Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Burnout Sunscreen Review (physical sunscreen) -RAVE
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:32 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

Can anyone compare it to Clarins or Neutrogena or Shiseido sunblocks?

I have used the Neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch and a sample of Clarins Brightening Day Lotion. Quite honestly, both of those "feel" a lot better on my skin than the Burnout. To my skin the Neutrogena and Clarins are both "lighter" feeling and neither of those 2 leave any sort of tacky feeling on my skin. Have you ever used the Dermaquest sunscreen? To me the Burnout is very similar, only slightly "heavier" feeling. (ETA that I am only taking about the Burnout Kids version with these comparisons.)

rileygirl, I have not tried Dermaquest, but I'm using Clarins High Protection Screen now and quite like it.

Why did u stop using Neutrogena ultra sheer?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:41 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

Why did u stop using Neutrogena ultra sheer?

Because I want to use a physical sunscreen for my face! I do use the Neutrogena for my body still, though!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:51 am      Reply with quote
I don't think it makes sense to compare burnout, which is a purely physical sunscreen, to chemical sunscreens like Neutrogena. It's not even apples and oranges, it's more like ice cream and oranges. Sure ice cream may be a little bit more delicious in the short term (unless you have lactose intolerance or you're sensitive to dairy) but it's not good for you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:50 am      Reply with quote
This sunscreen sounds good. Nimue, is it micronized zinc?

The official site says they stock at wholefoods- I hope that means international wholefood stores Smile I'm in London.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I don't think it makes sense to compare burnout, which is a purely physical sunscreen, to chemical sunscreens like Neutrogena. It's not even apples and oranges, it's more like ice cream and oranges. Sure ice cream may be a little bit more delicious in the short term (unless you have lactose intolerance or you're sensitive to dairy) but it's not good for you!

Nimue, we were comparing the "levels of tackiness" of the sunscreens, not their harmful effects.

Also, as far I understand, Clarins Day Screen High Protection emulsion is a physical sunscreen with Titanium dioxide as its main ingredient.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

Is there a way of knowing how protective this particular formula is against UVA spectrum?

Thanks, BF
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Burnout has 18.6% micronized zinc oxide and yes it is very effective against both UVA and UVB. I've been using it all summer in very sun heavy activities and it has protected me perfectly.

It's not about the harmful effects of chemical sunscreens, it's more that a chemical sunscreen is a completely different product than a physical sunscreen. On the subject of clarins, I looked for it online and I can't find the % of titanium dioxide. In any case, it has no zinc oxide and that's what matters for UVA protection anyway. Earlier in this thread, I dismissed NIA24 sunscreen because of the low % of zinc oxide. By the same logic, I'm dismissing clarins and chemical sunscreens like neutrogena go without saying.

Why in the world would a chemical sunscreen *ever* be tacky? It has no minerals in it! It only makes sense to compare physical sunscreens with high zinc oxide content to other physical sunscreens with high zinc oxide content.

I’m all for comparative reviews, and I usually frame my experience of a product in terms of other similar products. However, a physical sunscreen with 15-20% zinc oxide is just not comparable to a sunscreen with no zinc oxide at all. Dermaquest, on the other hand, is also a physical sunscreen with a high zinc oxide content (although for me it’s too expensive) and a comparison of burnout and dermaquest is certainly appropriate and relevant.

If you’re not familiar with physical sunscreens, then you try burnout and you say that it’s tacky or white, you may be giving a false negative impression to someone who uses physical sunscreens and is wondering about trying burnout. This person will hear tacky and think it’s tacky relative to other physical sunscreens.

(that’s not to say that your opinion and feedback isn’t valid or important if you’re not familiar with physical sunscreens- I just don’t think it’s relevant to bring chemical sunscreens into this thread)

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Nimue.I'm using Invisble Zinc spf 30 which contains 18 % micronized zinc oxide. I will stick to that as its easy to get hold of in London.

I wanted to try out the IZ Environmental Skin Protector but it contains Citrus Medico Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Burnout has 18.6% micronized zinc oxide and yes it is very effective against both UVA and UVB. I've been using it all summer in very sun heavy activities and it has protected me perfectly.

It's not about the harmful effects of chemical sunscreens, it's more that a chemical sunscreen is a completely different product than a physical sunscreen. On the subject of clarins, I looked for it online and I can't find the % of titanium dioxide. In any case, it has no zinc oxide and that's what matters for UVA protection anyway. Earlier in this thread, I dismissed NIA24 sunscreen because of the low % of zinc oxide. By the same logic, I'm dismissing clarins and chemical sunscreens like neutrogena go without saying.

Why in the world would a chemical sunscreen *ever* be tacky? It has no minerals in it! It only makes sense to compare physical sunscreens with high zinc oxide content to other physical sunscreens with high zinc oxide content.

I’m all for comparative reviews, and I usually frame my experience of a product in terms of other similar products. However, a physical sunscreen with 15-20% zinc oxide is just not comparable to a sunscreen with no zinc oxide at all. Dermaquest, on the other hand, is also a physical sunscreen with a high zinc oxide content (although for me it’s too expensive) and a comparison of burnout and dermaquest is certainly appropriate and relevant.

If you’re not familiar with physical sunscreens, then you try burnout and you say that it’s tacky or white, you may be giving a false negative impression to someone who uses physical sunscreens and is wondering about trying burnout. This person will hear tacky and think it’s tacky relative to other physical sunscreens.

(that’s not to say that your opinion and feedback isn’t valid or important if you’re not familiar with physical sunscreens- I just don’t think it’s relevant to bring chemical sunscreens into this thread)

What if a person has nothing else to compare it with i.e. has only tried chemical sunscreens? Some of the chemical ones can be very sticky. I think, it does not matter what substances you're comparing if the comparison is with respect to just one characteristic. I can even compare it to vaseline and say "the cream feels as greasy as vaseline" and everyone will know this feeling.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 am      Reply with quote
I think the "feel" of sunscreens with high zinc oxide (more than 15%) is distinctive. In comparison to chemical sunscreens, they do have a somewhat "tacky" feel, especially if you live in a country with high humidity. This seems to be a characteristic of high zinc oxide sunscreens. Perhaps those living in drier climates wouldn't feel the "tackiness" so much thus resulting in differing reviews from people in different countries. However, people who prefer physical sunscreens for their mechanism of action and better safety profile might well be prepared to tolerate the tackiness. It does pose a bit of a problem for those who apply a lot of make up though. Especially powder make up. Skin isn't so smooth and the powder doesn't apply evenly, tending to "stick" in certain areas because of the friction caused by the tackiness.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Why do posters on MUA claim that physical ss does not offer good uva protection? I thought zinc was one of the best sunblockers around Question
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
Why do posters on MUA claim that physical ss does not offer good uva protection? I thought zinc was one of the best sunblockers around Question

I am always confused by this, too, LondonJamie. The chart that was posted here on EDS somewhere showed that zinc had the widest range of protection. And, I was just on a site yesterday (sorry, can't remember which one) that said zinc covered uvb, uva1 and uva2. I am fairly certain that mexoryl only covers one of the uva's and not both ranges.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:52 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
LondonJamie wrote:

I am always confused by this, too, LondonJamie. The chart that was posted here on EDS somewhere showed that zinc had the widest range of protection. And, I was just on a site yesterday (sorry, can't remember which one) that said zinc covered uvb, uva1 and uva2. I am fairly certain that mexoryl only covers one of the uva's and not both ranges.

I'd say different perspectives.

If you are using the PPD to determine the level of UVA protection, then yes, physical sunscreens do not offer good UVA protection. Zinc oxide is not very efficient and will not give as high a PPD level as chemical sunscreens. The maximum a physical sunscreen can achieve is a PPD of around 8. That's compared to the chemical sunscreens of eg Bioderma with PPD 38.

I *personally* do not like stressing myself over PPD levels. I thought i read somewhere (one of the MUA notepads?) that PPD doesn't really measure UVA-I protection that well. So there's only this much those PPD numbers mean.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:19 am      Reply with quote
The CIBA generator gave 18.6% of zinc oxide a PPD of 9.1

I'm sticking to zinc. Although zinc doesn't have a very high PPD it is stable and doesn't put the skin under oxidative stress to work. Chemicals may have a higher PPD but for everyday use I think the negatives outway the positives.

For those who don't put their face in the sun but do apply chemical sunscreens everyday, how are you sure you aren't creating more free radical damage than you would have from not applying anything?

This is the conclusion I have drawn from continually using chemical sunscreens for the last couple of years. My cheeks look plumper and the skin around my eyes doesn't feel tired when I have a zinc sunscreen on. Just my personal experience.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:26 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
...The chart that was posted here on EDS somewhere showed that zinc had the widest range of protection...

Hi Rileygirl,

Is it the chart that you're talking about?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=37359
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:22 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
...The chart that was posted here on EDS somewhere showed that zinc had the widest range of protection...

Hi Rileygirl,

Is it the chart that you're talking about?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=37359

That is it, summer2004. Am I reading it wrong?
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:25 am      Reply with quote
circus wrote:
I thought i read somewhere (one of the MUA notepads?) that PPD doesn't really measure UVA-I protection that well. So there's only this much those PPD numbers mean.

Here's the link:
http://makeupalley.com/account/vn.asp?u=sunscreenFAQ#protective

LondonJamie i must have remembered wrongly. It might be a max of PPD 10 that a physical sunscreen can achieve, not 8. Smile
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:53 am      Reply with quote
I keep reading and reading everything I get my hands on - and cannot determine which formula wins the prize for *protection across the broad spectrum of rays, all rays*.

Appears that the Tinsorbs are best, but what are their drawbacks?

Thanks, BF
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I keep reading and reading everything I get my hands on - and cannot determine which formula wins the prize for *protection across the broad spectrum of rays, all rays*.

Thanks, BF

Tinosorbs are chemical filters, meaning they convert light energy to heat energy. There *might* be some people whose skin cannot take the heat. I personally find that i turn red with Tinosorbs when i do sports.

Zinc oxide is also broad spectrum protection. I don't use it regularly because like what m1rox says, the high zinc oxide sunscreens have a tacky feel in the hot and humid climate i live in.

So there you go. Pros and cons. I'd think it is best to go experiment and go with what your skin *likes*. Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:23 am      Reply with quote
My crazy method that's working wonderfully here in hot, humid and super sunny Florida.
I have been using the Burnout Kids formula followed by Colorescience Orb powder SS and then if I am making up that day my MMU. I have found not only am I getting great protection with the Burnout/Orb combination but also the Orb acts like a primer that counteracts any "tacky" feel but also allows my MMU to apply beautifully! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
circus wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

Thanks, BF

Tinosorbs are chemical filters, meaning they convert light energy to heat energy. There *might* be some people whose skin cannot take the heat. I personally find that i turn red with Tinosorbs when i do sports.

Zinc oxide is also broad spectrum protection. I don't use it regularly because like what m1rox says, the high zinc oxide sunscreens have a tacky feel in the hot and humid climate i live in.

So there you go. Pros and cons. I'd think it is best to go experiment and go with what your skin *likes*. Very Happy

I can't speak for Burnout, becuase I haven't tried it. However, I picked up a new tube of Invisible Zinc's Face and Body spf 30 (18% zinc) and they have reformulated it. The newer version is much creamier and easier to apply. Definitely not as tacky as the previous version (but that wasn't that bad to begin with). It's also paraben free now. Its my staple.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:

I can't speak for Burnout, becuase I haven't tried it. However, I picked up a new tube of Invisible Zinc's Face and Body spf 30 (18% zinc) and they have reformulated it. The newer version is much creamier and easier to apply. Definitely not as tacky as the previous version (but that wasn't that bad to begin with). It's also paraben free now. Its my staple.

Hey,

Do you have an ingredients list?
(I hope they started disclosing ingredients besides the % of zinc oxide and parabens!) and the price and size?

Do you, by any chance Very Happy, want to try burnout to tell me how it compares to the reformulated invisible zinc? Since invisible zinc and burnout have about the same % of zinc oxide, it would be great to have them compared.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I bought the The Environmental Skin Protector of Invizible Zinc which contained 20% of Zinc Oxide.

My friends & I all find this sunscreen too tacky for us who living in Asia.

I put it the drawer after using it 2 times.

The ingredients are as follows:

Aqua, Zinc Oxide, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, PEG-20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Xanthan Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Benzyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Citrus Medico Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Extract, Fumaric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:39 am      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:

Hey thanks! I must say it is very frustrating how manufacturers like to reformulate sunscreens every now and then (for better or worse). I swear it is just part of their evil plot to make us keep on buying and trying. Bad Grin
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Dark Moon,

Have you come across any research showing the effectiveness of zinc oxide (and at various strengths) across a broad UV spectrum?

I have not been able to - and usually you have more success Wink

BF
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |