Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Article: Botox Limits Ability to Feel Emotions
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
havana8

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
This is interesting--

Quote:
Botox Limits Ability to Feel Emotions

Davis and his Barnard colleague Ann Senghas led a team of researchers who showed people emotionally charged videos both before and after they were injected with either Botox, or Restylane — a substance injected into lips or facial wrinkles that fills out sagging skin. Restylane was used as a control because it simply adds filler but doesn't limit the movement of muscles.

Compared with the control group, the Botox participants "exhibited an overall significant decrease in the strength of emotional experience," the researchers wrote in a paper published in the June issue of the journal Emotion. In particular, the Botox group responded less strongly to mildly positive clips after they had the injections than before the Botox.

The full article can be found here on Live Science:
http://www.livescience.com/health/botox-limits-emotions-100622.html

Botox May Deaden Not Just Nerves, But Emotions, Too
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2010/02/09/botox-may-deaden-not-just-nerves-but-emotions-too/
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
This seems pretty scary to me!!

I am using Safe-tox with great results, wonder if this would have the same effect on a person as Botox?? Smile
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm finding this hard to believe. I don't think my emotions are born out of frowning. Emotions seem to come from deep within, or perhaps, the heart. Having recently lost both my parents, I've been on a roller coaster of emotions - none of which seem to have been dulled by my forehead full of Botox.

How did they determine that these people weren't feeling the emotions? - it's not really fully explained. And does this equate with Botox being an antidepressant? - I doubt it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe less emotion would make my work days a little more tolerable! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:08 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Yep, sounds like a good reason for more Botox to me!! Sometimes I wouldn't mind my senses numbed along with my wrinkles!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:41 am      Reply with quote
I have not noticed that to be true at all. Bottom line.....I want to use it because it makes me look a LOT younger...in 2 days...instant gratification!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I'm finding this hard to believe. I don't think my emotions are born out of frowning. Emotions seem to come from deep within, or perhaps, the heart. Having recently lost both my parents, I've been on a roller coaster of emotions - none of which seem to have been dulled by my forehead full of Botox.

How did they determine that these people weren't feeling the emotions? - it's not really fully explained. And does this equate with Botox being an antidepressant? - I doubt it.

I can't imagine this either, I think it works in the reverse our emotions and thoughts cause expressions, but just because the muscles aren't allowing those expressions wouldn't cause lack of the actual emotion? What about people with say bell's palsy and stroke survivors do we think they suddenly feel less? I don't think so.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Are you not scared about it ending up elsewhere though? I read a local newspaper over here in the UK, and it seemed to suggest that as it was a fluid, the real long term disadvantages had just started emerging and it was found that it travelled into the brain, and around the body. Knowing my luck, I'd get it done, and it would end up somewhere I needed movement rather than my forehead.

Do you have pics Lucy that you can show us of you without it and with it?
lucyluc wrote:
I have not noticed that to be true at all. Bottom line.....I want to use it because it makes me look a LOT younger...in 2 days...instant gratification!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:50 am      Reply with quote
there are plenty of pics on the net showing before after pics....I only use it for the crows feet since I dont really have wrinkles in forehead and have bangs anyway. Its been used safely for over 10 yrs.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
What about people with say bell's palsy and stroke survivors do we think they suddenly feel less? I don't think so.

Good point!

Botox has been used for over twenty years for the treatment of Cerebral Palsy.

I asked my doctor about the study which stated that Botox can end up in the brain. She was very well informed about it and said that the study was done on mice and was completely flawed - she said the mice were given massive doses of Botox injected directly into the brain, which produced the adverse effects.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
What about people with say bell's palsy and stroke survivors do we think they suddenly feel less? I don't think so.

Good point!

Botox has been used for over twenty years for the treatment of Cerebral Palsy.

I asked my doctor about the study which stated that Botox can end up in the brain. She was very well informed about it and said that the study was done on mice and was completely flawed - she said the mice were given massive doses of Botox injected directly into the brain, which produced the adverse effects.

OMG - Well if they injected it directy into the brain of the mice OF COURSE it's going to end up there Rolling Eyes Razz Talk about flawed! (That's the problem with many scientific "studies")....

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Should be listed as one of the advantages to Botox Laughing
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:02 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
OMG - Well if they injected it directy into the brain of the mice OF COURSE it's going to end up there Rolling Eyes Razz Talk about flawed! (That's the problem with many scientific "studies")....

Someone has PMed me with the link to the actual study - apparently, the Botox was injected into the whisker muscles as well as the brain - you can read it here:

http://journals.lww.com/neurotodayonline/Fulltext/2008/06050/Study_Finds_Botulinum_Toxin_Spreads_to_CNS_Tissue.13.aspx

The study was conducted in 2008 and is raised from time to time on this Forum. It certainly doesn't seem to have impacted on the popularity of Botox though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:26 am      Reply with quote
I have had botox and I don't think my emotions and expressing/felling them have changed a bit. I don't think I will do a botox treatment again because I got bunny lines or it deepened them.
I am starting to think that since botox paralyzed the muscles in the crows' feet area then the other muscles where my bunny lines reside had to work harder to compensate; this is just my theory.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:
I have had botox and I don't think my emotions and expressing/felling them have changed a bit. I don't think I will do a botox treatment again because I got bunny lines or it deepened them.
I am starting to think that since botox paralyzed the muscles in the crows' feet area then the other muscles where my bunny lines reside had to work harder to compensate; this is just my theory.

I am not sure if my emotions changed also, but how much it helped keep my face straight at the most very difficult times of my life. I found that trying to make a negative facial expression was difficult to do when on Botox and slowly changed my negative attitude to neutral or simply positive. Part was that trying to make negative expression gave me a headache.

I'm off it now and thought I had no problems getting off of it, but last fall/winter was the H1N1 outbreak. I decided to get the H1N1 flu shot and that very same day, I got the flu, but not H1N1. After four days of having a fever, it broke, but had this massive headache and had to go to the hospital. CAT was done and no extra fluid in the brain. So I really don't believe that Botox can add any extra fluid to the brain, but my theory is that perhaps that once Botox was out of my system, making any negative facial expression would give me bad headaches.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
Lets see most women needing Botox are perimenopausal age so being less angry, less depressed and crying less is not a bad thing! What I have learned from these studies is that whenever you are going to give mega doses to your experimental subjects then bad things will happend!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:27 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
... but my theory is that perhaps that once Botox was out of my system, making any negative facial expression would give me bad headaches.

I don't understand that at all. Actually, Botox is supposed to help keep headaches at bay. I suffer from migraines and I know it helps me, it's basically the main reason why I like to have it.

Surely, our faces are in a constant state of flux - we're constantly making facial expressions all the time - without thinking. I don't think about whether I'm going to make a negative or a positive facial expression, they just happen, depending on my mood. Our expressions are brought on by our feelings. And our forehead muscles move all the time, you would have to have a headache 24/7.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:06 am      Reply with quote
I got off of Botox and to me, it appears from that massive headache, there was no extra liquid in my brain. I think that when you get off Botox, your headache can come back for a short period of time because your brain is remembering how to make those facial expression that you haven't done in years.
I could be wrong or simply my headache was part of my flu that I had. Since then, I never had that experience again.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I got off of Botox and to me, it appears from that massive headache, there was no extra liquid in my brain. I think that when you get off Botox, your headache can come back for a short period of time because your brain is remembering how to make those facial expression that you haven't done in years.
I could be wrong or simply my headache was part of my flu that I had. Since then, I never had that experience again.

When you use Botox, your brain does not forget how to make facial expressions - your muscles simply become unable to make them. Your brain is NOT affected by Botox.

It is common to get a headache the first couple of times Botox is injected - but I have never heard of a constant headache from making facial expressions after it has worn off. It's most likely that the headache was a symptom of your flu virus.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:14 am      Reply with quote
In my case, one of the (many) reasons I love Botox is that I get fewer tension headaches. I think some of my tension headaches generate from the "elevens" area. When I can't tense those muscles, which several people including a plastic surgeon, have told me are very strong in my case, I don't get the headaches. Of course, the other side effects are wonderful too! Very Happy

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |