Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can I use glycolic acid with retin-a?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
I am using micro retin-a at the moment, and not really seeing any irritation apart from dryness around the mouth. Can I use a glycolic acid peel or microdermabrasion (epidermx), or avon peel pads which have glycolic acid in them every other night as I was doing before?

Would appreciate some advice, Im really scared of messing my skin up, esp in summer!

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
You can use them together, but if you are worried, I would definitely not use them on the same night at least to start with. I would also only use the glycolic once a week to start with to see how your skin does with both of them.
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
thanks! I was planning on using it every other night when im not using retina, as I use the retin-a every other night too

will try it tonight and see how my skin fares Shock

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck, mowgli. Just take it nice and slow and you should be fine!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
You definitely need to keep them at least 12 hours apart!

I am going to be adding retinol back into my treatment regimen, and I think I will go with every other night as well.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:47 am      Reply with quote
thanks all - my skin is fine, been a week and a half since i started micro retina, and the glycolic pads dnt seem to irritate, so all is fine!

I did read this on the leslie baumanns skin guru blog, in case anyone was wondering about using them at the same time!

•4. Do not mix glycolic or salicylic acid with hydroquinone, retinol or vitamin C. Acid breaks down these ingredients and renders them useless.

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:47 am      Reply with quote
mowgli wrote:
thanks all - my skin is fine, been a week and a half since i started micro retina, and the glycolic pads dnt seem to irritate, so all is fine!

I did read this on the leslie baumanns skin guru blog, in case anyone was wondering about using them at the same time!

•4. Do not mix glycolic or salicylic acid with hydroquinone, retinol or vitamin C. Acid breaks down these ingredients and renders them useless.

I don't believe that one, but that is just my opinion. Murad uses C and glycolic acid, Obagi uses hydroquinone, C, retinoid, and glycolic acid. Too many lines use the combination for me to totally buy that. Now, maybe with a "retinol" the weaker form of A it may, but with a "retinoid" it will actually help the retinoid penetrate deeper. All of this is of course just my 2 cents!
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:44 am      Reply with quote
im no expert on this, only just looking into this myself, but I think the point was not to mix these ingrdients if they are separate products. She mentioned that it was ok to use if they had been formulated together, giving the example of tri-luma, which has HQ and something else - I'm not sure how these ingredients are stabilised against each other though..

I generally only use one of these at a time anyway, so no issue for me at the moment!

Btw, my skin is looking really good, can retin-a have this effect in 10 days already?? Will continue with this cycle of retin-a and glycolic peel pads

GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:44 am      Reply with quote
mowgli wrote:

Btw, my skin is looking really good, can retin-a have this effect in 10 days already??

Some times it can take a few weeks for irritation or purging to set in. It may not happen for you but just know incase it does.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
mowgli wrote:

I don't believe that one, but that is just my opinion. Murad uses C and glycolic acid, Obagi uses hydroquinone, C, retinoid, and glycolic acid. Too many lines use the combination for me to totally buy that. Now, maybe with a "retinol" the weaker form of A it may, but with a "retinoid" it will actually help the retinoid penetrate deeper. All of this is of course just my 2 cents!

Products with both are usually formulated much differently if they are combined, for a variety of reasons. However, I did find this quote to be a bit contrary to what what Dr. B said:

Quote:
Cosmeceutical Agents: A Comprehensive Review
of the Literature

Thomas C. Tsai, BS and Basil M. Hantash
Program for Regenerative Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA.

GA and retinaldehyde (RAL) have distinct and complementary activities in skin care, but when utilized together cause increased irritation. However, when formulated together as RALGA, increased skin delivery of RA into the skin is achieved without the typical side effects commonly associated with high concentrations of topical RA.[45]

Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |