but others realize aloe is a bad idea in sunscreens too. EvaVictoria MD on Longecity (for one) spoke about it:

"Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:53 AM
That is correct, Aloe Vera has been linked to make skin more sensitive to UVR damage.
It is an interesting question why manufacturers still add Aloe Vera (and other sensitizing ingredients in the presence of UVR).
Maybe because Aloe Vera is well known and has the fame of being soothing? It is cheap so additional cost will be eliminated for production. Most often it is unfortunately the cost that decide whether a product will see daylight or not."

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/22050-my-new-sunscreen-launched/page-5#entry628103

Im sure you realize that hairless mice are used in lab tests because of their similarity to human skin, right?

Yea just like all the tests on mice for everything from supplements to food are supposed to be equal to humans. I'm very aware of what Eva Victoria say's. I've followed her for years. While she is spot on in most of her info, she is anything but the final word on sunscreens. I've seen her shot down a number of times at longecity.org for bad info. LOL a quick Google search showed me nothing to support your claim about aloe. Maybe there is that (1) hairless mouse test out there somewhere.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |