Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

lavender in sunscreens
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
butterfliesandflowers
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,
Cool just wanted to see peoples opinions on the use of lavender in sunscreens. Two which tick the boxes in other areas for me (badgers and dermalogica sensitive face block) contain it . I saw in another thread a while ago lavender oil causes photosensitivity. Would this put anyone else off using sun screens that contain it. Thanks guys xx : )
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
butterfliesandflowers wrote:
Hi everyone,
Cool just wanted to see peoples opinions on the use of lavender in sunscreens. Two which tick the boxes in other areas for me (badgers and dermalogica sensitive face block) contain it . I saw in another thread a while ago lavender oil causes photosensitivity. Would this put anyone else off using sun screens that contain it. Thanks guys xx : )

I use two sunscreens and one of them contains Lavender. ( I mix the two together) I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your applying the correct amount without tanning then it should be working.

I hope this helps. Smile
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Not only does it cause photosensitivity it can also cause contact dermatitis. One of it's components is also cytotoxic (causes cell death).

Pass.
butterfliesandflowers
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Thank you guys! Laughing sunscreens soooo confusing! Laughing
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Not only does it cause photosensitivity it can also cause contact dermatitis. One of it's components is also cytotoxic (causes cell death).

Pass.

Hi Josh,

Can you post a link to that information about Lavender as all the sources I have on essential oils don't show any precautions other than it not being used by allergic individuals?

TIA

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Just Google "lavender cytotoxic" and hundreds of sources will come up.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Just Google "lavender cytotoxic" and hundreds of sources will come up.

OK Thanks will do.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
According to the following it's kind of up for debate?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_oil?wasRedirected=true

According to advocates of alternative medicine, lavender oil can be used as an antiseptic and pain reliever to be applied to minor burns and insect bites and stings. It is also said to treat a variety of common ailments, such as sunburn and sunstroke.[1] It can also be used in massage oil mixtures, which may be effective in the relief of joint and muscle pain, or in chest rub mixtures for the relief of asthmatic and bronchitic spasm. It is also said to treat head lice when used in a hair rinse mixture, or on a fine comb to eliminate nits. Some say lavender oil may have played a role in the reduction of advanced mammary tumors in lab rats.

In vitro, lavender oil is cytotoxic as well as photosensitizing. A study demonstrated that lavender oil is cytotoxic to human skin cells in vitro (endothelial cells and fibroblasts) at a concentration of 0.25%. Linalool, a component of lavender oil, reflected the activity of the whole oil, indicating that linalool may be the active component of lavender oil.[2] The result of another study showed that aqueous extracts reduced mitotic index, but induced chromosome aberrations and mitotic aberrations in comparison with control, significantly. Aqueous extracts induced breaks, stickiness, pole deviations and micronuclei. Furthermore, these effects were related to extract concentrations.[3]

However, according to a 2005 study "although it was recently reported that lavender oil, and its major constituent linalyl acetate, are toxic to human skin cells in vitro, contact dermatitis to lavender oil appears to occur at only a very low frequency. The relevance of this in vitro toxicity to dermatological application of Lavandula oils remains unclear."[4]

In terms of photoxicity, a 2007 investigative report from European researchers stated that, "Lavender oil and sandalwood oil did not induce photohaemolysis in our test system. However, a few reports on photosensitivity reactions due to these substances have been published, e.g. one patient with persistent light reaction and a positive photo-patch test to sandalwood oil."[5]

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Every site I check references the same study cited in the post from Wikipedia?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15144499

Here is the study mentioned.

Cell Prolif. 2004 Jun;37(3):221-9.
Cytotoxicity of lavender oil and its major components to human skin cells.
Prashar A, Locke IC, Evans CS.
School of Biosciences, University of Westminster, London, UK.
Abstract
Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) oil, chiefly composed of linalyl acetate (51%) and linalool (35%), is considered to be one of the mildest of known plant essential oils and has a history in wound healing. Concerns are building about the potential for irritant or allergenic skin reactions with the use of lavender oil. This study has demonstrated that lavender oil is cytotoxic to human skin cells in vitro (endothelial cells and fibroblasts) at a concentration of 0.25% (v/v) in all cell types tested (HMEC-1, HNDF and 153BR). The major components of the oil, linalyl acetate and linalool, were also assayed under similar conditions for their cytotoxicity. The activity of linalool reflected that of the whole oil, indicating that linalool may be the active component of lavender oil. Linalyl acetate cytotoxicity was higher than that of the oil itself, suggesting suppression of its activity by an unknown factor in the oil. Membrane damage is proposed as the possible mechanism of action.
PMID: 15144499 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

MeSH Terms, Substances
LinkOut - more resources

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure if you've seen this thread, DM, but you may find a bit more discussion here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28091
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
Not sure if you've seen this thread, DM, but you may find a bit more discussion here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28091

Thank You Havana, I will read away as I use essential oils I like to keep up to date! Smile

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |