Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Purging period
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, so every time I try something new I ask myself the same questions:

How long does it take until you know it actually works? And *how* do you know that it works?

If you experience a so-called purging period how long does this typically last? If your skin clears up right away and you do not experience break outs does that mean it's not really fighting the root of the problem or does it mean it's perfect for your skin?

Just wondering what you guys' experiences are?
Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I really do think that depends on what specifically you are referring to, OCM, Retin A can cause breakouts initially for some but not others. Retin A can cause redness and peeling for some yet others seem to start it without much reaction. Obagi is going to cause peeling and redness for most as I understand it. Just some examples. Other products either don't show results or you see improvement in some aspect of the skin. Plus the issue of different time frames for different individuals also plays into how long? Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my, Retin A was baaaad for me. I used it for 4 days with no problems at all, on the 5th day, though, I started getting this terrible rash. I looked like somebody had burnt my skin! Embarassed
i stopped using it and i took about a month for the mark to go away.

I guess I was wondering more about cleansers and moisturizers, really. Stuff for acne-prone skin and nothing too extreme. For example Eve Lom or Liz Earle (I started another topic about that), Dr Hauschka CC, Murad etc.

I'm just trying to find something to tame my skin and I seem to never know what to expect.
laellis
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:18 am      Reply with quote
I can't say that I have a lot of experience with purging after trying new products (store bought), but I can tell you that after joining this forum I tried the OCM and that definitely caused me to go through a purging period. For the first few days my skin was noticeably nicer, but then I started breaking out like I haven't done in years/decades. I went back to my old cleanser and my skin slowly cleared up. After two months of experimenting with it, I've come to the conclusion that using my regular cleanser most of the time and using the OCM 3 times a week or so does wonders for my skin. The purge was rough, especially since I had never experienced one before, but I do think I've definitely learned from it.

I'm still searching for my "perfect" skin care regimen, but after finding these forums I know I'm on the right track.

Have you taken a look at the DIY board? I got a few good "recipes" there for acne treatments (aspirin and yogurt masks, Yonka pure emulsion are a few that have really made a difference for me).

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:33 am      Reply with quote
A product can still be effective without major purging. When I started tazorac I never had any major purging but it was extremely effective for me.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, girliegirl, that's what I'm hoping for. I don't want to be breaking out for weeks before I know if something works or not. Then, if it doesn't work, you're broken out more than you were before you started using the stuff in the first place - and you still need to find something else. Confused
laellis, yeah, my friend tried OCM and broke out like crazy. I am doing the aspirin mask, but I think it dries out my skin and it's not too effective. Yoghurt doesn't help too much, either.
My break outs are definitely hormonal, so maybe that's why nothing seems to work at the moment.

Still, it's always the one thing I wonder when I want to try out something new.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Penta - my breakouts are hormonal/cystic. Tazorac was the only topical that really made a difference for me. More recenlty I'm using Atralin, not sure which is more effective.

Its definitely worth a trip to the derm if you have tried several products and they have not worked.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, girliegirl, I'll look it up. Usually my acne is very light, just lately it's been a little crazy. But I've had a very stressful time, moving to another country, about to get married, etc. I hope it's going to clear up fairly soon. Definitely worth looking into, though. Thanks!

Anyways..still wondering what everybody's routine is when you try out new products? Especially if you have acne-prone skin?
I wonder how long I should wait before dismissing something, or getting a new product? Does your skin have to settle down first before you switch?
There surely is some kind of general guideline?
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, girliegirl, I'll look it up. Usually my acne is very light, just lately it's been a little crazy. But I've had a very stressful time, moving to another country, about to get married, etc. I hope it's going to clear up fairly soon. Definitely worth looking into, though. Thanks!

Anyways..still wondering what everybody's routine is when you try out new products? Especially if you have acne-prone skin?
I wonder how long I should wait before dismissing something, or getting a new product? Does your skin have to settle down first before you switch?
There surely is some kind of general guideline?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have never had breakouts or purging at all, but just reading peoples experiences I don't think there is any hard fast rule about how long it takes to adjust to a product. The only obvious thing is an extreme adverse or allergic reaction then it's clear you would stop immediately. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks DarkMoon! From what I've been reading today I think that if you break out at all, then it takes about 2 weeks for your skin to adjust to the product. Sometimes up to a month, even though that sounds like an awful long time to me. Rolling Eyes I really hate how you can never tell if it's 'purging' or if it's just the wrong product. Sigh.

Please somebody tell me why EVERYTHING always has to depend on the individual Sad
Why can there never be a clear cut solution to anything? Sad
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
Thanks DarkMoon! From what I've been reading today I think that if you break out at all, then it takes about 2 weeks for your skin to adjust to the product. Sometimes up to a month, even though that sounds like an awful long time to me. Rolling Eyes I really hate how you can never tell if it's 'purging' or if it's just the wrong product. Sigh.

Please somebody tell me why EVERYTHING always has to depend on the individual Sad

I know it would be a dream come true if everything worked beautifully for everyone! Sadly it's all so individual we just play the trial and error game! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:

I was just saying something similar to this on another thread. Yes, it can be difficult to find what works and sometimes its expensive because end up trying so many products.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Sad
Ugh, I hate trial and error Mad

Thanks, though, guys. I have already spent so much money on just finding a cleanser that works. It's ridiculous. Oh well, fingers crossed. Never give up fighting the good fight, I suppose. Smile
FlipMacoy

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
I am going through a purging phase right now...I think. Actually I'm a little confused about it.Confused
I started OCM about a month and a half ago. at first it didn't seem to do much but this past week I have developed about 7 cystic pimples on my chin. The chin is the spot that I always break out, but I've never had so many at once. In fact before OCM once I got one of these gigantic, under the skin, scarring zits, I'd use an a Neutrogena acne scrub on my chin a couple times a day and it would go away. I've never gone this long with so many before.

I'm not sure at this point if I should wait it out. I wonder if this is purging or some other kind of reaction.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Hm, I know. Isn't it confusing?
Can you go to your derm and get cortisol shots? Or ask him/her what's going on?
OCM seems to be almost 50% people who love it and 50% who have problems with it after a short while. If it didn't clear you up that much to begin with, maybe you should stop it?

Confused

So confusing. Sorry to hear about your break out, they suck Sad
laellis
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:53 am      Reply with quote
FlipMacoy wrote:
I am going through a purging phase right now...I think. Actually I'm a little confused about it.Confused
I started OCM about a month and a half ago. at first it didn't seem to do much but this past week I have developed about 7 cystic pimples on my chin. The chin is the spot that I always break out, but I've never had so many at once. In fact before OCM once I got one of these gigantic, under the skin, scarring zits, I'd use an a Neutrogena acne scrub on my chin a couple times a day and it would go away. I've never gone this long with so many before.

I'm not sure at this point if I should wait it out. I wonder if this is purging or some other kind of reaction.

I started using the OCM this spring and had a similar breakout period as well. Do you use OCM all the time? The reason I'm asking is because I find that if I only use OCM 3-4 times a week, my skin stays in much better condition. I keep testing this theory out and every time I use OCM exclusively for 4-5 days I break out with cystic acne. I'm done testing and am sticking with alternating days and my skin is loving it.

5% products discount

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:56 am      Reply with quote
I, too, have been using OCM about 5-6 weeks and really like it. However, I follow it up with Cetaphil and my Clarisonic to make sure I've gotten all the oil off and for exfoliation.

I think laellis' method of using OCM 3-4 times a week is a good idea and I'm going to try that, but I will still follow it with my C & C. I'm wanting to head off any possible purging problems.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I started using the OCM this spring and had a similar breakout period as well. Do you use OCM all the time? The reason I'm asking is because I find that if I only use OCM 3-4 times a week, my skin stays in much better condition. I keep testing this theory out and every time I use OCM exclusively for 4-5 days I break out with cystic acne. I'm done testing and am sticking with alternating days and my skin is loving it.

Good idea! I might try using OCM less often. When I first started it I was doing it 2-3x a week, mainly because I'd forget the other days. It's only been recently since I became more diligent about doing it every day.

I am also going to start using a toner afterward to make sure I'm getting all the oil residue off.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
Sad
Ugh, I hate trial and error Mad

Thanks, though, guys. I have already spent so much money on just finding a cleanser that works. It's ridiculous. Oh well, fingers crossed. Never give up fighting the good fight, I suppose. Smile

I usually try and get a sample of whatever product.
Sometimes if you even contact the actual manufacturer they might have samples they can mail you.
I kind of figure if I can't get a sample of a product then they company probably does not want me buying their products.

I'd say at least 90% of the skincare I have s because I had tried samples and likes those items.

The only thngs I do not really sample are makeup shades unless it is foundation.
miss mei
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:22 am      Reply with quote
I love the Cetaphil and Clarisonic combo! I think it is the absolute best!!! I find it helpful for light-medium makeup.

My purging periods last for up to two weeks. Boo to purging!

I find that purging periods are less if you get onto things sooner too. Makes sense Smile

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |