Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

why are you using Retin-A (& Obagi)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
I have used OBAGI for 10+ years, I recenly found I can't stand with Retin-A anymore, my skin is very red and itchy even with a tiny dot of Retin-A. And it takes a few days to recover, I am askng myself, why do I have to use something which will make myself ugly? I got lots of praise on non-OBAGI days.

The reason I use OBAGI & Retin A is I love seeing my dull skin peel (not really for Anti-Aging purpose).

Night : OBAGI & Retin-A
Day 1 am: Red & itchy
Day 1 pm : OBAGI & Retin A
Day 2 am : Starting to peel around my mouth (red everywhere)
Day 2 pm : peel easily by rubbing with wet fingers
Day 3 am : Continuous to peel - very ugly and need to use other product until Day 6

I will only look better in Day 7.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
After consulting here, I have tried to use OBAGI on every alternative days like below:

Day 1 - OBAGI
Day 2 - Non-OBAGI
Day 3 - OBAGI
Day 4 - Non-OBAGI

The result is, I look ugly everyday.

My conclusion : Maybe OBAGI is something I no longer need after 10+ years? Or, I should simply use an exfoliator?
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
I used the whole system for 11 weeks with Retin-A and drop out because I could not stand the dryness and peeling anymore. I was peeling manually the skin myself and that is not good at all and could not stop.

It did help my hyper-pigmentation and under eye circles a lot... these ones have not returned..yeah! Now I only use the hydroquinone in Obagi without Retin-A but it is not as effective as with the other products. I might have to go back to Retin-A at its very lowest concentration or Tazorac... I don't know yet.

What products in the Obagi system are you using?
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
Oh critic! I just realized you are the same lady who introduced the Tanaka massage, right?

What do you mean it makes you look ugly if people praise your pictures and you yourself say people say people tell you you look much younger than your real age? I did not know you were also using Obagi at the same time.

Yep! having a clear complexion, free of any dark patches from melasma or hyper-pigmentation can make us look 10 years younger.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it's me - Tanaka woman. I only look good on non-OBAGI days, I always have people question me, "What happen to your face today?" And, don't really go into details about I am using OBAGI.

So, my skin looks very good in one week, very bad in another week. That's the reason I am struggling if I should stop Retin-A and use a product which is more hydrated. Don't you feel your skin is dehydrated with OBAGI?

I have used OBAGI for too many years (on/off maybe 12 years), it really clear my freckles in the first round, I can't say it is totally useless after first round, but besides peeling, it really does not do much for my skin.

I have almost quitted OBAGI this year after starting Tanaka massage, but the OBAGI set is sitting on the table (I threw away the Sunfader after it turns to yellow), so use it once a while and have problem whenever using it.
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
critic wrote:
Yes, it's me - Tanaka woman. I only look good on non-OBAGI days, I always have people question me, "What happen to your face today?" And, don't really go into details about I am using OBAGI.

So, my skin looks very good in one week, very bad in another week. That's the reason I am struggling if I should stop Retin-A and use a product which is more hydrated. Don't you feel your skin is dehydrated with OBAGI?

I have used OBAGI for too many years (on/off maybe 12 years), it really clear my freckles in the first round, I can't say it is totally useless after first round, but besides peeling, it really does not do much for my skin.

I have almost quitted OBAGI this year after starting Tanaka massage, but the OBAGI set is sitting on the table (I threw away the Sunfader after it turns to yellow), so use it once a while and have problem whenever using it.

Ok, these were the products that I used in the Obagi Nuderm treatment:
The facewash, the toner, the Exfoderm, the Clear and the Blender that you use with Retin-A. I used them for my hyper-pigmentation problem and ended up also working for my under eye circles, greatly appreciated! I used all of them with the Sunfader for 11 weeks. Yes, my skin felt very dry and some wrinkles developed. Stupid me, I used them even on my neck and chest Sad and the chest wrinkles are there to stay, I did not developed wrinkles on my neck, just a bit around the edges of my nostrils and along the cheek, starting from the nose bridge that have faded to my luck!!! the ones on the edges of my nostrils are still there and hope they fade.
Overall, my skin was very dry at the end of the 11 weeks and needed immediate hydration. I have done everything I could and it seems it is working slowly but steady.

I don't think I will do the whole treatment again with the Exfoderm and washing my face twice a day. I never washed my face before, only cleaned it with coldcream or oils from Clarins and rinse. I think so much washing contributed to the dryness.

Now, for the Retin-A, I don't know what to think anymore. I read and read in this forum that it is kind of the holy grail and there is scientific evidence, etc., but if you have been using it for 12 years that might be also the reason you keep in such good shape plus Tanaka massage, of course! I only wished my skin could tolerate Retin-a now to tell you the truth, which it used to do, but now I am very scared. I think after certain age our skin is also less tolerant Sad
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
I also look much better on non-Obagi days, but when I stop using Obagi alltogether, my skin looks dull all the time Very Happy

So when you're on Obagi at least you look good on Day 7!
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Obagi for 5 years. I use it every Wed and Sun now. It works well on me!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:04 am      Reply with quote
critic wrote:

The reason I use OBAGI & Retin A is I love seeing my dull skin peel (not really for Anti-Aging purpose).

I think if that is the only reason you are still using Obagi, and it is not to keep pigmentation off, then you could find another exfoliator to use when you need one.
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Obagi has worked wonders for my melasma but since being on maintenance my skin is quite oily and I'm breaking out a bit on "off-obagi" days and on "on-obagi" days I peel...

All in all I'm much happier than before Obagi 7 months ago Smile
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
chorally wrote:
I have been using Obagi for 5 years. I use it every Wed and Sun now. It works well on me!

Maybe I should try to do it on Wed and Sun.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have given up to use Obagi & Retin-A, I believe I can no long tolerate them.
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
I agree about Retin-a. I finally had to ask myself, why am I using something that is making my skin look like a hot irritated peeling mess all the time? Not worth it! Tempted to try retinaldehyde products though.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
I got excellent result when I first used OBAGI, though red like a tomato for 3+ months.

I am now using exfoliator (2-3 times/week), mainly on my nose and around my mouth, there are many tiny lumps under my lip. (can't see but feel it when I do my massage).

I am also doing lotion mask (Madame Saeki), my skin has finally back to normal and feel hydrated.
aboat

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:39 am      Reply with quote
It is said that one gets used to Retin A after some time. there are people who have been using it for over 30 years. Looks like you still have reaction to it after 10 years of application? This is a bit scary, or just that different people have different experiences?
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:29 am      Reply with quote
aboat wrote:
It is said that one gets used to Retin A after some time. there are people who have been using it for over 30 years. Looks like you still have reaction to it after 10 years of application? This is a bit scary, or just that different people have different experiences?

I believe different people have different reaction to Retin A. I used to be very OK in the past, but don't know why can't tolerate it anymore these few months.
SandraD4880
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
critic,

did you give up on the 301 (or whatever that alkaline based skincare routine) you were very happy with before? Did I miss something?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:56 am      Reply with quote
SandraD4880 wrote:
critic,

did you give up on the 301 (or whatever that alkaline based skincare routine) you were very happy with before? Did I miss something?

Hi, I never use 301. Here is my non-OBAGI routine and I am happy with it:

A.M.
OBAGI cleanser
Lotion mask (KOSE lotion)
La Colline Cellular Perfect Hydration Serum
Eye base from a Japan brand + Valmont eye cream

P.M.
OBAGI cleanser
Lotion mask (KOSE lotion)
Skin Biology CP serum
KOSE cream
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |