Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Thinking of nursing school- would like feedback....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I am hoping some nurses (and non-nurses) can give me some feedback. I live in Victoria and can't move out of the city (my daughter's dad lives here). I have my education degree and have an ok job here (not teaching because there are NO teaching jobs here). I have been accepted into the RN program for the fall and am unsure if I should go ahead with it or not. I get some credit for my other degree but it is still a 4 year program. I am really passionate about working in the "heatlh" care field, with new moms, pre-natal courses, maybe even in a skin care/laser clinic BUT I am not keen on working in a hospital/sick care.

I've heard there is a "shortage" of nurses or going to be yet there is a nursing hiring freeze in this province. As a single mom, taking this on would be a big deal and at this stage in my life, not sure if I want to do it unless I know there will be opportunities when I am finished.

I am also thinking of pursuing a masters but don't want to do that either unless is qualifies me for a higher paying job (which it won't necessarily and I'm having trouble deciding what area I would do a masters in that would allow doors to open for me in this city).

I would really appreciate comments from anyone that has an opinion on this.....
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
I think the nursing field is a great field to get in to. There will always be a need for nurses. I would go into this myself, but it would take me 4 years going part-time just to get a 2 year degree. The only thing is you said you don't want to work in hospitals or with sick people. That puts a question mark in my mind if you are really wanting to be a nurse or not. There are other fields in health care, have you checked into them?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Nursing will open a broad variety of options to you. It is a field of today and the future. As our society ages more and more options will be available. And there are teaching opportunities in colleges. You can do so much with a Master's Degree also - administration, insurance work - it's AMAZING what is out there in this field. If you do a little research you will have Eyes Wide Open. Love it - Go For It.

I teach in a college/university in Health Sciences so I know what I speak! Good Luck. A lot of work can be done on-line in a Master's program while you maintain full-time work - this is a bonus of today's student.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
Mmm... if you are in BC you know that there is a shortage of nurses, well, actually everywhere and probably you got accepted at UBC? which is really good. If you like the profession but don't like the setting, there is something to be done like private nursing or maybe other settings...mmm.. teaching?... the important is you like caring for sick people and the health sciences.

I would love to take care of sick people but I can't see blood nor seeing people dying and that stopped me from entering nursing, which is ok, I love my actual profession anyway.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
I am a Registered Nurse. I do still love my job, I am in my late 30's, have been doing it for nearly 20 years. (years ago it was a 2 year program, now it is 4 years).

There are many different areas to pick from, also I like the 12 hours shifts, (work approx. 12 days in a 4 week block in a full time roster)

The pay (after MANY years) is finally good! A nurse with 20 years base pay is approx. $90,000 a year, plus extra pay for nights, week-ends, charge pay, ect. Many senior nurses make over a $100,000 a year. This also depends on what province you are in, varies place to place. (this does not include OT pay, which many nurses work due to the shortage).

The job can be quite demanding though, esp. depending on the area you are working on. Good luck! Very Happy
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Forgot to add I currently work on a Post-Partum unit/nursery, which I really like!

But lately there are soooo many social situations, it can be very sad as well. You can sure see how society is changing. Smile
snowymtn
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Lipglossdoll, yay, I had no idea!

I too am an RN, ICU and ER.

It's quite stressful, but the 3 12 hour shifts are awesome, with 4 days off every week.

Even in this tough economy, almost all nurses have plenty of work, which is something to be said in itself!

Having a specialty is great, whether it is ER, ICU, Surgery, or skincare. I know nurses who work in med spas and have been sent to training for laser, botox, etc, and they do well...I personally would be bored with that I think, but there are so many options.

The first 2 years are the most stressful, and as your confidence and skills grow it gets much better.

Good luck to you!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:20 am      Reply with quote
I'm a former pediatric trauma ICU RN, I got sick with chronic fatigue syndrome and had to stop working.

I believe my CFS was due in part from sleep deprivation, and I caution anyone who has to work night shift, if you're like me and CANNOT sleep during the day don't think it's mind over matter and sleep deprivation won't destroy your health, it will.

Having said that I loved trauma,ICU and transport. If I had to do again knowing what I do I would also have gone into salon work. I know a lot of former ICU RNs who run cosmetic salons and do all kinds of procedures etc and make great money.

If you do go into nursing don't forget, it's just as important to take care of yourself as it is the patients.

Also my license has brought me all kinds of free lance work and I've been hired to write 2 books and have had a lot of exposure from that. Your license and experience can open many doors that don't involve hospitals or patient care.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if it's the same in BC as the states but my oldest daughter's friend just got her RN a few years ago, and her last year were all clinicals, so hands on in a hospital and no pay. Check that out, I know between clinicals and regular school work she couldn't swing a job also. She was lucky that parents picked up the tab and supported her that final year.
Good Luck whatever your choice. Smile

Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |