Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Water and your complexion
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
I am not sure if this will apply to everyone, but would like to share.

Like most kids, my 8-year old son used to have snow white skin with apple cheeks. Since he started full-day school, his complexion has changed to darker and darker (not from suntan), the skin tone has changed to Obama-look. His hands and feet are very dry and rough.

2 weeks ago, we had a long week-end, he did not go to school for 5 days, I realize that he only drinks a cup of water a day. Like most moms, I always remind him, drink water, drink water in the school, I don't think he listens.

I force him to drink at least 3-4 cups a day during the 5-day break, his complexion gets better the next day. The more water he drinks, the better complexion he has. His feet and hands are also softened in a few days.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Wow...very interesting! Maybe you could get him to drink more before or after school each day?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Wow...very interesting! Maybe you could get him to drink more before or after school each day?

That's what I am trying to do, force him to drink one glass before breakfast. He arrives home after 4:30 pm and sleep at 8:00 pm, I can maxi force him to drink 3 glasses. I don't give juices, it's very difficult to train kids to love drinking water.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
It's actually quite amazing, even when he changes to Obama skin tone, he still have apple cheeks. I have spoken to a few drs, and none can give me an explanation. 6 months ago, one Chinese TCM did say he is not drining enough water from listing to his pulse, I did not pay good attention to his advice.

I always explain to kids that how important is water, as kids are approximately 70% water. They will question me how can water change to their blood, flesh, bone etc....
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:46 am      Reply with quote
I always drink alot of water. But I wished drinking water would really make a difference in my skin. Do you think drinling alkaline water makes a difference?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:39 am      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
I always drink alot of water. But I wished drinking water would really make a difference in my skin. Do you think drinling alkaline water makes a difference?

You mean buying an alkaline water machine? expensive investment though!
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:04 am      Reply with quote
ya! do you think it makes any difference? I keep hearing about it in my country.

Oh hey I've been meaning to ask you. What skincare products do you use? Your skin is so smooth and glowy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
ya! do you think it makes any difference? I keep hearing about it in my country.

Oh hey I've been meaning to ask you. What skincare products do you use? Your skin is so smooth and glowy.

"Diamond Water Machine" is very popular, heard of it? I'm also interested in a Panasonic one, very expensive and my husband questioned if it works & worth. Anyway, a friend's friend bought a "Diamond", besides drinking, she also uses it for facial and she said her yellow complexion has brighten after using alkaline water.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
I am using whatever I have on my table, I used to use OBAGI for 2-3 days/week, but my skin is getting very sensitive with Retin-A these days and I need to stop. My face is red and itchy even a tiny dot of Retin-A.

Daily routine:
Obagi cleanser
Obagi toner or Olay Regenerist lotion
Mernard eye base (like a serum), follow by Valmont eye cream
Valmont 24 hours cream or Olay Regenerist cream or La Colline Cellular Matrix Serum(I really love La Colline, I am considering to use La Colline whole collection when I finish all the leftover)

P.S. I emailed you my latest pic.
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
wow your routine is so simple! I think you're born with good skin. I use so much more products than you do and my skin is worse than yours. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
wow your routine is so simple! I think you're born with good skin. I use so much more products than you do and my skin is worse than yours. Laughing

have you tried drinking Japanese enzyme? I've heard it is very good for skin.

I've invested on SK2 lotion mask (the paper mask is soak with serum/lotion), use the same mask for 3 days (as it is still wet), it gives a WOW result, have you tried it before?
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Do you mean this? Nattokinase? I'm going to read up on that. I take other supplements for skin like antioxidants.
I've heard good stuff about SKII too but I cant afford it right now. next time! Thanks for your advice.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
Do you mean this? Nattokinase? I'm going to read up on that. I think other supplements for skin like antioxidants.
I've heard good stuff about SKII too but I cant afford it right now. next time! Thanks for your advice.

the SK2 mask that I bought it's not expensive, I bought on in-flight, it cost USD10 per mask, and I can use it for 3 days. Better than going to a salon.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Japanese enzyme

http://www.angeltong.com.hk/product.php?cate=1

But I never try, you can take a look.
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:09 am      Reply with quote
I was drinking loads for a while but then I thought it might be washing out the nutrients from the food I was eating. I was drinking nearly four litres/ day and I was eating a lot of healthy stuff but I just looked washed out all the time.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:32 am      Reply with quote
To me drinking water is a fundamental thing we should take action for doing, simply because it takes the stress off our skin by helping to eliminate toxins from the body. If we don't drink sufficient amounts of water, then our bodies have to work overtime and use additional resources. The skin's primary function is that of protection from bacteria and other sources, and its without doubt the body's largest organ but its also got the job of expelling toxins, and so if a person is drinking insufficient amounts of water, their bodies have to work extra hard to rid themselves of the toxins.

I'm not so sure that its difficult to train kids to drink water if we treat them like adults and explain the advantages of it. Although I've not got any children of my own, I've been lucky enough (when I studied nutrition) to work with adults and children, and children were by far my favourite case studies as they were both upfront and completely unembarassed to talk about anything - symptons, going to the toilet, getting up in the night, etc and so for us students at the time they were ideal patients. The way I've got children to get into the habit (which is all it is after all) is by both encouraging them to carry round a bottle of water with them during their day (and with the parents particularly I encouraged them to get a jug of water by their desks) but also explaining the advantages and showing symptons of what not drinking water will do. This is a shock tactic and won't obviously be to everyones liking but the best example I often give is that of a prune and raisin and asking them to examine the texture and skin of both, and then explaining that one has had water and one hasn't and usually by the end of that conversation they're actually asking for a glass of water (it works that well). Just like adults, once they know the advantages are in their favour and the benefits they will usually make an effort, and usually like most things it takes about 21-28 days for it to become an unconscious one.

Now an important side note here - obviously its important too that they don't overload their bodies with water (and thus put more stress on their kidneys and also throw their electrolytes out of balance) so its wise to get them not to drink more than a glass an hour (and especially not a litre all at once as that will do more harm).

It won't wash out all the nutrients your taking, but it will wash out any over carrying ones you have in your body.

Whats a major important thing though I believe is to make sure that your body is using the water, and usually for most of us we've gone through a time period of not hydrating ourselves properly and then expect our bodies to rehydrate themselves over night. When the body goes into dehydration alert, it does so as a means of protecting itself (so it believes its actually doing a good thing and it is), but the trouble happens when the dehydration alert goes unattended to.

This is where I believe oils come in, as they literally help our livers both functionally but also allowing the cells to be prepared for the water. I know that in the UK flax seed oil is one of the best for our climates (and interestingly enough its composition of Omega 3, 6 and 9 changes depending on where its farmed). So for example, in the mediterean it contains a lot more 6 than 3, and some 9. In the UK it contains a lower ration of 6 than the mediterean but a higher ratio of 3, and so on. So it kind of adapts to the environment and when you think of where we live, and the effects the environment has on us generally, it seems like mother nature is helping us out still even with that aspect of the aging process.

One of the best books on water I have read and recommend to people interested in it is the book "your body's many cries for water" which is written by a Dr and goes into such depth and detail.

I've always regarded dehydration as the first step in the aging process simply because its kind of where the body goes into an activity which is not beneficial to it long term (and it does so out of trying to protect itself) but if allowed to continue coating the cells in cholestrol (as this prevents water and nutrients and electrolytes going into and out of the cells themselves).

Although science is always skeptical about how important water is to the skin, in the natural and naturopathic worlds, water consumption has been written about since the early 1900's.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:47 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK: thanks for the information and suggested reading. I will increase my water consumption again. I guess drinking evenly throughout the day is important. At times I was drinking way more than one cup an hour and that might have been the problem.

What I have been wondering about recently is if there is anything to the quality of water(not talking about plainly undrinkable like in some countries). There is so much about alkaline/ smaller moleculed water etc now and I don't know if it is rubbish or if there is something to it. I know I don't want fluoride that's for sure. There is so much to figure out to find out what is the best filter to get.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:37 am      Reply with quote
TTD wrote:
SeanySeanUK: thanks for the information and suggested reading. I will increase my water consumption again. I guess drinking evenly throughout the day is important. At times I was drinking way more than one cup an hour and that might have been the problem.

What I have been wondering about recently is if there is anything to the quality of water(not talking about plainly undrinkable like in some countries). There is so much about alkaline/ smaller moleculed water etc now and I don't know if it is rubbish or if there is something to it. I know I don't want fluoride that's for sure. There is so much to figure out to find out what is the best filter to get.

One very important thing to filter out of your water aside from fluoride is chlorine! We can all take the best probiotics out there but they won't do a blessed bit of good if we drink chlorinated water, killing off all the beneficial flora in out digestive tracts! Exclamation

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Well I think its one of the best ways of helping our bodies to help itself. If you don't give it water, the skin has to work overtime to remove the toxins, and that can't be good for it long term. Plus you find that drinking water, although initially you may find your body needs to go to the toilet more often, it doesn't last very long as your body learns to adapt to both using the water effectively rather than just passing it through. Quality of water is important. I'm in agreement with Darkmoon, that filtering both fluoride and chlorine are good options. What I have found though is that there are some fiilters which market themselves as not only removing nasty ingredients from water, but putting good things into the water which I'm incredibly weary of, as to me its still changing the water quality and content. I think filtered water is a great thing, but if its a filter that supposedily replenishes the water I'm weary (and more and more companies are saying this nowadays it surprises me).

If you look at Emoto's work on water and the hidden messages in water, you can see how even music, or kind/horrible words can change the chemistry. When you consider that our bodies are supposidly 70% water, it amazes me how much power we have to make our bodies healthy with things like peaceful classical music, or positive affirming affirmations as well as good diet and lifestyles.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:29 am      Reply with quote
I'll just chime in that on days where I don't drink enough water or balance my omega-3s with my omega-6 fatty acids, I definitely notice significant changes in skin hydration and complexion. I'm totally sold on the connection.

TTD wrote:
There is so much about alkaline/ smaller moleculed water etc now

As a science person, I feel that I have an obligation to say that I think most of it is a scam. See http://www.chem1.com/CQ/clusqk.html#REAL for example. None of my friends doing research in chemistry, physics, or materials science have ever seen such so-called clusters under the microscope or any sort of advanced imaging device. Same thing with these water vortex machines. I doubt that the alkaline water really does much, but at least that change to the water is verifiable and measure-able, even though there is no published or otherwise verifiable/reputable evidence of health benefits.

My advice would be just to (1) invest in a quality water filtration device, according to your budget, and (2) drinks *lots* of water. That's it--that's the 20% that will bring you 80% of the results when it comes to water. And I wouldn't bother with the rest Smile

Just my perspective. Genuinely hope this helps! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree cm I just want water as nature intended it H2O minus nasty additions like toxins that find their way into the water supply either through pollution or added to kill off bacteria ect. I know drinking chlorine has negative impact on our digestive tracts and fluoride has it's issues as well. I don't buy the special waters sold are anything we need just slick marketing. JMO

cm5597 wrote:
I'll just chime in that on days where I don't drink enough water or balance my omega-3s with my omega-6 fatty acids, I definitely notice significant changes in skin hydration and complexion. I'm totally sold on the connection.

TTD wrote:
There is so much about alkaline/ smaller moleculed water etc now

As a science person, I feel that I have an obligation to say that I think most of it is a scam. See http://www.chem1.com/CQ/clusqk.html#REAL for example. None of my friends doing research in chemistry, physics, or materials science have ever seen such so-called clusters under the microscope or any sort of advanced imaging device. Same thing with these water vortex machines. I doubt that the alkaline water really does much, but at least that change to the water is verifiable and measure-able, even though there is no published or otherwise verifiable/reputable evidence of health benefits.

My advice would be just to (1) invest in a quality water filtration device, according to your budget, and (2) drinks *lots* of water. That's it--that's the 20% that will bring you 80% of the results when it comes to water. And I wouldn't bother with the rest Smile

Just my perspective. Genuinely hope this helps! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
cm: thanks for your science perspective.

I really want to get a filter this weekend but it is so difficult to figure out what is the best one to get. Actually as you said cm will get one one that does best poss for budget I am on this year. I want one that works in a jug/ not fixed to the tap as I am renting and don't want to attach anything/ do any plumbing stuff.
If anybody has any recomendations pls let me know. I am checking out Waterman at moment and will see if there are any good reviews for it: http://www.idetox.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=74
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
If I am not mistaken there is one that attaches at the faucet, just unscrew the regular tip and screw the filter on, really super simple and you can just switch it back when you move so it goes with you. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Fluoride is not a problem. The levels are very, very low but beneficial to decrease tooth decay for old and young. MANY natural water levels have much higher fluoride than what is put into a municipal supply. Just thought those who care would want to know this. there are a lot of scare tactics out there but check the American Cancer Society site or the Surgeon General's - this will help allay fears. Hope this helps:)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Like many of our professional colleagues, we long held a belief that the practice of water fluoridation was highly beneficial and relatively low-risk. Currently, we feel otherwise. We are now convinced that it is of small benefit, and carries an unacceptably large risk.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/drsrichkarileeshames/a/fluoridechange.htm

Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |