Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Preventing Cancer...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:37 am      Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaDt3AJQ98c

This is an awesome video about cancer prevention... lots of stats...

And in the END... I suspect if you follow this guys advise, you're gonna look extra purty!

5% products discount

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this lecture. It was fantastic. I just watched it from beginning to end- at first dismissing it thinking I already knew a lot. Wish everyone would have the open-mindedness to accept that we have had the wool pulled over our eyes for much too long...

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
I was really blown away with some of the info. Watching the obesity of the US increase year after year was just... WOW! REALLY??????

This guy has a great sense of humor too!

It's a long video... watch the at least the first 10 minutes... it goes faster than you think!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this Claudia. I thought it was great and I watched the entire thing. His lecture was very enlightening. (And, he does have a great sense of humor!)
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:13 am      Reply with quote
I enjoyed that, Claudia. I think I'm going to have to buy his book. I knew bits and pieces of what he had to say but I liked having it put in historical context. To me, one of the most interesting points he made was about our social networks and the role friends play in cancer recovery. I was reading some excerpts of his book on Amazon where he gives some tips about cell phone use. I really worry about the kids of today because of the time they spend on the phone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:35 am      Reply with quote
The lecture on YouTube gives good summary of the book contents along with some diagrams from the book. I read Anticancer book by David Servan-Schreiber sometime last year. He has a lot of examples with real people similar to the letter to a woman that he used in the video.
Anticancer: A New Way of Life
By David Servan-Schreiber
http://www.amazon.com/Anticancer-New-Life-David-Servan-Schreiber/dp/0670020346

Another good anti-cancer book that I liked better then a book mentioned above is Foods to Fight Cancer by Richard Beliveau.
Foods to Fight Cancer: Essential foods to help prevent cancer
By Richard Beliveau
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0756628679/ref=oss_product#noopAs

As it is obvious from the title of the book it focuses on food aspect, and is really clear and well written. I think that David used some of Richard's info when writing his Anticancer book. I implemented some of recommendations from Foods to Fight Cancer, although I had been eating pretty healthy anyway.
Marie-Andree
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
This is such a great video. As a bonus, the man has a nice Normandie accent. Once you start watching the video, you're hooked. I sent the link to all my children and acquaintances. Thanks Claudia for the wonderful link.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
Marie-Andrée wrote:
Once you start watching the video, you're hooked.

I agree! I could not stop watching.
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes I think no matter what you do some Cancer is just genetic. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't try to prevent it.

My Dad's family has a history of prostate cancer. My Dad is the healthiest person I know. I believe he did everything he good not to get Prostate Cancer. I felt so bad for him when he was diagnosed because he felt so bad that he couldn't beat it.

I was at an event this weekend and I met an older gentleman. We got to talking and he told me that his son died of Bowel cancer at 28! I felt so bad for him! I keep thinking about it. No one should have to die from cancer especially someone so young! I hope they find a cure!
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, the Dr. Talks about the fact that we all have cancer cells. That basically it's a given.

So, he then talks about all the things you can do to keep them from multiplying and taking over.

And perhaps there is nothing that SOME people can do. But I don't know how you would know if you're that person or not...

Very sad to lose anyone young... and even more so if it's preventable.

My DH is a cancer survivor... It was quite a blow when we got the DX. We were both 33 (I think) at the time... He's in full remission. But it's terribly scary!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Yes, the Dr. Talks about the fact that we all have cancer cells. That basically it's a given.

So, he then talks about all the things you can do to keep them from multiplying and taking over.

And perhaps there is nothing that SOME people can do. But I don't know how you would know if you're that person or not...

Very sad to lose anyone young... and even more so if it's preventable.

My DH is a cancer survivor... It was quite a blow when we got the DX. We were both 33 (I think) at the time... He's in full remission. But it's terribly scary!

I'm glad to hear he's alright! I hope he continues to be healthy. Smile
Marie-Andree
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:42 am      Reply with quote
What needs to be emphasized here is that the super-interesting doctor giving the talk in the video had BRAIN CANCER twice. That's why he delved into finding a way to avoid getting it again. Please watch the video: it is full of hope.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Claudia, thanks for sharing. I just watched it!!! The whole thing. And will be forwarding the link to my hubby and few friends.
Great stuff!
R.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:55 am      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:
Sometimes I think no matter what you do some Cancer is just genetic. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't try to prevent it.

My Dad's family has a history of prostate cancer. My Dad is the healthiest person I know. I believe he did everything he good not to get Prostate Cancer. I felt so bad for him when he was diagnosed because he felt so bad that he couldn't beat it.

I was at an event this weekend and I met an older gentleman. We got to talking and he told me that his son died of Bowel cancer at 28! I felt so bad for him! I keep thinking about it. No one should have to die from cancer especially someone so young! I hope they find a cure!

Genetics was one of the questions I would have liked to ask him about - I wish I had been sitting in the audience. That's one of the reasons I want to buy his book. I thought maybe he addressed that in more detail. I also would like to ask him about supplements and whether he thinks you can get the same results from those. For example, I know he mentioned putting garlic on our food, but I'm not that crazy about garlic. I've been thinking about taking it as a supplement but wonder if supplements give us the full benefit.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much for sharing that video! I will definitely take this tips and incorporate them in my life!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Wow... I'm so glad that so many of you watched this...

I have been referring to it over and over again since I've watched it. Forwarding it to this person and that!

If anyone has additional info along the lines. PLEASE post.

Thanks!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:20 am      Reply with quote
I love stuff like this! It's really my passion and also my sister's who is writing another book Survival Guide........how to be beautiful, healthy etc. in this toxic world.

We are focusing on really cool interesting things like mitochondrial decay, in that I have a mitochondrial disease (CFS) I've figured out so much of healing and also disease, aging is also a mitochondrial disease!

So what to do? Stay away from toxic stressors, feed, nourish, and rest your body -- eat real food, don't be sleep deprived etc. Simple but hard to implement in this world that bombards you with toxic stressors.

I just worked on the toxins chapter (researching for her), and even knowing this stuff it's so scary.

Like Dryer Sheets, my poster child for chemical toxins, they saturate your clothes with phalates and then put them against the largest organ of your body to absorb those chemicals, phalates are linked to breast cancer.

Even though I don't use chemicals I still am exposed to breathing them because all my neighbors use dryer sheets....arrrrggghhhhh.....

We are selling out the first ed. of her book Death by Supermarket: The Fattening, Dumbing Down, and Poisoning of America so she can re-write and update it, it's only 10$ on Amazon and her site. And really explains all this stuff and she's really fun and easy to read.

here's an excerpt
http://www.nancydeville.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Death_by_Supermarket_excerpt.pdf

Thanks for the youtube link, I have a friend whose a doctor in the UK, has myeloma, and I wanted to find something convincing to send him!!!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Secretly.. That's Awesome. (although, I'm stirring further and further away from grains, and feeling amazingly better) There seems to be only a very small handful that have actual nutrient, and lots of studies that are starting to tie them to aggrevation of many issues. Lots of auto-immune, and you hear how kids with ADD, ADHD, and those anywhere on the spectrum do better without... interesting stuff...

Granted YOUR book should be written as a comic book... Secretly's Archnemesis... (with sound... Dun..dun..dunnnnnn...) The Dreaded Dryer Sheet! The cover could be a front load Dryer with your cape hanging out the shut door while you fish it out!(that's supposed to be funny... not a slam or anything.)

Seriously though, it really is something to worry about... What we're putting on our clothing or sleeping on and really breathing... our largest organ.

I've had to change detergents several times to avoid family rashes! No dryer sheets.

I WISH companies had to post all their ingredients... Did you know that dry tide used to have an ingrediant that is FIBERGLASS??? WTH?? I learned about this from some marketing of another brand, but I looked up old MSDS sheets and sure enough... there it was... Dry not liquid!

Do you recommend any store bought brands? or do you mix up your own washer goodies? (I would prefer NOT to smell ANYTHING on our clothing... but if there HAS to be a scent then something fresh. Lavender is a go to sheet smell)

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:58 am      Reply with quote
That is hilarious. Laughing

I would very much love to be the superhero that swoops into laundry rooms of unknowing victims of fabric softener and warn them of the dangers!!! hahaa.............

my best friend is going into environmental protection because she believes you have to regulate toxins at ground level, I agree, people have no idea, they think if you can buy it then it must be safe.

Honestly I'm a bargain hunter so I buy Mrs. Meyers laundry det and other stuff I see at Marshalls, otherwise I use seventh generation etc. I'm still looking into what is the best and most affordable. But I AGREE with you, I don't want to smell anything when I wash my clothes and clean my house.

Oh and I use dryer balls in the dryer instead of fabric softener (something I have never used).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
secretly wrote:

I just worked on the toxins chapter (researching for her), and even knowing this stuff it's so scary.

Like Dryer Sheets, my poster child for chemical toxins, they saturate your clothes with phalates and then put them against the largest organ of your body to absorb those chemicals, phalates are linked to breast cancer.

Even though I don't use chemicals I still am exposed to breathing them because all my neighbors use dryer sheets....arrrrggghhhhh.....

I use Bounce Dryer Sheets, usually Unscented. The information given on the box says "biodegradable cationic softeners, free of dyes and perfumes; dermatologist tested and mild on skin." Not much information there, so I hunted around and found this:

Ingredients (All Varieties):

Dipalmethyl Hydroxyethylammoinum Methosulfate (Softening and Antistatic agent)
Polyester Substrate (Carrier)
Clay (Rheology Modifier)
*Fragrance (Fragrance) *Bounce Free products contain no fragrance.

I also found this on the Proctor & Gamble Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS):

Bounce Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets (all variations except Free):

Nonionic and cationic fabric conditioning agents, perfume, and non-woven cloth. Bounce dryer sheets are not subject to warning labeling under California Proposition 65.

Where are the Phthalates?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
phthalates are endocrine dysruptors that have been found to reduce sperm counts, cause testicular atrophy and structural abnormalities in the reproductive systems, and linked to cancer. They first noticed feminization of male fish.........and then started making connections with chemicals.

Phthalate exposure is also linked to the obesity epidemic -- phthalate metabolites found in urine correlate with insulin resistance, precursor to Type II diabetes.

I looked for that chemical in the Bounce free, dipalmethyl hydroxyethylammoinum methosulfate and found it listed as a quaternary amine

quaternary amines are potentially dangerous – possibly linked to Parkinson’s disease and growth of cancerous tumors and certain forms of leukemia

my rule of thumb about chemicals is in general they are not safe to eat, drink, breathe, or rub on the body. Also be aware of plastics as they release endocrine disruptors, even your vinyl shower curtain liner is continually emitting VOCs that you breathe (my liners are all fabric).

"Did you know that dry tide used to have an ingrediant that is FIBERGLASS??? WTH??"............ that's pretty funny, I know!!!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
I use Mrs. Meyers too... I LOVe the smell of the Baby Blossoms...

the thing about none scent... is that I think they stink. How weird is that?

Here are the ingredients:

PRODUCT INGREDIENTS ARE AT LEAST 97% NATURALLY DERIVED.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Alcohol Ethoxylate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Coconut Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Borate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance**, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil*, Geranium Maculatum (Geranium) Oil*, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil*, Protease, Amylase, Lipase, Mannanase, orbitol, Alcohol Denat., Potassium Hydroxide, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzisothiazolinone

* certified organic
** More information on this ingredient is available in the Environmental and Safety section of Company Information.

Do you find that dryer balls soften up your clothes.

I've been using a liquid fabric softener, and I can't think of the name... eco something. Will have to look further.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
secretly wrote:
I looked for that chemical in the Bounce free, dipalmethyl hydroxyethylammoinum methosulfate and found it listed as a quaternary amine

secretly wrote:

Like Dryer Sheets, my poster child for chemical toxins, they saturate your clothes with phalates ...

Without debating the potential dangers of Phthalates and quaternary amines, could you provide a list of dryer sheet brands which contain Phthalates? Your above quote implied that they all contain this, but on closer inspection it seems the Bounce line of products doesn't. (I am assuming your research prior to writing a book chapter included examing ingredients lists for various brands.) TIA

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lacy,
I don't have a list sorry! I just stay away from chemicals. And I'm just giving my opinion.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I had to go get my dinner but here's a better reply, we are going to recommend not using products with chemicals.

this is what the Environment and Human Health, Inc., recommends:

Reducing exposures to the phthalate DEHP

DEHP is added to plastic to make it softer and to fragrances to make the smell last longer.

Avoid using plastic containers and plastic wraps in microwave ovens.

Avoid using scented candles, air fresheners, dryer sheets, and other heavily scented products, as many contain phthalates and DEHP.

Many vinyl products contain DEHP, try to avoid them, especially if they have a heavy plastic smell. DEHP is added to plastic to make it soft and pliable.

Avoid plastic shower curtains.

Avoid soft plastic toys for young children, as many contain DEHP.

Teach children not to drink water directly from garden hoses, since many hoses are plastic and contain DEHP.

Reduce your consumption of plastics. Average consumers purchase more than 200 pounds per year. Purchase materials that are recyclable or biodegradable.

Avoid exposure to BPA and DEHP during pregnancy.

Here's a couple of studies:

Duty SM, Ackerman RM, Calafat AM, Hauser R. Personal care product use predicts urinary concentrations of some phthalate monoesters. Environ Health Perspect
2005;113(11):1530–5.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16263507

Fragranced consumer products and undisclosed ingredients
Anne C. Steinemann

http://www.ce.washington.edu/people/faculty/bios/documents/Steinemann_09_Undisclosed_Ingredients.pdf

and in regard to whether dryer balls soften your clothes, honestly because I've never used fabric softener I don't know if you get the same outcome.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |